Do you think you will ever stop playing video Games?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

I was thinking about this the other day, will I ever "outgrow" video games. I wonder if I will still be playing games in later life or will my job consume me.

But I think it unlikely that I will give up video games, or at least I hope so. I want to be playing video games in my nursing home. I want to be able to say in a croaky voice "BLOODY GODDAMN MOTION CONTROLS, in my day you could just press a button to blow somethings head off" you know that sort of thing.

Oh and watch this Deus Ex fans
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y414Q7vVgYU

Yes . Well no no technically . But once games become Digital download only i will stop buying new games . That being said , i understand why DD is the next logical step and why people like it . But i for one love having physical copies of my games . When that is no longer possible then and only then will i quit . But not entirely ,more like i'll retreat to retro gaming . I'll buy games for previous generation , and replay all 300 sum games i currently own .

I dont think so. Too much love for games from me.

You never know. I more or less did give up video games between about 2003 and 2008 - the PS2 sequel to Fear Effect got cancelled, which killed any interest I had in the console for good, and though I had an XBox it never clicked with me the way the PS1 had. Getting a PC that ran current gen titles in 2008 revived my interest, even if I sometimes feel a little out of step with the directions gaming seems to be drifting in.

When all games are total horse manure, that's when I'll stop playing. In fact if all games went full motion control I'd jack gaming in.

I will never outgrow video games; it's been part of my life for years. However, I'm starting to get sore thumbs and limp wrists.

If playing video games ever reaches a point where it physically hurts me, I may be forced to hang it up.

.......Unless I get cybernetic implants.

Probably not, unless SkyNet takes over the world or the zombie apocalypse breaks out. At that point I'll have to amuse myself with cards, boards, and dice.

I don't think I will ever stop, I love them too much, they have always been a part of my life.

Occasionally I still play games just to waste time. Used to do that a lot, but nowadays I have precious little time to waste. There are still games that I play simply because I think they're good. Like a book you can't put down these games simply demand to be played without stopping until they're over(games like skyrim, DE:HR or ME). But once they're over I usually won't touch them again for some time.

I expect I won't be playing games as a way to waste time (except probably for holidays) but I don't think I will ever stop playing for fun. Then again I don't own a television and don't like to waste time channel surfing, so maybe playing games (and browsing the web and listening to music) just replaces it for me.

Probably not. I've played games since I was two years old and I've only been getting more and more into them over the years.

krazykidd:
Yes . Well no no technically . But once games become Digital download only i will stop buying new games . That being said , i understand why DD is the next logical step and why people like it . But i for one love having physical copies of my games . When that is no longer possible then and only then will i quit . But not entirely ,more like i'll retreat to retro gaming . I'll buy games for previous generation , and replay all 300 sum games i currently own .

I know what you mean I dread digital downloads, nothing can beat a hard physical copy. What if your memory unit gets lost or your data gets wiped? All that money you spent on games pissed down the toilet, that and it will be much easier for developers to take the piss if everything goes digital.

It's really hard to say. Back in the day, I played a bit more. And by "a bit more" I mean a hell of a bloody lot. Ever since I started Uni my play time shrunk significantly. And even when I have the time for playing I just plainly don't game as much as before. I don't think I am going to stop soon but I can't guarantee "ever". I don't want to but it's not up to me...sort of.

Never!

Gaming is my hobby, my method of escaping the crappyness of my life.

If anything my enjoyment, my consumption of games has only increased over the last 5 years

I really doubt it. I realised the other day that I was completely addicted to video games. I realised this when I was playing even after I developed blisters on my thumbs. If physical pain doesn't prevent me from gaming, then I doubt time will.

Well, I suppose I could go blind one day, or lose my hands in an accident, or some cosmic event could destroy te world's power grid.

Simply outgrow? I'll admit full motion control would probably do it. I learned to accept the digital thing, but a whole new control scheme....

Nope, I will be an old man in a nursing home with a Xbox 2880 pwning noobs in Battlefield 43. :P

I can actually see it happening. I can definitely see myself not getting into the next generation, and just sticking with older games, and then maybe letting it die off from there. Maybe not, it'll probably be a hobby of mine in some form or other for a while. I do enjoy them after all.

Only when I'm dead.

Also that video has inspired me to dance.

nope.

10...maybe 15 years ago i could curb my video games with books, but for the past 5-8 years i have been having a hard time finding a series to get into for books.

and now with the advances made in the past 10-15 years in both graphics, characters, and stories it is harder to justify replacing video games with books.

I don't think so. I think my fiancÚ and I will continue to play games together until we're very old. :P Gaming is something that brought us together and we plan to incorporate it into our lives. Our children and children's children will be playing video games with us! lol.

Sure I will.

When I'm dea-

Aerosteam 1908:
Only when I'm dead.

Also that video has inspired me to dance.

...damn you.

If I ever do then I wont lose any sleep over it because I wouldnt stop unless I wanted to

whenever they say "youll grow out of it" its nothing to fuss over, because you wont be forced to stop when you still want to keep going YOU'LL be the one to stop

For as long as I can keep my consoles in a state that they can play games and, those games themselves are in a playable state, I shall play. Once I die I guess I'll have finally finished. If there is a Heaven then I will continue on into eternity. If there is a Hell then I will continue on into eternity only the power will go out constantly and, the memory cards will need to be re-formatted every single time (except of course those few when I know I'm about to beat whatever game only to have to reformat and start again from the very beginning)

Not only don't I see myself stopping, but with a little girl on the way I get to educate my kid in gaming.

No, I'm not going to stop. My plan to keep my brain and body from falling apart when I'm oooold and wrinkly is to play. By then there'll surely be some cool virtual reality motion control adventure puzzle stuff to keep me going. It'll be awesome.

Well, I'll never stop playing the games of past and present that I enjoy. Future is another thing entirely though. It seems gaming is becoming more and more digitally focused, and if it gets to a point where it is completely digital, I will stop. Of course, I'd just replay older games so it's not like I'll ever give it up completely.

krazykidd:

Yes, so do I. I refuse to buy console games that are not sold as physical copies and I will also retreat to older gen/retro games. I'm actually doing some of that retro gaming now, since at the moment, I am unable to really spend on new games.

Has already happened for me. I am 30 years old, married, 2 kids(with another planned), and a "career". Mass Effect 3 was to be the last big game for me, and that was only because it was the end of the series. I just don't have the time anymore.

I still play some games, but mostly cheap and short indie titles. Oh, and I got married, had the kids, and started my career Since I played the first Mass Effect, so it was kinda special for me. I didn't let the ending ruin it for me, and appreciated the time I had with the ME universe.

From "Alley Cat" in the 1980s to "Mass Effect 3" in the 2010s. It's been a blast.

I dont think I will ever stop playing games, but I may have to drift away from the increasingly bitchy and unpleasable community at some point.

Getting too old to argue and the blood pressure is high, its not good for your health.

More seriously, if I start having kids, I would probably spend more time with them and a little less on gaming. I would probably sneak in some time to play games when they are napping or in the early morning, since I'm an early riser.

I don't think so, for me that's like asking if I'd ever stop reading books or watching movies. It's just something I've always done and I don't see myself stopping.

ive been playing games since i was 4. halo was my first game. i will never stop. they are a part of my routine. get home, play for an hour or two, get to work again. people can call me a loser all they want. they can go clubbing, but i will be at home hanging with friends, drinking a brew, and kicking ass. its also the hub my friends collect round. i have made so many friends with a late night halo LAN match, or a left 4 dead marathon. it is, quite simply, the most relaxing thing i do all day.

in a word...

That said, I have been in the position of being unable to play video games for years at a time. Twice, actually... both times were work related.
I came right back when I had the time, though.

I doubt I'll ever give up on new games completely, either, even though at this point most of what I play would be considered retro gaming.

I doubt it. I'll have to cut back on the amount of gaming I do eventually but I don't plan on dropping it as a whole.

I hope not. Scared to start a family b/c of that question.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked