The Best FPS Ever . . . so far.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Well, with the news of Halo 4 coming out, and a personal recent obsession with playing Kill Zone 2 and 3, I thought back to how I loved playing Half-life, and Doom before that, and a whole slew of other FPS's. And simply asked myself, what is the best First Person Shooter to ever come out, so far. This question I couldn't decide the answer. Perhaps you can.

It'll be impossible to come to a consensus you realize. Of modern shooters, I really have a hard time picking which one is my favorite, so I'll jump back a generation. Halo 2 is probably the FPS that stuck with me the longest, even though I never owned an Xbox.

Call of Duty 4, at least of the games I've played. Killzone 2 and 3 are good as well, so good taste for you.

Edit: Resistance Fall of Man gets a special mention for having an imaginative setting, bad guys, and weapons.

Impossible to determine. People have their preferences. Besides, the best in what? I love Half-Life and HL2 but they wouldn't be my pick them over Unreal Tournament when it comes to multiplayer experience. Weapons, story, characters, freedom - what exactly should we judge a game on?

I would probably have to say Half-Life 2, Timesplitters: Future Perfect and Bioshock.

I find mainstream military shooters boring and laughable after playing this.

Doom/Doom II. Even after nearly 20 years no other FPS delivers the kind of fast paced run and gun action that Doom does to perfection, and given the way the genre has evolved it's doubtful any ever will.

If I were to pick a more recent title (relatively), then STALKER: SoC.

Halo: Combat Evolved. At least it's my personal favorite.

Sure, I've got plenty of games that I like more than Halo: CE. Hell, I've got FPSs that I objectively like more that Halo: CE (Bioshock, for instance). But subjectively? Halo was what got my impressionable young self back into serious gaming. I'd play multiplayer with my older brother's friends (since I was an 11-year-old girl and none of my friends were interested in gaming at all), play through the campaign mode... later, I'd go to LAN parties with friends... and, overall, I was immersed. It's definitely the FPS experience that's stuck with me the most. And, hell, it spawned a huge franchise. It must have done something right, hm?

Borderlands - Why? Well simply put it's just the most fun to pick up and play. It's got a seemingly timeless artstyle and great sense of humour. The Diablo style item system provides great incentive to keep coming back.

Half-life 2 being the runner-up.

Resistance Fall of Man, COD:MW1 and GoldenEye get a special mention.

My favourite FPS games are Half Life 2 and the Serious Sam series

CoD 4 and CSS are the best, there isn't really much debate over that, I think. Best third person? Transformers War for Cybertron, followed by Gears of War 1.

My favorites? I really liked the first and second Turok. Crysis 2 was awesome. I know some people gripe on it, but I thought it was cool. Hmm, what else? Left 4 Dead is cool, and I really like Halo Reach, though I don't really like the other Halo's for some reason.

Half-Life 2 + Episodes (because I can never decide if I like Episode 2 more or as much as HL2).

(Since it's bound to come up a lot...) I find CoD 4 pretty insipid. I do rate the original pretty highly, though (because Hipster, obviously).

Well that depends. Single-player or Multi-player (or overall)?

Single-player: Probably the Half-Life series. It's rare that I play any game more than once but I've played through HL 1 - HL Episode 2 twice through. SWAT 4 would be a very close second...actually, scratch that. SWAT 4 is the best!

Multi-player: Call of Duty: MW3. I like the new system that they have with kill-streaks and it's what my buddies play.

Overall: Call of Duty: MW3 still. I've sunk the most time into it (and BloPs before that...and MW2 before that...and World at War before that...and so on). It will probably continue this way until my buddies decide to play something else, since they're kind of the only reason I play these games.

Every FPS I play these days I always feel like there's somethingwrong with it. Either some of the guns don't work, or the game is heavily in favour of one play style or whatever.
The only FPS where I can't remember this being the case is Unreal Tournament 2004, I only remember it being really, REALLY fun.

That's easy. Timesplitters: Future Perfect. It has an incredibly fun multiplayer and singleplayer, co-op, incredibly fun (and some very challenging) challenge modes and leagues, a large variety of weapons and characters and great humour.

If Crytek UK do decide to do Timesplitters 4 and they make it like Call of Duty I destroy them and devour their souls! Or just go into a corner with some cookie dough ice cream and cry manly tears.

Anthraxus:

This man is correct. For a more up to date game (in regards to graphics and military technology) ArmA2: Combined Arms is a good alternative, but the overall feel is nowhere near as good as this blocky masterpiece from 2001.

Timesplitters 2/Future Perfect

The games are pure, condensed fun. Out of the two I'd pick Timesplitters 2, but that's personal preference. Both are the best ever in my eyes.

TF2 there's a reason I've put over 1100 hours on it.Single player would go to Bioshock or Halflife.

Unreal Tournament, simply because it can be almost anything you want it to be through modded content which you can get by the freaking truckload for UT/UT2004. A lot of other shooters are also pretty darn good but since UT can just copy anything into itself, it kinda makes everything obsolete.

Deus ex for single player
Timesplitters 2 for multi.
special mention to perfect dark

The Best will never be decided or at least, we'll never come to a consensus (said the first person to respond on this thread). So I can only really talk about my favorite which is Duke Nukem 3D/64. I've clocked more hours in with this one than any other FPS. It had a great, long and, varied campaign. It had sweet multiplayer (I preferred it over Goldeneye) and, most importantly was the fact that it had bot-matches. If TF2 had bot matches on the console version I would have probably listed that one but no. Gotta bet on Duke here.

Honorable mentions go to Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo Reach, Turok the Dinosaur Hunter, Painkiller Half-Life 2 and, Team Fortress 2.

off-topic question: how do Manhattan Project and Zero Hour stack up? I haven't really played either but am deeply curious.

Sixcess:
Doom/Doom II. Even after nearly 20 years no other FPS delivers the kind of fast paced run and gun action that Doom does to perfection, and given the way the genre has evolved it's doubtful any ever will.

I don't think another game will have the same impact, but a little return to form could be welcome. If Serious Sam 3 can exist, why not a game with actual levels/traps/doors and cleverly placed enemies instead of 'waves'.

Why can't I get a third Doom game? :(

Besides, who could make it?

Single Player Gameplay:
Half Life 2
Runner Up:
Halo CE

Single Player Plot:
Bioshock
Runner Up:
Halo CE and Half Life 2

"Realistic" Multiplayer: (Not simulation-esque realism like ArmA)
Battlefield 3
Runner Up:
CoD MW3

Suspension of Disbelief Multiplayer:
Halo 3
Runner Up:
Team Fortress 2

We really need some good plot based shooters, but no one cares anymore.

EDIT:

zombieshark6666:
I don't think another game will have the same impact, but a little return to form could be welcome. If Serious Sam 3 can exist, why not a game with actual levels/traps/doors and cleverly placed enemies instead of 'waves'.

What about Doom III by Id? :P

Hmmmm if by this can bow and crossbow count? (And with mods, and napoleonic wars, the muskets and revolvers?)

If so, I would say Mount and blade has best. It's perfect in every way. bullets start dropping, they are powerful but not overpowered (basically, ya know, that word "balanced") etc etc.

TomLikesGuitar:
"Realistic" Multiplayer:

I think you mean "modern setting" because realism and BF/CoD in the same sentence does not compute.

Realism does not imply simulation, but when shotgun pellets simply cease to exist after 10m all bets are off.

Anthraxus:

I find it funny that realistic games used to be mainstream. Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, SWAT, etc... Not the watered down versions we get today (looking at RS: Vegas 2).

how is tf2 not on every comment?

Perfect dark . So much to do . So much fun . Didn't take itself too seriously . A lot of freedom . And laptop gun .

Honerable mention goes to Golden eye 007 , which made Perfect dark possible and for having paved the way for console FPS.

But this is from a console players view point of course, i cannot refute the influence Doom has had for the genre on a whole .

AmrasCalmacil:

Anthraxus:

This man is correct. For a more up to date game (in regards to graphics and military technology) ArmA2: Combined Arms is a good alternative, but the overall feel is nowhere near as good as this blocky masterpiece from 2001.

Mainly Arma 2's single player can't compare to OFP's legendary campaign.

TomLikesGuitar:

zombieshark6666:

What about Doom III by Id? :P

Doom 3 was a good game, but it was survival horror more than all out action, so it wasn't really Doom.

Id are working on Doom 4, and have said that they want it to be more like the first two than the third. But with not so much as a single screenshot to go by as yet only time will tell.

For Story/Single Player
Halo CE, I sank DAYS into that game when it came out.

Half-life, sadly I only managed to play that brilliant game last year. It was a pleasant surprise mixing the challenge of an ordinary FPS with puzzles, horror/thrills and SCIENCE!

For multiplayer
Call of Duty: World at War. Myself and 2 of my friends where an unstopable force on that game, last true CoD game in my opinion. Teamwork really counted. Now in CoD, you can do just as well on your own with all the perks and stuff they introduced making each soldier a one man army.

And Battlefield: badcompany 2
I didnt have as much fun on this since I only got to play this with friend rarely. But makes up in the teamwork department what recent CoD games have lacked.

Overall Best FPS
Timesplitters Future Perfect. I still play that alot, has stood the test of time quite brilliantly.

Single player, challenging, balanced, funny. It lacks nothing except a jump button. The singleplayer challenges are great little distractions once you finish the story.

Multiplayer, tons of characters to play as. Fully customisable weapon sets and bots. Since Original Xbox live has died and many great multiplayer games along with it, the fact that it has AI bots that are not completely stupid and are actually fun to play against makes up for that. The tournement mode offeres a real challenge when you try to get Gold medels on everything!

And finally the mapmaker, While fairly simple at heart, the ability to make indepth story missions and wild multiplayer maps allows you to add so much content to the experence!

Mmm...
The best ever? Not sure... Crysis 2? Nah just kiddin' /flameshield.

Well my FAVORITE FPS that I can think off the top of my head is Halo 3, though I'm sure I'll think of something else in a few minutes.

Mine would definitely be Team Fortress 2. (whenever I can play the game without any lag that is)

Shoggoth2588:
off-topic question: how do Manhattan Project and Zero Hour stack up? I haven't really played either but am deeply curious.

I've never played Manhattan Project, but I played a lot of Zero Hour back in the day. It's definitely not better than Duke Nukem 3D, but I thought it was a worthy spin-off.

Anywho... on-topic...

My absolute favorite FPS games are the original Deus Ex and System Shock 2. But since I'm guessing this topic is more about "pure" FPS games... I dunno. For me, it'd probably be a toss-up between...

Duke Nukem 3D
Quake II
Half-Life
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Perfect Dark 64
Halo: Combat Evolved
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Which one I'd choose would depend on my mood and what I'm most nostalgic for at the time.

Amusingly enough I already did a thread like this a while ago. Though I didn't get as many posts. I'm still looking for my great FPS. Granted I don't care about multiplayer one but so there's a lot of games I won't play like TF2 or CS:S.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked