4.5% (17)
4.5% (17)
Other.
2.4% (9)
2.4% (9)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Hatred Towards Roleplaying

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

As far as Tabletop roleplaying goes, it's only fun when your GM isn't incompetent or an asshole. makes it kinda difficult for me, since my GM is both of those things while at the same time my best friend tripping over his own inflated ego (Our last game culminates in his first time GMing Pathfinder, which he heavily modified without telling us first, added a Dark Heresy-esque system of punishment for Casters and Psionics without changing the core spells/abilities to make the risks worth it)

The worst part is that I LOVE playing the caster types, so when I lose at least 1 character per two sessions to his fucking bullshit and then call him out on it, and then he completely ignores my complaints OR advice (considering I've been the groups SOLE GM for the past two years) It just kills my mood to roleplay, i'd rather munchkin the hell outta my next characters and ruin his game.

FelixG:

Owyn_Merrilin:

FelixG:

I personally love some of the Sword of the Stars and Aurora (both 4x games) roleplays.

I have written a few of my own from where my little fledgling planet went from earth circa 2000 to an interstellar empire, then was crushed back to sol by an alien race before slowly fighting their way back to dominance.

if done right it can read like a good book with main characters popping up in the game (Aurora has all of your ship captains and ground commanders have names)

Playing these kinds of games (which at times can seem like spreadsheet simulators, particularly aurora) can get quite dull unless you have an active imagination and think about the happenings in a greater context.

It was 4X games I was mainly thinking about when I made the footnote; it's always kind of interesting to see a good after action report. The difference for me is that writing down a characterized version of a 4X session is a neat little creative writing exercise, while just doing it all in your head is... well, odd. Also, I completely get what you're saying about them being spreadsheets: the game. Ever play Space Empires V? It's the most spreadsheet-y 4X game I've ever played, and one of the best.

Hm, never heard of that one, will have to pick it up on Steam when I get home come monday.

If you are fan of 4x games you should check out Aurora, it is the dwarf fort of space based 4x games. It has very, very limited graphics, but the pure amount of options is astounding.

Though I have to disagree with the coming up with the stuff in your head is strange part, I would never have thought to write it down if I first hadnt come up with the stories and adventures of my officers in my head first. I am still rather depressed that the save game and the stories I had written for them imploded with my flashdrive :(

Fair warning about SEV; it uses an old version of direct X that doesn't play nice with Windows 7. It'll work, but modern versions of Windows emulate most of the features in software, which means it's a pain in the butt to get a decent framerate, even on a relatively fast computer. I've heard some good things about SEIV, which had most of the same features but was done in 2D, and ironically works better with modern versions of windows as a result. I got my copy for a couple of TF2 items thanks to a friend of mine getting it from the last Christmas promotion on Steam but not wanting it.

Moving on, when you say Aurora is like the Dwarf Fort of 4X games, does that mean it's some sort of freeware? The way you're describing it reminds me of Anacreon, which is this really early ASCII based 4X game from the 80's, with all sorts of cool features that aren't common today. The original developer released a couple of freeware ports to modern systems in the early 2000's, which is why I know about it. Space Empires is closer to Anacreon than it is Civilization, and it would be interesting to find another 4X in that vein; most of the other ones I've seen really ape Civ.

As for the roleplaying thing, like I said in my edit, what you're describing with kind of characterizing the emergent narrative of the game isn't what weirds me out; it's people who do the kind of thing dyre and I were talking about earlier in the thread, but in a singleplayer game without any sort of audience that really weirds me out.

Owyn_Merrilin:

FelixG:

Owyn_Merrilin:

It was 4X games I was mainly thinking about when I made the footnote; it's always kind of interesting to see a good after action report. The difference for me is that writing down a characterized version of a 4X session is a neat little creative writing exercise, while just doing it all in your head is... well, odd. Also, I completely get what you're saying about them being spreadsheets: the game. Ever play Space Empires V? It's the most spreadsheet-y 4X game I've ever played, and one of the best.

Hm, never heard of that one, will have to pick it up on Steam when I get home come monday.

If you are fan of 4x games you should check out Aurora, it is the dwarf fort of space based 4x games. It has very, very limited graphics, but the pure amount of options is astounding.

Though I have to disagree with the coming up with the stuff in your head is strange part, I would never have thought to write it down if I first hadnt come up with the stories and adventures of my officers in my head first. I am still rather depressed that the save game and the stories I had written for them imploded with my flashdrive :(

Fair warning about SEV; it uses an old version of direct X that doesn't play nice with Windows 7. It'll work, but modern versions of Windows emulate most of the features in software, which means it's a pain in the butt to get a decent framerate, even on a relatively fast computer. I've heard some good things about SEIV, which had most of the same features but was done in 2D, and ironically works better with modern versions of windows as a result. I got my copy for a couple of TF2 items thanks to a friend of mine getting it from the last Christmas promotion on Steam but not wanting it.

Moving on, when you say Aurora is like the Dwarf Fort of 4X games, does that mean it's some sort of freeware? The way you're describing it reminds me of Anacreon, which is this really early ASCII based 4X game from the 80's, with all sorts of cool features that aren't common today. The original developer released a couple of freeware ports to modern systems in the early 2000's, which is why I know about it. Space Empires is closer to Anacreon than it is Civilization, and it would be interesting to find another 4X in that vein; most of the other ones I've seen really ape Civ.

As for the roleplaying thing, like I said in my edit, what you're describing with kind of characterizing the emergent narrative of the game isn't what weirds me out; it's people who do the kind of thing dyre and I were talking about earlier in the thread, but in a singleplayer game without any sort of audience that really weirds me out.

Ahh I see, perhaps I shall still pick it up from Steam to get the deluxe SEIV copy, then wait for GOG to do a windows 7 update and release it there as well

Aurora is indeed freeware, it doesnt use ACSII graphics though, just a map with colored dots, orbits ect.

Here is a link to it http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php I have put more hours into that game alone than Mass Effect and Skyrim combined xD

And I see, makes sense now,

Sixcess:
On about half of my City of Heroes characters I've written up little origins for them in the bio section - admittedly of those most are very very tongue in cheek. Similarly in CoH I'll quite often choose my missions based on who the character would be most likely to want to fight, or throw in the odd in-character comment if I'm on Virtue (the RP server.) It can be quite fun in such a larger than life setting.

Virtue is where all the cool kids hang out.

I'm a hardcore roleplayer. Not to the point where a disagreement between my character and someone else will carry over into the real world, but I actually create elaborate backstories in my head for even my Rock Band avatars. All of my Mass Effect and Dragon Age playthroughs evoke different personalities and versions of the protagonist. Had fun playing a racist Dalish elf in Origins, though my favorite so far was my Colonist/Sole Survivor/Paragon Shepard who I played as a tragic, samurai sort of archetype. Even when I play The Sims, I end up crafting stories and personalities for every character I make, though that in particular tends to be very tongue-in-cheek.

Not sure if you're talking about RP'ing or LARP'ing. LARPing is fixing your house in Skyrim for it to look pretty, walking in cities because running is rude or the 'hardcore' mode (they have no impact on the game, quests or story). RP'ing is picking a choice with worse consequences because that's what your character would do, thus influencing the outcome of your quest (saving the obviously evil kid because you're the good guy and don't kill the defenceless, sacrificing your XP or attribute points to save someone else etc.)

I know what LARP stood for, originally, but as far as I know, the term has evolved to this at least around the gaming guys I know. I only mention it because Skyrim isn't really the RPG type ("Why yes, I will be the leader of the assassins and the leader of the honourable Companions and the archmage even though I can't even conjure up a spark")

I like RP'ing but don't LARP as much. I do have my moments.

Owyn_Merrilin:

FelixG:

Owyn_Merrilin:

Fair warning about SEV; it uses an old version of direct X that doesn't play nice with Windows 7. It'll work, but modern versions of Windows emulate most of the features in software, which means it's a pain in the butt to get a decent framerate, even on a relatively fast computer. I've heard some good things about SEIV, which had most of the same features but was done in 2D, and ironically works better with modern versions of windows as a result.

SE4 is definitely superior to SE5 in terms of UI. But then, I'm saying that as a veteran of SE4 coming to SE5 and finding things acting strangely, button in all the wrong places, and things just not working like I expected. (For example, in SE4, if you tell a colony ship to go colonize a planet, it will happily pick up population, go to the planet, and colonize. In SE5, it stupidly goes and creates an empty colony) A new player might not find SE5 as...frustrating.

Also, SE4 is portable (well, SE5 might be too, haven't tried) and runs on damn near anything. There's a guy who plays his PBW turns on an ancient 100MHz laptop running Win98, and I've run it successfully under WINE.

Back in the day of Star Wars Battlefront, I would make up a story for the guy I was playing as. Simple entertainment, it just added a little more depth.

As for RP now days, I only set up basic measures, so that my character's are different from one another. Each has a specific style of gameplay, and their skills reflect that.

I can't write the in depth back stories or create entire family lines for the one character, it feels like I'm creating fan fiction and I am not the biggest fan of that

I can not for the life of me understand why some people find roleplaying weird when some of the most known people in the world play roles. There is no difference between acting and roleplaying, it is irrational to condemn one and love the other.

When I played Mass Effect, I roleplayed:

John Shepard, the pro-alien-human unity, politically slick paragon good guy, who eventually became more angry and impatient as the Council/other races ignored him (up to ME3).
Jane Shepard, the pure soldier who has utmost loyalty to her squadmates, doesn't care about politics one bit, and expects everyone to do their job well. Tends to get angry when people risk her life or that of her crew.

Hell, when I played Dragon Age 2 and completely shot down Anders, I refused to take him on missions for a while (even though I desperately needed my "White Mage") because I thought Hawke and Anders would simply not be able to talk for a while.

So yeah, when playing games, I roleplay the hell out of them.

In regards to tabletop roleplaying, I'm mostly the GM, but I'm also THAT guy who always does the voices, acts in character, seperates character/player knowledge, will avoid taking certain things if my character wouldn't.

I do some roleplay as in i make my own little backstory for the character i create. Only do choices, quests etc which agrees with characters said personality/backstory.

Did play Wow during the burning crusade period and some of the Wrath of the lich king period. Never ventured on the RP servers so i can't really comment about that catagory.

I generally don't roleplay. The closest I came was when I played Skyrim. I started out going to the Mage guild. From there, I went to the assassin's guild (a reasonable jump given my focus on destruction/conjuration magic). My stealth magic character seemed like a perfect fit for the thieves guild. From there I went Companions and Finally Bard.

The thought was you learn magic and power and would thus be inclined to use it for evil. After a certain point, material reward seemed like reason enough. By the end of the thieves guild, atonment for my endless list of crimes seemed like a reasonable choice for a character who was not inherently evil and thus I went with the Companions. By then, I had defeated the world eater and ended a civil war so the best thing to do was to tell stories to warn others from the dark and terrible path.

Of course, in all of this, I played the metagame to no end. My Spellcaster was swinging a version of chillrend that did about 450 damage per swing (I could reasonably boost it to about 600 with potions) for much of the game and wearing heavy armor (Ebony Mail and Ebony armor) that provided protection up to the cap (in terms of damage reduction), ensured I did maximum damage with my Sword and that Destruction magic was free and Restoration nearly so and was all but immune to magic.

I actually play quite a bit of tabletop games and D&D, so it comes with the territory. But the only videogame I can get into enough to want to play a character is the Fallout series, specifically New Vegas.

I refuse to play tabletop any other way, though I'm not one to insist that my players are always in character... I'm more about the little things, I prefer them to roleplay their character's strengths and weaknesses more than their alignment and backstory. So yes, I will make you roll for very basic common sense decisions if you have 4 wisdom... but I'll also let you roleplay a half-demon lumberjack if you want to.

I don't do it that often (I usually just insert myself and my own personality into the game)...

But when I do role play, it's often really fun.

When I started playing morrowind with the intent to not give up in the first 20 minutes this time, I role played an air headed kajiit who saw everyone as friends and had no concept of personal belongings and believes that everything belongs to everyone. (to the point where I got mugged by a common highway thief, and I was like "Oh, friend just want money? Sure! Everything belong to everyone!". I also don't take ALL the loot from people.). It was REALLY fun. I didn't finish the game, but I'll get back to it soon.

I also have been role playing an evil corporate civilization in Galactic Civ 2 recently, and I've been typing up "in character" reports on what's been going on.

I tend to roleplay a little with my characters in TES games, mostly just a bit of background or something. Other than that, I don't really. I feel like a bit of a tit if I get into it too much.

I love to role play and do it in most games I play. I usually role play as a super handsome, heroic version of myself. Recently, I started playing New Vegas again and have been RPing as a contract killer/bounty hunter character who tries to start his own town.

ReadyAmyFire:
I don't. But then I mostly play sims or RTSs so it would be a bit strange. I get asked to RP in chatrooms on the seldom instance I venture into them but I just can't be bothered. I tend not to want to write a story when I'm trying to relax.

I like to RP in RTS games. I always have a unit which represents me in command of the troops.

I don't role play as I don't find it particularly fun.

I play RPG's and D&D 4E for mechanics first and foremost. First playthrough is as a stereotypical good guy, the second as the bad guy.

In D&D I don't roleplay, but I do assign my guy an alignment and adhere to that alignment when deciding on party goals.

"Hell no, that shit's weird."

Sorry, RPers, that's how I feel. I understand that it can be fun, but it just seems a bit crazy to me.

DrgoFx:
So with all that said and done...How many of you actually roleplay in your games? Like really roleplay with backstories and personalities, and maybe even talk to yourself like you're voicing your character.

I often talk to the character I'm controlling. Usually to curse them for not taking cover, or apologise if my cack-handedness gets them shot in the head...

OT: I write fiction is a hobby, so I've never felt any need to role-play. When I tell a story, I want to control everything, so I can make it the best story I can. Roleplaying games are (to me) a bit of an annoying compromise (like paint-by-numbers).

So when I'm playing a game, I either want to be told a story (in the same way a book or film would tell me a story) or just left alone to shoot things. Either is fine with me.

I always keep my character consistent when it comes to conversation, if that's what you mean, and I have been trying to get a D&D group set up. However LARPing is just stupid and should never be undertaken by man,

I do, but only in the game. None of that larping shit.

I find video games a weird place for role-playing, personally. Now, if you're using a game that actually supports that sort of thing (like, say, the Neverwinter Nights toolset), go for it. I'd like to have better tools for role-playing, sure.

If you're doing it kind of randomly in a MMO, why not just take it to a chatroom? There are "role-players" in Dungeons and Dragons online, and all they do is sit in the tavern and blither. Some people actually use DDO as the chat for their tabletop games! Why, I do not understand. DDO uses up a fair bit of system resources that you could instead devote to all kinds of other chat and image sharing software to let you realize the game you're *actually* playing. And you won't have random people running through your game session on the way to the vendors.

If, on the other hand, you're just in a mood to play some make-believe while you're questing, I don't see a problem with it.

FelixG:

Owyn_Merrilin:

FelixG:

Ahh I see, perhaps I shall still pick it up from Steam to get the deluxe SEIV copy, then wait for GOG to do a windows 7 update and release it there as well

Aurora is indeed freeware, it doesnt use ACSII graphics though, just a map with colored dots, orbits ect.

Here is a link to it http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php I have put more hours into that game alone than Mass Effect and Skyrim combined xD

And I see, makes sense now,

Whoah, cool, thanks for the link to Aurora; that sounds awesome. As for SEV/SEIV, just so you know, the original developer went out of business, so an updated version that fixes the Windows 7 bugs is unlikely, barring a fan patch. Also, it works, it's just a pain in the butt to get it working properly; it took me 45 minutes just to get it to run the first time, although that was actually Steam's fault and as far as I know that specific bug is no longer a problem. Getting a decent framerate is still a problem, but it's also doable if you know what to do; oddly enough, one of the steps is turning off clear type text in windows, which gives a good 10 or 20 FPS boost.

I don't dream up backstories or anything, but if I'm playing a game I make a conscious effort to fit in with the world around me. Is that role-playing? I'm kind of fuzzy on the definitions here.

I never really used to, but sometimes I kind of enjoy inserting myself as a secondary character (sort of as an interacting observer, if that makes sense) to games and such, alongside the protagonist. For games like Oblivion and so on, I prefer to create an original character based on one of my own usual OCs, and roleplay as them.

If you want to roleplay anyway, then I recommend a game called Mitadake High. It also has a spiritual successor from a different developer, Pyrce High, and in both roleplay is pretty damn mandatory. I've created some pretty interesting characters and scenarios through both games, and enjoyed it all greatly. They're murder mystery games, kind of a cross between the real-life LARP game 'Killer' and the Death Note/Higurashi/Battle Royale franchises. Just look them up on Google for more info :)

I RP in the Bethesda games. But it's all in my head. I'm not writing anything down or talking for anyone. That's a tad odd in a single-player game. But yeah, walking to Ivarstead with the werewolf twins is usually a boring, silent affair. So I spice it up with imaginary conversations. I just inject some damn personality into the world.

Don't need to as much with the Fallout games. Especially New Vegas. Those games practically bleed personality.

I love making backstories for my characters. It's part of the fun. Just meta-gaming and doing ever quest possible and getting the best gear/weapons does not interest me in the slightest.

It's a ROLE-PLAYING game so I may as well role-play.

I used to in some MMOs, but everyone is so obsessed with the meta and their imaginary little numbers. They're so boring. It's a game! Have some damn fun!

I love rpgs, but I find that I really only do any kind of additional character rp'ing when a game starts to lose my interest for one reason or another and I want a little bit of a hook to keep playing. I don't look down on gamers who have fun doing full-blown roleplays--if it's fun for you, awesome!, keep it up--but it's not my thing. I'm more interested in seeing how far the game itself goes and where its limitations are.

I love making backstories for my characters. It honestly keeps me playing the game longer than I would have. Especially in games like the Elderscrolls games. Hell, I even draw my characters.

As soon as the immersion is gone I lost interest completely in those games. I strive to regain that sort of wide-eyed optimism and feelings I had when I first played Morrowind when I was younger. Holy shit that was amazing back then. Of course, as I got older I started seeing the barriers and trappings of the gameworld, and that sort of killed it for me. But I keep rping my single player characters as a way to try to get back to that.

I RP in MMO's as well. Of course, with MMOs not giving two shits about immersion, and most players only caring about numbers, its an uphill battle. It's part of the reason I despise "real time fighting" in MMO's. Which, honestly means "just click more". And it gives the develops an excuse to skimp out of the chat mechanics. *coughDCUcough*

The closest I get to role-playing are single-player PC games, and even with those:

I never create a backstory, I always base the character on myself. What characteristics, at the time, I feel like to stress the most, give some variety though. Sometimes after playing a longer time, the choices and actions I've made, can create a kind of backstory. So I might play the character based more on previous things in the game, rather than what I'd choose in the moment or what seems the most beneficial. But that's about it. RPG mostly stands for additional freedom of what to do, for me.

Never got into it, mainly because a large portion of RP'ers creep me right the fuck out.

Oh, and the fucking hordes of ridiculous made-up creatures. Fucking angel/demon/FOX hybrids? Wtf is wrong with these people?

I don't really do any type of role-playing instead i just make the games harder for myself, since being able to use every tool i have (usually all of the ones available) makes a game too easy. So i'll do something dumb like i can't used ranged attacks, melee, or magic only, or i can only jump-attack, etc.

I still can't understand how one role-plays in Minecraft though. That one still perplexes me.

I find it impossible to roleplay in any multiplayer game.

But in single player games, I BECOME the character I'm playing, whether it's a custom character or John Marston or Ezio Auditore or John-117 or whatever.

Roleplaying it how you properly immerse yourself.

It is awesome.

captcha: Describe this brand (National Geographic) with any word(s).

My answer: boobs.

I love it! Roleplaying is half of the reason I buy Elder Scrolls games. They are so incredibly good for it.
It offers nearly unlimited amount of replay and it is as fun as you allow it to be.

I don't do it but I can definitely understand why people enjoy it. I used to play around doing something along those lines when I was a kid and playing video games but I gradually stopped doing so.

In tabetop: Hell yes! In videogames: Hell no!

Videogames are way too restrictive for me to get into a character, I'd have to ignore so much stuff to stay in character, mostly stupid NPCs in SP and retarded players in MMOs. In tabletop I use usually several days to think of a backstory etc. before actually getting to rolling the character stuff.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked