Risen 2 - All DLC unlockable using console

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Adam Jensen:
Hey, as long as they keep doing it, we'll keep finding ways of unlocking it. Go ahead, give us your DLC for free you fuckin' morons.

captcha: plus or minus

Well it's obviously a plus!

Fat_Hippo:
Yeah, it's too bad our console brothers can't do the same thing, because that would surely stop these greedy shenanigans.

Didn't someone find a way to unlock all DLC characters for Street Fighter X Tekken?

Hmm, I didn't hear about that, but I'm guessing that you needed a hacked console for this to work, and most people who own gaming consoles aren't going to hack it. Whereas anyone who can follow instructions should be able to unlock the content in Risen 2 without a problem. Still, it's cool that they've figured out how to unlock that kind of stuff on the 360 and the PS3 too.

And the missing voice files will be available on torrents and warez anyway, resulting in 100% free unlock of Disc-locked Content.

Nice, serves the douchebags right.

Greg Waller:
Dexter111 wins.
Draech... you need to go back and read this thread objectively, bro. You are so wrong it hurts my feelings to watch you pound yourself like this. Just sayin'

And one last quick thought.

Where have gone the good old days of gaming when one could buy a software title and know that what was on the disk was it. There would be no patches, no new content, no nothing. Just the game. All of it.

But but... he has a KITTEN as profile pic D:

OT: This is just one of the reasons i prefer expansion packs. And i hope that EA and Activison dont get any ideas...

well this confirms the bullcrap that most people suspected from the game industry...

Dexter111:

Draech:
You know the main difference between what you and what I am doing is?
You are going "Dont buy this!"
You do this pulling out a lot of reason why you hate it, and they should hate it accordingly.
I am going "Make a decision!"
I do so telling people to find out for themselves and make an informed decision.

The main difference being that my opinion of any said game is irrelevant to what I am preaching. Yours isn't.

Nah, you're defending shit business practices and relativizing them while whiteknighting the publishers saying that they can basically do anything and nobody should get upset.
(You sound like the guy cheering for companies screwing employees and customers both because it's "fully within their rights", even when stuff like this happens: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-04-free-radical-vs-the-monsters )
I was just informing to the extent of this "Day-1 DLC" in this case and you started it with:
"That is the idiocy of the whole thing. Just because it is on the disk doesn't mean it was free. It is their prerogative on how they will sell their games."

Draech:
Unlocking content might be easy in this case, but that doesn't change they wanted you to pay for it. There is the difference.

You're even arguing your point in reverse now, apparently cutting out content on purpose seems fine since it's only the consumer being disadvantaged, but if they sold you a product and you make use of it to the full extent or possibilities it's apparently wrong because they "didn't mean that and actually wanted you to pay for it!".
"Sorry sir, or toaster wasn't meant for grilling so don't use it for that. Buy our brand new grill!"
Boy, are you a corporate apologist...

Yeah and you are entitled child with no real concept of reality.

See I can waste your time by name calling as well.

But you make it painfully obvious that I am wasting my time trying to reason with you.

Fact is you can sell your house without your furniture in. You can rent a room and pay extra for cable.

Key to this is being able to look at what is sold and the price tag. That you insist that when you rent a room the cable should be included doesn't change it isn't your choice. It is the hotels. Just like it is the publishers choice to decide what they sell and how. You dont get to say "1 price for everything". It is not your right to do so.

You believe your right stretches beyond the rights of others. You believe me a "corporate apologist" for having my own sense of value rather than having yours. I dont not want to change your mind about the value of the game in question, yet you want me to change my mind.

Anyway keep doing your fight. Ill buy games that I think are worth my money. Ill pay for dlc that I think is worth my money. And I will at no point will I insist that I have the right to tell anyone how they do should do their business. Even if I am their customer. I was only their customer if I didn't think I was getting cheated.

Wow that's pretty awesome, guess that will show companys not to use disk locked DLC, but they'll probably just ignore it like they always do

Greg Waller:
Dexter111 wins.
Draech... you need to go back and read this thread objectively, bro. You are so wrong it hurts my feelings to watch you pound yourself like this. Just sayin'

Where have gone the good old days of gaming when one could buy a software title and know that what was on the disk was it. There would be no patches, no new content, no nothing. Just the game. All of it.

please point out where.

If you call me on an error then quote me or dont point it out.

So far I have found my logic to be sound. If this is false then I would like to correct that. Point out where I am an error.

well thats nice, free stuff, you know normally id say this is wrong but if they honestly let you unlock this stuff easily from within the game without paying then, meh.

or hell maybe they wanted us to do this so we could get the content and they're publisher would be happy.

Draech:
snip

i just wanna thank you, i just woke up you see and every thing you said has been funny in that 'how can some one be this wrong' kinda way :D

also, that button combination, was the Konami code, a cheat code that was built in to a TON of Konami games back in the day (8 and 16 bit)

learn some history there bro, cause you sounded really dumb when you called using it theft

Draech:

Fact is you can sell your house without your furniture in. You can rent a room and pay extra for cable.

But the difference is that they are selling you a house with furniture in it, then telling you to pay to use it.

Lunar Templar:

Draech:
snip

i just wanna thank you, i just woke up you see and every thing you said has been funny in that 'how can some one be this wrong' kinda way :D

also, that button combination, was the Konami code, a cheat code that was built in to a TON of Konami games back in the day (8 and 16 bit)

learn some history there bro, cause you sounded really dumb when you called using it theft

What you are telling me is that the developers never meant to sell the DLC?

I mean if it is a cheat code, then it is a feature.
But if it is meant to be paid for it is hacking.

I didn't actually know that the Konami code was a fluke. Still doesn't change that the developers didn't try to sell extra lives on the home console versions. There is a reason the Konami code didn't work in the arcades where you paid for lives.

Woodsey:
Hahahahahahahahahaha.

That is all.

Not quite. I mean really, if you insist on this DLC nonsense, at least bother with the pretence of it being something you created after the game was released. We buy a copy of the files, we get access to all of them. I am particularly arse-y and moralistic about piracy, but this is just a farce.

Perfect analogy: there's a side-mission in Human Revolution where you have to get some information from this informant. After he's told you everything, he then demands payment. I think Jensen's response is to laugh at him, too.

Yep, and it's the option I always take.

Also, I agree. This situation is goddamn hilarious.

Draech:
Anyway keep doing your fight. Ill buy games that I think are worth my money. Ill pay for dlc that I think is worth my money. And I will at no point will I insist that I have the right to tell anyone how they do should do their business. Even if I am their customer. I was only their customer if I didn't think I was getting cheated.

So if you do feel like they're cheating you (or that they have cheated you), what exactly do you do? Bury your head in the sand and hope it goes away?
You know things like warranties, product exchange, labour law, paid holidays and every other right that you have as either a consumer, an employee or an individual are things that a group of other individuals put their foot down over at some point in human history and changed or wrote into laws. Nobody was born unto this world with perpetual rights or wisdom.
You might call it "entitlement" for whatever bull-headed reason you might have, I'd call it consumer rights.

I understand that them as companies are trying to push for as much profit as possible at the least expense imagineable while trying to ignore the rights of consumers as far as they can get away with, but you're not supposed to help them do so but steer against it.
You're arguing or to use your word "fighting" for the wrong side and it boggles my mind as to why... if your wish becomes true the practices they are using will only get worse (like they have for the last 10 years for instance) and will "inconvenience" you as much as they do everyone else.

I seriously can't wrap my mind around how you could defend on disc DLC.
I'll just leave before I go green.

Eh, they're giving all of the DLCs - except Pirate's Clothes - to the console users for that delay. Unless I read it wrong, but I'm pretty sure it said they'll be including Storm Island - which houses the Air Temple - for console users because of the delay and as an apology. They should also already be getting Treasure Isle as a reward for buying it new... then again that could easily just be for pre-ordering, too.

So they're not complete morons. With any luck at all they'll release Storm Island for free and they'll do it now instead of continuing their plan of waiting a few weeks to sell it. The fact they'd even make a DLC exclusive to an edition that's available only in select countries pisses me off - I get this way when it happens in benefit of even my own country - and was something I hadn't known about until after I pre-purchased. No skin off my nose though, I used a voucher to get ten dollars off through Green Man Gaming along with the Treasure Isle DLC being free. So I'm good to go should they release Storm Island any time soon.

The chances of this, however, are slim as the people that spent quite the sum on the Steelbeard's Edition will feel betrayed. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Still, I hope Deep Silver learns from this and won't pressure Piranha Bytes or any other developer of theirs to do this again.

Draech:

Lunar Templar:

Draech:
snip

What you are telling me is that the developers never meant to sell the DLC?

I mean if it is a cheat code, then it is a feature.
But if it is meant to be paid for it is hacking.

I didn't actually know that the Konami code was a fluke. Still doesn't change that the developers didn't try to sell extra lives on the home console versions. There is a reason the Konami code didn't work in the arcades where you paid for lives.

its doesn't JUST give lives, the effect changes depending on what game it's used on. like in Gradius, its a full power up code (and its an ass aver in those really shitty spots)

anyway, it was in use mostly during the SNES and NES era, -.- so the couldn't sell it.(again, learn some history)

as to the disk locked content, bit. whether it theft or not is moot to me, as i grew up in the generations of games where release WHOLE, no DLC, not blatant cash grab attempts, so the fact that they keep pulling this shit grates on my nerves.

it is a vile practice born solely of greed, and contempt for the player base, and it should be fought, and if that means hacking the game to see if its the DLC is on the disk, then so be it.

and YOUR defending it.

Draech:

The difference is that a cheat is a feature added purposely by the developer and this isn't. This was content meant to be sold.

So, if (for instance) an area in a game is DLC, and you can walk to that area and access all the content without buying that DLC, are you a scurvy pirate, or are the developers just shitty programmers who accidentally gave you free DLC?

When I buy a game from a store, I should have the right to do just about whatever I want with it. Whether that's just playing the game normally, putting mods on it, using the disk as a coaster, or digging into the files to access content they put on the disk. I paid for the disk, I should be able to use everything that's on it.

In fact, the only thing that I shouldn't have the right to do is copy it in a way that I don't have permission to, such as burning the files for a friend or posting them on the internet for anybody to download.

I, personally, applaud the people that were able to access the DLC, and hope more things like this happen in the future.

Dexter111:

Draech:

So if you do feel like they're cheating you (or that they have cheated you), what exactly do you do? Bury your head in the sand and hope it goes away?
You know things like warranties, product exchange, labour law, paid holidays and every other right that you have as either a consumer, an employee or an individual are things that a group of other individuals put their foot down over at some point in human history and changed or wrote into laws. Nobody was born unto this world with perpetual rights or wisdom.
You might call it "entitlement" for whatever bull-headed reason you might have, I'd call it consumer rights.

I understand that them as companies are trying to push for as much profit as possible at the least expense imagineable while trying to ignore the rights of consumers as far as they can get away with, but you're not supposed to help them do so.
You're arguing or to use your word "fighting" for the wrong side and it boggles my mind as to why... if your wish becomes true the practices they are using will only get worse (like they have for the last 10 years for instance).

No dex.

Ill just not buy their games.

Now you could argue that if they provide false information so I buy their games under false pretence. Then ofc I would complain. I arm myself information and make my purchase according to that information processes through the lens of my own values. If I am purposely fed false information then it becomes impossible and I am going to want my money back.

Now before you take that as this current game ill make an example to explain the difference.

Marvel VS Capcom made a lot of trailers showing paid chars as ingame chars without telling me these chars were paid optionals. Essentially selling extra material as standard.
Not Ok

Risen 2 didn't show me features I havn't seen in the standard part of the game. And made clear what was paid DLC. Making a clear divide between extra and standard.
Ok

Now I think your Idea of consumer rights is stretching a bit to far right there.
All of the rights you related to protecting you from being sold a faulty product or preventing the seller from promising something that the product cannot do.

Again I am all pro here. There needs repercussions for those who try to take advantage of others.

However I do think that your interpretation stretches further than they should.

For example.
Your believe that they cannot cut things from the game to sell it separately. I dont think you have the right to deny them doing that. If you are fully informed of the deal then you have the right to say no. Not the right to make them change the deal. If anyone else see the same deal as you and dont feel cheated they then both buy and seller can work something out there. My opinion of said product is still irrelevant to that. If I liked it I bought it. I am not preaching "buy it". Nor am I preaching "dont buy it". I am preaching "Find out". If a large enough part of the market agree with you then the seller will have to rethink this to make a sale.

Now you go all union on me with the right subject and again I am pro Union, but you still need a full picture. Its not black and white.

Since you bring out the example of paid holidays ill show you something in the opposite direction.
When we here in Denmark had a change of government from Red to Blue a few years back there were a few changes to how the government handled support for individual businesses when it came to having a student (not sure what the english word is, working education). It is kind of a costly affair because there are a lot of jobs he cannot do (union made it safer for the new guys more or less) and he still needs to be paid while learning. It is an inefficient worker really. Therefore the government supports the business by paying for some of the student salaries allowing the companies to help educate and thereby increase the workforce.
Now some of that was cut when we had a government change. Not a lot just a little. However at the same time the different unions forced a deal to make the companies raise the salaries of their students (not by much and still a lot less than what you got when you were educated).
Now the end result was that a lot of students were unable to find a place to finish their education because the companies no longer could afford the previous amount students.

Bigger picture as you see. I am trying to arm myself with as much info to make my decisions on as possible. Anyway gotta cut it short gonna go watch avengers. i might edit this later.

So..

You preorder the game, by doing this you get a "free" DLC.

How free this DLC is, is debatable given the game cost £10 more than most new PC releases, even cost £5 more than MW3.

Game arrives, with future DLC content hidden away in the files.

There comes a point when practices like this, are unacceptable. DLCs are supposed to be the expansion packs of this day and age, adding new content to your game. It fails by definition to expand with new content, if it is already there from the start.

Draech is no less entitled to his opinion than anybody else, however he has freely admitted working in the software industry and thus has a biased interest, so perhaps his comments should be taken with a pinch of salt rather than trying to fight with him over it.

This entire flame war and not a single joke about piracy.

C'mon guys. RISEN! It's about pirates. Do I have to draw you a map?

Greg Waller:
Dexter111 wins.

In theory, DLC is amazing.

"Hey, you loved this game, right? Well, after it went out, we went ahead and made more content for you to play through, so you can play the game more, and love it all the more!"

Companies just managed to screw all that up, is all.

Honestly, the DLC isn't even that good. I'm about halfway through the whole Eldric thing and it's just killing gargoyles. A LOT of gargoyles. Kind of wish they had included the audio on the disk as well, though :/

Well guess this game is a no buy for me. Shame it looked decently promising.

Kahunaburger:
Hahahahaha that's beautiful. Apparently "on-disc DLC" is rapidly coming to mean "free DLC."

As borderline piracy as this is (and aware of the associated ramifications on this site) I really hope that this becomes the case. That as soon as any developer puts on disc dlc in the game its cracked and they lose every penny they would've earned through selling it.

I think I've bought into day-one DLC once before. Honestly, the more I think about it the less I like it. If most of it is already on the disc I shouldn't have to pay to unlock it. I've done a good thing by the company to buy a game when it's new (which usually means it's at its most expensive) and in doing so I want to feel like I have the entirety of the experience available to me. It feels less like I have a whole game and more that I have most of it when content is locked away from me so early on. Even if the DLC is mostly finished and just needs a bit to it (like the sound files in this example) I don't see why it couldn't be provided as free DLC. (Which I imagine would entice more people to get into it early)

Nowadays if I hear a game requires me to pay extra on top of the 'new game price' to get the whole experience I just don't buy it. If I really want it, I'll wait till it hits the bargain bin (which may or may not mean it'll be a used copy).

I prefer it when DLC is used to extend the life of the game over the long-term, short-term cash grabs like this can sour the experience for me.

BathorysGraveland:
I haven't yet played the game (but I will, regardless of bullshit) but I've been a fan of Pirahna Bytes for quite some time now and... well, I didn't really expect them to pull some shit like this. It's a little disappointing to be honest, but oh well.

They have been quoted as saying in no uncertain terms that it was the publisher's decision and they had no choice.

LavaLampBamboo:

Yes. Preferably with a dotted trail leading to a big "X" that has "booty" right above it.

Fat_Hippo:

Kahunaburger:
Hahahahaha that's beautiful. Apparently "on-disc DLC" is rapidly coming to mean "free DLC."

Yeah, it's too bad our console brothers can't do the same thing, because that would surely stop these greedy shenanigans.

They opted into it, so I can't feel sorry for them. There are actually those who WANT to pay for the "convenience" and are ignorant to these kinds of things.

Also, is this going to get patched? I doubt it will last long but I have this feeling that they'll try and stop people from getting this.

Also since it's being argued: Locking content in a game you paid full price for under the condition of paying more money is criminal. If you bought the game and the content is available, people shouldn't have to pay for it because, technically, they already did. So I fully support my PC gamer brethren in this.

kyosai7:

Greg Waller:
Dexter111 wins.

In theory, DLC is amazing.

"Hey, you loved this game, right? Well, after it went out, we went ahead and made more content for you to play through, so you can play the game more, and love it all the more!"

To which the consumer replies "Bullshit! You're lying! You made this content before release and cut it out with the intent to screw us out of more money! You're evil!"

LavaLampBamboo:

You're not exactly a badass pirate if the devs left their car windows rolled down with a brick of cash on the passenger seat.

Zachary Amaranth:

Dexter111:

So there goes any doubt that the DLCs weren't "cut out" from the game.

Buuuut it won't stop people from arguing the point.

Of course not, we live in the days of viral marketing. Companies admit to hiring people to talk up their products and defend their policies and practices within communities like message boards and web sites. We've even had Viral Marketers come out and tell us all about it.

I'd keep track of people who defend policies like this, chances are they are industry shills and it's a sign you should take what they say with a grain of salt in general. Doubtlessly not every defender of this is one, but I'd imagine most people are, as it takes a very special kind of person to defend a company's right to cheat them. :)

Fr]anc[is:

LavaLampBamboo:

You're not exactly a badass pirate if the devs left their car windows rolled down with a brick of cash on the passenger seat.

So-so in this case as you'd have to know how to access that console, which doesn't seem like it would be obvious without someone having to initially go into the game's code.

Also if I saw a brick of cash in a car with the window rolled down I'd think "entrapment". I used to set/work with traps like that working at the casino. If we say suspected an employee of stealing meat, supplies, money, or just snatching from customers (unattended coin buckets or chips, etc...) we'd provide oppertunities and make sure we had a camera covertly in position.

If you see something like that and snatch it despite the probably intent, and get away with it one way or another... then you arrrrr a Badarse pirate! :)

In this context I have been waiting for the industry to set up something like this and then use tracking software to have a bunch of the people who take advantage of it arrested. It would be tough to pull off, but I'd imagine someone is thinking about the idea. The trick is to get law enforcement to take it seriously.

"Insane" perhaps, but understand that with increasing numbers of games requiring always on DRM or running through services like STEAM, and their abillity to track the # of kills, what weapons people use, and similar things, it's only a matter of time before they track who is getting into the code (especially if they are sloppy) or using dev consoles, and what they do with that. Sure some people will get away with it regardless, but your average code delver or guy using a dev console might not catch it.

Draech:

Kahunaburger:

Draech:

Smash+grap+run= not stealing according to Kahunaburger.

I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to argue with this analogy - please elaborate.

My point is that considering that the "DL"C is content you can access in-game by using part of the game, the argument that it's piracy because it's "not content they sold to the player" holds about as much water as saying that extra lives in Contra are piracy because they're "not content they sold to the player."

The difference is that a cheat is a feature added purposely by the developer and this isn't. This was content meant to be sold. How easy it is to do is besides the point. Its easy to do a smash and grap from a convenience store, but that doesn't mean they didn't want you to pay for it.

Unlocking content might be easy in this case, but that doesn't change they wanted you to pay for it. There is the difference.

Or are you going to tell me they meant to do this?

They could well have considering

please direct all complaints about marketing and sales decisions to the place where they have to go to - our publisher Deep Silver that is. We do not set prices, timings or bundle decisions (never did and probably never will).

Regards, Michael Rüve

although it's highly unlikely. And by the way, I agree, this is definitely piracy. Whether or not day one dlc is right or wrong this is piracy.

LOL @ defense bots for greedy corporations.

Keep lovin' them developers while publishers ream you.

I really want this game, but have to admit this is embarrassingly stupid of them.

Chairman Miaow:
Although it's highly unlikely. And by the way, I agree, this is definitely piracy. Whether or not day one dlc is right or wrong this is piracy.

First of all: This is piracy.

I don't see this as stealing or copyright infringement. It's a manufacturing error. They shipped the game with the "extras" easily unlockable. The blame is on them, not the consumer

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked