Hope you weren't too excited about that Elder Scrolls MMO

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

There was never a reason to make TES into an MMO. Major single player games should stay single player to me.

Kaleion:

Zachary Amaranth:

Kaleion:
Well since the last Elder Scrolls game I played was Daggerfall I wasn't really exited, but this does leave me wondering, What is the point of making an MMO out of it, if it is nothing like it?
This is actually pretty stupid.

Trading on a major name. Not exactly the worst idea in the world, but I bet it'll fail.

While trading on the name is not that bad an idea, it will make it fail since the reason people wanted an Elder Scrolls MMO was because they wanted an MMO with the mechanics and features of the Elder Scrolls games, sure the lore is good (I assume) but if the game is nothing like what people expect from it then it will most likely fail.
Well I assume, I could always be wrong.

I forgot. nobody would buy a non-FPP Elder Scrolls.

Much of the rest seems like it would be able to fit.

Robert Ewing:
I made the exact same face someone would make if they saw their dog die when this shit was announced.

Why even bother putting it into an MMO? It will just join the ranks of incredibly bland, incredibly similar and incredibly boring MMO legions, and thus destroy the franchise to some degree because of how embarrassing this whole thing is.

Keep the elder scrolls single player! That's what it's good at! And when I say good, I mean REALLY GOOD. When haven't Bethesda made a good game recently!? Most peoples only complaint with them is bugs. But news flash, they get fixed!

Don't do the MMO Bethesda, just don't.

Zenimax Online is developing the MMO while Bethesda works on other projects, presumably Skyrim DLC at this point. That being said, although I am optimistic about the potential of the MMO, I hope this doesn't give Bethesda a reason to stop making fantastic single-player Elder Scrolls games.

Dendio:
All MMO's are WoW with their own coat of franchise paint.

for arguments sake, what about MMO's that are still on the market that are as old, or older then WoW? are they 'WoW clones?'

OT:

knew this was a bad idea from the moment i heard about it, so nice to know thinks seem set to confirm this

Oh well, at least I still have Guild Wars 2 and The Secret World to look forward to.

Like most people here my interest in this just vanished, i was hoping that they would make a game like skyrim but have it 1-4 players so you could run around with your friends but it will never happen.

CAPTCHA: heartache-it sure is

Fappy:

Jynthor:
Extremely boring and generic trailer, but here you go.

That was a pretty lackluster teaser/. I got semi-excited when the theme started playing but then it kind of just petered off.

That's why I've learned to mute trailers. The audio can build artificial hype. If it does look good muted, I'll watch it a second time to see if there was anything in the audio to make it even cooler.

OT: Well, I was never excited for TESMMO, so I'm happy to hear it's going to suck, otherwise I'd have to listen to everyone talking about how they love the newest skinnerbox mechanics.

C-c-c-called it!

And the Fallout MMO will suck just as much, no matter what the greasy hippie from Fallout: Houston claims.

Lunar Templar:

Dendio:

for arguments sake, what about MMO's that are still on the market that are as old, or older then WoW? are they 'WoW clones?'

OT:

knew this was a bad idea from the moment i heard about it, so nice to know thinks seem set to confirm this

MMO's predate wow, but WoW has come to define the genre. The WoW infrastructure seems to be at the heart of any MMO. At the end of the day you grind gear via pve or pvp and level alts.

Its a very successful formula and nobody wants to stray too far away from it.
The future seems to be all about playing WoW in your favorite franchise universe.

GiantRaven:
At first I was intrigued because I was curious about the idea of making a First-person, real-time combat game into an MMO.

Now though? Interest level: 0.

this

only 0 is generous, come on Zenimax/bethesda whoever the fuck.
you finally hammer down some quality gameplay with skyrim, and then completely ignore it for your mmo?
wtf?

do something different! warcraft is cooldowns and quick turn based, so is ToR, so Everquest,Ddo, Allods, LoTRO... etc. Do your own thing for fuck sake. real time combat was such an obvious step, its been done in mmo but NOT in a triple AAA super high profile game.

Son i am disappoint.

like the old phrase goes, Innovate, don't emulate!

Oh. OH. OH!
Well they can go fuck themselves, then. Now where's Dawnguard?

Oh my god they were right in that other forum. Wow clone. Fuck.

Manoose47:

GiantRaven:
At first I was intrigued because I was curious about the idea of making a First-person, real-time combat game into an MMO.

Now though? Interest level: 0.

this

only 0 is generous, come on Zenimax/bethesda whoever the fuck.
you finally hammer down some quality gameplay with skyrim, and then completely ignore it for your mmo?
wtf?

do something different! warcraft is cooldowns and quick turn based, so is ToR, so Everquest,Ddo, Allods, LoTRO... etc. Do your own thing for fuck sake. real time combat was such an obvious step, its been done in mmo but NOT in a triple AAA super high profile game.

Son i am disappoint.

like the old phrase goes, Innovate, don't emulate!

I'm not defending what they are doing, but think of it this way. Why is WoW still so popular? It is easy to run. hotkey based combat is much easier to run than real time with raids full of people. Try Vindictus. It has real time combat, but the problem is that it is much harder to run. MMOs are expensive to make, and if you can get 50% of computer users running the game, then that is a possible 50% of people in your market to sell to. if only 10% can run, yu just cut 40% of people from ever buying your game.

Well i must say im not surprised. its incredibly unfortunate but not one bit surprising, mmos really seem to be stuck in their mechanics with very little innovation coming out. perhaps one day we will see an mmo use real time combat and get rid of hot bars and succeed but it seems that time is not yet.

Dendio:

Lunar Templar:

Dendio:

OT:

MMO's predate wow, but WoW has come to define the genre. The WoW infrastructure seems to be at the heart of any MMO. At the end of the day you grind gear via pve or pvp and level alts.

Its a very successful formula and nobody wants to stray too far away from it.
The future seems to be all about playing WoW in your favorite franchise universe.

kinda figured you'd say that, and it's sadly true.

though depends on how interesting they make the 'grind', i suppose.

of the 3 i play, 2 have decided to hide the grin behind a more 'twitched based' game play scheme. though the grind for mat to MAKE the gear in the one can be a cold hard bitch, it's ok cause i like the combat system, hell they give you a single target insta kill for the trash mobs, at lvl 1 even (its a grab, hitting the heavy attack button will, in most case, kill an enemy out right. doesn't work on bosses, they're to big to grab)

the other, my first MMO, which i still go back to :D, more or less makes grinding for that 'epic gear' fairly pointless by virtue of not needing it at all for any of the high level content, be it a raid or other wise, and for the little bit of content there is that pretty much requires a power boost at the level cap, they made those boost laughably easy to get.

so you know >.> you can have FUN with it and not grind for days and days trying to get ONE hunk of gear in a 9 part set

Can we get a mmo that does NOT PLAY LIKE WOW! If i want to play something like wow i will play wow!
Give me something NEW

Blobpie:
Can we get a mmo that does NOT PLAY LIKE WOW! If i want to play something like wow i will play wow!
Give me something NEW

According to the Game Informer scans the game has

-A limited skill bar, like in GW and GW2, so you cant have have like 10 skillbars all over the screen with all of your skills on them like in WoW

-A Stamina mechanic that allows you to
--Sprint
--Block
--Interrupt
--Break some forms of paralysis
They say they are doing this to give players more self-responsibility to try to help break the trinity DPS/TANK/HEALER that other MMOs, like WoW, use. Quite similar to GW2 and its dodge mechanic that uses a stamina bar.

-Classes can combine skills, like a rouge's oil-slick, and a mage's fireball, can make a firewall. Again similar to GW2.

-Weapons determine your first two skills and you have a special finesse skill, similar to how GW2's weapons determine your attack skills and you have a dedicated elite skill.

-There is apparently no aggro mechanic, monsters use combat tactics that a player would use, and dont just sit around waiting for someone to attack them.

-It has a hubless quest system, so no going to towns to load up on quests

-There is a form of fast travel, and the compass with map markers are in the game.

Count how many times I mentioned guild wars, then count how many times I mentioned WoW.

the game doesnt play like woW

I'm actually not too surprised. The whole Empire falling apart, Skyrim rebelling, and the Aldmeri Dominion breathing down everyone's necks storyline in Skyrim seemed to be the setup for something. At first I thought some epic Elder Scrolls game where the player gets to travel to all the lands, like Daggerfall...

Now, it's just some shitty Mummorpuger. wonderful.

I can't wait 'til Guild Wars 2 is released. If nothing else to give devs something else to copy as they butcher their IPs.

I wasn't ever interested in this mmo and it ruins what I like about Elder Scrolls that eventually you were an overpowered god in the game. MMOs can't have that experience because all the classes have to be balanced and while yes you can go to lower level monsters and dominate them its just not as fun like summoning a storm to kill a town full of people or abusing sneak and laughing as you keep shooting arrows into someones head.

well at first i was interested, then i realized that calling it an elderscrolls game is abit of a joke, then again, if it ends up free to play after it falls face first, I would definatly give it a go...... well prehaps if it didnt fall face first, but maybe a little stumble or something that makes it give up competting with WoW.

Gennadios:
I'm actually not too surprised. The whole Empire falling apart, Skyrim rebelling, and the Aldmeri Dominion breathing down everyone's necks storyline in Skyrim seemed to be the setup for something. At first I thought some epic Elder Scrolls game where the player gets to travel to all the lands, like Daggerfall...

I can't wait 'til Guild Wars 2 is released. If nothing else to give devs something else to copy as they butcher their IPs.

Story seems to be advancing in an interesting (or at least unexpected) direction, not really reason enough to play it though.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/elder-scrolls-online

The Imperials try to retake Tamriel by allyng with a necromancer and serve as the antagonists for the game. There are three other factions with three species each, including the Aldmeri dominion, that are for the actual players to join, who are all fighting against the Imperials.

Gennadios:

The MMO is set 1000 years in the past

this is LONG LONG before Skyrim

can no one read anymore?

Gennadios:

It actually takes place long before skyrim, or oblivion.

Well, ProjectV13 or whatever has been canceled, and Bestheda isn't interested in the old CRPG model that is, 1, 2, Van Buren, and all the other games employed. So, Fallout Online has pretty much went down the shit-hole. But if you're wondering if Fallout gets an MMO is this style, it'll be equally as shitty - even worse, probably.

I'd like an MMORPG where there's actual role-playing.

Of course, it won't happen. There are too many 12 year olds with too much money.

You guys are always the last people I'd expect to almost unanimously dislike something terrible; and it pleases me greatly that this is an exception.

Meh, still invoking the same amount of interest as it was before I read this thread. Oh NOOOOOOOOOO! an MMO is going to use MMO Tropes! END OF THE FUCKING WORLD!

I am not at all disappointed or surprised.

Well, I might still play it if it has an intriguing story.

I'm sorry. I can't say that with a straight face.

MMO stories suck.

Also, trashing the lore in the name of PvP balance.

My god, they JUST announced it and already it's being ripped to shreds. I'm going to wait until it's done before leaping to any conclusions.

My interest peaked when I heard about an Elder Scrolls MMO.

Now it's gone again.

Yeah, it looked like an extremely generic Fantasy MMO when I saw those first images released and now I can confirm it with what Zenimax has just said. Seriously, why can' they just release a co-op option for a new Elder Scrolls game, where you can invite a friend of yours online to play with your character? Why does it have to be WoW masquerading as Elder Scrolls?

maturin:
Also, trashing the lore in the name of PvP balance.

anyone who says it is trashing the lore doesn't know the lore.

well thats probably put a bullet in the back of the game's head before it could even get out the door. should have stuck to the franchise's roots and not just make "another generic MMORPG".

Catpcha: piggyback

pretty much what this game is doing with the TES name.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked