To Mirror...Games that aged well

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

To mirror a topic I've just seen, how about games that have aged well. These could be games you thought were bad back then but got better or games that have an always will be great.

I don't want the obvious, let's stay away from the obvious and give some love to the games that were great back then and still great today that not many would have played.

I have two of my favourite games on the list

1 is Ape Escape

A game that is genuinely great fun to play, a brilliant platformer on it's own but the fact that this is the first game to fully utilise two analog sticks, not only well but perfectly, means it's one of the most influential and innovative games around and it gets so little acclaim.

Guys, appreciate this gem, it's a revolutionary title that's just as great and as fun today as it was way back in '99, it's even spawned one heck of a franchise that, according to wikipedia, has sold more copies than Dragon Quest, Donkey Kong, Resident Evil, Halo, Metal Gear, Prince of Persia, The Elder Scrolls, Half Life and many more absolute giants in gaming.

2 is Dark Cloud

Ok so it can get a little repetitive but this game is a joy to play with so many different elements to just get lost in. The story isn't great but it works but the play is where this JRPG really shines. A dungeon crawler/hack and slash with a brilliant control system and one of the only games where weapon destruction works well. Oh and there's a Sim City style city builder while not having as much depth, is great fun and adding with some staples of the JRPG genre doing quests for the villagers will help your city gain perfection.

I may have gushed a little from nostalgia but this game is still good today, maybe not as great as I remember but still very fun to play and well worth investing some time into.

Just a footnote but Dark Cloud is the first game by developer Level 5, whom most of you will know as the developer of the Professor Layton games but also White Knight Chronicles for Ps3 and Rogue Galaxy for Ps2. They're a great developer so go take a peek at these games too.

I agree with Ape Escape, I loved that game, and trying to re-play it fairly recently it stood up pretty well.

I would also say Legend of Mana for the PSX (though that's my favorite video game ever so maybe I'm a bit biased...)

I'd say Gen 2 of Pokemon holds up pretty well, first gen only doesn't because of some many things we're used to that didn't exist back then and are messed up in Gen 1 (like Bug being strong and weak against posion, or moves like Wrap going until they end...)

Animal Crossing for the Gamecube has aged really well. In fact it's still my personal favorite of the games.

Shadow of the Colossus has aged phenomenally imo. 30 years from now, people will be doing

on their PS2 emulators and will be just as wowed as we were when we first did it.

I played Super Metroid and Shiren the Wanderer for the SNES for the first time this year, and they both fall into the "will always be great" category.

rome total war

as fun today as when it first came out

HarryScull:
rome total war

Truth.

Arguably, even more fun, because of mods :D

Basically, everything Blizzard produced after Warcraft 2/Diablo 1. Replayed SC1 to prepare for SC2 recently, no problem. Replaying D2 to prepare for D3? No problem. WC3 still plays great.

They just feel right.

Kahunaburger:

HarryScull:
rome total war

Truth.

Arguably, even more fun, because of mods :D

yup ill vote for rome total war as well

my personal suggestions are really retro games that still work.. crusader no remorse and crusader no regret not to mention wing commander 3 also works really well

To make it simple: the Super Nintendo.

Also, it really depends on how much graphics floats your boat, but most of the good JRPGs for the PS1 still hold up, especially if they went for the 3d backgrounds-2d sprties approach like Xenogears. Only FFVII is truly unnacceptable from a graphical perspective, but the 3d models-2d background approach of the next two games still works pretty well, and the FMVs in those games still look really good in my opinion.

All of Rare's games on the N64, I can still pick up Perfect Dark/JFG/Banjo-X/DK64, and still enjoy them the whole way through.

Even though people have been bringing up a ton in the other thread for it's terrible graphics, Deus Ex had terrible graphics when it was first released, but few games have even approached it in terms of over all design. I personally know several people who didn't play it until no more than a year ago and still think it's one of the best designed games that they've ever played.

THIS game is probably the "perfect JRPG":

It's perfect because I can play it for 30 minutes or 3 hours and it's still enjoyable after ALL-THIS-TIME.

Alot of traditional rpgs age great. Especially when you look at most rpgs of today. Not really too good of a replacement for them. Almost like a whole different genre.

Age of Empires 2

Amazing then, amazing now. The only issue I have playing the game today is that it doesn't have native widescreen support. That's it. Everything else from the gameplay to the music and even the visuals are still as striking now as they were when the game was released.

Tanis:

It's perfect because I can play it for 30 minutes or 3 hours and it's still enjoyable after ALL-THIS-TIME.

THAT GAME. THAT GAME IS SO GOOD.

Austin Howe:

Tanis:

I take it by the sarcasm in your post the picture ain't showing?

Medieval 2: Total War. Came out in 2006, still looks better than 90% of all RTS games out there today.

Tanis:

Austin Howe:

Tanis:

There was absolutely no sarcasm, Chrono Cross is one of the best JRPGs of all time.

The obvious answer: Super Mario Bros. on NES. It still manages to top many 'best game of all time' lists and it's over 25 years old.

Super mario 64, banjoo-kazooie/tooie (and pretty much all other Rare games on the N64)

Ape Escape is fucking awesome. I wish it was available on PSN.

Look at it! Look how gorgeous it is!

Look at it!

Final Fantasy IX. Played then it was an enjoyable romp and for me a nice introduction to the FF series, played now it is a summation of jRPGs, the perennial favourite and underrated gem that sums up perfectly what every jRPG should have and should be.

As for obscure games. Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds. It is the best strategy game I have ever played for sheer fun value. Sure Rome Total War might be more in-depth (another game that aged well btw) but SW: GB is just pure unadultered pleasure. It's well balanced, the campaign is challenging without being annoying, and the quick play mode is always good for a short half hour of gameplay.

Stronghold and Stronghold Crusader. Still not bad looking.

And of course, Planescape Torment with the Widescreen mod. It would seem that aesthetics trump graphix.

Tanis:

Austin Howe:

Tanis:

I know hes already quoted you but in no way was that sarcasm

OT:
Mount and blade warband: while its not that old it still has aged a bit but it aged well I can spend 4 hours on that game without even noticing

Freelancer: I love this game.

Majesty: Same as above an for other reasons such as it was the first game that I fell in love with that I owned and its even better now with its hd remake

Crash Bandicoot Warped. I think the graphics still hold up pretty damn well, and the gameplay's still a riot

Daystar Clarion:
Ape Escape is fucking awesome. I wish it was available on PSN.

Look at it!

Meh...

*Fucking runs!*

There are a shit ton of GBA games that still hold up ridiculously well. I guess they fall under the same phenomenon as SNES games.

Tanis:

That's what good combat does to a JRPG. On a PSP screen, though, nothing bigger.

Wind Waker is like 10 years old now and it still looks gorgeous. The art style is amazing.

Crash Bandicoot on PS1 doesn't look that bad nowadays either.

Now let's try for a game that is actually old.

XCOM (aka UFO:EU).

It's one of the few old games at 320x200, that I can still admire. Pretty much every pixel is the right place.
The comicbook style artwork works here. The artists didn't go with too many details, but many larger surfaces instead, so the art didn't become too much of a pixelized mess, like you see in other games. Mostly larger fonts and a simple interface worked well here. Again they avoided clutter, which is really undesireable at low resolutions.

It also helps that the original gameplay is still unsurpassed. Jagged Alliance 2 may be the better tactical game, but it doesn't provide the same package as XCOM, with research and base building, etc.

I'm going to say KotOR.
I played through that just last year, the graphics were low res but it was still a joy to replay.

The N64 Zelda games. People say the graphics look dated, but I disagree. They have aged a bit but I think they still look good. They still do a great job of creating the aesthetic they are trying to produce. The gameplay of both games, especially Majora's Mask, still feel as fresh as ever.

Wind Waker! The cel shaded graphics haven't aged a day. It's the best example of cel shaded graphics that's ever been created, and I think it still does a lot better than the most recent cel shaded games (Borderlands, Crackdown, etc.). The gameplay is still fantastic too, just like the N64 games.

SSX3. The gameplay and controls still feel as tight and well put together as ever. It feels just like a game that could have been released just yesterday. Also the graphics still look good. Probably because they are very colourful and there isn't a need for tons of detail. It's mostly snow and neons.

Need for Speed Underground 2. Still got some of the best controls of any NFS game in the past decade, a great city to drive around in and a brilliant soundtrack. Some of the newer NFS games may have had better graphics and extra features but none (apart from maybe MW) have been able to bring everything together in such a perfect opus of everything that NFS did right.

Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal. As the series has gotten tired by repeating itself over and over the Gameboy Color games still stand up as among some of, if not the best games out of the whole franchise. It was the only time in the series when everything they added was good, nothing added was bad and nothing was taken out. The first generation games have dated graphics and they are obtuse and slow paces compared to later games, but the second generation games still have good pacing and the graphics and music are still great.

GBA games are often still fun:

Anyone remember this one?

A lot of the older 2d sprite games have aged well in my opinion. Most older 3D games however, I don't know.

Example of some:
PSX - Alundra

SNES - Donkey Kong Country

PSX - Suikoden II

YAY!! I GET TO POST MORE SCREENSHOTS! Sorry for the all-caps but I liked that last thread and found a bunch of games that I thought 'those actually still look good'. So here are some more screen shots!!

And like I said in the other post, there are a lot of pre-PSX/N64 games that I think still look beautiful.

I love video games. Looking for those screenshots made me feel all warm and, fuzzy and, happy on the inside. I love you guys.

Daystar Clarion:

Look at it!

Agreed, I especially love it when you purify an area, more games should use that type of art style

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked