Your greatest failure in a game. (Pokemon related)

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

What was your biggest failure in a game?

For me, I have just experienced my greatest defeat in Pokemon Ruby, at the Pokemon League, to the champion.

I have just got out of Victory Road and I was eager to take on the Elite Four. My Pokemon were all around lv. 40 by the time we got the Pokemon League. After I did some rather hasty training, all of my Pokemon were at lv. 44 and we were ready to take on Elite Four and the Champion.

Or so we thought...

After fighting through the Elite Four, burning through many Full Restores and Revives, we finally made it to the end. After climbing a long staircase, we entered the next room to find our friend Steven there. Apparently he has been waiting for us, and wants to see what brought me all the way to this point. So we did battle, whoever wins becomes the champion.

Steven was an incredible trainer. While I was able to take out his Skarmory with my Torkoal no problem, it was when he brought out his Metagross did things took a turn for the worse. His Metagross was able to one or two shot all of my Pokemon no matter what I did to prepare for it. I tried using the Quick Claw on Swampert so he can use Earthquakes faster than he could hit me, I tried maxing out both my Torkoals physical and special defense using Iron Defense and Amnesia repsectively, I even tried outlasting it by constantly healing my Pokemon.

Alas, no matter what I did, Steven kept besting me.

A few reloads later, I attempted the Torkoal defense strategy I mentioned before. This time however I used my Gardevoir to take Skarmory after Torkoal was finished. That way I could save his Overheat attack for Metagross. (In case you're wondering why, it's because his special attack goes down every time he uses Overheat)

After Skarmory was finished, Steven decided to do something he never did before up until this point. Instead of switching to Metagross, he brings out his Cradily instead. I wasn't sure what he was planning, but I was able to take it out with my Makuhitta after exchanging blows for a while. Then he brought out his Armaldo, which I took out relatively easily using my Swampert's surf.

It was at this point I was starting to gain hope. Perhaps I can win this after all! Then the moment of truth came, he brought out his Metagross, and I brought out my Torkoal, who's defenses were all maxed out. I prepared to use Overheat, and then Metagross used Earthquake.

Torkoal fainted...

My last hope was gone. Without Torkoal, there was nothing I could do against Metagross. It was at this point I realized I was clearly outclassed by Steven and didn't have the means to defeat him yet. So, I sent out my entire team after Metagross. One by one they were all KO'd. Until there was nothing left.

Next thing I knew, I was outside the Pokemon League. I was riding high all the way up to this point. Only to fall back into the dirt from whence I came.

This is not the end though. I'll go back and train my Pokemon some more. I'll rematch trainers and earn me some cash to buy me some more healing items for the next time I take on the Pokemon League. We'll become even stronger than we are now!

I will rise from the ashes...

...AND I WILL BECOME THE CHAMPION!!!

...yeah.

So what was your greatest defeat at the hands of a game? Whether it be through single player or multiplayer? Share your stories.

Dang, son. None of that made a lot of sense to me, especially because I stopped playing Pokemon games like 7 years ago. However, I get the gist of it and it reminds me of a similar story.

When I reached the Pokemon League while playing Pokemon Gold for the GB, I thought I was prepared. I was able to make it to the last Elite mostly because I had recently captured Raikou and he was pretty fast and strong and complimented my other Pokemon. But I knew I had to face my rival still. It felt like I was cheating because I made it there while riding on Raikou's back, so I switched him for my previous Pokemon I had in my party.
Needless to say, I got my butt kicked several times.

And that was my first failure.

So I decided to grab Raikou and beat my rival, which I did. Then I went to take on Ash/Red shortly after that. Needless to say, even after grinding, I was still no match for him...until I transferred my Mew from my yellow version to my Gold version.
But it still felt like cheating. So I returned my Mew back to its Yellow home and started a new game (I had "finished" the previous one).

That was my second failure.

At that point, I was kinda tired of the game. So I never even made it to the Pokemon League during my second run. I just abandoned my game and moved on to the GBA. I still feel bad about that.

From my first ME3 playthrough. Read on for the most epic canon fail in gaming history.

As everyone's well aware by now, the ideal scenario still ends pretty grimly, right? Everybody's stranded on Earth. Geth, Quarians, Asari, Turians... the Krogan and Salarians probably come out taking the least damage, right? Just their armies get stranded.

Cut to my playthrough: because I have Mordin, Wrex, and Eve, siding with the Salarians on Tuchanka seems nonsensical. So the Salarians, the ones least harmed by the conflict so far by staying out of the war while everyone else gets hammered, and I go our separate ways. Keep this in mind for later.

I get to Rannoch, where I can choose from three missions: save the admiral, destroy fighter squadron base, and take on the Reaper. I saved the admiral, but not realizing that doing the Reaper makes the other missions unavailable, I go and do the Reaper. I've looked up all the calculations since then, and what this means is I was still 1 point short of being able to convince the Quarians to see reason. I side with Legion, expecting the Quarians to come to their senses. Naturally, the entire Quarian race gets wiped out. Whoops. Still, I did the right thing, right? ...right?

Finally, the ending. I get to the space kid, he tells me I have three colors to choose between. I empty a clip's worth of bullets into his space face, then figure, what the hell? I came all this way to blow the Reapers up. There's only one option that lets me do that, kill the AI. It's what we came for, gang, let's do it.

Since BW was kind enough to not provide an epilogue, I only realized what had just happened after a couple of days of contemplation. To recap: the Quarians are dead because I sided with the Geth, the Geth are dead because I wiped out all AI, the Batarians have been imploded, the Turians and Asari are stranded on Earth, and the Salarians, those two-timing motherfuckers, they're on Sur'Kesh, which is PERFECTLY FINE. The most I could have possibly done to them would be to get their fleet stranded, and I didn't even manage that.

You know who else came out OK, apart from the Salarians? The Krogan, for the first time in ages not being under the effects of the Genophage. Cue me leaving no one else save the Genophage-happy Salarians alive in the universe... whoops!

You challenged the league with level 44's? Id be impressed if you had won - I never go in without my whole team being at least level 50. And I usually have the money to get 20-30 hyper potions, 20-30 full restores, 50-60 revives and about 40 full heals - just so healing cannot be a problem!

Look at me, talking high and mighty - my greatest defeat was against an Elite Four member. Drake, although I cant remember what game it was... Ruby maybe? But his Salamence kept on trouncing me every time. I think I managed to K.O. it on one attempt but it took down 4 of mine in the process and far too many items. So I accepted defeat, trained a lot more, went back and opened up a can of whoop-ass on him X) The Champion wasn't a problem thankfully!

EDIT: This was probably the time I came up with the rules for myself "Whole team >lvl50" and "Sh*t load of items". They haven't failed me yet!

My greatest failure in pokemon? Ok then. My biggest failure which I quickly learnt afterwards is that I wasted away a Masterball on a Ratata. Yeah, I'm a n00b and a-half.

Any time I pick Charizard in the first series, or Pikachu in Yellow...

SO I HERD YOU LIKE FIRST TWO GYMS.

First one is horrible because you have to grind or get a Butterfly, then you might be fine.

And second... There is probably an Oddish/Bellsprout somewhere nearby. But you still have to catch it and let's face it, Grass doesn't have many strong moves early on in first games. Unless you have Pikachu then it's a breeze.

Auron225:
You challenged the league with level 44's? Id be impressed if you had won - I never go in without my whole team being at least level 50. And I usually have the money to get 20-30 hyper potions, 20-30 full restores, 50-60 revives and about 40 full heals - just so healing cannot be a problem!

Look at me, talking high and mighty - my greatest defeat was against an Elite Four member. Drake, although I cant remember what game it was... Ruby maybe? But his Salamence kept on trouncing me every time. I think I managed to K.O. it on one attempt but it took down 4 of mine in the process and far too many items. So I accepted defeat, trained a lot more, went back and opened up a can of whoop-ass on him X) The Champion wasn't a problem thankfully!

EDIT: This was probably the time I came up with the rules for myself "Whole team >lvl50" and "Sh*t load of items". They haven't failed me yet!

I actually won against the League in SoulSilver with entire team under 50. And in regular Silver I won against Red having almost everyone under 50 except my starting pokemon at 55-60.

I spent a LOT of Revives, Full Restores and Max Potions there.

Did my answer have to do with Pokemon? I thought the title was just referring to the OP's example. :X

I have no idea what the Pokémons you mentioned are lulz.

I remember years ago on Pokemon Silver (not long after it released here in the UK)I ended up wasting a Master Ball on a Ditto.

Yeah.

Haxxle:
My greatest failure in pokemon? Ok then. My biggest failure which I quickly learnt afterwards is that I wasted away a Masterball on a Ratata. Yeah, I'm a n00b and a-half.

Haha. I wasted my master ball on a graveller the first time I got one. That's not quite as bad...right?

The only challenge i ever have with the elite 4 is running out of PP by the time i hit the 4th/champion.
Too many 5-10pp moves, so i end up hoarding every ether/elixer/whatever throughout the game to use on the elite 4.

Also, i took out Sapphires elite 4 my first playthrough with my highest level'd pkmn at 50 and my lowest at 45.

My biggest non-pokemon failure is probably in freelancer.
I'd just finished completely outfitting my entire ship with new everything and selling a ton of cargo.
It wasn't until i was in battle that i realized i had no shields up.

AW YEAH! Lets kick some ass, you going DOWN Cynthia!!!

...the absolute fail that occured was...humiliating, I will not go into detail...

Also not pokemon related: Hey I have an Idea! I'll play DMC3 won Dante Must Die mode without using the sword!

...you get the drift...

TizzytheTormentor:

...the absolute fail that occured was...humiliating, I will not go into detail...

Also not pokemon related: Hey I have an Idea! I'll play DMC3 won Dante Must Die mode without using the sword!

...you get the drift...

hey man, it's fine to fail against Cynthia - she's got stronger (stat wise) pokemon then other trainers AS well as having kick-ass pokemon and moves. It's pretty much expected to be a suicide battle against her unless your very good at the game or have pokemon 10-15 levels higher then her.

My greatest failure in a pokemon game... that would have to be the very first time I went up (funnily enough) against Cynthia. I was used to the Emerald Elite Four (level 50s) so I went in with a team of 49-54s, confident in my abilities to wipe the floor with everything there. Battling my way up, I prepare myself for the Champion battle, assuming that she was using nothing more then level 50s...

Cue her sending out a team of level 65+ super-pokemon. Palkia might be strong, but a 14 level higher Garchomp is stronger...

After getting busted up I did go back in with a slightly stronger team (53-59s) and successfully beat her down (Floatzel with max Defense EVs is surprisingly durable).

I prefer my Greatest Victory in Pokemon though - beat down Red (level 85 Trainer) with my team of level 48s. The moral of this story? Don't have your powerhouse pokemon be a Pikachu - Golem is immune to all of your attacks. ALL OF THEM.

Me: "Alright, I beat N! Let's go see the rest of Unova!"

Everything post-Elite 4: Teams in the mid 60's or above.

Me: ... well fuck, back to level grinding.

Yeah, I was NOT prepared for that... thankfully, a Lucky Egg, Exp. Share and event Arceus helped fix all that, and netted me a shiny Rapidash in the process, so I can't really complain.

Also, first time fighting Red, with a team barely past lv. 50, and no Ground-types. Not making that mistake again, but I did discover the Mewtwo in the cave will completely wipe the floor with most of his team.

Back in the day of my first Silver playthrough I unknowingly turned Lugia into a HM-slave... SO much wasted potential...damn

Shanicus:

TizzytheTormentor:

...you get the drift...

hey man, it's fine to fail against Cynthia - she's got stronger (stat wise) pokemon then other trainers AS well as having kick-ass pokemon and moves. It's pretty much expected to be a suicide battle against her unless your very good at the game or have pokemon 10-15 levels higher then her.

My greatest failure in a pokemon game... that would have to be the very first time I went up (funnily enough) against Cynthia. I was used to the Emerald Elite Four (level 50s) so I went in with a team of 49-54s, confident in my abilities to wipe the floor with everything there. Battling my way up, I prepare myself for the Champion battle, assuming that she was using nothing more then level 50s...

Cue her sending out a team of level 65+ super-pokemon. Palkia might be strong, but a 14 level higher Garchomp is stronger...

After getting busted up I did go back in with a slightly stronger team (53-59s) and successfully beat her down (Floatzel with max Defense EVs is surprisingly durable).

I prefer my Greatest Victory in Pokemon though - beat down Red (level 85 Trainer) with my team of level 48s. The moral of this story? Don't have your powerhouse pokemon be a Pikachu - Golem is immune to all of your attacks. ALL OF THEM.

My greatest triump was also against Red, brought his pikachu to shame with my 75 lvl Raichu and used dig to fucking smash him, I broke half his team with thunderbolt! I manipulated the DS clock so that it was always the time Falkner wanted a rematch and I gained levels and money with the amulet coin. Did that for all my other pokemon, Typhlosion against Erika/bugsy etc.

My WTF battle was the girl in the tree town in ruby, Winona I think? Her pokemon kept using aerial ace and it brought me to 10hp so I used a hyper potion, rinse and repeat 12 FUCKING TIMES! she used buff and I rammed a fireblast down her throat.

Also had loads of trouble with Blaine (no water pokemon to use) and Surge (Electric pokemon have one weakness and lots of resistance) in SS

Pokemon leagues are so annoying these days. You need to be like 15 levels higher than them to win cos they have totally inflated stats. Karens Umbreon then Houndoom was what always got me. Umbreon is a shit pokemon with no good offensive moves but hers has an insanely high defense stat and it keeps using sand attack/agility so it becomes impossible to hit then you do really low damage. Then Houndoom would come out either after or instead of that with its insanely high attack. Before like the last 2 generations the leagues were really easy, you could go through the whole game with just your starter and a HM slave and just own the league with that.

Challenging Red at the top of Mt. Silver in SoulSilver. I had no idea his team would be that high a level, I almost beat him with my team of level 60-65 Pokemon, but that Lapras took out 4 of my team and Snorlax cleaned up after that...

My biggest failure in Pokemon was probably in elementary school when I traded a Blastoise for a Graveller. I thought it was justified at the time because it was the only was I was getting a Golem then that bastard David kept my Blastoise. Fuck that kid.

My biggest gaming failure in general is probably never having beaten Final Fantasy VI. I'm playing through it now though so I should have it done eventually...I'm also playing Dragon Warrior so my attention is a bit split. I'll finish it though!

scorptatious:
Snip

I can only imagine someone else has already pointed this out. But your first mistake was trying to beat the game with a bunch of lvl 44's (unless you're doing some kinda weird personal challenge in which you refuse to level up to appropriate levels...you really wanna be bare minimum 60 if you're going to beat the game).

pure.Wasted:
Did my answer have to do with Pokemon? I thought the title was just referring to the OP's example. :X

Yeah, the answer didn't have to do with Pokemon specifically. I kind of thought this thread would get more views if I mentioned Pokemon and used it as an example. :P

RJ 17:

scorptatious:
Snip

I can only imagine someone else has already pointed this out. But your first mistake was trying to beat the game with a bunch of lvl 44's (unless you're doing some kinda weird personal challenge in which you refuse to level up to appropriate levels...you really wanna be bare minimum 60 if you're going to beat the game).

Oh no, I've never beaten Ruby before and I now know what I did wrong.

But lv. 60? Are you referring to just beating the Pokemon League or are you also talking about the post game?

Arcadian Legend:
I remember years ago on Pokemon Silver (not long after it released here in the UK)I ended up wasting a Master Ball on a Ditto.

Yeah.

Don't feel bad. I wasted mine on a Clefairy on Yellow. :/

scorptatious:

pure.Wasted:

Yeah, the answer didn't have to do with Pokemon specifically. I kind of thought this thread would get more views if I mentioned Pokemon and used it as an example. :P

RJ 17:

scorptatious:
Snip

But lv. 60? Are you referring to just beating the Pokemon League or are you also talking about the post game?

60 is the minimum if you don't want to fighting for your life every step of the way. As you said, you burned through all your revives and full restores on the Elite 4...that shouldn't happen. :P

I guess it all started going pear shaped for me when 'catching them all' became an impossibility. Once that goal was kicked out of the realm of reality around generation 3, I really lost interest in the whole series.

And I couldn't get ahold of a DS so the second everything moved onto that I was finished.

I did very well with up until Crystal though, Celebii to this date was my only legitimately missing pokemon out of the 251. Mew was aquired from a friend who had been to an event and traveled with me through both of the stadiums and then colossieum. Him and Articuno were my two favorite legendaries and I'm very sad the battery has now officially died on my cartritages.

But Ruby and Sapphire I just couldn't keep the ball rolling, I was in no position to ever aquire Jirachi or that...odd Alien thing. And then when Fire Red and Leaf Green came around I just buggered around with a friends version of Leaf Green and became bored with it.

However I've recently been itching badly for a copy of Heart Gold and/or Soul Silver to try since I loved that Generation to death. It really defined a large portion of how I expect games to evolve and expand on their ideas.

But yeah. My failure was simply my own completionist nature. I wiped the floor with the Elite Four in every try.

the cocky bastard* only gave me very rudimentary trouble on my first go because I wasn't expecting him to pull level 70 pokemon out of the woodwork and I had been training a couple of pokemon from low levels, so that caught me off gaurd.

*way to be a douche and not even say hi, welcome to my nice mountain top, would you like something to drink before I pummel all your pokemon and kick you off?

RJ 17:

scorptatious:

pure.Wasted:

RJ 17:

60 is the minimum if you don't want to fighting for your life every step of the way. As you said, you burned through all your revives and full restores on the Elite 4...that shouldn't happen. :P

I didn't burn through all of them. I burnt through a lot of them but I still had a few left over. It's just that I didn't really feel like using them all up on the final battle if I knew none of my Pokemon would take out Metagross.

scorptatious:
Large Snip

You do realize that all stat increases/decreases revert to zero when you switch a pokemon out right?

Get yourself a MewTwo, a Zapdos, a Scizor, a Charizard, a Blastoise, and an Alakazam, all level 60 at least, and you'll do just fine. That's what I beat the game with last time I played through Sapphire. :P

But in all seriousness, as I bet most of the above mentioned pokemon will be out of your grasp, 44 is just way too low to try and beat the game. Go at least to 55. And even then it'll likely still be pretty tough.

AgnosticMessiah:

scorptatious:
Large Snip

You do realize that all stat increases/decreases revert to zero when you switch a pokemon out right?

I didn't know that. I guess that explains why my strategy failed. Perhaps I should replace Overheat with a fire attack that doesn't lower my special attack...

Cynthia kicked my ass the first few times

scorptatious:
Snip

Unless they've changed it (and I believe they hadn't back in Ruby/Sapphire), switching a Pokemon out of combat resets all of the stat gains/losses from things like Iron Defense or Sand-Attack.

Metagross was a pain, but I still think the only Elite Four worthy of their respective titles are the Red/Blue/Yellow/LeafGreen/FireRed ones. I remember the first time I ever reached them, my team was roughly something like this:
Haunter Lvl. 44
Gyarados Lvl. 45
Pidgeot Lvl. 43
Blastoise Lvl. 46
Articuno Lvl. 50
Dugtrio Lvl. 44

Sounds like I would be outmatched, surely? Getting past Lorelei was actually one of the biggest pains ever because no one on my team had an advantage against her and two of them could be one-shot by most of her team. Bruno was pathetically easy - Haunter or Pidgeot could easily one-hit his Fighting types and Blastoise took care of the Onixes. Agatha was touch-and-go. If Haunter got the first it, her Pokemon went down. If Gengar got the first hit... And Lance. We can never forget Lance, and his goddamn Thunder Wave-ing Dragonairs. Articuno could take care of most of his team, provided it wasn't Paralyzed.

The Champion. Now, for all of the people who either don't remember or just never played Pokemon, the Champion's team consists of six Pokemon who are all above Lvl. 60, save for an Alakazam which is damn powerful anyway. I believe in my particular case his team was as follows:
Pidgeot Lvl. 61
Alakazam Lvl. 59
Rhydon Lvl. 61
Arcanine Lvl. 63
Gyarados Lvl. 61
Venusaur Lvl. 65

Pidgeot wasn't too bad. Articuno's Ice Beam handled it pretty nicely. Gyarados was a tad trickier, but my own Gyarados managed to overcome it and Rhydon. Then came Arcanine, which Dugtrio was lucky enough to finish. Then he used Alakazam. Now, Alakazam is a Pokemon with insanely high Speed and Special Attack stats, at the cost of having very low Defense and Physical Attack stats. Alakazam was also ten or more levels higher than the majority of my team. When I finally beat him I had a Pidgeot with less than half of its health left and Blastoise. Venusaur took care of Pidgeot because its high Defense was enough to off-set the bonus gained from Flying attacks, and Blastoise never stood a chance.

With that story being said...

Red/Yellow/Blue were horribly unbalanced. I don't believe I've ever managed to get to the Elite Four and have my entire team just happen to already all be over level 50. Grinding in Victory Road sucked because 75% of the time you're getting low level Zubats and Machops that give almost no experience anyway when you defeat them. So, even though I did actually manage to beat the Elite Four with teams of Pokemon in the mid-to-high 40's fairly often, expecting the Player to either be that good or to grind it out was just ridiculous. Of course, I'm also one of those people who elected to not bother using the Master Ball on Mewtwo and caught him with a Great Ball instead...

Also, take what RJ 17 says with a grain of salt. You certainly don't need to level your entire team that high if you build them properly and plan to have one or two who are powerful against Steel-types. A Salamence, for instance...level 50 is typically a good bare minimum, level 60 is allowing yourself a large margin of error. Level 40-45 is for crazy people like me who enjoy smashing the Elite Four down with Pokemon that can die if they don't get the first hit.

EDIT: I actually purposely went back to catch and level a Bagon after the first time I lost to the Ruby/Sapphire Elite Four. Didn't stop until it was a Salamence, and man did that thing tear through them. Teach it Dragon Claw, Flamethrower, and Fly, and watch it crush the Elite Four.

Shanicus:

That's why my powerhouse Pikachu (in SoulSilver) has Iron Tail. Granted, I still wouldn't use him against a Golem if I could help it, but still.

I haven't tried in about 8 years, but I never did make it through the ice cave between the 7th and 8th gym in Pokemon Gold/Silver.

Waaaayyyyy back in the day, during those olden days of red and blue version...

So, I had no idea that your rival would challenge you before you went in to victory road. My pokemon were all upper 30's lower 40's in level, and I was going to train them before fighting the elite four, but they definitely weren't ready yet. I decided to just get the badges thing out of the way...

And my rival shows up. And utterly wipes the floor with me and my pokemon.

It wasn't quite a failure though. I had caught an extremely high level Weezing on Cinnibar a moment before and was actually able to use my Weezing to win!! But it was a REALLY close thing...

necromanzer52:

Haxxle:

Haha. I wasted my master ball on a graveller the first time I got one. That's not quite as bad...right?

I used my Master-Balls on A Shiny MewTwo(In SoulSilver), and on a Shiny Pikachu (In HeartGold). I am happy :P

However, I am not happy when I lost my SoulSilver (Obtained EVERY Pokemon, including shiny Mew, MewTwo, Lugia, Ho-oh, Suicune, Raicune, Entei, Articuno, Moltres, and Zapdos). That is my biggest fail :( They were all obtained legit too!

My only Question. lvl44 is high Enough for the Elite Four these days? I remember being like lvl 83 in red versions..... standards dropping or was I just extremely over leveled back then?

I was playing a nuzlocke run (If a pokemon faints, it's dead) on FireRed. Recently caught a Snorlax. I was gonna make it so awesome. Body Slam, Brick Break, Shadowball, Earthquake, that was the plan.

There I was in Silph Co. when the guy sends out Machop lv. 28. "Easy," I thought, "Snorlax is lv. 35." Oh, how wrong I was. Used Body Slam, sliver of HP left. Machop uses Revenge. For those that don't know, Revenge is Fighting type which is double damage against Snorlax's Normal type, and also does double damage if the user takes damage on the same turn. QUADRUPLE DAMAGE. Snorlax dies, I mourn, and have to find a new mon to fight Sabrina.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked