Risen 2 - All DLC unlockable using console

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

So apparently both story islands and the pirate clothes DLC are already part of the game:

The only thing happening when one downloads/activates a DLC by buying it, is that it gets activated within the game and a respective "dialogue_language_dlc3.pak" gets downloaded to be used for the spoken dialogue (the Treasure Island DLC for instance is only 48MB big as far as I know).

Some people found a way around this in the Test Mode of the game, one can enter a Test Mode by blindly typing "pommes" in game, it should display "TestMode Activated" and enable the console which can be opened with the "^"-key left of the "1", after that apparently spawning "DLC helpers" seems to work:

spawn dlc1h
spawn dlc2h
spawn dlc3h

After activating the DLCs they are fully functional (even the one that was exclusive for the "Stahlbart's Schatz" edition of the game) aside from missing voice overs for those parts of the game.

So there goes any doubt that the DLCs weren't "cut out" from the game.

I haven't yet played the game (but I will, regardless of bullshit) but I've been a fan of Pirahna Bytes for quite some time now and... well, I didn't really expect them to pull some shit like this. It's a little disappointing to be honest, but oh well.

Now's the perfect time to change DLC from downloadable content to disc locked content.

Hahahahaha that's beautiful. Apparently "on-disc DLC" is rapidly coming to mean "free DLC."

Kahunaburger:
Hahahahaha that's beautiful. Apparently "on-disc DLC" is rapidly coming to mean "free DLC."

Yeah, it's too bad our console brothers can't do the same thing, because that would surely stop these greedy shenanigans.

Hey, as long as they keep doing it, we'll keep finding ways of unlocking it. Go ahead, give us your DLC for free you fuckin' morons.

captcha: plus or minus

Well it's obviously a plus!

Fat_Hippo:
Yeah, it's too bad our console brothers can't do the same thing, because that would surely stop these greedy shenanigans.

Didn't someone find a way to unlock all DLC characters for Street Fighter X Tekken?

Kahunaburger:

That is the idiocy of the whole thing. Just because it is on the disk doesn't mean it was free. It is their prerogative on how they will sell their games.

That it uses batteries does't mean "batteries included". Capcom did a somewhat crappy thing of making a lot of commercials and trailers without telling that the chars shown are sold separately, but when we are informed of what we are and arn't buying I dont really see the problem.

Draech:

Kahunaburger:

That is the idiocy of the whole thing. Just because it is on the disk doesn't mean it was free. It is their prerogative on how they will sell their games.

That it uses batteries does't mean "batteries included".

But they included batteries. That's the whole point. They just hid them from you and now they expect you to pay them to tell you where they are.

Adam Jensen:

Draech:

Kahunaburger:

But they included batteries. That's the whole point. They just hid them from you and now they expect you to pay them to tell you where they are.

They did for a fact not include batteries.

They made a point out of selling that stuff separately. You hacked the game so you have access to it is no different than hacking steam servers to have access to dlc there. "it is on the disk" carries no more weight than "it is on the server".

Draech:

Kahunaburger:

Apparently it was free in this case. Unless you think that essentially using a cheat code is piracy.

Dexter111:

Buuuut it won't stop people from arguing the point.

Draech:

Adam Jensen:

Draech:

They made a point out of selling that stuff separately. You hacked the game so you have access to it is no different than hacking steam servers to have access to dlc there. "it is on the disk" carries no more weight than "it is on the server".

And because of people like you who don't get it and never will, this kind of shitty business practice continues.

Kahunaburger:

Draech:

Kahunaburger:

Apparently it was free in this case. Unless you think that essentially using a cheat code is piracy.

Nah its just lack of security from their side. They made a point out of they were selling it, they just didn't enforce it. Just makes them incompetent really.

Draech:

Except one definitively negates the "downloadable" part of "downloadable content."

They did include the batteries. They're there on the disc. They're just charging you to use what's already included.

That doesn't make it right to hack the disc, mind, but te batteries are there.

Zachary Amaranth:

Dexter111:

Buuuut it won't stop people from arguing the point.

It's fucking sad, isn't it? xD (a lot of what Draech says makes me a sad panda though, I secretly hope he's just young but there's other people too :O)

Btw. I loved this rebuttal in one of the Capcom threads, it made me lol :P

Capcom:
"There is effectively no distinction between the DLC being "locked" behind the disc and available for unlocking at a later date, or being available through a full download at a later date, other than delivery mechanism."

Customers:
"There is effectively no distinction between playing the game by buying the disc, or downloading and burning it, other than delivery mechanism."

Adam Jensen:

Draech:

Adam Jensen:

And because of people like you, this kind of shitty business practice continues.

People like me?

Yeah people like me who realise that shit doesn't get programmed from nowhere?

People like me who have 2 braincells to put together and can see what they are selling and determined value according to what they are selling, rather than what I think I am entitled to?

Yeah thats people like me.

And you know what. Its people like me who pay for games, so that you can stomp your feet and be sad when you dont want to pay for them.

Hah! Awesome, way to go hackers. I'm happy they found this out, anything to stuff this shit back in the fucking idiot devs faces that INSIST on charging extra for content already on the disk. They deserve this, badly...

On-disk DLC is a fucking scam and anyone who isn't a total ass kisser knows this. The chains need to be broken, every single time they are found.

Zachary Amaranth:

Draech:

Except one definitively negates the "downloadable" part of "downloadable content."

They did include the batteries. They're there on the disc. They're just charging you to use what's already included.

That doesn't make it right to hack the disc, mind, but te batteries are there.

Does it matter that it is downloaded whole?

I mean you are still sold what you are advertised. You have no right to play the parts they didn't sell you. You bought a game without those features. Does it matter that they can be unlocked?
You can argue very well that it is cut content, but does that matter?
You put together 2 braincells and said to your self "this game is/isn't worth the price they are taking for it" and acted accordingly.

Draech:
People like me?

Yeah people like me who realise that shit doesn't get programmed from nowhere?

People like me who have 2 braincells to put together and can see what they are selling and determined value according to what they are selling, rather than what I think I am entitled to?

Yeah thats people like me.

And you know what. Its people like me who pay for games, so that you can stomp your feet and be sad when you dont want to pay for them.

It's more like people like you that haven't the faintest clue of programming, yet believe everything publishers and PR say, taking it as universal truth in an argument.

People like you that don't realize that business practices can be changed by consumers and seem ignorant enough to not only give in to them, but defending and helping to propagate them so you won't have 3 pieces of content cut out of your game next time but 5, and 7 after that.
Luckily there seems to be a rather large pushback regarding these issues and people like you don't seem to be the majority.

People like you that use the word "entitled" instead of "consumer feedback" as if that means anything because you read it on IGN once and would likely accept them selling you a 2 hour long game for full price so they can continue selling you 2 hour bits of it every week as "DLC" if they sculpt you enough.
People like you that don't seem to realize that because a company can DO something doesn't mean they should or that it's even the best possible way to increase that shiny profit and that you're actually arguing against your own good and your rights as a consumer.

That's people like you :P

Draech:
[You have no right to play the parts they didn't sell you.

Well, considering that you can unlock the "DL"C by hitting a couple of keys in-game...

Above: piracy, according to Draech.

Kahunaburger:

Draech:

Well, considering that you can unlock the "DL"C by hitting a couple of keys in-game...

Smash+grap+run= not stealing according to Kahunaburger.

Im sorry you going to take into account what I said or are you going to make it up as you go? I already replied to you.

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

That is all.

Not quite. I mean really, if you insist on this DLC nonsense, at least bother with the pretence of it being something you created after the game was released. We buy a copy of the files, we get access to all of them. I am particularly arse-y and moralistic about piracy, but this is just a farce.

Perfect analogy: there's a side-mission in Human Revolution where you have to get some information from this informant. After he's told you everything, he then demands payment. I think Jensen's response is to laugh at him, too.

At least with Javik all you could get was the weapon and him in your squad. No dialogue or anything without purchasing the DLC. This is just fucking stupid.

Hey if they want to keep being dummies by putting DLC on the disk itself that's fine with me. More free DLC for us pc users.

Draech:

Kahunaburger:

Draech:

I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to argue with this analogy - please elaborate.

My point is that considering that the "DL"C is content you can access in-game by using part of the game, the argument that it's piracy because it's "not content they sold to the player" holds about as much water as saying that extra lives in Contra are piracy because they're "not content they sold to the player."

Kahunaburger:

Draech:

Kahunaburger:

I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to argue with this analogy - please elaborate.

My point is that considering that the "DL"C is content you can access in-game by using part of the game, the argument that it's piracy because it's "not content they sold to the player" holds about as much water as saying that extra lives in Contra are piracy because they're "not content they sold to the player."

The difference is that a cheat is a feature added purposely by the developer and this isn't. This was content meant to be sold. How easy it is to do is besides the point. Its easy to do a smash and grap from a convenience store, but that doesn't mean they didn't want you to pay for it.

Unlocking content might be easy in this case, but that doesn't change they wanted you to pay for it. There is the difference.

Or are you going to tell me they meant to do this?

I am so happy that they found a way to do this. I seriously hope that it happens every time they release "Disk locked content". If I ever bother to get this game then I am totally using all of teh cheat codes! Although I doubt I will get this game since it won't run on my PC.

Draech:
Aaah I like your whiny threads Dex. Its has become somewhat a Zeel-lous pusuit of your.

So being pro-consumer is bad, right I get it. Informing people on what they would be actually "buying" is zealous and whiny. Are you sure you're not working for the Bank of America or something instead?

Guess what will happen when they make it 6 and 10 parts?

Ill use that thing in my skull you seem to have a policy against using, and determined the value accordingly :O
Guess what. I didn't buy Kingdoms of Amalur on day one, but when they threw in a packed of DLC I did. It turns out I can calculate how much a thing is worth to me.

Now get your little false sense of entitlement to everything you want over with. You cna have what you pay for. You can pay for what you want. You cant have what you want. I realised this when I was 5. Grow up.

I see, so what exactly is your personal limit then? 4 or 5? I see that cutting out 3 parts doesn't seem to do it quite yet cause you're arguing for it as if it's a good thing and to my amazement apparently believe it too.

Guess what, Day-1 DLC or any cut content for that matter on the day on Release is my limit, and I'm just informing people as to make their decision with better understanding about what kind of crap publishers are pulling nowadays. You seem to believe that I have some sort of magic power to stop people from doing what they want, given some responses people seem to appreciate it and you're the one crying :P
What I "pay for" is either a complete product on day one or they don't get my money, it's as simple as that, especially if they demonstrably pull shit like this and I'm rather hoping that they will realise that at some point and simply stop it like CDProjekt/Valve and other companies seem to manage and still "stay in business".
It also serves as a great way to give feedback to said publishers on their business practices. Companies usually pay for that stuff in other industries, for instance finding out why their products aren't bought or why their reputation is shit.

Btw Ill just put it out there.
I have a few years of programming exp. Just wanted to let you know.
2 years making software and hardware pumping controls at Grundfos, as well as internal testing equipment.
1 Year making and programming wind gauges for Vestas
1 Year making GPS software for Terma
And is currently working at Huset-Venture making IT-Backpacks/software/games for dyslexics and the elderly.

Saying I have no clue is... incorrect.

So, did you leave out single modules of that pumping station software to sell it to your clients afterwards for 20% of what they initially paid twice or three times? Did you say, hey... you can have this but if you want to gauge the pressure levels or reduce them you'll have to come up with more money! How did that work out for you?
Did you gouge and exploit the elderly with hidden costs and clauses in your contract because they're old and stupid anyway, how did they react when they found out?
And did you often implement totally unplanned large "last-minute" features in the final 2-3 months of development before delivery/rollout like what they're trying to sell this as?

Draech:

Im sorry you going to take into account what I said or are you going to make it up as you go? I already replied to you.

Oi it's official, using cheat codes in a game is STEALING, you have surpassed my expectations. You would certainly fit right in with the folks at the MPAA/RIAA or your local organization, you should apply!

Dexter111:

I see, so what exactly is your personal limit then? 4 or 5? I see that cutting out 3 parts doesn't seem to do it quite yet cause you're arguing for it as if it's a good thing and to my amazement apparently believe it too.

Guess what, Day-1 DLC or any cut content for that matter on the day on Release is my limit, and I'm just informing people as to make their decision with better understanding about what kind of crap publishers are pulling nowadays. You seem to believe that I have some sort of magic power to stop people from doing what they want, given some responses people seem to appreciate it and you're the one crying :P What I "pay for" is either a complete product on day one or they don't get my money, it's as simple as that, especially if they demonstrably pull shit like this and I'm rather hoping that they will realise that at some point and simply stop it like CDProjekt/Valve and other companies seem to manage.
It also serves as a great way to give feedback to said publishers on their business practices. Companies usually pay for that stuff in other industries, for instance finding out why their products aren't bought or why their reputation is shit.

You know the main difference between what you and what I am doing is?
You are going "Dont buy this!"
You do this pulling out a lot of reason why you hate it, and they should hate it accordingly.
I am going "Make a decision!"
I do so telling people to find out for themselves and make an informed decision.

The main difference being that my opinion of any said game is irrelevant to what I am preaching. Yours isn't.

So, did you leave out modules of that pumping station software to sell it to them afterwards for 20% twice of what they initially paid? Did you say, hey... you can have this but if you want to gauge the pressure levels or reduce them you'll have to come up with more money! How did that work out for you?
Did you gouge and exploit the elderly with hidden costs and clauses in your contract because they're old and stupid anyway, how did they react when they found out?

You said I had no idea. You were incorrect. I corrected you. Nothing more. You can make it about sales all you want. It wasn't. How the software is sold is irrelevant to me making it.

Dexter111:

Draech:

Oi it's official, using cheat codes in a game is STEALING, you have surpassed my expectations. You would certainly fit right in with the folks at the MPAA/RIAA

I am sorry.

I thought that they meant to sell that stuff. But if you say it is just another cheat code ill just have to take your word for it.

Anyway I am going downtown shopping. I am sure they meant to sell a lot of the stuff, but since I can just take it and leave ill just assume its a freebie.

Draech:
You know the main difference between what you and what I am doing is?
You are going "Dont buy this!"
You do this pulling out a lot of reason why you hate it, and they should hate it accordingly.
I am going "Make a decision!"
I do so telling people to find out for themselves and make an informed decision.

The main difference being that my opinion of any said game is irrelevant to what I am preaching. Yours isn't.

Nah, you're defending shit business practices and relativizing them while whiteknighting the publishers saying that they can basically do anything and nobody should get upset.
(You sound like the guy cheering for companies screwing employees and customers both because it's "fully within their rights", even when stuff like this happens as a result: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-04-free-radical-vs-the-monsters )
I was just informing to the extent of this "Day-1 DLC" in this case and you started it with:
"That is the idiocy of the whole thing. Just because it is on the disk doesn't mean it was free. It is their prerogative on how they will sell their games."

Draech:
Unlocking content might be easy in this case, but that doesn't change they wanted you to pay for it. There is the difference.

You're even arguing your point in reverse now, apparently cutting out content on purpose seems fine since it's only the consumer being disadvantaged, but if they sold you a product and you make use of it to the full extent or possibilities it's apparently wrong because they "didn't mean that and actually wanted you to pay for it!".
"Sorry sir, or toaster wasn't meant for grilling so don't use it for that, that grill function was a mistake. Buy our brand new grill!"
You're basically saying that corporations should have all the rights while consumers should have none beyond "pay and shut up".
Boy, are you a corporate apologist...

Haha, if the devs/pubs are too lazy or incompetent to properly protect their IP, then I can't say I blame players for taking advantage.

To all large publishers, please continue to release complete on-disk "DLC". It is clearly a very smart business decision...

What the fuck? When are developers going to grow up and just raise new game prices to $80? All this cloak and dagger shit is just hurting both sides. You be honest with us, devs and we'll tell you if you're worth the price.

Example (RE5 release)
Capcom- Greetings witless drones- err, customers. We're here to announce the release of Resident Evil 5.... Oh, and it will be $85.
Witless Drone #1- What the fuck?
Witless Drone #2- Why?
Capcom- Well, you see, we added 2 more "episodes" to the game that we feel doesn't really have anything to do with the main story-
Witless Drone #1- Then why the fuck is it doing there in the first place?
Capcom-but it's still part of the game, along with a few other costumes that we've already made and we figured the price for all of this "extra on-disk content" was worth around $15.
Witless Drone #1- Can't I just buy the normal game for $60?
Capcom- Sure, but then you wouldn't have the whole experience.
Witless Drone #1- But you said-
Capcom- TAKING ALL SALES! RE5 FOR $85! YOU WON'T SEE DEALS LIKE THIS ANYWHERE ELSE!
Witless Drone #1- I don't know why I bother, I'm going back to handhelds until all this shit blows over.
Witless Drone #2- I'm not sure why you're complaining. It's their right as a company and you obviously don't understand the intricate inner workings of a mega-corperation like Capcom.
Capcom- GETCHA GAME HERE! GETCHA GAME! GETCHA GAME, SIR!
Witless Drone #2- I am so glad that Capcom aren't the minimalistic, greedy, fan-riding douchebags that everyone thinks they are!
Witless Drone #1- ...At least this is better than having all that "extra" stuff on the disk and not telling us about it and charging us more for it that we originally thought we'd have to pay. Now that I know, I know it's probably not worth it.
Witless Drone #2- What the fuck are you talking about? $85 ALL THE WAY!

Dexter111 wins.
Draech... you need to go back and read this thread objectively, bro. You are so wrong it hurts my feelings to watch you pound yourself like this. Just sayin'

And one last quick thought.

Where have gone the good old days of gaming when one could buy a software title and know that what was on the disk was it. There would be no patches, no new content, no nothing. Just the game. All of it.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here