Most ridiculously adictive games you've ever played... especially stupid ones!

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

I've found my self clicking away madly at some good games, and stupid games, and they typically had one thing in common: a system that made me feel rewarded.

This is different than just thinking a game very well done and exciting. I loved Halo 1 and 2. Great graphics and controls. But I've practically been compelled to play:

1) Diablo: PC. Great actions RPG, maybe the first I'd ever played. I didn't even understand the upgrade system at first. Once I got it, it had me.
2) Fallout 3: This is kind of in between. When I played the space ship level, I was just crazed with greed, picking up great and valuable weapons. But the gameplay was something special.
3) While I'm having fun at this site and reading the Drudge report, I click over to another tab and play this stupid web game Thirst of Night. Dumbest game I've ever been addicted to. And I'm not willing to spend money on this free game, so, I'll only go so far (To really play, you have to buy stuff for a gargoyle. Not going to happen. I heard about Apple getting sued by parents whose addicted kids spent thousands on this sort of thing. But for now, stupid fun.

Your greatest addictions?

Diablo 2 back in highschool . Seriously of i spent only half the time i spent on that game studying , i would be a certified doctor right now ( i'm 23 ) . Unfortunately i got addicted and now i am a college drop out working at a grocery store ... ... Totally worth it .

krazykidd:
Diablo 2 back in highschool . Seriously of i spent only half the time i spent on that game studying , i would be a certified doctor right now ( i'm 23 ) . Unfortunately i got addicted and now i am a college drop out working at a grocery store ... ... Totally worth it .

LOL, I'm lucky I passed all my exams. Doom 2 for PC was the only great game to play at the time, and I didn't want to stop till I found every piece of armor.

Then before my license exam, had actually over studied and played Baldur's Gate II on the Gamecube.

All was well though.

Animal Crossing. That game is boring as fuck but it's so damn addictive!

I always hesitate before starting up any turn based strategy game ala Civilization, GalCiv2, or Total War as it's pretty much guaranteed once I do so I'll be playing till the wee hours of the morning, work or no.

I really am a shameless 'one more turn' addict.

Monster Hunter.

Seriously, most addictive game I've ever played.

It presses all my buttons.

Lots of equipment to craft, killing monsters and carving them up to get those materials, super fun combat, brilliant animation, awesome difficulty.

The whole thing is just brilliant.

Most recently it has been Ecoo the Dolphin. I won't stop until I beat it. Other than that, EVE Online until I quit not too long ago and SC2 took its place.

SuperNova221:
Most recently it has been Ecoo the Dolphin. I won't stop until I beat it. Other than that, EVE Online until I quit not too long ago and SC2 took its place.

Got a buddy trying to get me into EVE. He does spend money on it, so, I'm just too far behind him to be a decent ally.

World of Warcraft. I play it rarely, but when I do I play to excess. I'm just hitting my burn out point for the third time. I'm almost glad that many of the changes coming with Mists seem likely to kill my interest in that game for good.

Almost.

The Madman:
I always hesitate before starting up any turn based strategy games ala Civilization, GalCiv2, or Total War as it's pretty much guaranteed once I do so I'll be playing till the wee hours of the morning, work or no.

I really am a shameless 'one more turn' addict.

I'd like a reasonably new off line game. This stupid Thirst game I'm playing, 1/2 the fun is deciding what to build in my city next. Any of those you noted like that?

Daystar Clarion:
Monster Hunter.

Seriously, most addictive game I've ever played.

It presses all my buttons.

Lots of equipment to craft, killing monsters and carving them up to get those materials, super fun combat, brilliant animation, awesome difficulty.

The whole thing is just brilliant.

I've got to start writing these suggestions down. I'll definitely look into Monster Hunter.

The Wonderful End of the World / Katamari.

Those games just are full of fun and if i start them i can't stop playing them.

I almost flunked 9th Grade because of Warcraft 3 a decade ago. True story.

Nothing like skipping 40 days of school in a year to play video games!

Uhhg The witcher, Chapter five or six is so frustrating but I cant stop trying even though I think its impossible to go on.

Both Harvest Moon and Terraria have very addictive qualities.

It's like they invoke your grinding instincts in the right way.

Total War: Shogun 2 and Fallout 3.
Before I cleared them to make room on my Xbox hard drive a year back or so, I had at least one file with over 300 hours in it. I was that much of a loser in sixth grade.
It was worth it, though. That game is seriously amazing.

GTA: San Andreas.

Fun forever.

Next up on that list:

Just Cause 2

Hazy992:
Animal Crossing. That game is boring as fuck but it's so damn addictive!

Ha ha glad to see I'm not the only one to spend hours of my life playing this game.

But one game that i got surprisingly addicted to was Red Faction Guerrilla. Something about going around and destroying stuff was extremely entertaining for me. I restarted the game multiple times just to find the most effective and awesome ways to destroy a particular structure.

Harvest Moon. Seriously, they're boring as fuck, the games never offer anything new, yet I constantly played them in elementary school.

I'll second World of Warcraft. During Burning Crusade, (in addition weekly raids) hardly a night would go by without me logging on for about an hour or so to do dailies, level or do random quests. I don't play it anymore since Cata, but still good times were had.

For me it was always "The Urbz" stupidest game ever however, I freaking could never put it away because I was doing some much grind or dressing them up or like comparing tattoos and piercings. That and the very old (just for girls I think) "Rockett's New School" back when I was younger. Ohh that game, I was always playing it when I was allowed on the computer.

I'm also guilty of former WoW addiction. And the Hitman trilogy. Yes, trilogy. What is that "Codename: 47" you speak of? *glare glare* Diablo 2, too. And from newer stuff, I logged a lot on Dungeon Defenders. And older stuff, Disgaea.

As for the silly simple stuff? Well I give you Trigger Knight

Borderlands. I was addicted to finding new weapons and shooting at the same respawning baddies over and over just to test the weapons. I'd camp outside the gun vending machines just to see the latest inventory and then spend all my money on shiny new toys. I would also run through the same dungeons over and over just to get into the weapon crates for the billionth time.

It was a shallow game with an amazing gun gimmick. If that game had been sandbox or at least action RPG, I would have married it.

Sixcess:
World of Warcraft. I play it rarely, but when I do I play to excess. I'm just hitting my burn out point for the third time. I'm almost glad that many of the changes coming with Mists seem likely to kill my interest in that game for good.

Almost.

Exactly what happened with me in WoW. I have something along the lines of 400 (can't remember exactly, but it was over a year) days played in Wow, now I can't do anything in the game.

Goddamn Puzzle Pirates. I don't even like the game, I just keep coming back to it for reasons that escape me. Hell, I only do actual jobs to feed my in-game poker addiction.

For me it was Gemcraft Labyrinth, a web based tower defence game, but it's got so much content to it. Around that point I got loaned a 360 with a bunch of games, yet, I still kept going back to this damnedest flash game!

I think the fact that it's the third in a series really shows in how they've refined the core gameplay however, and replay value is actually part of the game.

http://armorgames.com/play/10317/gemcraft-labyrinth

World of Warcraft until I realized I wasn't having any fun, just wasting my time.

City Of Heroes was amazing until my cousin cancelled our subscription, but I can't get back into it.

My most beloved and severe addiction came from playing Persona 4. When I wasn't playing it I was reading up on it and when I wasn't reading up on it I was dreaming about it in my sleep. I forgot to eat, lost sleep, and didn't even want to go out with friends.

Peggle :|

Once that game gets you, it gets you good.

The original Starcraft. I can't tell you how many times I replayed the 1st terran scenario when you 1st get siege tanks. The same is true of the mission where you land your buildings on that space platform and you can finally make nukes for the 1st time. Played that game into the ground.

WoW: Vanilla through to cata. Though with breaks in between.
Diablo II. I got my 1st taste of the necromancer class and have loved just about every iteration of it since.

I'm really going to show my age here but, I loved the necromancer in Everquest. I loved the kiting mechanics and watching my DoTs eat the faces of some of the truly nastiest creatures ever conceived in a MMORPG. I raided in WoW, but if you've never raided in EQ; you haven't raided. Peroid.

Skyrim. I think I've kind of hit the wall in that one though. My rogue is too angry and 1 shots everything now haha.

Right now I'm stuck on World of Tanks. It's like playing a 3rd person shooter, with more mobility and stealth mechanics. Plus everytime you see a new tank you're like wtf is that and have to go look it up on wikipedia. Tangential learning ftw!

Dawn of War Dark Crusade and Soulstorm.
That is addictive.

I'd say that two Harvest Moon games are really addictive, Harvest Moon 64 and Friends of Mineral Town for GBA. If you ever need to play any of the series, those are the two to play.

The first Mass Effect game has the honor of being one of those games that just so happened to be EXACTLY the kind of game that I was searching for at the time, and I couldn't get enough of it. Because of that, I kinda hold it in higher regard over the second one.

My favorite game is still Skies of Arcadia Legends on Gamecube. I rarely find JRPGs addicting, but, hey, its not my favorite for nothing.

Jet Grind Radio on Dreamcast was a game that I couldn't put down until I got Jet rank on every mission in one go, unlocking the bipedal dog.

And for my favorite series, Zelda, I'd have to go with my first and third favs as the most addicting: Majora's Mask and Spirit Tracks. Majora's Mask for the great multitude of sidequests and how the differ per day, Spirit Tracks because I just liked pretty much everything I was supposed to do everywhere I went.

Damn, someone already mentioned Peggle. That game definitely makes you feel good about playing it. You feel like it is all skill based even though there is some luck to it since its basically Pachinko, then once you hit that last peg and "Ode To Joy" blares and the fireworks start there is no way you don't feel good about that last shot.

I am going to put in the Etrian Odyssey series. I've only played 2 and 3 (never beat either) but those games scratch that classic RPG itch. I think part of it has to do with how they encourage exploration by making you create your own map of all the floors. Its difficulty also done in a good way, all the deaths in that game seem justifiable, it was more my fault for taking unnecessary risks rather than the game being unfair. It makes no apologies for how hard it is since the game does quite a bit to tell you what affects you and which enemies are the hardest to fight.

Cave Story. The original. Got it a few days ago,and I've yet to play anything since. I usually get a game,sample it,then move on to my current big project,which is generally an Elder Scrolls,Fallout,or BioWare release.

I can't get enough of the music,nor can I get enough of the gameplay itself. Sure,there's little replay value outside of simply wanting to play the story again,but,I've yet to get to that stage;the Sacred Grounds are kicking my ass too much to allow progress. But,eventhough I die constantly,I still love the game,even the seemingly impossible Sacred Grounds. Because it is a VERY well made game.

Before that,though,was Minecraft. Very easy to lose all sense of time in that game,especially when you feel badass enough to go Enderman hunting with no armour and two wooden swords every night.

However,before that? Jak 2. Sadly,I've yet to play the first game,and no longer own a sony console,so if you lynch me,I'll go unfulfilled and haunt your ass as a rage filled poltergiestic revenant. Jak 2 had AMAZING and fluid combat,based around four guns and three melee moves,and was surprisingly varried. And then there was the infinite fun of dive-bombing Krimzon Guard zoomer patrols...FREE AMMO! And the storyline makes sense,too. Just so long as oyu can deal with the migraines about the particulars about it. I won't spoil,but the concept and mechanics involved are very complex and convoluted,yet deceptively simple.

Let's see here...

Pokemon (all handheld games)
Borderlands
Diablo II
World of Warcraft
Skyrim
Fallout: New Vegas
Fallout 3 (The MIRV Launcher keeps bringing me back in...)
Final Fantasy XII
Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
Tribes Ascend (have earnt 30,000 experience since I started playing... I earn about 1,000 experience a match...)
Minecraft (sort of - Need to start a new world due to the sheer number of changes, but have done massive things in my current world. Now too irritated to play, even though I want too...)

Those are all the ridiculously addictive games I keep playing, regardless of how many times I finish them. My WoW fever is burning out though, but shall shortly be replaced by Diablo III and Guild Wars II.
And When Borderlands II comes out later this year... well, your never going to hear from me again. It has MORE GUNS. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE???

Diablo 2
Minecraft
Pokemon Red Version

I spent WAY WAY too much time in Jr High school playing that game, I cant even begin to tell you how many hours were wasted. Minecraft caused me to fail an entire quarter of college. And Lastly I played Red Version like my life depended on it back in elementary school.

Fallout 3 and Minecraft took many, many days from my life. Even worse was when I started modding for Fallout 3.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here