ORION: Dino Beatdown is beyond shit. Do not buy it.

EDIT 2

The dev has been all over the forums apologising. As I was told by Steam Support to wait for my patch, I will wait and see if the dev pulls through and patches it. He assures us it's a small fix and it's 2 bugs causing all the shit.

I doubt he will pull through but all I can do is wait.

The game is a mess.

Issues and gripes include
-The MP crashes when trying to join a server.
-Crashes to the menu for no reason
-The game looks like a mod
-No support for 1280x1024, seriously?

Also the project lead is meant to be a dick.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/g2sol/david_prassel_creator_of_orion_prelude_receives/

This is about a different ORION game.

EDIT

The guy essentially admits to stealing assets. Read the thread to see whats what.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2684959&page=3

Rzep:
View Post
So stock photos and a turok tribute in a game about shooting dinosaurs needs explenation?

DPrassel:
This will be sorted out in the update.

But it sounds so coooool!

hazabaza1:

I thought it would be worth a punt but it's so bad that I've sent a ticket to support for a refund.

Steam don't usually do them but seeing as the game is broken I was mis-sold a product and should be given one.

Matthew94:

hazabaza1:

I thought it would be worth a punt but it's so bad that I've sent a ticket to support for a refund.

Steam don't usually do them but seeing as the game is broken I was mis-sold a product and should be given one.

Well, good luck dude.
Normally the name "Dino Beatdown" would be enough to get me to check something out but I think I'll hold off.

Speculation that the guy stole assets from other games

http://www.gatheryourparty.com/articles/2012/05/04/orion-employee-beatdown/

More people should read this. The game looked cool at first but after reading more into this I wish there was some way I could spite him more than not buying it.

Novania:
More people should read this. The game looked cool at first but after reading more into this I wish there was some way I could spite him more than not buying it.

Matthew94:
The game is a mess.

Issues and gripes include
-The MP crashes when trying to join a server.
-Crashes to the menu for no reason
-The game looks like a mod
-No support for 1280x1024, seriously?

Also the project lead is meant to be a dick.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/g2sol/david_prassel_creator_of_orion_prelude_receives/

This is about a different ORION game.

YOU TAKE REDDIT AS AN OFFICIAL SOURCE!?
This is a smear campaign by a bunch of employees fired before money even entered the equasion.
It happens.
The project lead did not even use their work.
And the "stolen" assets have not even been used in the retail game they were used as an in house placeholder.
If this was true there would be lawsuits.

ok i have no idea what this game even is, but i guess if i see it i won't buy it
thanks for the warning?

For some strange reason over time nearly any game that adopts dinosaurs usually turns out to be horrible. It really is a shame.

I remember this got an endorsement from Cliffy "I wear my sisters t-shirts to make me look bigger" B.

Thats when my interest faded away.

Theyre having an update on monday i think itll fix something.. =)

I actually got this sent to me as a gift and i didn't experince any issues that were said i got in a game with my friends and we had a right laugh with it and Matthew94 the game just came out a good amount of games come out with bugs but that doesnt mean you should demand a refund otherwise i would've demanded many refunds for games that had bugs or crashed

rolfwesselius:

This is a smear campaign by a bunch of employees fired before money even entered the equasion.
It happens.
And the "stolen" assets have not even been used in the retail game they were used as an in house placeholder.

No, I didn't take it as an official source. I just said he is meant to be a dick.

If it's false it doesn't make his game less shit.

Antari:
For some strange reason over time nearly any game that adopts dinosaurs usually turns out to be horrible. It really is a shame.

Though I didn't buy it, Dine D-Day springs to mind.

Lec:

I heard that too, hopefully I get a refund before then.

Francis York Morgan:
I actually got this sent to me as a gift and i didn't experince any issues that were said i got in a game with my friends and we had a right laugh with it and Matthew94 the game just came out a good amount of games come out with bugs but that doesnt mean you should demand a refund otherwise i would've demanded many refunds for games that had bugs or crashed

I shouldn't want a refund because it's buggy?

That attitude is why games are so buggy these days, people like you take it lying down. I was sold a product that doesn't work, if people get their money back it will encourage them to stop releasing shitty products.

If they know they can get away with it they will.

The guy essentially admits to stealing assets.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2684959&page=3

Rzep:

So stock photos and a turok tribute in a game about shooting dinosaurs needs explenation?

DPrassel:
This will be sorted out in the update.

The product does work just 60% of the time and if you're going to start calling a game that just came out shitty then i will say Bobby kotick is stealing money from Activision fans and anyone who plays their games (they dont have many now because Bobby Nodick is a money hungry pig) since all they're doing is releasing the same shit nothing new nothing fucking special Call of Duty is a fucking rip-off and all they're doing is making it every single goddam year so they can take you're hard earned money and buy a yacht or get golden floors in their house now that is a game that i demand a refund for!
Thank you for reading my post

You, my friend, need to level up your Bullshit Detection skill. I wouldn't have touched this game with a 10 foot halberd made of ironbark and meteorite steel, nor will I do so at any point in the future. The whole thing just smells of "lazily thrown-together mod shoveled out for money".

Francis York Morgan:
-snip-

That's no excuse. You don't release a game if it's unfinished it's as simple as that. Last gen if a publisher did that then no-one would buy the game, but this gen they think it's OK to release unfinished, broken games and make us do the bug testing for free. I don't know about you but I think that's bullshit and they're ripping us off.

EDIT: And only working 60% of the time is absolutely pathetic. They should be ashamed for releasing such a shitty, broken product.

It's true that the game is horribly broken right now, but beyond that it is also horrible to play, really just don't go near it.
Work such as this should not be supported.

Combine Rustler:
You, my friend, need to level up your Bullshit Detection skill. I wouldn't have touched this game with a 10 foot halberd made of ironbark and meteorite steel, nor will I do so at any point in the future. The whole thing just smells of "lazily thrown-together mod shoveled out for money".

It was a moment of weakness.

I was in the mood for an FPS, it had dinosaurs. You have to forgive me!

OT The dev has been all over the forums apologising. As I was told by Steam Support to wait for my patch, I will wait and see if the dev pulls through and patches it. He assures us it's a small fix and it's 2 bugs causing all the shit.

I doubt he will pull through but all I can do is wait.

Thanks for the warning! Was considering picking it up.

Matthew94:

rolfwesselius:

It happens.

No, I didn't take it as an official source. I just said he is meant to be a dick.

Antari:

Lec:

Francis York Morgan:

That attitude is why games are so buggy these days, people like you take it lying down. I was sold a product that doesn't work, if people get their money back it will encourage them to stop releasing shitty products.

No, he is saying THE GAME JUST CAME OUT, SO OF COURSE THERE WILL BE SOME ISSUES.

Hell, Mount & Blade when IT first came out was buggy as hell and Napoleonic Wars has several units that are completely useless unless you count a 50 member Napoleonic Battlefield Band including bagpipes useless.

Even though people enjoy it, by your standards it is a buggy piece of shit and should of never been made.

PERCEPTION.

That being said, you bought a game called Orion: Dino Beatdown, you kind of deserve getting your money taken away from you.

seriously, someone puts Dinosaurs in a game and all of a sudden thousands of people think it will be good.

Kalezian:

No, he is saying THE GAME JUST CAME OUT, SO OF COURSE THERE WILL BE SOME ISSUES.

Hell, Mount & Blade when IT first came out was buggy as hell and Napoleonic Wars has several units that are completely useless unless you count a 50 member Napoleonic Battlefield Band including bagpipes useless.

Even though people enjoy it, by your standards it is a buggy piece of shit and should of never been made.

PERCEPTION.

That being said, you bought a game called Orion: Dino Beatdown, you kind of deserve getting your money taken away from you.

seriously, someone puts Dinosaurs in a game and all of a sudden thousands of people think it will be good.

I think Mount and Blade is horrible, I bought WFAS going off tons of fans who said it was awesome pre-launch. That was another game I was burned on, beyond shit though that was balancing and not bugginess.

Be sure to tell us if you get your money back.

My bullshit detectors are pretty good so I rarely if ever buy buggy games on Steam, but if they sold me a broken product? You fucking bet I would harass them to hell and back till I got my money back. This practice of selling broken games needs to stop.

Do they not test them? They should. Do they know they are broken, but just sell them anyway? They should not do that, and that shit will not fly.

I just dont understand why Valve readily sell games like these on their platform but turn away other games that are not fundamentally broken.

I didn't know about this game but still think there's a dire lack of games in this day and age where you murder dinosaurs. Who decided Dinosaurs are no longer fun to murder?! It couldn't have taken Turok alone to ruin everyone else's fun after all. Oh well, too bad about Orion: Eventually we might get another good Dinosaur murder-sim.

Kalezian:

Matthew94:

rolfwesselius:

It happens.

Antari:

Lec:

Francis York Morgan:

PERCEPTION.

Mount & Blade was released as a Beta first, so yeah that argument just fell apart on you.

Wow, after reading the pitch on Steam this game may have been very likely to get bought by a group of my friends for a LAN night.

I'm not one to boycott games because the dev is a douche, but I'll hold off any purchases for a while to see if stability improves.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Here is a tl;dr of what support told me.

"there is a patch coming, deal with it"

Matthew94:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Naturally. They can't return your money because...well, that takes effort.

Yeah, I saw that on Steam earlier.
Personally, I wasn't considering picking up Dino Beatdown; it's not my bag, but this is a reminder of why it definitely pays to do your research first.

No, I'm not here to just make smug banter or to show how much "smarter" I am for having foresight, but to thank you for giving me a wakeup call.

See, I've been looking at A Valley Without Wind, but after having read this topic, I decided to go ahead and do a bit more research. After a few reviews and viewing some more of the gameplay, I am reconsidering it.

Atmos Duality:

Matthew94:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Yeah, I saw that on Steam earlier.
Personally, I wasn't considering picking up Dino Beatdown; it's not my bag, but this is a reminder of why it definitely pays to do your research first.

No, I'm not here to just make smug banter or to show how much "smarter" I am for having foresight, but to thank the you for giving me a wakeup call.

See, I've been looking at A Valley Without Wind, but after having read this topic, I decided to go ahead and do a bit more research. After a few reviews and viewing some more of the gameplay, I am reconsidering it.

Agreed, I'll just learn to be more skeptical. It was only 6 so I didn't lose much, it could have been worse.

Funny thing is, I can play the game online fine. It crashes from time too time, and sometimes the menu buttons don't work. But the game is working for me.

Matthew94:

Kalezian:

PERCEPTION.

I think Mount and Blade is horrible, I bought WFAS going off tons of fans who said it was awesome pre-launch. That was another game I was burned on, beyond shit though that was balancing and not bugginess.

To be fair, Mount and Blade WFAS is a horrible, horrible thing, Warband the one that people like

As for ORION Dino Beatdown, that was one of those games where I just had to look at the ad page on steam to know it would be a mess, and of all things this is really the type of thing that people should not buy on launch

Atmos Duality:

Matthew94:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Well I messaged them back bringing up the "sale of goods act", hopefully that will be enough to get a refund

This was one of those games I was able to strike off my "to play" list just on the title alone. Anything with the words "Dino Beatdown" just sounds like a failure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siaccrX0ij8&feature=youtu.be

I feel this is a case of Gamer Entitlement, so I made a video for y'all.

Jesus Christ how horrifying

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked