why do we love to hate?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

just take a look at those "worst game you own" and "games not worth playing" threads

I can pretty much garruntee you that you wouldnt get the same amount of responses from posative equivalents of those threads

we love to hate

we like to focus on the negative, on whats wrong, on whats sucks, on what used to be great but NOW sucks, on whos screwing us, on whos screwing them, or who they are screwing

why?

Im not saying "geeze guys..can't ya'll just be posative for a change?" what Im asking is why do we find anger and negativity more satisfying than posativity? I mean theres has to be somthing to it...otherwise people would nerdage about all things videogames as mcuh as they do

and heres a second question

is it possible to make a concious effort to NOT be negative and cynical? to enjoy things more rather than hate? I genuinly curious,

I mean lets be honest, how can people who claim to love gaming hate it so much?

Vault101:
just take a look at those "worst game you own" and "games not worth playing" threads

I can pretty much garruntee you that you wouldnt get the same amount of responses from posative equivalents of those threads

To be fair we got 8 pages of "The Best JRPG Ever" though I think some bashing went on there. There was a pair of threads about the games that have aged best and the games that have aged worst, but I lost track of them and don't feel like searching. Don't know how they compared.

Anyway, I've got to say, I don't usually focus on the negative. If I didn't care for a game I'm more inclined to forget it unless asked. I'm much more inclined to think of the games I'd like to replay over those I didn't like. I'd hope most other people are that way too... but idk.

is it possible to make a concious effort to NOT be negative and cynical? to enjoy things more rather than hate? I genuinly curious,

Sure I think it's possible if someone wants to. Just like it's possible to make an effort to be negative and cynical.

Vault101:

Of course.

I personally don't take part in those threads.

I find that talking about things that I like is more fun than talking about something I don't. Sometimes I'll pop in to make a small point and there are some instances where it's difficult for me to ignore, but for the most part I'll stick to the happy side of things.

Because few things are as satisfying as shaking your fist and yelling, "Fuck you!"

There's already too much positivity in the world. Fuckin' namby-pamby, hand holding, ecofeminazi horseshit.

We provide the antithesis and the balance against such overwhelming contradictions against human nature.

Back in the day my grandpappy told me a saying.

"Haters gonna hate"

what comes in the internet box comes out pure hate. Tis how the world works, youngin'

We love to love just as much as we love to hate, the only difference is love will keep people calmly strolling along while hate will quickly inspire raised eyebrows and counter hate, then suddenly the flames are on!

It's more interesting, both to read and to write, if you accentuate the negative.

Just look at Zero Punctuation.

I find I can write far more about games I hate than about games I love, and it's more likely to spur a response and keep the discussion going.

If I ever come across that way, it's not because I prefer it. I'm just really disappointed with most products these days. They are usually really poor one way or another, and frankly I just want to shoot it down because I believe that's what it deserves. You may see me as negative, I see it as fair.

Good games I'll praise, but I won't go right over the edge and call it perfect. Bad games, I will point out positives sometimes and even mention they should keep that in.

I love games, I believe they are capable of being the most entertaining out of all arts, but flaws are flaws and I will point it out when I feel like it.

It's easier to find the negatives than the postitives, so people just focus on the negatives.

Hatred is a very strong emotion that can be created easily. We love to hate on things because it's so easy to hate something.

Look at EA, they have got so much hate now that even if they suddenly started speaking out against anti-consumer practices and making incredible games, they probably still wouldn't be able to flly recover from the hatred they have managed to get now.

Then we have something like Bioware, a company who people loved. Their fans loved them and they were a very popular game company. If you had started a poll to ask for a really good developer they would have had a good score. Now they are hated by many and they probably also won't be able to ever recover from it.

Because the alternative is 20 threads on how great Skyrim/the latest game is, which is arguably more annoying than the ME3 threads were. At least there was some fun drama to follow in those threads.

And as a general rule, the whole purpose of the internet is to watch people get into absolutely pointless arguments and lose it.

hazabaza1:
It's easier to find the negatives than the postitives, so people just focus on the negatives.

This is my take as well.

You will have a harder time talking about what you like about something that what you hate about something. That's why I tend to respect people more if they have as deep an insight on why something is good rather than why something is bad.

I think people just like to vent, and you can't really vent while saying positive things, so negative things are said instead.

Positive things are harder to pin down. I'd imagine it's also the same reason heads get put on pikes, so people can point to the game and say "SEE THIS? DO YOU SEE THIS? DON'T EVER DO THIS OR THIS COULD BE YOU"

It is easier to focus on negative than positive but this is just the internet being misanthropic and a place to voice their opinions. I know every forum has a prevailing view that is better than another forum but we're all equally as shit as each other in that respect.

Also the drama everyone loves a good drama, argument and devil's advocate people just don't like admitting they like to argue with the butt headed stubborn people. Besides, we have to shake things up a bit every now and then yes?

Captcha: oh, you
Not sure how I feel about that.

Vault101:

we love to hate

we like to focus on the negative, on whats wrong, on whats sucks, on what used to be great but NOW sucks, on whos screwing us, on whos screwing them, or who they are screwing

why?

Im not saying "geeze guys..can't ya'll just be posative for a change?" what Im asking is why do we find anger and negativity more satisfying than posativity? I mean theres has to be somthing to it...otherwise people would nerdage about all things videogames as mcuh as they do

Hate is the wrong word. Angry, frustrated and disappointed are much more the right words for what I see. There is no one posting who "hates", even if they use the word (wrongly). For instance, I "hate" that social game companies hire psychologists to help them mind-screw people into continuing to play a game they otherwise would voluntarily quit, and for good reason - the game isn't worth playing further.

But the truth is that I'm more angry that mind-screwing people for money is legal and both shocked and horrified that it's resulted in many billions of dollars of rewards for the offenders. I don't see this as resulting in any good, and there's jack-all I can do because of all the money they have gotten, so I'm frustrated to boot.

So when I say I "hate social games", hate is just a shorthand word for that whole complex of feelings about the subject.

People love drama. You can't create drama by talking about and agreeing about things you like. Hating things has a way bigger chance of offending some insecure douchebag who will explode with rage at you, thereby causing drama for the parasitic retard masses to feed off of.

Basically, they're all trolls.

Because a room full of people who agree completely on any given topic is a boring room.

I'd say humans are more defined by what they dislike than what they like.

Some games aren`t just as good as you wish them to be. Those are the ones getting the complaints and even for those you liked the whole "what could be better" nitpicking is always worth a discussion (for most it seems, me included). I don`t see it negative. When i`m looking for information bitching is important and so is praise.

The only thing i donīt like is senseless bashing of unreleased ips or franchises.

Hate is that much easier to express than love.

Though it would be funny to see a war fought with hugs.

Well, that simple, cynicism makes us feel better than other people. If we don't like something, we can pretend that its because we are part of an intellectual master race, letting the sheeple chew their manufactured cud, rather than a myriad of other, more reasonable causes. In turn, I get to feel superior to those cynics by talking down to them in an unashamedly pretentious manner.

Reminds me of something a Freud said, "The best way to win an argument is to scientifically prove that your opponent wants to fuck their own mother".

Because everyone has an EGO, whether big or small, and stroking one's ego in whatever fashion (I'm different/ special/ better/ right!!!) makes the world go round.

The facts don't matter, where there is a potential for drama/ polarity there is potential for ego-stroking. Drama/ polarity also creates butthurt egos, giving birth to a vicious circle.

Anyone can and at certain points in his life will experience this first-hand (through participation). It's one of those distinctly human experiences.

Because at a lot of places advertising is being passed off as journalism and critique, and people are having enough of it.

They don't feel their views are being represented or even considered by the media, so they broadcast them twice and thrice as loudly.

Without hate there is no love. We love because we hate, we hate because we love, we love to hate and hate to love and hate to hate and love to love.

Also I hate getting confused.

Cynicism is today's romanticism. It's become fashionable to hate and shun, so that is what we do. Besides, uniform positivity is stagnant. I prefer the drama that arises from discord, it sweetens the dullness of my own banal existence. Nice, even tones puts me to sleep, and agreeing to disagree is such a boring way to close. I love a good discussion with clear victors at the end. Personally I take great delight in reading through the archives of a debate where someone manages to decisively undress their foe's argument to the point of someone admitting their own fault and falling on their sword, or buggering out out of cowardice. It's why I get my kicks when I come across sites like this and Plinkett's reviews of the Star Wars and Stark Trek movies, and not watching c-span.

Still, it's not as bad as one might think. Even the most hateful of people get tired over spewing toxic vitriol nonstop, just as an audience gets bored when sharp criticism sets the benchmark for mundane. We've met a balance of constructive deconstruction, where we can thoroughly abuse a subject yet still find time to point out what it did right and what it could do to improve.

It's because hatred bubbles under the surface of LIFE. We have to wear a facade of happiness, sweetness and light all day long, some of us, even when the proper response is to punch and strangle; the stress of doing so gets to run free when we discuss things we hate, because we can lump all our hatreds together.
For instance: can you see, in Duke Nukem Forever, that your hatred of bad gaming ideas like limited weapon inventory and regenerating health, could be joined to your hatred for shallow, misogynistic heroes, and your hatred for re-treading old franchises "for money"? I did. Hate gross-out humor "for the sake"? Hate the idea that pregnancy is some kind of punishment? Me too!
Ahhh...spleen vented, I can go back to acting normal.
[edit: 2nd question answered: yes, we can act sweetness and light, most of the time. I can be, even. I just store negative feelings for rants like that ^^^]]

It's more interesting when people are throwing lumps of shit at each other. And figuratively.

Like I said about an hour earlier:

You see that thing that everyone loves?

Don't you just wanna hate the shit out of it?

Being positive while being all-encompassing and fair is hard. Hell, its half of what makes up many world religions.
At best, you're going to get opinionated analasys or a thoughtful but vapid comments that are hard to comment on or discuss.

People want attention and taking the time to be patient or kind in hopes that someone's going to take notice is simply too much trouble for most.

Love and Hate are very close to each other.

Loving something takes effort. It means to look past something faults or even love them too. More often than not it can't be justified.

Hate is easy. Hate means you can just justify your hate by pointing out obvious flaws.

Besides as someone else here said, Hating a topic or person has become very popular, especially on the internet. Probably stems from the anonymity.

Personally, I'd love to be unable to find things to dislike in [vidya gaems/books/movies]. But then a wild Sturgeon's Law appears.

Because if these forums have proved any one thing to me, it's that saying you like something (unless it's obviously hugely controversial) doesn't last long as a discussion. You will perhaps get some lists of favorites, but not really much, if any discussion.

Controversy by its nature has innate discussion value (or at least interest), but with controversy comes hate; especially for perennial and endless "chestnut topics".

Every topic that I've created that lacked the element of controversy, and approached the subject as neutral research or mere curiousity, died immediately in obscurity.

Conversely, every useless fad topic, Popular-game hate (CoD4.x and ME3 especially), or any such "Vs" topics thrive. It's come to the point where legitimate, rational discussion has become something of a rarity here (or is found in small pockets within other topics).

When you subtract rational, involved discussion from the equation, what you're left with are hate topics.

Captcha: "Kiss me"
How quaint. Don't ever let me make it through a post without feeling like a corporate shill or a total jackass, Captcha, you silly, useless thing.

I was gonna write this long post about the difficulties in interpreting other peoples true intentions through simple impersonal text because a huge part of human interaction is reading body language and how even just hearing another persons voice makes it so much easier to fully understand him. Also how we probably tend to over dramatize what we write to make sure we get our point across.

But I decided against it on the (very) small chance that people would actually start to think that I know what the hell I'm talking about.
Because I don't.
That stuff just popped into my head, I don't know if it's true. I just wrote it down. I can write anything in this box and never think about other people's reactions or how they might be affected by my words.
I've written about my passionate, spiteful hate toward Tidus from FF X when in reality I only generally dislike the character.
Because that's what it is in the end, just black text on a white background. It's just words tossed out into the void.

I can write whatever the hell I want and then forget about in an hour.
Unless someone qoutes me, that makes it a bit harder.

Cause hatings cool bro! I hate everything! (except nutella)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here