Game Request (Also List of Games) [PC]

Hello Fellow Escapists!

I have currently expended my long list of games, most recently Fallout: NV. I am having trouble finding a game with these specifications:

NOTE: [PC] ONLY

* Open World/Sandbox
* Role Playing elements (optional)
* First or Third Person
* Survival Elements (e.g S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Fallout, Metro 2033)
* Moddable (optional)
* Modern[ish] setting (optional)
* Singleplayer (preferably)

I already own, and have played:

1) ALL of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series
2) ALL of the Fallout series
3) Minecraft
4) Metro 2033
5) Project Zomboid
6) Soldner
7) Brain Bread
8) ALL of the Half Life series and expansions
9) White Gold: War in Paradise (and other games in series)
10) The FarCrys
11) EVERY Battlefield game and mod!
12) Diablo series
13) Left 4 Dead series
15) Call of Booty Zombie series :P
16) Deer Hunter series
17) Mass Effect Series
18) Resident Evil series
19) Silent Hill series
20) Grand Theft Auto Series + Mods
21) Borderlands

I have stretched the list quite far

I have most likely forgotten a few games

Note: Games can be mods, indev, Beta, F2P and NON-AA [PC ONLY]

EDIT:
I realized I missed not just a few games!
22) Dwarf Fortress
23) Elder Scrolls series from Dagger fall
24) DeusEx Series
25) Terraria

I do not mind some alternative ages and such, it's just listing my playlist would be a task that would be very time consuming!

Well this sucks, it seems to have been lost in the forums.. :(

You could (read should) give the Risen series a try. Also to some degree Terraria.

Wow... very specific. Unfortunately, the Open World-Survival-RPG-FPS/TPS isn't exactly plentiful.

I can recommend some games, but they are Old and most likely not modern in setting.

1: System Shock 2: Singleplayer FPS/RPG with survival elements (ammo conservation, health management and some other tropes from the survival genre... but not strictly survival). It's somewhat linear, being restricted to the separate stations within a large spacecraft, but there is some freedom in that you can always backtrack to the start (to a point). It's a great game, but currently looks like ass compared to anything after 1998. There are a few beefy mods for it, if you get it I can recommend a few... but it is a bitch to get running on modern rigs (incompatibilities with multi-cores, some dislike towards Windows 7 and vista).

Highly rate this game, but you will need patience to get it working... and mods aren't really intuitive to get running either. Check this site out if you fancy looking into it: http://www.systemshock.org/

EDIT:

Alright, need more specifics. How flexible are you? Do you play RTS games? Do you like horror games? etc.

Fallen Earth

Post apocalypse setting.
Open world - the game world is huge and there are few if any artificial restrictions on where you can go.
Very solo friendly - though it's an MMO most of the content can be handled solo.
Combat uses first or third person shooter mechanics - no auto targetting so if you want to hit something you have to actually aim your guns.
Excellent crafting - you can't buy good weapons and armor and they'll seldom be handed out as quest rewards. You want them you either buy them from other players or find the materials in the game world and make them yourself.

It's not a fast paced game or focused on endgame raiding. Raids barely exist. The emphasis is on exploring the world, doing your own thing and, if you want it, PvP.

And it now has an excellent F2P model. Although a subscriber for 2 years I've played at times under the F2P restrictions and didn't feel it diminished my game experience at all. The cash shop sells luxuries, cosmetic items and conveniences only - no weapons or armor and nothing you'll feel 'forced' to buy to enjoy the game.

Alcamonic:
You could (read should) give the Risen series a try.

Wasn't Risen a sequel or a spinoff or otherwise related somehow to Gothic? Well, even if I'm wrong, Gothic isn't bad - it's worth a try.

Arcanum of Steamowrks and Magick Obscura is really nice. I won't pass up the opportunity to plug it again.

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines doesn't quite cover everything on the list to 100% (not open world but hub base, for example), however, it's still a good enough game to promote.

...why is the seventh post in this thread the first one to mention The Elder Scrolls?

Morrowind and Skyrim are the best ones, and the first two are free!

flames09:

First or Third Person

That's too bad because there's such a giant 2nd person survival shooter market. :P

You might like E.Y.E its a few years old and I heard that it was very good, and I will be getting it soon for myself

sextus the crazy:

flames09:

First or Third Person

That's too bad because there's such a giant 2nd person survival shooter market. :P

2nd Person Survival is easy. You just need a friend to come over and narrate as you play a first person.

"You totally blew that zombie's head off!"
"Oh no! You didn't see the one behind you."
"You face is totally getting chewed off!"
"You're dead."

:p

flames09:
-snip-

One Game.

DWARF FORTRESS.

Why? because of Boatmurdered, thats why.

Open World, city/fortress simulator with a sadistic side.

Dwarf Fortress, Losing is Fun.

Captcha, Dog eat Dog, how......fitting.

Dead Island incorporates most of what you are looking for. Its got survival elements and you can die quite a bit on the heavier difficulty levels.

Honestly you have covered alot of the single player games for this specific genre. I'd say give Fallen Earth a try. Its solid, and has a Fallout 3 meets S.T.A.L.K.E.R vibe. Being an MMO, alot of the content can be solo'd. Or you can grab your horse and or Dune Buggy and go off in search of things to murder.

Prototype is Sandbox heavy, somewhat modern but lacks any real survivalism theme. Its fun to throw cars into helicopters before bounding away, but really it only gets hard when the mechanics of the game get in the way

I've been enjoying Saints Row 3 quite a bit. But again, its just a sandbox. A very Wacky, slap you in the face with a blow-up doll wacky. A good time, but probably not what you are looking for.

Oblivion can be modded quite a lot, and includes some more dungeons, gear, monsters, quest chains, and other cool things. However it all boils down to personal taste.

E.Y.E is fun, but not as open world as you'd probably like. Plus it really isn't technically survival-ish, its a great cyber-punk game though, and after awhile you really get some awesome abilities and weapons. Hope i helped

SirBryghtside:
...why is the seventh post in this thread the first one to mention The Elder Scrolls?

Because it's not a modern setting...also because with the requirements in the OP I just assumed TC had played them but looking at it now, the ES games aren't listed in the played section.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Deus Ex and Human Revolution. Both are similar in many ways.

* Open World/Sandbox
It's not a sandbox, but many of the hub areas are very welcoming of exploration and discovery.

* Role Playing elements (optional)
Yes, very. Story is the main focus. The only drawback is that it can get bogged down in its own self-preachiness such that even minor NPCs would love to discuss politics with you in length.

* First or Third Person
First Person

* Survival Elements (e.g S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Fallout, Metro 2033)
Not really

* Moddable (optional)
Some for DX1

* Modern[ish] setting (optional)
Very Near-future.

* Singleplayer (preferably)
Yes

Remember that Deus Ex 1 and HR are quite PC games in many ways.
Many of the games you listed are less 'open world' than Deus Ex, and many are less 'survival' than Deus Ex.

Just avoid Deus Ex 2: Invisible War. It's okay, but somewhat a disgraceful title to have the name.

EYE is the only one that springs to mind although the lore in that is a mish mash of different ideas ripped off from a variety of sources.

Beyond whats already been mentioned....

Dead Rising maybe?

Wasteland.

Also I've thought about Arcanum as soon as I've read the specifications though that is an RPG through and through. Not exactly modern but steampunkish. Not survival however. It's worth at least a look.

Gone straight through Terraria, loved it.

Will look into Risen though

Many Have told me of System Shock, never had the opportunity to buy it, I will definitely look into it though!

Tried DF, got absolutely stumped after a few hours though!

Finished the DeusEx Series through and through!

Had a look at Fallen Earth a while back, but isn't it subscription based? Like Wurm online

janjotat:
You might like E.Y.E its a few years old and I heard that it was very good, and I will be getting it soon for myself

I googled 'EYE' but it came up with irrelevant results, is there a link I could get to look into? I have never heard of it, therefore I am very interested!

Oh and Dead rising for me has been played to death along with Dead Island!

Man, I have missed quite a few games! My list and boxes of the mare far to big to list them all!

flames09:

janjotat:

I googled 'EYE' but it came up with irrelevant results, is there a link I could get to look into? I have never heard of it, therefore I am very interested!

He was probably talking about this http://eye.streumon-studio.com/

Also, maybe not the type of game you're looking for, but SPAZ(Space Pirates And Zombies) is a game that I've been recently playing a lot. Also the Mount&Blade series, especially Warband

OP has a distinct lack of Gothic 1 & 2.

One suggestion nobody else is gonna say is the DayZ mod for Arma 2.

* Open World/Sandbox - Takes place on a huge island, 250 square kilometers.

* Role Playing elements - Not many RPG elements like standard stats, but you do manage your inventory.

* First or Third Person - Mostly first person, but third person is always available.

* Survival Elements - Pretty much the whole point is to survive. You have to eat and drink, scavenge towns for supplies, build fires, etc. Your character's items are saved on a master server and lets you continue with them later, but death is permanent and you're given a new character if you die. The zombies are a definite threat, but the players often can't be trusted either. You need a group to survive, but sometimes a large group can take too many resources and a good way to get supplies is to steal them off another player's fresh corpse.

* Moddable - It is a mod, so yes :P

* Modern[ish] setting - Modern setting.

* Singleplayer - Ermmm, it's not singleplayer. Not only that, but it can be very dangerous as players are allowed to kill each other at any time so if you meet someone there's no telling if they'll be friendly or not. That said, you could just try to avoid everyone.

It feels very similar to what an online version of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. would feel like. Huge, immersive, tense, there are aspects of DayZ that you simply cannot get in any other game.

If you dont mind it being old, multiplayer only and discontinued.

Then I'll suggest Zombie Master (HL2 mod).
Its for up to 16 players, 15 of them are 'Survivors' who has to do the map objectives and one lucky/unlucky guy is the Zombie Master.

One of the default maps is at an abandoned ship container depot (Or such) and the survivors have to collect parts for the broken truck (2 wheels, 2 gasoline canisters and a car battery), bring it to the truck and then defend it for 3 minutes.

The Zombie Master however has to summon and control an army of zombies to kill the survivors (Or if failing that, destroy the truck) however he also has map-specific traps to use, like getting lightning to strike the tower containing the winchester rifle, dropping containers, unleashing zombies from inside the containers.

Its well worth a gander and its free.

flames09:
Had a look at Fallen Earth a while back, but isn't it subscription based? Like Wurm online

Fallen Earth went F2P late last year. There are still sub-based options, but there are very few restrictions on free players.

Breadline:

The fact that you linked a video by CHKilroy makes you an awesome person. This man needs more viewers.

And yes, I agree with my fellow ArmA player. DayZ the best zombie anything I've seen since Project Zomboid.

flames09:

janjotat:

I was referring to this one http://eye.streumon-studio.com/ and you can find it on steam here http://store.steampowered.com/app/91700/

Edit: I forgot to mention before you might like arma 2 (f2p now) and you can use the zombie mod that might be up your alley too

Why not play the best RPG game ever made? (Flame shield up) DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS. (I'd recommend the Pathfinder version)

I can think of a few good titles...

Ratchet & Clank isn't a sandbox series, though, the maps are pretty wide open. It combines platforming with shooting, and does it pretty dang well.

Jak and Daxter is somewhat similar, but, even heavier on the openness and platforming.

Sly Cooper, I don't know a whole lot about, but, it seems reminiscent of the above two. Though, there's less focus on combat or more on stealth.

inFAMOUS is a series of sandbox games where you've got electric-based super powers, and you get to decide if you're going to be the hero or the villain.

[Prototype] is also a super-powered sandbox game, though, it has more in common with Assassins Creed and Grand Theft Auto, and it's a bit darker.

Crysis is an open-world first-person shooter series, maybe, something like Far Cry. (I haven't played either of these, just yet, ok?)

Batman: Arkham Asylum and it's sequel, Arkham City are all kinds of awesome. The latter is also a sandbox game.

Frogger from 1997 was an awesome throwback to the 1981 classic. It also featured open-world levels.

Red Dead is an interesting series (though, most people only know of the new Redemption installment) of coyboy sandboxness.

Finally, there's Serious Sam. "Why?" Because, of this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTbwOukQlDY

Breadline:
One suggestion nobody else is gonna say is the DayZ mod for Arma 2.

Ah ARMA 2, have all the Bohemia Interactive! and modded them to hell.

I gave this mod a try but it was impossible to find friendly people to play with! My mike was out for the week I tried and and people just absoloutley hated on me and did not bother co-operating :/

I really want to try it but single player take my PC for a real run around due to the AI count

Stravant:
Why not play the best RPG game ever made? (Flame shield up) DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS. (I'd recommend the Pathfinder version)

omfg does it have DX11 and the cryengine!!!!!!

XD

Lugbzurg:
I can think of a few good titles...

Ratchet & Clank isn't a sandbox series, though, the maps are pretty wide open. It combines platforming with shooting, and does it pretty dang well.

Jak and Daxter is somewhat similar, but, even heavier on the openness and platforming.

Sly Cooper, I don't know a whole lot about, but, it seems reminiscent of the above two. Though, there's less focus on combat or more on stealth.

inFAMOUS is a series of sandbox games where you've got electric-based super powers, and you get to decide if you're going to be the hero or the villain.

[Prototype] is also a super-powered sandbox game, though, it has more in common with Assassins Creed and Grand Theft Auto, and it's a bit darker.

Crysis is an open-world first-person shooter series, maybe, something like Far Cry. (I haven't played either of these, just yet, ok?)

Batman: Arkham Asylum and it's sequel, Arkham City are all kinds of awesome. The latter is also a sandbox game.

Frogger from 1997 was an awesome throwback to the 1981 classic. It also featured open-world levels.

Red Dead is an interesting series (though, most people only know of the new Redemption installment) of coyboy sandboxness.

Finally, there's Serious Sam. "Why?" Because, of this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTbwOukQlDY

I have been through most of these games except for, Prototype which I am finishing atm and Batman. I never really got into batman because.. well I just was never in Mr. Wayne and the universe, it maybe cruel but I prefer the merciless slaughter of NPC's using weapons :) Non'lethal just aint my style XD

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked