I think I'm finally over ME3 now...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Unfortunately I did think the game was ruined, but not just by the endings. The endings were just a final nail in what was an oppressively mediocre game. They made the combat system the best of all the three, but I think they sacrificed just about everything else to get there (story, mood, continuity), and I was sorely disappointed.

Coped by clean sweeping ME3 and Origin off the ol' HDD, and installing Psychonauts again!

I really wish more people were over it. I was over it roughly 8 seconds after the credits rolled. I thought "Huh, that was a bit poo" and the realised it was just a freaking game and ate lunch. Never did understand all this palaver about the ending. Or the photo debacle.

Life's too short to rage at something as trivial as the ME3 ending.

dreadedcandiru99:
I fucking hated the ending. I despised it. I loathed it. On some level, I always will, and why not? I've never seen a game developer piss away five years in five minutes.

But I just skimmed a few lingering ME3 threads, and I realized that I'm not really that mad anymore. I haven't touched the game in a month and a half, so maybe time really does heal all wounds. (Now that I think of it, why haven't I traded it in already? I wonder if I can still get anything for it.) Or maybe posting that one-star review on Amazon was more therapeutic than I expected. It probably helps that I've been playing other games, too--mostly indie games, with stories created by writers who know what they're doing.

But whatever the reason, I think I'm finally past it. I can simply swear off EA games forever, file this experience away next to the Star Wars prequels, and move on. I probably won't even watch that Extended Cut thing on YouTube.

How about you? How did you cope?

Yeah, I was pissed with the ending. Extremely pissed, actually, but I haven't played it since I beat it a few days after its release. I'm over it and have largely forgotten about it, which is really sad considering right before the ME3 ending I had ME pegged as the greatest sci-fi saga of all time and then Bioware had to fumble the ball at the goal line.

The only thing of passing interest I noticed recently was the discovered audio files from your squadmates that indicated a much more substantial ending. I found a minute of audio from Jack(my ME2 romance) that was bittersweet considering I bought ME3 to conclude my relationship with Jack and had to listen to the audio files that were unofficially leaked to hear anything from her. Very very sad, indeed. Can't really put into words how greatly Bioware blew ME3, but oh well.

I've been playing a lot of Skyrim and Batman: Arkham City so I've moved on. RIP Mass Effect and RIP Bioware.

I got over it by playing a crapton of AirBuccaneers HD. :|

I don't actually plan on finishing the game until the new ending is released (Or expanded upon, for those touchy people...). My brother finished it, and I saw the ending. but yeah, I'd rather not finish it yet.

I coped by shoving my jaded cynical beliefs about how "You know, Bioware just didn't give a shit. They're people, you know." in the faces of people who still wanted to believe that Bioware was in some way not responsible for what happened with the game. Yeah, they can and will fuck up. It happens with every company to different extents. For the most part, they don't give a shit as long as money keeps flowing their way.

projectpinkx:
The only thing of passing interest I noticed recently was the discovered audio files from your squadmates that indicated a much more substantial ending.

I just read about that a few days ago, that and the uncut Shepard/Anderson death scene on the Citadel. I just...I don't get it. At all.

I think we should put together a team of experts, writers and programmers and so on, who can do a full-blown autopsy and find out exactly what went wrong, so that it will never happen again. Maybe we can set up a Kickstarter for this.

dreadedcandiru99:

endtherapture:

dreadedcandiru99:

Yeah, people keep bringing up Witcher 2 as an example of WRPGs done right. I got the first game a few weeks ago, though, and I was not terribly impressed. Which is frustrating, because I approve of everything I've read about CD Project (their stance on DRM, etc.)...

How far did you get? I reckon the game gets better the more you play it. I'm on my third playthrough now, and as well as mixing it up with different character builds and items etc. etc. I also make different dialogue decisions and you see how many actual meaningful variables there are. Plus the game is gorgeous to behold and there's hardly any horrible pixellated Mass Effect style textures.

Not very far; a couple of hours, I think. The combat boiled down to "click on the tiny indistinguishable bad guys till they fall down," the dialogue was clumsily written and awkwardly delivered, and the main character was just sort of lame. And at one point, the story felt like it skipped a few pages. I've heard that the second one is supposed to be way, way better, and I'm thinking of getting the console version because my computer sucks, but it seems like I'd be lost without finishing the first one.

if im correct, the second witcher is a prequel to the first.

Blunderboy:

StriderShinryu:
I coped by really enjoying ME3 even with being slightly disappointed by the ending.

This. To the fucking letter.

I coped with this method as well.

Everytime I replay it, I'll always be disappointed (especially knowing all the cut content), but enjoying the rest of ME3 is enough.

It also kind of helped going back to the first ME. Though I would advise to tread carefully with this one. It can be sort of be a double edged sword and send you into a spiraling depression instead. (Seeing as how the first ending was and always will be 1000x better than the ME3 ending.)

How did I "cope"? You've gotta be shitting me. People "cope" with dead loved ones, or terminal diseases. We're talking about a damn videogame here. I was over it about a day after I beat the game.

My process:

Day 1: bewilderment
Day 2: slight raging
Day 3: acceptance

And now I just don't care much anymore. It was like Neon Genesis Evangelion; it was such an incredible series up to those 5 minutes of shit that it never really bothered me too much. So we'll see where this "extended cut" goes (NGE's altered ending was trippy as balls, but at least it provided some semblance of closure), but no matter what it is my opinion of the series won't change much.

AceTrilby:
I really wish more people were over it. I was over it roughly 8 seconds after the credits rolled. I thought "Huh, that was a bit poo" and the realised it was just a freaking game and ate lunch. Never did understand all this palaver about the ending. Or the photo debacle.

Trivial?

okay. Good for you, that you think that way. Saved you from how bad it could've been.

But some people really cared about the story, y'know? You have no right to dismiss their anger as "trivial".

The ending, should've been much, much more than it was. Salt to wound that they literally told us it wouldn't be ABC ending when it really was...

I will NEVER get over the ME3 ending. Every time I look back I feel like there's a void inside.

First world problems.
Where people need months to get over an ending of a game.

Srs bsns mon!

Mick Golden Blood:

AceTrilby:

Trivial?

okay. Good for you, that you think that way. Saved you from how bad it could've been.

But some people really cared about the story, y'know? You have no right to dismiss their anger as "trivial".

The ending, should've been much, much more than it was. Salt to wound that they literally told us it wouldn't be ABC ending when it really was...

I will NEVER get over the ME3 ending. Every time I look back I feel like there's a void inside.

Ya know people died on 9/11 dude.

Like just regular people suddenly had to choose to wait for the building to collapse or jump from 150 floors up. People that, hours earlier were kissing there husband/wives goodbye. The fucking plans had little kids on them.

Big Picture man. Just saying. Big Picture.

I did not buy Mass Effect, part 2 was sort of the end for me, then Dragon Age 2 was the nail in my heart. I cope by Not playing any more games, going outside and working two jobs and going to school full time>.>

I 'coped' by not being bothered by the ending, since I've got nothing against it.

The only 'coping' I need is that the story of The Shepard is over, and I loved the journey more than the destination.
Still, crossing my fingers for ME:First Contact War, ME:Rachni Wars, ME: Krogan Rebellion or ME: Anderson's fun-time round the galaxy with what's-her-face.

Still can't do another play-through of the game... Just... the ending killed it.
The multiplayer is fun, but is in need of more game types. Gets old very fast.

I finished Mass Effect 3, watched the ending, went "ok, that was weird", then booted the game back up and started it again.

To be honest, it was a bad ending, but it didnt affect my life or my will to live in any way/shape/form. You just carry on with reality as usual once you realise it all actually means fuck all in the long run.

I managed to get it out of my system through a combination of writing, playing Halo Reach and eating out with my parents.

SaneAmongInsane:

Mick Golden Blood:

AceTrilby:

Trivial?

Ya know people died on 9/11 dude.

Like just regular people suddenly had to choose to wait for the building to collapse or jump from 150 floors up. People that, hours earlier were kissing there husband/wives goodbye. The fucking plans had little kids on them.

Big Picture man. Just saying. Big Picture.

That's on a totally different level. I'm not even going to bother. Good for you bro. But you cannot compare the two like that.

besides, what can we do for 9/11? Nothing.
What can we do for ending of ME3? Fix it.

Cope? I loved the game. Still love the game. And I just put in my time to help with Operation: Exorcist. I'm still having fun and don't see myself stopping.

for me it was the fact that 99 percent of the time i played mass effect I cherished
staring down horrors of lovecraftian proportion, putting my life on the line time and time again for my crew, the horror and fear that washes over you when they do the same for you.
Genuine tears, more than i thought a game could ever bring me when mordin runs across the shroud tower.
The stubborness of grunt despite all odds, the undisputable charm of garrus, the greatest ally ever placed by your side.

yes the ending sucked, and yes there are rumours of a free DLC ending that was planned since december when the endings were leaked but i dont mind. I thank Bioware for what they gave me

Paladin2905:
Unfortunately I did think the game was ruined, but not just by the endings. The endings were just a final nail in what was an oppressively mediocre game. They made the combat system the best of all the three, but I think they sacrificed just about everything else to get there (story, mood, continuity), and I was sorely disappointed.

Coped by clean sweeping ME3 and Origin off the ol' HDD, and installing Psychonauts again!

i think the game had a few decent parts here and there, but it was overall mediocre compared to me1 and me2, and i constantly told myself "the ending will be great and it will make all these decisions infinitely badass and worth it with an amazing conclusion" and low and behold, it was the complete opposite, the motherload of shit upon broken shit ending (not saying endings, it's the same damn thing with a different color)

it was a definite last nail in the coffin indeed.

OT: well witcher 2 being an amazing game, i currently am doing a run through of that and doing some occasional multiplayer on me3 with friends, otherwise that game will probably be erased on my HDD pretty soon...have zero motivation to touch the single player ever again.

porpoise hork:
I didn't let the ending bother me in the first place.

Completely this, the ending is not so bad, it lets you think a little and while some people may not like that, it is still a very good game and I am happy to have played and enjoyed the game series and look forward to what is next in the Mass Effect universe.

Im over it enought to start a second playthrough

its a little depressing knowing now hot it will turn out, not just the ending but the whole game is one punch in the face after another

Sassafrass:
Now I just play WoW and BF3 with friends as I'm currently in a gaming funk and not in the mood for anything else.

yeah, I'm kind of the same...nothing else apeals right now

I dont know how the ending came about...but I think its unfair to blame the entirity of Bioware

kman123:
I found the game overall to be lacking.

I'm at the very end with Marauder Shields and I can't kill him, this being on insanity and scripted 'cinematic moments' are total bullshit so fuck you Bioware. Eurgh. I just want my 75 points and then leave.

..You say this like it is a bad thing? /bewildered

If you can't kill Marauder Shields, you are luckier than most of the rest of us that unfortunately didn't give it much thought the first time. :/

R.I.P. Marauder Shields

Also, on topic.. I've pretty much gotten over it myself as well, though it still kind of feels like dead weight in my chest everytime I think back to it. Like that weary feeling you get just after you've raged for a good few hours and just can't go on without lying down and taking several deep breaths..

..And then I chose to actively try to ignore it with Guild Wars 2 and TOR. Which ever so slightly seems to work. At least, until the EC comes out and I am forced to try Priority: Earth again (my game is paused just before Cerberus base)..

I just play the ME3 MP....and I'm trying to slowly get back to the SP.

I coped by reflecting on the overall game and realizing that I found the entire thing to be kinda "meh", not bad, but not great either, just good. So now I just look at the ending as just being one more flaw in a deeply flawed, but still decently enjoyable title.

RatRace123:
I coped by reflecting on the overall game and realizing that I found the entire thing to be kinda "meh", not bad, but not great either, just good. So now I just look at the ending as just being one more flaw in a deeply flawed, but still decently enjoyable title.

What did you dislike? If you don't mind my asking.

El Danny:

porpoise hork:

This.

The game was still amazing, and the ending really wasn't that bad.

That's the way I see it. I finished it then started a new game a week later when I transferred my old hard drive and ft the DLC. with my first Shepherd

ShadowsofHope:

kman123:
I found the game overall to be lacking.

I'm at the very end with Marauder Shields and I can't kill him, this being on insanity and scripted 'cinematic moments' are total bullshit so fuck you Bioware. Eurgh. I just want my 75 points and then leave.

..You say this like it is a bad thing? /bewildered

If you can't kill Marauder Shields, you are luckier than most of the rest of us that unfortunately didn't give it much thought the first time. :/

R.I.P. Marauder Shields

Also, on topic.. I've pretty much gotten over it myself as well, though it still kind of feels like dead weight in my chest everytime I think back to it. Like that weary feeling you get just after you've raged for a good few hours and just can't go on without lying down and taking several deep breaths..

..And then I chose to actively try to ignore it with Guild Wars 2 and TOR. Which ever so slightly seems to work. At least, until the EC comes out and I am forced to try Priority: Earth again (my game is paused just before Cerberus base)..

yeah...

I dont know whats wrong, weather Im sad because of the ending (because I am) or because shepards journey is over and there wont be another game like mass effect for a while at least (and oh dear god..Mass Effect the MMO? no fucking way)

as for other games nothign itnerests me...Ive started antoehr playthrouhg of ME3 but I dont feel great because as I said the game is just one punch in the face after another

Vuliev:

porpoise hork:

Samesies. I don't know why people let this stuff really get to them--then again, my suspension of disbelief seems to be quite a bit stronger than most peoples'. :V

I actually think it just seems that way because angry people are more vocal. I know plenty of people who were disappointed with the end, but still recommended the game itself for doing a lot of other things right...

Though there are others who take it like a slap to the face. Very much like the recent Bluray star wars fiasco (or trilogy fiasco... some people still hold on to that fury).

I haven't bought the game myself yet and I'll think I'll wait to see how this "clarified" end turns out... or at least until all the DLC is sorted in to one easily purchased bundle.

irani_che:

yes the ending sucked, and yes there are rumours of a free DLC ending that was planned since december when the endings were leaked but i dont mind. I thank Bioware for what they gave me

yeah..the Bioware hate is getting grating

because Id say the rest of the game is awsome

its annoying how some people have sworn off ME/Bioware...granted I understand their reasons and its their right..but I feel its unfair for those at bioware who DID do a good job and didnt go all george Lucas

and then theres the case of what could have been...christ lets not go there

pure.Wasted:

What did you dislike? If you don't mind my asking.

I don't mind.
I guess the main thing that irked me was that the game just feels kind of bare bones when compared to the previous 2, and it seems to lack that same level of polish that they had. The combat was improved and it was probably the most fun out of the franchise, but that's the only place where there was improvement.

The conversation system, I found to be too streamlined. They removed the presence of the middle of the road conversation option and I felt there was way too much auto-dialogue. Shepard said far too much without player intervention. I know that these seem like minor issues, but since you spend maybe, half the game talking to people, having that element cut down in any way really really leaves a negative impact. Rather than Shepard being a player character, as was previously the case, Shepard now really felt like Bioware's character, like rather than giving the player choice or even the illusion of choice as they often do, they just railroad Shepard into the position they want him/her to be in.

The sidequests were also very limited, I think there were maybe 15 or so actual sidequests, and 7 of those were N7 missions. The rest of the game had you doing fetch quests for people on the citadel. Which was frankly, very very boring to me.

Not helped at all by how much they screwed up your in game journal. This one I just find baffling and completely inexcusable. After you get a mission, the journal remains completely static until you finish the mission. It doesn't tell you when you've gotten the object you need to get, it doesn't tell you where the person on the citadel is, it's so unhelpful you may as well have no journal at all. I have no idea how they screwed this one up, apart from purposefully doing it.

And then the story, though good, feels rushed after a certain point.

To me it just seems like a 3rd of the overall story is missing.
This is reflected in my playtime too.

In Mass Effect 1, it takes me about 40 hours to complete the game to 100%, or as close to it as I can.
In Mass Effect 2 it takes me about 30 hours to do that.
I beat Mass Effect 3 with 100% of the stuff done, or again, as close as I could come to that, in little over 18 hours.

And then the ending, well I'll just say that I didn't like it.

The game was fun, and I still like the game overall, but I think it's merely good and it shows signs of being rushed, albeit not to same extent that DA2 did, but there's evidence there to support that theory. And it's just kind of disappointing that the game is only "good", whereas Mass Effect 1 is amazing and ranks as my favorite game, and Mass Effect 2 is great. It seems weird to say, but when stacked up against those 2, being "good" isn't good enough.

Sorry for the wall O' text with that, but I hope that helps you understand my feelings on the game.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked