Saints Row the Third question

So I'm planning on buying the game no matter what but I was just wondering how the customisation side of it is, would it be possible to great some kind of bat based vigilante who drives around in a pimp out car beating people with baseball bats.

Plus how does it shape up to Saints Row 2 which I adore?

I haven't actually got the game so take what I say with a mountain of salt. Fan feedback seems to suggest that SR2 was the superior game. SR2 had a better story and more clothes customization but SR3 has better visuals, animations and character creation customization.

Lethos:
I haven't actually got the game so take what I say with a mountain of salt. Fan feedback seems to suggest that SR2 was the superior game. SR2 had a better story and more clothes customization but SR3 has better visuals, animations and character creation customization.

Well its gotten pretty cheap so it looks like its worth a pickup

Yeah it looks fun and I'll probably pick it up eventually because I also loved SR2. Just saying what I have heard :)

SR2 was by far much much better than the third. It's still a lot of fun but where the first two had a sense of not taking itself too seriously. The 3rd however strayed from that and just failed to measure up to what it seemed the dev's were trying to shoot for.

It's still worth getting but I would wait till its pretty cheap.

Recently, for the past few weeks, I've been playing the three Saints Row games back to back, so as to experience them as as a trilogy (I've played through 1 & 2 and am now on 3), and Saints Row: The Third does shape up well to the previous games.

Saints Row 2 has more content, but Saints Row: The Third is better despite being limited by it's ambitions and having to cut down on some things due to the news graphics engine and time/budget/staff constraints.

You can still be a bat based vigilante and drives around in a pimped up car, but you'll have competition from Nyte Blayde, a vampire vigilante with his own pimped out car.

You could always recruit him and a homie and fight cause crime together, he's a hilarious character and almost makes the game worth it on it's own.

Also, to help fulfil your bat based vigilante desires, there are quite a few superhero type costumes (even one with a small cape) for you to wear, plus there are a few batman like gadgets for you to use and an awesome VTOL Hover Bike.

I think you'll enjoy it and it's well worth playing, despite it's shortcomings. Some of the characters and missions are hilarious and some of the new tech is great fun to play around with.

IMHO SR3 has a really entertaining and well-crafted story campaign and slightly more polished side missions (activities). The sci-fi weapons and vehicles are a nice twist. However it did have one big problem for me, which was that Steelport seemed a lot more generic and less detailed than Stillwater (in SR2). Stillwater was packed with little architectural oddities and environments like the mall and airport interior that meant I could spend hours just exploring the world (like San Andreas). Steelport looks flashy with the giant skyscrapers and setpiece hideouts, but I found it really bland to inhabit.

Speaking of SR2 and SR3.. only SR3 has local coop, right?

Jamash:
snip

Thank you sir, you have confirmed what I thought and the game is now on its way from Amazon

StriderShinryu:

Neither of them do

I think this review explains it well.

SR 2 has a better story, more missions, the enemygangs are better, better writing, better side missions (they left good ones like Hot Fuzz, Septic avenger and others out), the character customization in SR2 is better(example: the gender slider is changed, you can`t create a really thin looking guy in the third. They keep their wide shoulders), three fighting styles, stilwater (more varied locations with more varied people - go hunt fratguys or emos in the university district or scare the yuppies downtown), a cutscene viewer, mission replay, a real mean main character.

SR 3 has better graphics, better gameplay, the action button, animated hair(looks like plastic), a few awesome storymissions, online character sharing, bulletholes.

I was a big SR fan and i love the second. The third is great for freeroam but there is to much i dislike and miss. They changed the tone and direction and now there`s sci- fi stuff and a wierd story. It`s overall less detailed and thoughtout (activities as storymissions just for the stretch, steelport looks good at first but then it`s just boring, the only switch is between industrial and skyscrapers).
It`s all a bit to silly/over the top now for my taste and i hated the changed characters and the overall writing.

This all sounds pretty downing for SR3 but you will have fun with it (freeroam+action button=win). From the tech side this game owns SR2.

@Jynthor
I should have watched that review before posting. It owns my post. Best detailed review of the third ive ever seen. Angry Joe has the same fear about SR4 and after the sucess of the third i doubt they will change the direction again.

Hazy992:

StriderShinryu:

Neither of them do

Well that sucks and I'm not sure why I thought it did. Oh well, thanks for the update, even if it's bad news.

Gabanuka:
So I'm planning on buying the game no matter what but I was just wondering how the customisation side of it is, would it be possible to great some kind of bat based vigilante who drives around in a pimp out car beating people with baseball bats.

Plus how does it shape up to Saints Row 2 which I adore?

I just wanted to say thanks - I played up to the last mission of Saints Row 3 in December, but was distracted by Skyrim before finishing. Thanks to your thread, which reminded me that I'd left SR3 unfinished, I went ahead and finished it today.

So thanks! ^^

OT: They are actually very similar on quality.
SR2: Better story, better town, more challenge, more satisfaction upon finishing the story.
SR3: Better driving (I hated driving in SR2 - it is so much better in SR3), better screwing around, ability to actually get attack helicopters (and Homies to deliver them to you).

So for stupid fun, SR3 is way better. For a good story, SR2 is way better. I loved both. ^^

General consensus seems to be that the previous game is better, but I had a lot more fun with SR3. If you're after a more RPG-ish version of GTA then go for SR2, if you're in the market for completely mad, non-stop fun then you're better off with Saints' Row III. I'm not sure I'd pay 30 for it, I got it 50% off and it was definitely worth that.

StriderShinryu:

Hazy992:

StriderShinryu:

Neither of them do

Well that sucks and I'm not sure why I thought it did. Oh well, thanks for the update, even if it's bad news.

I dunno, does SR3's hoard mode (sorry 'whored' mode) have local co-op maybe?

I have to agree that Saints Row 2 is the better game, but if you're going for the PC version of it you should be told that it's much better suited for the PC version than Saints Row 2.

As far as customization goes a lot of the DLC is made to give you more options. Still the customization is great from what I can see. Although I only customize cars. Really, I've been wearing one outfit the entire time and spent several hours trying to make all the cars in my garage look just right.

Well the game still is a lot of fun. Just be sure to use the Cockney voice. It is the best and automatically makes it much better. I was a fat guy with 80's hair, a cockney voice and a suit. Yeah that made it pretty awesome.
SR2 has better customization though.

It isn't as awesome as SR2 but it is highly entertaining. The DLC more so than the rest.

Well, it's certainly fun...

...but compared to the glorious Saints Row 2, it is pretty much just a fizzle. The comedy is usually great, the missions are diverse and enjoyable, but in order to improve on the missions themselves, the developers have made the unforgivable blunder of toning down the customization aspect. Which is a very big part of SR2's replay value. You can still mess around for hours with the cars, but character customization is pretty much crippled. You still have more options than pretty much any other current game you can think of, but for anyone who has played SR2, it is bound to come across as a disappointment.

That said, with some patience and creativity you should be able to create SOME sort of batty crime batterer. And you'll DEFINITELY be able to have fun with SR3 for at least a while!

(Basically, SR3 is to SR2 what GTA IV was to GTA: San Andreas.)

busterkeatonrules:

(Basically, SR3 is to SR2 what GTA IV was to GTA: San Andreas.)

At least GTA4 gave me a nice storyline with well written characters. SR3 failed even at this(compared to SR2). It`s nice to see people feeling the same about SR2 vs SR3. To bad SR3 got so many sales more than SR2. I bet Rockstar will listen, Volition won`t.

btw. I`m registered at the SR3 net.(self promotion ahead) If you`re interrested in playing marv (sin city) look for "MisssingCape".

EDIT: Sorry forgot to add: psn user

I played Saints Row the Third before I played The Second and the one thing I was never able to get over was that they changed the controls between Saints Row 2 and 3.

You're not a vigilante in SR3. You're just a fucking psychopath. Which is a shame, but they had to tone it up in order to match the sheer insanity of the themes in the game.

It's definitely fun as hell, but somewhere along the line it became a little too 'try hard' to be outrageous. SR2 definitely hit the sweet spot.

It's also very easy....you could chuck it up to hard difficulty though and it'll be a bit better.

Overall get it, it's a lot of fun if a little short. It definitely made me laugh. And no other game lets me skydive into a penthouse, shoot the place up all to the tune of Kanye West's 'Power'.

Jamash:

Saints Row 2 has more content, but Saints Row: The Third is better despite being limited by it's ambitions and having to cut down on some things due to the news graphics engine and time/budget/staff constraints.

And gated content. Some stuff was cut back specifically so they could sell it to you separately.

kman123:
You're not a vigilante in SR3. You're just a fucking psychopath. Which is a shame, but they had to tone it up in order to match the sheer insanity of the themes in the game.

You were already a psychopath in 2. The argument for the first is a little harder to press, but the problem isn't so much that you're a psychopath, it's that you've gone from over the top to caricature.

I am someone who has only played SR3, and seen someone else play all through SR2 on youtube, i'd have to say i'd like SR3 better. Sure SR2 had a better story and gangs, but when i look at it now, it just seems a bit outdated and the minigames are just a pain, youve got so many of them and they are all just so similar. I also really like the custimization in SR3, as well is the humor in it.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked