Hope you weren't too excited about that Elder Scrolls MMO

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Aw man, this information is a disappointment. They could have made this a WoW-killer, but they're instead just making it a WoW-imitator.

Jynthor:
Then why is it an egalitarian alliance?
Maybe the author made a mistake, but I just find it weird.

that is probably a thing they got form the Bretons.

The Orcs, Redguards, and Nords fight each other often, but they also have great respect for each other because they are all reat Warriors.

The Redguard's respecting the Orcs enough to treat them equally isn't unfounded.

That's disappointing. Still might get it if it's F2P, but they could have made some interesting innovations with this.

SirBryghtside:

Kaleion:
Well since the last Elder Scrolls game I played was Daggerfall I wasn't really exited, but this does leave me wondering, What is the point of making an MMO out of it, if it is nothing like it?
This is actually pretty stupid.

I see your point entirely. I mean.. imagine... pffft, just imagine, if there was an RTS series that actually changed genres! And did something ridiculous like became the most successful game ever!

Oh, I know what you mean Mr. BryghtSide but the reason why that worked is because WarCraft wasn't an RPG and so people weren't expecting anything in particular in regards to gameplay. but since Elder Scrolls is already an RPG most people just wanted the Elder Scrolls experience in MMO form, so unlike WarCraft people have a certain expectation of how an Elder Scrolls MMO should be.
What I'm saying is that people expect certain things from Elder Scrolls, the things they think makes an Elder Scrolls game an Elder Scrolls game, and this isn't going to deliver because if it's like WarCraft with Elder Scrolls lore it definitely won't be what people expect, of course I could be wrong, but as I said I don't really care that much.

SirBryghtside:
]OK, I see your point. Sorry for being a little... untoward. This announcement has just screwed with my mind so much.

It has been known they were working on a MMO that they would announce in may for some time

SirBryghtside:
Tasty tasty graphics card

I was talking more about the knowledge that Zenimax made a MMO company back in 2007, which has been known since 2007.

It really sucks to see something that had so much potential be summed up as "WoW...but in TES!". Granted its not out yet, and maybe the mechanics just weren't explained properly, but this is something i'll be keeping an eye on more out of curiosity than actual interest.

Also...how did the developers not notice the movement away from hotkey MMOs? Sure WoW does it, but WoW's been out for ages, people are comfortable with that system for that particular game. TOR did it, but there's a wave of people that disliked it for that. Then you have TERA and Guild Wars 2 which does away with the traditional hotkey-based gameplay entirely, and they also just so happen to be the most widely anticipated MMO's by many peoples' accounts.

I want this to do so well, i really do, I love the Elder Scrolls universe and i think it's the pinnacle of potential for an MMO, but WoW with another paint job isnt what I was looking for. Why is it so hard for developers and publishers to make an MMO that can function like Skyrim but with more people? I'm tired of hearing about how "the mechanics don't work together", or "it's not possible". Of course it's possible. It's 2012; we have laptops as thin as a pancake and a Google car that drives itself, why can't we have a great MMO that has first person combat with a bunch of other people?

/rant

CAPTCHA: easy as cake. awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwyyeeeeeaaaaaa

jollybarracuda:
It really sucks to see something that had so much potential be summed up as "WoW...but in TES!". Granted its not out yet, and maybe the mechanics just weren't explained properly, but this is something i'll be keeping an eye on more out of curiosity than actual interest.

Also...how did the developers not notice the movement away from hotkey MMOs? Sure WoW does it, but WoW's been out for ages, people are comfortable with that system for that particular game. TOR did it, but there's a wave of people that disliked it for that. Then you have TERA and Guild Wars 2 which does away with the traditional hotkey-based gameplay entirely, and they also just so happen to be the most widely anticipated MMO's by many peoples' accounts.

I want this to do so well, i really do, I love the Elder Scrolls universe and i think it's the pinnacle of potential for an MMO, but WoW with another paint job isnt what I was looking for. Why is it so hard for developers and publishers to make an MMO that can function like Skyrim but with more people? I'm tired of hearing about how "the mechanics don't work together", or "it's not possible". Of course it's possible. It's 2012; we have laptops as thin as a pancake and a Google car that drives itself, why can't we have a great MMO that has first person combat with a bunch of other people?

Having played the GW2 beta............... there is still lots of hotkey smashing.

the whole "GW2 doesn't rely on hotkey hitting" thing is a myth.

GiantRaven:
At first I was intrigued because I was curious about the idea of making a First-person, real-time combat game into an MMO.

Now though? Interest level: 0.

Ditto.

Real time combat would have been the only thing that would have remotely piqued my interest but now I can almost safely say that will not happen. I can only cross my fingers and hope that its combat is not a 100% clone of WoW.

SajuukKhar:

Having played the GW2 beta............... there is still lots of hotkey smashing.

Yah, it does seem a but mashy, but it's not so much hotbars that i have a problem with as it is having skills and actions lined around your screen like a frame and cycling through all the attacks. At least Guild Wars 2 limits what you can have, providing strategy. Though i'll reserve my judgement on whether it really is as different from WoW as i hope it is for when i actually play it.

jollybarracuda:

Yah, it does seem a but mashy, but it's not so much hotbars that i have a problem with as it is having skills and actions lined around your screen like a frame and cycling through all the attacks. At least Guild Wars 2 limits what you can have, providing strategy. Though i'll reserve my judgement on whether it really is as different from WoW as i hope it is for when i actually play it.

According to the game informer scans there is a limit to the number of skills you can use in ESO like GW2, also you can't change skills in combat. They specifically say it isn't like WoW in that regard.

Though it does seem the number of skill is larger then GW2's bar.

"players have a small standard MMO hotbar on which they slot a handful of skills freely outside combat. The limitation on the number of skills available at one time does away with the concept of skill "rotations" that much of the class design of a MMO like World of Warcaft is built on. "now every ability can be awesome," says lead gameplayer designer Nick Konkle. "if you have 20 abilities, at some point I can't let every one be a stun. We can just make ever ability really cool, and how you build your "hand" in advance is what defines you""

SajuukKhar:

jollybarracuda:

According to the game informer scans there is a limit to the number of skills you can use in ES also.

In fact they specifically say it isn't like WoW in that regard.

Though it does seem the number of skill is larger then GW2's bar.

Huh, well i suppose it's a step in the right direction. I guess i was just hoping that TES would be the series to finally have an MMO like I always wanted; first-person, entirely non-hotkey-based combat with an open, consistent world. Looks like the wait is still on.

jollybarracuda:

Huh, well i suppose it's a step in the right direction. I guess i was just hoping that TES would be the series to finally have an MMO like I always wanted; first-person, entirely non-hotkey-based combat with an open, consistent world. Looks like the wait is still on.

As much as I despise the third-person mode in Skyrim I dont htink I would ever want to play a first-person MMORPG.

that is basically a death sentence for PVP.

SajuukKhar:
As much as I despise the third-person mode in Skyrim I dont htink I would ever want to play a first-person MMORPG.

that is basically a death sentence for PVP.

EQ was first person, and was a huge success.

And many PvP shooters work just fine in the first person. Curious why you think it would be the death knell for PvP?

BloatedGuppy:
EQ was first person, and was a huge success.

And many PvP shooters work just fine in the first person. Curious why you think it would be the death knell for PvP?

Everquest was not in first person..............

Also there is a very large diffrent between a multiplayer FPS and a PVP MMORPG, specifically the entire gameplay mechanics.

SajuukKhar:
Everquest was not in first person..............

Also there is a very large diffrent between a multiplayer FPS and a PVP MMORPG, specifically the entire gameplay mechanics.

Yes it most certainly was. Go look at any old school Everquest screenie. First person.

You don't need to be defensive, I honestly want to know WHY you think it would be disruptive to PvP. Maybe you have a super compelling argument. I'd just like to hear it is all.

SirBryghtside:

Kaleion:
-Snip-

OK, I see your point. Sorry for being a little... untoward. This announcement has just screwed with my mind so much.

Aye, don't worry about it Sir, I don't really mind explaining my point but I do hope you cook that graphics card first, it probably won't taste good without proper seasoning.

I find it amazing how people were actually expecting anything else than a Hotkey MMO at all.

BloatedGuppy:
Yes it most certainly was. Go look at any old school Everquest screenie. First person.

You don't need to be defensive, I honestly want to know WHY you think it would be disruptive to PvP. Maybe you have a super compelling argument. I'd just like to hear it is all.

Ohh right I forgot there was a first person view mode on Eq, i always mouse wheeled up to third person.

Because first person views greatly detracts from your ability to see.... well anything at all really. In PVP if you cant see most of whats going on around you your dead. Its so limiting it would basically turn PVP into a "who can hide more" instead of a "who is a better player with the right skills/weapon/armor" killing field.

Furthermore first person view in MMORPGs is simply vomit enduing. Guild wars 1 had a first person mode which I tried several occasion and I almost threw up, which is saying something becuase I got through Half-Life 2 just fine and that game is notorious for causing nausea.

To those complaining about WoW mechanics.

...Why fix what isn't broke?

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Haha, no. TOR is probably better to be perfectly honest.

Really? Faceroll aggro for tanks, endless mana for healers, unbalanced faction skills and broken BGs and you think it's better?

While i think ToR did some things better, the mechanics are not one of them.

OT: Matt Firor is the game's director, that means I am hyped for it and will prob prebuy it (unless it looks exceptionally bad).

Zydrate:
To those complaining about WoW mechanics.

...Why fix what isn't broke?

Many of WoW's mechanics are broke.....

But ESO seems to take things from both WoW and GW2, so I am on the fence as to how good it will be gameplay wise.

ESO has gives you the ability to sprint, block, interrupt, and break effects using a stamina resource.

SajuukKhar:
Ohh right I forgot there was a first person view mode on Eq, i always mouse wheeled up to third person.

Because first person views greatly detracts from your ability to see.... well anything at all really. In PVP if you cant see most of whats going on around you your dead. Its so limiting it would basically turn PVP into a "who can hide more" instead of a "who is a better player with the right skills/weapon/armor" killing field.

Furthermore first person view in MMORPGs is simply vomit enduing. Guild wars 1 had a first person mode which I tried several occasion and I almost threw up, which is saying something becuase I got through Half-Life 2 just fine and that game is notorious for causing nausea.

Some people do get nausea from FPS games, I suppose that's true.

Generally speaking though, I've always found first person to be superior for PvP from a design perspective, simply BECAUSE it creates natural blind spots in your view. It's a little weird to have an omniscient view of the battlefield. It's part of the reason why "stealth" in MMOs now translates into "become completely invisible in broad daylight" in order to properly make positional attacks.

To each their own though. It's not like isometric or 3rd person games are rubbish or anything. I've certainly grown accustomed to 3rd person in MMOs, and I do think it gives you a closer "bond" with your character, if at a slight cost to immersion.

One thing I am interested about is the Gameinformer scans say traditional agro mechanics are not in the game.

Well, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't half expecting this. I'm just wondering how the class system is going to work.

I'm surprised anyone though it wasn't going to be a typical WoW cloned MMO. And no, I'm not just saying that to push people's buttons.

It's the easiest way to get quick money. (Supposedly)

My guess is that developers and publishers don't want to put something different and new out, for the chance the investment will flop. The solution is to apparently try to capture the Call of Duty market and the World of Warcraft market.

Wow type games are dead. It's real time combat from here on out, especially if Tera is successful.

Edit: Also I smelled a rat as soon as I saw Zenimax as the developer.

Eri:

Kotaku:
TYou can't own a house because it's "too hard to implement in an MMO"

http://kotaku.com/5907598/first-elder-scrolls-online--details-make-it-sound-like-just-another-fantasy-mmo

I wasn't all that excited because my faith in new MMOs is quite weak, and this, this right here is why. Don't expect much and you can't get too disappointed.

Star Wars Galaxies allowed people to build Giant Fuckign cities, how the fuck is this a technical impossibility in this day an age?

boag:
Star Wars Galaxies allowed people to build Giant Fuckign cities, how the fuck is this a technical impossibility in this day an age?

Depends on the engine I suppose.

I might also add non-instanced player housing is a pretty mixed bag. It was a fucking eyesore in Ultima Online.

I'm surprised this surprised anyone :P

They'd never go for the first person sorta thing because that'd be different than the usual mmo flavor, and big companies don't like different because that means risk.

What? Nobody else saw this coming? This is why I wasn't interested.

shameduser:
Wow type games are dead. It's real time combat from here on out, especially if Tera is successful.

I think that's a little too cut and dry. Realtime MMOs aren't the direct evolution of hot-bar MMOs. They're completely different beasts. One isn't directly "better" than the other or vice versa. Especially since "Real time combat" MMO's have been around for awhile, and haven't "killed" or replaced the bar-versions yet.

Besides, with the whole "being able to block with a stamina bar" it sounds pretty real-time. Since you would have to block when an enemy attacked.

Given that the mechanics were described pretty vaguely I'd say it was too early to call it anything.

Tanakh:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Haha, no. TOR is probably better to be perfectly honest.

Really? Faceroll aggro for tanks, endless mana for healers, unbalanced faction skills and broken BGs and you think it's better?

While i think ToR did some things better, the mechanics are not one of them.

OT: Matt Firor is the game's director, that means I am hyped for it and will prob prebuy it (unless it looks exceptionally bad).

Alright, let me revise my statement.

They both fucking suck. Complaining about faceroll abilities in TOR? Yeah, I remember playing frost mage in PvP in WoW. Spam 3 abilities randomly. It was so hard. The steep difficulty actually put me off.

I'm still busy grinding through Aion, Vindictus, and DDO. Elder Scrolls online sounds like a decent idea, but i'm sure it'll boil down to a few basic things. Longevity, Gear and quests before i'll either fall in love or condemn it to death

undeadsuitor:

Besides, with the whole "being able to block with a stamina bar" it sounds pretty real-time. Since you would have to block when an enemy attacked.

Given that the mechanics were described pretty vaguely I'd say it was too early to call it anything.

Not only can you block, but you can
-sprint
-interrupt
-Negate some effects, such as the freezing parts of frost spells

using the stamina bar system.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked