Ridiculously unfair stuff in multiplayer

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

So just a little topic, ever had any insanely unfair games/sessions/team compositions etc etc over the course of your gaming career?

For me it's got to be the Invasion system in Dark Souls 60% of the time. Basically you use an item and you enter a random person's game world and try to murder the fuck out of him for lolz. You only invade upwards level-wise though so you're always supposed to be roundabout the same level as the guy you're invading

People start to abuse the leveling system by not leveling at all and getting end-game equipment (through glitches, getting gifted it or just beating the bosses) to absolutely destroy the newer players they just get matched with. Basically after just about failing a legit Invasion of mine (at level 6 with base eqiupment, naturally) I was then set upon by this guy with the most obcene set of end-game equipment i have ever seen.

Waved at him then quit to dashboard. Not losing my Humanity over such bullshit, and to be honest killing some random noob and taking their probably only Humanity, gains you fuck all and you've just ruined some guy's day...

Another problem comes in from people summoning other people to help fight you off, that on its own is fine, the host has to do whatever it takes to live because you're just waltzing into his game session and trying to ruin potentially hours of progress. But when are actually people summoning guys in advance to wait for your supposedly "random" invade and then ambushing you it starts to seem a bit broken.

Oh, and the Red Soapstone is a joke, never use it. It's meant to be a fair fight where you put your summons down, the guy takes you up on the challenge and you fight to the death. Instead he summons a fuckton of guys, summons you and they all just spawn kill you.

Yeah, those guys suck.

Best tip I have is to simply stay hollowed and only return to human form for boss battles until you're a higher level.

Say it all with me now!

RANDOM NUMBER GENERATOR

TF2, 95% ubercharge, A WILD CROCKET APPEARS!

Gonna have to go with the Banshee in Halo Reach. It can be countered with a Scorpion or a Falcon, but on the maps where they aren't around that thing can be a real pain in the rear, dive bombing people and fliping around like the pilot has ADHD which makes it impossible to hit with anything other than a SPARTAN laser, and can instakill you with ease. Oh yeah, can the Guass Warthog.

Host Advantage in Gears 2. Yeah it got fixed and Gears 3 doesn't have it but in it's prime, you knew who the host was because he had 30+ kills on everyone else.

Aircross:
Say it all with me now!

RANDOM NUMBER GENERATOR

Fuck random crits.

Whoever thought that was a good idea has no concept of game balance.

Lets see there's:

Inception Spawn in MW3 - you get to see kill cams, threw other kill cams with more kill cams.
WoW PvP - if your leveling in wow on a pvp server, good luck.

BiggyShackleton:
Host Advantage in Gears 2. Yeah it got fixed and Gears 3 doesn't have it but in it's prime, you knew who the host was because he had 30+ kills on everyone else.

That pretty much sums that up.

Black-Ops Split Screen Wager Matches - just no, because all they do is work together then wait till the time runs out.
L4D2 Multiplayer Points - just because one team member can run to the end, shouldn't mean you win. It's survival game, you need to work with your team to survive.

Daystar Clarion:

Aircross:
Say it all with me now!

RANDOM NUMBER GENERATOR

Fuck random crits.

Whoever thought that was a good idea has no concept of game balance.

But it's nice when you're the one that shoots the random crocket.

I didn't feel that it was too big of a deal. Although, I did used to enjoy playing on pure Truservers (No random crits, basically.)

OT: As for ridiculously unfair stuff, hmmm....

-the Charge ability in Assassin's Creed multiplayer mode, Assassination. Lock onto someone, they lol charge you and knock you out, then farm max-focus poison kills on your unconscious body... Listen. I understand the mechanics of the game let you do that, but go fuck yourself.

-spawn camping in Day of Defeat. gaaaah horrible memories.

-Host advantage on Gears of War 2. what a joke.

-Getting ganked in MMO's by high level players, as a low level. Unfair in every single sense of the word.

-Sagat. I guess not exactly 'unfair', but a royal pain in the ass and symbolizes everything I hate about Capcom 2d fighters. (TIGER SHOT. TIGER SHOT. TIGER SHOT. TIGER SHOT. TIGERTIGERTIGERTIGERTIGERTIGERTIGERTIGERTIGETIGETIGETIGETIGTIGTIGTIGTIGTITITITITI-)

I'm a bit surprised with myself right now. Balance is important as HELL to me in multiplayer, and I remember there being so many badly balanced games full of abusive exploits that offend my gaming sensibilities... Yet I can't seem to think of many examples at the moment.

Daystar Clarion:
Yeah, those guys suck.

Best tip I have is to simply stay hollowed and only return to human form for boss battles until you're a higher level.

I've actually managed to (almost) complete the game on my main account and looks like lvl 71 is an awful time to start trying PvP because i'm getting owned by all the New Game + people. I want to get into the co-op and PvP because I feel like i've been missing half the content by being Hollowed 90% of the time.

So, new account being human all the time because hey, i'm actually decent at not dying now and I know you can skip the Depths and most of Blighttown via Valley of Drakes (thank you NorthenLion's LP)

And legit Invasions (both by me and against me) are actually pretty fun! Can you buy Cracked Red Eye Orbs from anywhere that's not the Darkwraiths? Because I really don't want to have to rush the Four Kings to get them... Ever.

Doesn't even look like there's much co-op by that boss as well...

Ah well, back to shouting "THAT WAS A FUCKING PARRY YOU DICK!" at my TV again. Fuck you Gwyn. I'm gonna continue blaming input lag.

A few months ago, I would have said the Demoknight from Team Fortress 2. Now that I know how to efficiently play as Pyro however, these guys aren't as big as an issue anymore. Axtinguisher FTW.

Random crits are still annoying though. :(

BiggyShackleton:

The funny thing about that game was that whenever you pulled something awesome off, it was marred by the fact that A. You might be the Host so that pentakill wasn't your skill at all or B. Everyone else just calls (correctly or no) "HOST!" and the impact of the win is lessened a bit.

I can't remember if there was a sign on the leaderboard signifying who was the Host...

God I can't believe I forgot about Host Advantage, that was so hilariously bad

Dota 2 can be really unbalanced and annoying, anti-mage can be overpowered pretty much the whole game.

Engie nests.

Well not really since im an expert on busting them but still they do slow the game down like a bitch.

The Wykydtron:

BiggyShackleton:

The funny thing about that game was that whenever you pulled something awesome off, it was marred by the fact that A. You might be the Host so that pentakill wasn't your skill at all or B. Everyone else just calls (correctly or no) "HOST!" and the impact of the win is lessened a bit.

I can't remember if there was a sign on the leaderboard signifying who was the Host...

Yeah there was no way from telling if someone else had it but the host could tell from some stuff that happened in the run up to the game, ie. the countdown timer would flash twice, you'd actually see it get to 00, subtle things. If you saw that you knew you could pretty much breeze through the enemy team.

EA's servers

Seriously every time I've play the ME multiplayer recently I get kicked off the server in the last 30 of the match

AAAHHHHHHHHH!

Aircross:
Say it all with me now!

RANDOM NUMBER GENERATOR

And this is why I don't play on servers with random crits enabled. Forseeable damage > all!

TheKasp:

Aircross:
Say it all with me now!

RANDOM NUMBER GENERATOR

And this is why I don't play on servers with random crits enabled. Forseeable damage > all!

Same.

It's also much more tactical than having that one guy spamming rockets hoping for a lucky crit.

Stopped playing on servers with crits two weeks after getting the game back in 2009.

The Wykydtron:

BiggyShackleton:

I still regularly get accused of being host in Ranked.. ie where there's dedicated servers 99% of the time..

I hate people.

The Wykydtron:
So just a little topic, ever had any insanely unfair games/sessions/team compositions etc etc over the course of your gaming career?

For me it's got to be the Invasion system in Dark Souls 60% of the time. Basically you use an item and you enter a random person's game world and try to murder the fuck out of him for lolz. You only invade upwards level-wise though so you're always supposed to be roundabout the same level as the guy you're invading

People start to abuse the leveling system by not leveling at all and getting end-game equipment (through glitches, getting gifted it or just beating the bosses) to absolutely destroy the newer players they just get matched with. Basically after just about failing a legit Invasion of mine (at level 6 with base eqiupment, naturally) I was then set upon by this guy with the most obcene set of end-game equipment i have ever seen.

Waved at him then quit to dashboard. Not losing my Humanity over such bullshit, and to be honest killing some random noob and taking their probably only Humanity, gains you fuck all and you've just ruined some guy's day...

Another problem comes in from people summoning other people to help fight you off, that on its own is fine, the host has to do whatever it takes to live because you're just waltzing into his game session and trying to ruin potentially hours of progress. But when are actually people summoning guys in advance to wait for your supposedly "random" invade and then ambushing you it starts to seem a bit broken.

Oh, and the Red Soapstone is a joke, never use it. It's meant to be a fair fight where you put your summons down, the guy takes you up on the challenge and you fight to the death. Instead he summons a fuckton of guys, summons you and they all just spawn kill you.

:P Sounds like you just don't like games that are built specifically for griefing. The funny thing about Dark Souls is that you don't need to be invaded, the game itself is quite proficient at griefing on its own. :P

To add in my own list of "Fuuuuuuuuuuck that" bullshit, I'll toss out a number of weapons from AvP 2, the game that I've had the most experience playing online.

1: Marine Grenade Launcher. Timed and Proximity mines are alright, but Spider and EMP grenades are ridiculously overpowerd.

2: Marine rocket launcher's homing mode. Yeah, once you get a lock, the target is dead. Period. You could pull the trigger from across the map and watch the tart run behind three buildings and jump into a tunnel...the rocket will follow the target's exact path and blow'em up, laughing as it makes as many 90 degree turns as it wants.

3: Marine Smart Gun. Soooo your aim never leaves me if I'm on your screen, you just have to hold down the trigger? There's a word for that in other games...it's called using an aim-bot.

4: Predator Shoulder Cannon. 2 charged shots that never miss and you're dead? Yeah, that's pretty over powered.

5: Just to be fair I'll go ahead and say the spear gun because a camping pred is 100% invisible to marines and there's really not much they can do about a pred with a speargun that knows how to aim it.

Oh, and another gun that's just retardedly overpowered is the X-Ray sniper rifle from Perfect Dark. It zooms through walls, ceilings, and floors, and you hold down a button and it'll automatically seek out a target and lock onto them, allowing you to pull the trigger and kill them from anywhere on the map.

Unfair stuff in multiplayer?

The first thing that came to my mind was Battlefield 3.

It just doesn't strike me as fair that it doesn't really separate the low level players from the high level ones, and can just sorta turn it into a steamroll if a team consisting of inexperienced low-levels have to go up against a team of high-levels who on top of being plain better that the low leveled inexperienced ones, have way more benefits as well. :[

BiggyShackleton:

The Wykydtron:

BiggyShackleton:

Yeah there was no way from telling if someone else had it but the host could tell from some stuff that happened in the run up to the game, ie. the countdown timer would flash twice, you'd actually see it get to 00, subtle things. If you saw that you knew you could pretty much breeze through the enemy team.

On Gears 2 if you threw a smoke and you were host then it'd spin in the air and when a round was over you weren't able to melee.
There's a couple of ways to tell with 3 but they're harder to pinpoint. Host does still play an advantage though, in competitive matches we have our host as main slayer with shotgun just cause it seems to hit harder, and whenever he lancers then he can drop people more reliably.

Spawn camping and yes I do not give a fuck I will spec nade you for it in CoDs 2 and 4 if you do not stop and you are knowingly doing it. I really don't care you make online multiplayer a bad place to be. Just to clarify I do not mean camping in spawn I mean camping someone else's spawn so you can kill everyone more or less as soon as they step outside.

The plasma gun in Tribes: Ascend for about the five days before they fixed it. Your hitbox for the purposes of that thing hitting you was something along the lines of three to four times that of normal.
But then they fixed it and I was happily doing well in Arena again. Still a bit of a pain to play against, but nothing so insurmountable as it was before they fixed it.

People who intentionally cause lag in CTF of the same game. Pathfinder comes in and grabs the flag under guise of lag and you don't even get told about it until he's teleported 1/4 the way back to his base.

In regards to Dark Souls, I feel your pain OP. Most of the time, I play Dark Souls either offline, or hollowed. There have been a few occasions when I've had to regain human form online (to kindle bonfires and suchlike) and I was invaded the first time I got into

So I'm still fairly low level for this point of the game, and I'm playing a rougeish character, so I've got light armour and a longbow, and obviously this section isn't easy, I'm making slow, tense progress through this army of bastards who can pretty much one shot me, and I'm like halfway through, when I get invaded by this fucker dual weilding scythes.

Needless to say, it didn't end well, and I had to start the whole fucking section again from scratch. The only consolation I had was that he didn't get any fucking humanity from me, because I didn't have any.

The fact that ME multiplayer really only has one mode
Yeah I know, just wait for the next DLC pack

WoW, heirloom items in low-level PvP. (Basically amazing scaling gear you can buy at ~maximum level for your alts)

Don't have a full set? Too bad, enjoy getting oneshotted by almost every other player.

Perhaps submachineguns in general.

Fast rate of fire and unrealistic spread make them more useful than shotguns a lot of times and have such high power that they make both shotguns and assault rifles redundant.

And let's not mention that games like CoD have like 5 square meters of area and the inaccuracy of SMGs doesn't make a difference.

A lot of spawns. The MW spawn system has been broken for the past 3 games with no fix, in BF2 it is plagued by spawnkilling. But at least you can chose where you spawn.

Noshahr canals on Battlefield 3.

If you're on the side that spawns on the carrier then prepare to have a whale of time trying to even make it to the docks as you're being sniped by soldiers, a tank or two and there's an enemy helicopter spawncamping and blowing up your helicopters. What do you do if your helicopters get destroyed?

....You take a boat. A little shitty thing that's just begging for a tank to blow it out of the water provided one of the snipers don't headshot your as you're driving it.

Very unbalanced map is basically what I'm getting at.

No one said this yet? Yay i'll be the first .

WESKER!
WESKER!
WESKER!

Really anyone that uses Wesker in UMVC3 doesn't care for a fair fight . Best tip i have recieved for dealing with wesker is , don't get hit ... EVER .

The most overpowered thing in multiplayer is when your brother screen watches. Always rage-inducing!

RJ 17:

Oh, and another gun that's just retardedly overpowered is the X-Ray sniper rifle from Perfect Dark. It zooms through walls, ceilings, and floors, and you hold down a button and it'll automatically seek out a target and lock onto them, allowing you to pull the trigger and kill them from anywhere on the map.

You're talking about the Farsight XR-20 and it was nowhere near as overpowered as you make it sound. You were a sitting duck whenever you were using it, and the secondary function where you lock onto the enemy moved so slowly it could be outrun. It was useless outside of 1v1 and maybe 2v2.

Aircross:
Say it all with me now!

RANDOM NUMBER GENERATOR

Pyro uses air blast!

ITS SUPER EFFECTIVE!

seriously, got tons of lolz when I played TF2 and pyro's, made numerous spy's ragequit.

OT: I dont really play too many games anymore where things get so unfair that people get mad.

so, for sake of the thread, KoA: Reckoning, playing a walking tank with greatswords/hammers.

Most of the later enemies can either stagger lock you [hit you so you stagger allowing for the other five enemies to do the exact same], or teleport when you get within 10 meters and immediately throw every spell they have at you.

Well, whole team spawn camping in grifball, and the ledge on swordbase in infection.

thanks for taking whats supposed to be fun, silly gametypes and sucking the fun out for everyone else just so you can pad your stats out with easy kills.

I loved all the raging that blew through the bungie forums when they made the swordbase ledge a soft-kill zone.

Host advantage is one thing, admittedly. But you know what really rips my cock off?

Freemium content. You know, games where you have to pay real money to unlock certain items/weapons. Now, if the devs are smart, they won't be unbalancing. But even if they ARE smart, often times they'll be such *anyways*, because nobody can catch everything. So what often happens is some of the premium content winds up being a ludicrous advantage, making it pay to win.

It sucks for those of us who either can't pay, or are insulted by the thought of the highest bidder being the winner.

mass talons or dryads/the other druids in WC3, i hated those

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked