Horibble Ports for PC

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

SomebodyNowhere:
I hate games that basically require you to get a controller for your PC just so you can play them.

Most PC gamers have gamepads because not all games are suited with Mouse and Keyboard, for example Super Meat Boy, it basically tells you at the start of the game that it will suck on the mouse and keyboard, and also Shank I played that with a gamepad aswell. Getting a gamepad opens a wide catelogue of games that are way more fun with a gamepad than a Mouse and Keyboard. Games designed for controllers can't always work with the PC M&KB.

Im putting in Lord of the Rings: War in the North. Since release its crashes when theres alot of particle effects going on, or when theres more than a dozen enemies on screen, or when you try to walk to a certain place, or just when it feels like it.

Yet surprisingly the controls were pretty decent.

ZombieGenesis:
DMC3 on the PC is supposed to be an excellent translation

Sorry, but where did you hear that?

The only reason anyone bought the PC version of DMC3 was because available on Steam while the PS2 versions were fairly hard to come by.

Rednog:
Resident Evil 5, the quick time event buttons are absolutely random as hell (like e + v) and parts where you have to mash the buttons for extended periods are not good for any mechanical keyboard.

Oh god, the el gigante fight in the jeep.

That was...

That was so horrible...

StuBBZZ:

SomebodyNowhere:
I hate games that basically require you to get a controller for your PC just so you can play them.

Most PC gamers have gamepads because not all games are suited with Mouse and Keyboard, for example Super Meat Boy, it basically tells you at the start of the game that it will suck on the mouse and keyboard, and also Shank I played that with a gamepad aswell. Getting a gamepad opens a wide catelogue of games that are way more fun with a gamepad than a Mouse and Keyboard. Games designed for controllers can't always work with the PC M&KB.

I get that some games are basically meant to be played with a controller(in the same way many flight games are far easier to handle with a joystick), it's just annoying how poorly the keyboard and mouse configuration is implemented as a supposed alternative.

Dark Souls.

Just you wait....

josemlopes:
Saints Row 2... Yeah, thats a hard one to beat.

BAM

craftomega:

josemlopes:

You know alot of people conplain but I never had an issue... I guess I was just lucky.

Me neither. I think it may have gotten better after they added all the patches. Having to use [shift] and <control> to go through menus was annoying, but the game itself didn't give me any trouble.

Would like to have words with whoever did the resolution programming for Silent Hill 4, though...

The Resident Evil 4 port didn't have mouse support. That's just a taste of that game's issues on the PC.

Good god that one was bad.

StuBBZZ:

SomebodyNowhere:

I don't know about most... I certainly don't. And hey, I beat Super Meat Boy. Never really had an issue with the controls for M&K.

Never had issues with Saints Row 2, although that is an infamous one. Just got lucky I guess, it crashed once or twice but that's hardly a unique issue.

teh_Canape:

josemlopes:

BAM

I have heard terrible, terrible things about that port. Which is sad cause it's a fantastic game. But worst port in my personal experience is probably GTA: SA. Luckily not bought, played a friends copy. Awful.

distortedreality:
Surprised GTA4 hasn't been mentioned yet. I personally never had any issues with it, but there was so much rage at release, it was pretty freakin nuts.

My friend with a very powerful PC at the time (and still a powerhouse) could run it smoothly... on Medium.

I could MAYBE run it on Low. Or Very Low. And still 20 FPS at most. Glad I borrowed it from him before buying...

I loved GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas and the 2D ones. This piece of shit I hate.

Surprised by people saying Assassin's Creed or Bethesda games. We have mods and we can change our textures, for crying out loud. And AC was a very good port, especially the sequels. First one was the first game that didn't run on my Athlon 3000 and required me to buy a dual core CPU, but that was pretty much expected.

SomebodyNowhere:
Before playing that my choice for worst would have to go to The Last Remnant. I played the demo and it was nearly unplayable with a mouse and keyboard.

I looked at the mouse and keyboard bindings for that, and they gave me a headache. Looking at them in the manual next to the gamepad controls really makes you wonder what the hell they were thinking. The weird thing is that it plays great on the PC with a 360 controller, and the PC version is a much better game than the console version of the game, significantly overhauled with much better performance and a lot of gameplay improvements. It's a pretty good game if you're into that sort of thing, but the 360 version is horribly broken because it was obviously released before it was finished and has terrible framerate problems (among other things), and the PC version is almost unplayable without a controller. And they wonder why it didn't sell very well...

brunothepig:
I have heard terrible, terrible things about that port. Which is sad cause it's a fantastic game. But worst port in my personal experience is probably GTA: SA. Luckily not bought, played a friends copy. Awful.

it truly is
the controls out-of-the-box are utterly, not only bullshit, but incredibly cryptic
it's like, it's mapped to a PS2 gamepad, but uses the keyboard only
I heard MGS2 did the same, but haven't played it

The ridiculously slow mouse speed makes Dead Space practicably unplayable.
It doesn't like my gamepad either, so it has to sit on my shelf until i have time to fix
the issue manually.

I only really had one big issue with the Saint's Row 2 port and it was more funny than anything. Often times in cut scenes, a character would grab something but it would never be in their hand. It would, however, still move around.

Binary Domain

Uninstalled it within 5 minutes. :/

Bobic:

Vuliev:
Normally I'd offer something that was just poorly optimized (ME1, AC2/Revelations), but Dark Void takes the cake for me. Everything is (more or less) fine until you hit the section where you have to take out a bunch of the alien fighter things in extended flight combat. For whatever asstarded reason, the mouse acts like a joystick (movement is tracked as displacement from a central position as opposed to the standard of registering mouse velocity), so it's literally impossible to progress past that point.

I think you may need to look up the definition of 'literally impossible', it's merely slightly awkward to get past that point.

I'm being perfectly serious when I say it was literally impossible for me to beat it with a mouse. I spent ~4 hours on that part, and only once did I manage to drop two of the alien ships before I died--that's far more than "slightly awkward." If you don't believe me, please find a copy of the PC port, then play it with a mouse. If you're able to get past that part under those constraints, then either you can do some crazy shit with your mouse that I can't/don't know how to do, or you have the patience of a god.

Now that I think about it, I should also mention that the displacement tracking was also affected by the DPI of my mouse (in that either it was too high to find the exact point needed to maintain straight flight, or only enabled me to make very shallow turns), and changing the sensitivity in the game itself only made the control worse.

Vuliev:

Bobic:

Vuliev:
Normally I'd offer something that was just poorly optimized (ME1, AC2/Revelations), but Dark Void takes the cake for me. Everything is (more or less) fine until you hit the section where you have to take out a bunch of the alien fighter things in extended flight combat. For whatever asstarded reason, the mouse acts like a joystick (movement is tracked as displacement from a central position as opposed to the standard of registering mouse velocity), so it's literally impossible to progress past that point.

I think you may need to look up the definition of 'literally impossible', it's merely slightly awkward to get past that point.

I'm being perfectly serious when I say it was literally impossible for me to beat it with a mouse. I spent ~4 hours on that part, and only once did I manage to drop two of the alien ships before I died--that's far more than "slightly awkward." If you don't believe me, please find a copy of the PC port, then play it with a mouse. If you're able to get past that part under those constraints, then either you can do some crazy shit with your mouse that I can't/don't know how to do, or you have the patience of a god.

Now that I think about it, I should also mention that the displacement tracking was also affected by the DPI of my mouse (in that either it was too high to find the exact point needed to maintain straight flight, or only enabled me to make very shallow turns), and changing the sensitivity in the game itself only made the control worse.

I wasn't being a complete dolt. I have played it on PC. With a mouse. The jetpack flight took a bit of getting used to at first, yeah, but I got through the jetpacky parts well enough. It only took me 7 hours all in all to complete the game, but I'm happy for you to praise my godly patience/mouse control.

Now the chopper controls on GTA4, they were awkward. . .

We talk way too much about PC gaming around here, I swear.

Anyway, Sonic Adventure DX for Steam is a horrible, terrible port. SEGA need to patch it ASAP.

Final Fantasy VII was a terrible port to the PC. There were plans around 2010 to fix it up and re-release it on Steam. Sadly, the project was dropped. How silly of Square. As if they can't spare the work to do something easy that would obviously end in profit.

craftomega:
I would like to start with a relatively new game called "Binary Domain"

An update was released for it at 11:30 eastern that fixes the menu controls and mouse controls as well as FoV and screen size.

josemlopes:

yep
driving faster then the rendering and my god did those cars handle baddly

LilithSlave:
We talk way too much about PC gaming around here, I swear.

Anyway, Sonic Adventure DX for Steam is a horrible, terrible port. SEGA need to patch it ASAP.

Final Fantasy VII was a terrible port to the PC. There were plans around 2010 to fix it up and re-release it on Steam. Sadly, the project was dropped. How silly of Square. As if they can't spare the work to do something easy that would obviously end in profit.

God forbid a gaming website most access using their PC talk about PC gaming...

OT: Prototype, I managed to walk forward 50 metres before giving up on it. ME2 and ME3 look silly compared to how well ported ME1 was. I've only been a PC gamer for a year, so I've avoided most bad ports.

Worst port I've ever played was GTA IV. Horrible optimization for the PC, my current hardware can barely play it at max detail, but I can play Battlefield 3 on max settings just fine. Considering the Xbox is far inferior in terms of hardware, and that no other multiplatform/ported game I've ever played was anywhere near as bad, GTA IV takes the cake.

Gotta say though that I haven't played many ported games, so I have few terms for comparison.

craftomega:
Greetings and salutation my fellow escapists.

Today let's talk about the worst ports in gaming history. I would like to start with a relatively new game called "Binary Domain"
-This game uses a voice command system, that doesn't work, to talk to your allies and make choices.
-It uses 360 control buttons images for in game tutorials.
-It uses non-standard default controls, F is back and sprint, shift is turn left (wtf?), enter is menu... Which works great with the 360 images and a keyboard.
-The third person controls do not work well for a mouse since so aiming is annoying.

The list goes on... But enough of that have you played any really, really bad ports?

As someone else said, the config tool allows you to change the in-game tutorial image things and re-bind the keys. However, the mouse aiming is absolutely terrible, and for that reason alone I elect to just use my PS3 controller when I'm playing it anyway. Honorable mention also goes to the first Dead Space which has such a ridiculously low mouse-sensitivity that you practically can't turn unless you fling the mouse halfway across the room.

For my own money, I'll add the only game series I've ever had to use my PS3 controller to play on the PC: Assassin's Creed. Now, I played the majority of the first one on Keyboard+Mouse, and it was confusing any time I'd take a break for a week or two and come back trying to remember what the stupid combinations were to sprint. As soon as I started using a controller, it was so much better and I didn't even bother trying to use keyboard+mouse for 2/Brotherhood.

I don't really feel that does justice to the point of the thread though. A truly bad port would be nigh unplayable, something akin to Saints Row 2 or countless Grand Theft Auto titles (which is why I always find it amusing that PC gamers constantly ask for Red Dead Redemption on PC. Rockstar doesn't exactly have the best track record for porting.)

I'm going to flip this around a little and talk about some titles that I believe are better on the PC than their console counterparts though:
Dragon Age: Origins. This is probably obvious to anyone who's played the game, but even though it was pretty decently ported to the consoles to allow for the numerous skills and talents there are in the game, everything about it is so much better on the PC.

Crysis 2. Oh, whine, whine, bitch, bitch, "consolized piece of garbage", get it out of your system. Yeah, the PC control scheme was tweaked away from the controls in the first Crysis, but who the hell used those stupid lean buttons anyway? And they kept the pop-up menu too. Changing how the functions of the suit works has nothing to do with it being on consoles. Er, that's off-topic. Anyway, Crysis 2 struggled on the consoles because it was trying to do too much, so they needed to sacrifice a fair amount. On the PC however, it shines in all of its glorious splendor, and with far less input lag.

Mass Effect. Sure, they've tripped and stumbled with how the hotkeys work (I don't understand why they completely removed the character/codex page shortcuts in ME3) but, much like Dragon Age, combat moves much smoother when you don't need to pause the game for five seconds every time you want to select an ability or use one that isn't set up to the little shortcut controller triggers.

Batman: Arkham Asylum/City. As smooth and fluid as they made the combat system on the consoles, running at 60 FPS is a godsend for the brawling system. And all of the different gadgets you can use mid-fight were pretty convoluted on the controller scheme too, so it's not really any worse on the PC.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. On the console, it's hard to control the camera while you're in combat and the sound design (was at least) very buggy, often not being synchronized with what was actually currently occurring on the screen. On the PC, none of those sound bugs were present even on day one, and boy do I love me some easily-controllable camera.

Resident Evil 4 - no mouse control; terrible, unchangeable (without a mod) graphics

Dead Space - horribly slow mouse response makes it horribly difficult to play

Mass Effect 3 - spacebar does everything, can't change graphics settings

Fifa 12 (most EA sports games in general, but fifa was most recent one) all the the buttons are based on what the xbox button is, so in the tutorial it will say something like (press x to pass) and pass will actually be mapped to control. that ones by far the worst just because I couldn't even make it past the tutorial without having to exit out, go to settings, go to map controls. Was it really that hard to make it correspond with the keyboard?

Haven't played saints row 2 because I heard it was shite on pc, same with dark void (although i heard that was just shite overall)

Zipa:
The original prototype. It played and still does play awfully. Its pretty clear no effort was made on optimization.

Richardplex:

OT: Prototype, I managed to walk forward 50 metres before giving up on it.

Huh? What's wrong? I don't have any lag, the controls are easy... I'm confuzzled.

Transformers War for Cybertron while not a bad port controls or stability wise it is very poor optimised and is the one game that I can't play on my laptop. Exmaples that will play with just below acceptable frames would be Skyrim and I tried BO on it to see how well it could run it.

Easton Dark:

Zipa:
The original prototype. It played and still does play awfully. Its pretty clear no effort was made on optimization.

Richardplex:

OT: Prototype, I managed to walk forward 50 metres before giving up on it.

Huh? What's wrong? I don't have any lag, the controls are easy... I'm confuzzled.

I have like 15 frames per second, and my PC can play Witcher 2 on high. Not to mention that I shouldn't have to change my sound settings because the game operates at a bad frequency (and it seemed to be a prevalent problem). I haven't tried it since I switched graphic cards though to be fair, but I don't really want to.

The only game I've seen that is absolutely unplayable on the PC was the MGS2 port. There were missing textures and everything. It felt like an alpha, or a bad emulator.

Signa:
The only game I've seen that is absolutely unplayable on the PC was the MGS2 port. There were missing textures and everything. It felt like an alpha, or a bad emulator.

Exactly what I was going to say, the piss poor frame-rate on what was decent hardware at the time really annoyed me but not as much as crashing to desktop/BSOD each time I quit the game.

MGS1 on the other hand, that was an excellent port.

josemlopes:

I'm playing that right now and I don't know if it's just my old keyboard or I need a patch but when I'm driving, the game tends to just stop the vehicle all of a sudden and during my last session the turning began to stop responding.

I found the syndicate port to be annoying, mostly because having a joystick plugged in made all the prompts be for a nonexistent X360 controller. Speaking of that, getting BF3 to run with a joystick was a fucking pain. Unbind all controls for airplane/helicopter. Install joystick. Rebind all controls. If you have two external control devices: fuck you.

Pretty much anything made by rockstar. Never had a single one of their games work properly. vice city had a really bad sound problem, san andreas had a ctd which was unavoidable and only 10 minutes into the game, gta4 was horribly optimised and l.a. noire is incompatible with most nvidia based laptops. So yeah, I'm never buying a rockstar game ever again.

Resident Evil 4

/Thread

Why? Because the morons who ported the game didn't even allow the bloody mouse to be a part of the control scheme. I can't believe the publisher wctually released the final product.

EDIT: Damn ninjas.

teh_Canape:

Borderlands, the pc port was shit, it used gamespy and it wasn't until a patch a few months after release that it was actually playable multi, the interface was crap, somehow they forgot that a mouse tends to have a wheel. Fortunately it sounds like they are putting some effort into the pc version of 2.

StuBBZZ:

SomebodyNowhere:

Most PC gamers have gamepads because not all games are suited with Mouse and Keyboard, for example Super Meat Boy, it basically tells you at the start of the game that it will suck on the mouse and keyboard...

1, I don't have a gamepad. So, I am part of the minority here? All PC gamers I know don't have one.

2, I beat Super Meat Boy with the keyboard. I like it better with that, rather than a gamepad.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked