I think I'm finally over ME3 now...

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I fucking hated the ending. I despised it. I loathed it. On some level, I always will, and why not? I've never seen a game developer piss away five years in five minutes.

But I just skimmed a few lingering ME3 threads, and I realized that I'm not really that mad anymore. I haven't touched the game in a month and a half, so maybe time really does heal all wounds. (Now that I think of it, why haven't I traded it in already? I wonder if I can still get anything for it.) Or maybe posting that one-star review on Amazon was more therapeutic than I expected. It probably helps that I've been playing other games, too--mostly indie games, with stories created by writers who know what they're doing.

But whatever the reason, I think I'm finally past it. I can simply swear off EA games forever, file this experience away next to the Star Wars prequels, and move on. I probably won't even watch that Extended Cut thing on YouTube.

How about you? How did you cope?

I coped by really enjoying ME3 even with being slightly disappointed by the ending but liking the multiplayer way way more than I thought I would. I'm currently finding myself still playing multiplayer on occasion and waiting with anticipation for news on whatever Bioware is going to do next. I'm also interested in seeing how the coming ending extending DLC ends up when it finally comes out.

I coped by playing WoW for 2 days. Then I got briefly addicted to WoW and played for another week. By the time I hit level 30 I had forgotten all about Mass Effect.

Anyway, I decided to stop playing Bioware games. Not because of the ending, but because the game was lacking in general.

I haven't played ME3 since I beat the ending. Not especially because of the end, but with games like that, you can really only play it once or twice before you've done just about everything

I played another game.
Then I replayed ME3 a bit on my ReneFemShep save.
Then I played Vanquish for a bit.
Now I just play WoW and BF3 with friends as I'm currently in a gaming funk and not in the mood for anything else.

I didn't let the ending bother me in the first place.

porpoise hork:

This.

The game was still amazing, and the ending really wasn't that bad.

Sadly I still am not able to play any Mass Effect game yet. Tried several times, but I just can't.

I've just got engrossed in The Witcher 2. I savour replaying those games because your choices actually mean something, not just the occasionally NPC saying something slightly different.

When you play as Roche for like a minute, I didn't know you could actually lose to Iorveth. But you can, and you get a completely different conversation than if you win. If it was a Bioware game it'd be WIN OR DIE.

endtherapture:
I've just got engrossed in The Witcher 2. I savour replaying those games because your choices actually mean something, not just the occasionally NPC saying something slightly different.

Yeah, people keep bringing up Witcher 2 as an example of WRPGs done right. I got the first game a few weeks ago, though, and I was not terribly impressed. Which is frustrating, because I approve of everything I've read about CD Project (their stance on DRM, etc.)...

I'd recommend holding out on trading the game in until you see what the upcoming DLC is all about. Base case scenario, it fills up some of the plot holes and gives somewhat acceptable closure to the series. Worst case scenario, it's still as lame and you didn't lose anything (except time, I guess).

As for myself, I'm still playing ME3 multiplayer on top of I Am Alive and Torchlight.

dreadedcandiru99:

endtherapture:

Yeah, people keep bringing up Witcher 2 as an example of WRPGs done right. I got the first game a few weeks ago, though, and I was not terribly impressed. Which is frustrating, because I approve of everything I've read about CD Project (their stance on DRM, etc.)...

How far did you get? I reckon the game gets better the more you play it. I'm on my third playthrough now, and as well as mixing it up with different character builds and items etc. etc. I also make different dialogue decisions and you see how many actual meaningful variables there are. Plus the game is gorgeous to behold and there's hardly any horrible pixellated Mass Effect style textures.

endtherapture:

dreadedcandiru99:

endtherapture:

How far did you get? I reckon the game gets better the more you play it. I'm on my third playthrough now, and as well as mixing it up with different character builds and items etc. etc. I also make different dialogue decisions and you see how many actual meaningful variables there are. Plus the game is gorgeous to behold and there's hardly any horrible pixellated Mass Effect style textures.

Not very far; a couple of hours, I think. The combat boiled down to "click on the tiny indistinguishable bad guys till they fall down," the dialogue was clumsily written and awkwardly delivered, and the main character was just sort of lame. And at one point, the story felt like it skipped a few pages. I've heard that the second one is supposed to be way, way better, and I'm thinking of getting the console version because my computer sucks, but it seems like I'd be lost without finishing the first one.

The ending to Mass Effect 3 never really bothered me in the first place. In fact, I kind of liked it. Jason (Statham) Shepard chose the azure option, thereby having an unstoppable force under his control. Sure, I was sad to see his story end, but I enjoyed the ride for what it was.

As for how I moved on, I went and began a playthrough of Darksiders, seeing as how I never finished it and love the game to pieces.

Small plot holes never bothered me. I loved the game and the endings. Did 3 playthroughs before I moved on to another game.

dreadedcandiru99:

endtherapture:

dreadedcandiru99:

Not very far; a couple of hours, I think. The combat boiled down to "click on the tiny indistinguishable bad guys till they fall down," the dialogue was clumsily written and awkwardly delivered, and the main character was just sort of lame. And at one point, the story felt like it skipped a few pages. I've heard that the second one is supposed to be way, way better, and I'm thinking of getting the console version because my computer sucks, but it seems like I'd be lost without finishing the first one.

The Witcher 1 is a very slow burner and loads of people definitely wont enjoy it cos the combat is weird and the story is very slow.

TW1 is a lot faster.

I got over it the moment they announced the extended cut. It's an amazing game, and it'll never have an amazing ending, but at least it'll have one, now. That's all I wanted.

I still haven't completely let go of the ending; I've pretty much remained in the same state of mood toward the game for weeks now. I was depressed when I finished it, but that passed pretty quickly. I coped by believing in the Indoctrination Theory, but even that isn't as satisfying nowadays thanks to the lack of info.

I just can't let go of the fact that I spent hundreds of dollars, spent close to a hundred hours engrossing myself in an amazing sci-fi universe, and was a huge fan for five years, just to get utterly sold out to meet a production deadline at the end of the trilogy. I strongly believe in artistic license to do as one wishes, but the quality was so mind-bogglingly bad that it resembles a cruel inside joke more than a ending.

I still get wistful and even occasionally angry when I think about it. I was watching a video earlier detailing the lies Bioware told about the game's ending and it pissed me off how Bioware's employees lied through their teeth about the game's ending just so they could push more copies. I wish they could be held accountable for that somehow, but its only wishful thinking.

I don't think I will completely move on until I see the Extended Cut this summer.

I coped by...not playing it. Still haven't played it, lol. Probably won't for a good while yet. I did recently buy L4D and L4D2 just to round out my Valve collection, though.

pure.Wasted:
I got over it the moment they announced the extended cut. It's an amazing game, and it'll never have an amazing ending, but at least it'll have one, now. That's all I wanted.

Except it is not changing the ending, it will merely elaborate the old ones.
You can polish a turd but it will still be shit y'know.

Jynthor:

pure.Wasted:

How very true. However, there is still a small chance that Bioware could dig the ending out of its current Normandy-sized hole. If they would go with the Indoctrination Theory they would have a easy back-door out of the current ending. I have my doubts that they would do that, but you never know.

Jynthor:

pure.Wasted:

I never said it would be a good ending. But it will be an ending, which is considerably more than what we have now - essentially a shroom version of The Sopranos' cut to black.

If you were still holding out hope for what the rest of the franchise deserved to have as its culmination, I sympathize. I feel your pain. For me, the games were amazing enough that given some form of resolution, I can get over the ending being nowhere near what it should have been. I wish I didn't have to, but I can.

If you can't, that really does suck.

psicat:
Small plot holes never bothered me. I loved the game and the endings. Did 3 playthroughs before I moved on to another game.

Small? Really?

OT: Stopped caring about an hour after I finished it. Spent that hour thinking about it, trying to see if it had any redeeming qualities, but overall I wasn't that disappointed as the entire last game felt more like a soap opera than a space opera, which kind of softened the blow. (Don't get me wrong, it was great fun, just everything was so ridiculous. A cyborg ninja, really?)

porpoise hork:

Samesies. I don't know why people let this stuff really get to them--then again, my suspension of disbelief seems to be quite a bit stronger than most peoples'. :V

The initial rage passed a while back, but I'm left with some numb disappointment.

There is some humor to be found in all the reactions still being made in response to it though.

StriderShinryu:
I coped by really enjoying ME3 even with being slightly disappointed by the ending but liking the multiplayer way way more than I thought I would. I'm currently finding myself still playing multiplayer on occasion and waiting with anticipation for news on whatever Bioware is going to do next. I'm also interested in seeing how the coming ending extending DLC ends up when it finally comes out.

Basically this, but with the addition that I went and made a new Paragon Adept FemShep in ME1, completed it twice with her, then started a Renegade Infiltrator FemShep. Yes, the ending could have been better, but so what? The game was damn good up to that point, and I'll be buggered if I'm pissing away the money spent on grabbing a Collector's Edition that I wouldn't have otherwise been able to get if GAME hadn't fallen out with EA due to a lack of money, simply because of a slightly underwhelming ending.

StriderShinryu:
I coped by really enjoying ME3 even with being slightly disappointed by the ending.

This. To the fucking letter.

Finals, school sucked away the pain of anything that was on my mind by totally ruining my gaming and social lives

I'm one of the few who didn't have a problem with the ending. In fact, after everyone was so up in arms about it, and I finally got there, I was like 'Really? This is why everyone is so pissed off?' So actually, the fact there was so much negativity probably took the edge off, since the general reaction suggested that the ending was so bad it would rape my firstborn child.

Mainly, I didn't think about it that much. You cant really. Then moved onto the multiplayer, which I quite enjoy.

Haven't touched the game again though. Gonna wait for that 'Aria takes back Omega' DLC before I do that (It'll happen, just watch...)

The ending does make it less enticing to play the single-player again, hopefully the Extended Cut DLC will make the ending actually BEARABLE. But otherwise the game is pretty much perfect.

Yeah, I think I was completely over it the day after I beat it. There'll always be a small part of me that's a little bugged about how something that was on a role managed to ruin three separate games worth of content, but what's done is done.

Well, thankfully I quick saved my emotions when Shepard was pulling herself on the floor, slipping on her own blood, so after the ending, I recalled how amazing the rest of the game was. Then I played it again.

StriderShinryu:

^This.

I coped by starting a new game immediately and getting all of the achievements because it's a great game. I'm still going back to multiplayer sometimes but I've got other games to keep me busy too.

It didn't make me hate the game.
It didn't make me hate Bioware.
It just disappointed me a little. But it did not ruin an incredible game.

Honestly, I never felt the game was ruined. Did I like the wnding, hell no, but like others have said, its a great game regardless of its ending.

Im slightly pissed that I wont be able to access stuff from the Collecters edition. I think this is actually one of the big complaints I have with promotional stuff, like the bonuses you get in some games from pre-ordering at gamestop. But thats another discussion.

I found the game overall to be lacking.

I'm at the very end with Marauder Shields and I can't kill him, this being on insanity and scripted 'cinematic moments' are total bullshit so fuck you Bioware. Eurgh. I just want my 75 points and then leave.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked