Why the Hatred for Black Ops?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

First of all, I have never owned a CoD game, so I am looking at this from a "outsider that has played it occasionly but has never seen it as a world of brown-ness with an online with a worse player-base than Halo.
I know that a lot of people have refused to play CoD after black ops, or just hated the game and have never gotten an answer as to why.
So what was it that people hated so much about Black Ops?

Its the 3rd time they've released it, save for a new campaign its the same mechanics, levels, and modes. Also the sheer amount of gibbering insane 10 year olds online threatening to lay your mother thrice.

Because using the same formula over and over is a crime to gamers, even though the formula is good and millions of people enjoy the game.

One very important reason for the PC gamers is that it was released as a horribly optimized, buggy mess that had a tendency to be nigh unplayable even on the beefiest rigs around due to its' shoddy porting. That it followed the cookie cutter CoD formula and didn't really do much to improve the multiplayer mode seems fairly trivial in comparsion.

The campaign was the most far-fetched of them all and the multiplayer was like MW2's but worse.

The campaign, while fun at times was just ridiculous. COD 4 had more actual black operations than Black Ops did. I mean I had fun but it was ridiculous. The multiplayer was a buggy, laggy, broken mess and zombies wasn't as fun as it was on WaW.

I thought that the Black Ops campaign had the best setting other than the original Modern Warfare. I really hated the game the first time, but actually found it quite entertaining the second time because of this. Obviously it's still not the best game in the series.

I had my fill of the multiplayer after WAW. The campaign in black ops was quite good the one time through though. But of course, short and very linear. Need a return to the greatness that was call of duty 2!

And zombies, meh. Fun for a bit but then plays out exactly the same way each time.

EcksTeaSea:
Because using the same formula over and over is a crime to gamers, even though the formula is good and millions of people enjoy the game.

See, that's the part that I don't get. It's a crime to gamers even though gamers enjoy it? I can't exactly put my finger on it, but there's a paradox in there somewhere.

Why won't people just enjoy the games they like and leave others to their own preferences?

i dont hate black ops..but i do hate the name to the sequel black ops 2..i hope its not really called that

xshadowscreamx:
i dont hate black ops..but i do hate the name to the sequel black ops 2..i hope its not really called that

Its not actually announced yet so we dont know what its gonna be called.

However this is a game being made by some of the least imaginative people still in the buisness of game development, so i wouldnt be surprised if it did turn out to be the name.

I really hate watching people being suckered into buying essentially the same game multiple times. It's frustrating that they can get away with it.

There are expansion packs for games that change up the gameplay more than most of the iterations of CoD. There's almost no reason why just every call of duty since Cod4 couldn't be Cod4 DLC. That was the last time they actually changed up the formula. People just shouldn't continually sign up to such a bad deal.

GundamSentinel:

EcksTeaSea:

See, that's the part that I don't get. It's a crime to gamers even though gamers enjoy it? I can't exactly put my finger on it, but there's a paradox in there somewhere.

Why won't people just enjoy the games they like and leave others to their own preferences?

Stagnation of any kind is bad. We as humans are very happy with where we are technologically...Does that mean we should stop progressing and stay where we are?

and battlefield is the epitome of innovation *rolls eyes* they are just as imaginative as cod makers. their formula has changed just as much as CoDs has.

BLOPs multiplayer was a laggy mess for me even on this machine that can play MW3 and BF3 on the highest settings. MW2 I spent just over 300 hours on it... BLOPs? Barely cracked 30.

The single player campaign sucked. You had to play through it a second time to 'get it'. You shouldnt have to do that...

I don't hate it. I...'nothing' it. It was just a bland experience.

jaoblia:
Its the 3rd time they've released it, save for a new campaign its the same mechanics, levels, and modes. Also the sheer amount of gibbering insane 10 year olds online threatening to lay your mother thrice.

Is that a Clone High reference I just read?

Lets see, it's an insult to every gamer with an IQ over 100, it is the same game we've seen three (now four and probably soon to be five) times before but with a minor re-skinning. I could quite literally shit a more imaginative and sensible story. Then there's the previously mentioned fact about multiplayer being a laggy, buggy mess.

I may be a slight bit biased, but i'm one of those people who wants to see games move forward, become respected for their own artistic merit. And don't try to jump on the 'but games are different than movies and books blah, blah, titty sucking blah. I likely know more about the artistic potential than 90% of the people who read this and feel incensed enough to vaguely attempt to form a reply. Please don't even bother trying, I wouldn't want to be the person responsible for making you forget to breath.

I was close to not even bothering posting this, but I've had a few drinks, I'm incredibly pissed off at the moment, and I just want to see what happens.

Speaking strictly from the multiplayer side:
1.) By far the worst maps in CoD history.
2.) Terrible gun sound effects. Most guns sound like nerf toys.
3.) HORRIBLE hit detection on 360 version. Treyarch's specialty.
4.) I mentioned it was a Treyarch game, right? Treyarch sucks at making games. They make Infinity Ward look like geniuses.

On the bright side, MW2 and CoD4 are still amazing multiplayer games if you can find a lobby without hackers. That's quite a task these days however.

I actually really liked Black Ops. Because it was my first, and will probably be my only, Call of Duty game. I've had the CoD experience now. I didn't buy MW3 and I'm not buying the next one either. Admittedly, I also played Battlefield Bad Company 2 and didn't buy Battlefield 3, but that was because they took out things I liked.

MetallicaRulez0:
Speaking strictly from the multiplayer side:
1.) By far the worst maps in CoD history.
2.) Terrible gun sound effects. Most guns sound like nerf toys.
3.) HORRIBLE hit detection on 360 version. Treyarch's specialty.
4.) I mentioned it was a Treyarch game, right? Treyarch sucks at making games. They make Infinity Ward look like geniuses.

On the bright side, MW2 and CoD4 are still amazing multiplayer games if you can find a lobby without hackers. That's quite a task these days however.

yes this. i hated those maps.

Black ops just wasnt that fun for me. i hated the COd points nonsense

Well, first of all, it's completely unimaginative. Almost nothing was changed since CoD 4. I mean, not even the friggin HUD. It's true that you shouldn't fix what isn't broken, but you could try prettying it up a bit, especially in 3 YEARS.

But the biggest problem was the lag. It was horrendus. I have Verizon Fios. In EVERY OTHER GAME THAT I PLAY I have an excellent connection. I almost never get lag.

In Black Ops, I got lag every game. My dad got himself an xbox, and we played in the same house, in the same matches. We recorded some of our games, and it looked like a completely different match compared to what I saw on my screen.

So yeah, there were horrible lag issues, people are not making this up. And since this game is basically all about the multiplayer (the single-player is worth maybe 10 or 15 bucks, tops) it means that the game is basically a pile of crap.

I don't hate it. If anything, I love the CoD franchise. I think this comes from the fact that I have yet to pay more than a 6 dollar rental fee for one since Call Of Duty 2.

I thought that single player was alright but nothing spectacular. for me story wise, it was MW1>MW2>BO>WAW>MW3*

*I'm currently playing through MW3 right now but the story is just soooooo stupid right now. Like it's unbelievable how dumb it is. Not only that but they are jumping between two ridiculous plot lines so much that I get lost a bit.

OT:however all said and done, I think that it is a combination of deteriorating story telling and an aging engine. After a few years of this the engine is REALLY showing it's age. no amount of tweaking will change the fact that they are using an engine that is 6-7 years old. On top of that the developers are sacrificing story for multiplayer. The story in MW1 was so new and interesting at the time with plot twists in all the right places. MW2 was far fetched but still good, after that though, the series just went down as soon as the two main writers and developers left IF. and even more, the fact that the actually reuse same buildings and structures from previous games is terrible. most companies take at least 2 and a half years to bring out a sequel in order to add in new engines, features, and actually work on a story...

so long story short: 6-7 year old engine+bad storytelling+short development time = HATE

The norm response you'll get here is "Its the same game" But Im one of the people that thinks Black Ops is really good.

1) The single player story was a little interesting for once.

2) The multiplayer is the best it ever was before, and has been even after Mw3 came out.

3) The weapons actually feel different from each other and not a copy paste job with stat changes.

The hate from Black Ops comes from the hate of COD as a whole, not that this one game was actually bad.

-'Why the Hatred for Black Ops?'-

Because the millions of people who enjoy the product, year after year, don't care enough to be bothered to complain like children about it.

Just because the vocal minority (internet forum kids) are loud and proud, doesn't mean there is any real hatred for any given thing.

It's all about minority community angst. They find a spot where their ideas sorta thrive, and it snowballs into people thinking that the loud voice actually holds some merit. We all (the rest of us real people) know it isn't true, but it's easier to let the vocal group feel better about themselves for the amount of effort they put in.

Yes, I just called people who don't agree with me 'not real people'.

That's the idea for the vocal minority. Otherwise they (we) wouldn't speak up. It' about us (them) feeling more important because of feelings. At the end of the day, numbers still speak louder than words tho... go figure.

CoD is 'King of Numbers'. Bow to it's superiority.

Compared to Modern Warfare 2 & 3 Black Ops is a masterpiece. Compared to other FPS out there Black Ops is just another shitty CoD game. The single player, while a lil longer than MW3 is still fairly short. And the multiplayer is just the same as other CoD games.

I played the living hell out of BlOps and loved every moment of it. Not my favourite game ever, or even in my top ten, but it was loads of fun for me. I'm not a "shooter person," but the newer Call of Duty games were quite fun. Modern Warfare 1 was kind of unique and I liked it, Modern Warfare the second refined the mechanics a bit and I loved it, and Black Ops was kinda more of the latter. But I've not picked up Modern Warfare 3 (or have any intention ever to do so) and won't be getting any future games under the name, either. I've had my fill, is all. Unless they do something akin to MW1 again, I don't need any more.

I think there's two main reasons for the vocal dislike of Black Ops (which is actually rather tiny): people just like to be different and an easy way to do that is to vocally declare your disliking or indifference to a much beloved franchise; and people like to appear "the most" of something, such as the most hardcore, or the most well read, so when something isn't quite the same as the previous games, people want to show others how "most into Call of Duty" they are and detest it.

Download one dlc, and you get all the previous WaW zombie maps, making it better than World at War in terms of zombies. Point refuted. Also theres a DLC where you play as Danny Trejo.

Personally the weapon upgrading is a TRILLION times better than the previous cods were you had to farm points with specific weapons to get gear in a linear progression. F DAT SHIT. Black ops you could buy whatever you had the points for. Yea there were level restrictions but after playing a while it wasn't ever an issue.

The hundreds of multiplayer games I've played of it I have maybe had, 1 or 2 kids talking at the most, and half of the time they weren't annoying at all. And this is on xbox live, so people are over exaggerating if you ask me.

Also, its fun to hate CoD because it makes you seem cool.

There were a lot of changes in Black Ops like delayed fire to the sniper rifles and crappy map design that annoyed the fans a fair bit. That's what I mainly heard.

If your talking about COD in general, that's because a lot of people like me find it pathetic they keep releasing the same game with little changes over and over more than anyone else.

Sober Thal:
-'Why the Hatred for Black Ops?'-

Because the millions of people who enjoy the product, year after year, don't care enough to be bothered to complain like children about it.

Just because the vocal minority (internet forum kids) are loud and proud, doesn't mean there is any real hatred for any given thing.

It's all about minority community angst. They find a spot where their ideas sorta thrive, and it snowballs into people thinking that the loud voice actually holds some merit. We all (the rest of us real people) know it isn't true, but it's easier to let the vocal group feel better about themselves for the amount of effort they put in.

Yes, I just called people who don't agree with me 'not real people'.

That's the idea for the vocal minority. Otherwise they (we) wouldn't speak up. It' about us (them) feeling more important because of feelings. At the end of the day, numbers still speak louder than words tho... go figure.

CoD is 'King of Numbers'. Bow to it's superiority.

Then there are immature people like Sober Thal who generalise the ones who complain because they think high numbers equal fact when all it is just popular opinion.

Seriously, grow up. Just because you encounter a lot of jerks on one side, doesn't mean being a jerk back makes it right.

Because it has "Call Of Duty" in the title.

Most hate for the series is extremely unwarranted. I've been playing it since the original and I still enjoy my yearly dose of it. The gameplay is solid, missions are great (While there is a fair few more set pieces than there was in the early days, it's still a blast to play).

I don't get why people complain about the story, it's more than we ever got with the WWII era ones. In those we literally were just some random soldier in a company fighting because we were told to. Atleast Modern Warfare and Black Ops spiced things up with having an actual story.

The multiplayer has become worse though, CoD4 had great balanced. It fucked up with MW2 with all the killstreaks and large amount of weapon attachments. Luckily there will always be Barebones for me to play.

Also, the people saying everything after CoD4 should've been DLC are clearly talking out of their arse, perfect example of mindless hate. There are changes to every title that you would have to actually play to understand (which as you can tell, most people who bitch about it don't actually play it).

All in all, it's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be.

EcksTeaSea:

sarcasm?

I don't hate it, it's just.....well, the exact same COD since this Modern Warfare ball got rolling. The franchise has become the Madden of "hardcore" gaming: take the game before it, make the tiniest of tweaks, re-release it. You would have to have played MW2 a crapload to notice the changes they made for MW3; my younger brother is one of those people, and the only thing he's noticed is that "the grenades and noob tube aren't as overpowered."

At least Halo has the decency to throw some big wrench into the multiplayer each time to sorta spice things up (dual-wielding in Halo 2, Forge in Halo 3, and armor abilities in Reach).

I still had a great time with Black Ops, same as I have with every COD game, so I'm not gonna hate on the people who love the games. They're just not my thing.

MPerce:
I don't hate it, it's just.....well, the exact same COD since this Modern Warfare ball got rolling. The franchise has become the Madden of "hardcore" gaming: take the game before it, make the tiniest of tweaks, re-release it. You would have to have played MW2 a crapload to notice the changes they made for MW3; my younger brother is one of those people, and the only thing he's noticed is that "the grenades and noob tube aren't as overpowered."

At least Halo has the decency to throw some big wrench into the multiplayer each time to sorta spice things up (dual-wielding in Halo 2, Forge in Halo 3, and armor abilities in Reach).

I still had a great time with Black Ops, same as I have with every COD game, so I'm not gonna hate on the people who love the games. They're just not my thing.

You are aware CoD made the same or similar changes?

MW2 introduced Dual Wielding
Black Ops introduced Theatre
All of them have had new or revamped perks.

MW2 was the only amazing CoD and black ops was okay. As far as most CoD games are it was pretty damn good.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked