Let's do the Mash! I said the MONSTER MASH!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

:P Think I've finally come up with a topic that has yet to be posted!------*he says fully expecting a link to the exact same topic posted 2 days ago to get posted in the first couple responses*

Lets give some love to all the various monsters out there. No bosses allowed, just the little bastards that make up all the assorted cannon fodder for various games.

So it's a simple question my friends, what are some of your favorite standard monsters in the gaming world?

For instance, I've always liked the standard bone-throwing skeletons that fill Castlevania games. Why do I love these little buggers so much? Because as a kid playing some of the earlier CV games with my older brother, we'd always call those guys Boners...because...you know...they threw bones at you! :P

Let's have some love for the Prinnies, Dood!
They are a protagonist in a couple of games, but in the main series they're just random mods.

Definitely Whomp:
Look at this guy! That is the face of a champion. I find it weird how thwomps have been around forever but whomp just came out of nowhere and has only appeared in a few games, not even being recognised in most of them at all.

This is a very silly topic... I aprove!

Slimes.
From the smiley face buggers in jrpgs that you see when you first leave a town to those really annoying ones in D&D games that split into two when you cut them. Slimes are so ubiquitious that I feel comfortable when I see them and feel bad when I don't see them. Really Skyrim?! Not one slime!!

Rabites!

I mean, look at its wittle face and puffy tail-thing

Did someone say...

Time to chop 'im up and make some armour out of his arse :D

hazabaza1:
Let's have some love for the Prinnies, Dood!
They are a protagonist in a couple of games, but in the main series they're just random mods.

:P Indeed, you gotta love those crazy kamikazi penguins.

burningdragoon:
Rabites!

I mean, look at its wittle face and puffy tail-thing

And yet surprisingly vicious, especially the pink ones!

SURPRISE!!!

This thing wrecks your shit at least once in every game it's in. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

I prefer mine pocket portable.

Swyftstar:
This is a very silly topic... I aprove!

Slimes.
From the smiley face buggers in jrpgs that you see when you first leave a town to those really annoying ones in D&D games that split into two when you cut them. Slimes are so ubiquitious that I feel comfortable when I see them and feel bad when I don't see them. Really Skyrim?! Not one slime!!

Lets not forget the gelatinous cubes in baldurs gate :P Those things steal your stuff!

That reminds me:

Zerg rush!!!

HISssshhsk!!!

Was it a graveyard smash?

Anyway moving on, we all know who the real monster is ... Mario the way he goes around oppressing the weak goomba's, jumping on them so hard that their spines compress like spings, not to mention his animal and plant problem just how many turtles and venus flytraps does that man intend to kill??

Maybe they count more as henchman than monsters, but I love, love, fucking LOVE outsmarting those Overwatch Soldiers in HL.

Hell, there's a lot of great monsters in Half Life. Headcrabs, Antlions, Advisors, Striders, Bullsquids, Houndeyes, Hunters, Ichthyosaurs, Controllers...

Geemers/Zoomers from Metroid. Spiky literal cannon fodder and oddly endearing.

I'm gonna throw out some love to the minions in the overlord games, those little blighters are pretty cool.

Also, I'm gonna nab a mention for the funny little shitty grunts from Halo with their comedy voices and their terrible morale. Not to say they never catch you out with damned flukey sticky grenade throws. Blighters.

Daystar Clarion:
Did someone say...

Time to chop 'im up and make some armour out of his arse :D

Ah... had some good times chopping up that fella.

These little guys. I feel so bad for slaughtering so many when I was younger. And they seemed so happy till I hurt them :(

him over there:
Definitely Whomp:

Pretty sure that would have given me nightmares as a kid....

Humans, always meh, until they let me DM. Good fun rolling new characters later.

Simple but elegant, and the definition of useless yet an integral part of the world.
The first monster most gamers ever saw.
also literal monster mash for these guys.

Captcha: Hit the Hay
Good advice. Thanks for reminding me of my basic bodily functions Captcha; what would I do without you.

May I present:

The Baneling!

How can you simply not want to cuddle that adorable ball of acid?

That's right. I went there.
Look I had to pick one thing, or I'd be here all day posting random cool monsters. Why not everyone's favourite enemy?

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the cutest little hell spawn ever to grace the FPS

captcha: Give or Take

I'm Afraid we're going to have to disagree on that.

I have a special place in my heart for the little guys here...like Tonberry and, Cactar!

I love those guys so much! They're adorable and, deadly at the same time. They also have a bigger boss-type version of themselves that are generally optional fights. Well maybe not generally but in VIII...

Keeping with Castlevania for now...how about the ever-lovely Venus Weed?

brunothepig:

That's right. I went there.
Look I had to pick one thing, or I'd be here all day posting random cool monsters. Why not everyone's favourite enemy?

Gah! Bloody things...

OT: The Shotgun grunts from Doom and Doom 2 deserve a mention I reckon. Slow moving, low hp, and basically just extra shotgun ammo on legs. Gawd bless their damned souls.

Malachi from dawn of sorrow.

What? He is mini cthulhu :3

No love for the grue?

It caught on in a flash!

Minecraft Zombies FTW. For that matter, Stubbs the Zombie FTW. Rare are the games that allow you to play *as* a flesh-eating monstrosity and that do so while maintaining a sense of humor.

The face of a champion, ladies and gents.

Oh! Oh! The first monster ever encountered in Final Fantasy!

Good ol' lovable imps!

RJ 17:
:P Think I've finally come up with a topic that has yet to be posted!------*he says fully expecting a link to the exact same topic posted 2 days ago to get posted in the first couple responses*

Lets give some love to all the various monsters out there. No bosses allowed, just the little bastards that make up all the assorted cannon fodder for various games.

So it's a simple question my friends, what are some of your favorite standard monsters in the gaming world?

For instance, I've always liked the standard bone-throwing skeletons that fill Castlevania games. Why do I love these little buggers so much? Because as a kid playing some of the earlier CV games with my older brother, we'd always call those guys Boners...because...you know...they threw bones at you! :P

This is currently my new favorite topic.

Behold! The monster! To which I give credit for influencing my Escapist name!

What can I say. It's pink!

God I hate these fuckers...

just doing their jobs!

(oh and they always carry cash!)

putowtin:

just doing their jobs!

(oh and they always carry cash!)

xD The Draugerrerrgrgrrerurrrs! :P yeah, I always found it odd that walking corpses often had more money on them than bandits...especially the ones that are officially dead-dead just laying peacefully in their cubby-holes.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked