Which is your favorite race in Guild Wars 2?
Charr
32.8% (63)
32.8% (63)
Humanity
15.6% (30)
15.6% (30)
Norn
14.1% (27)
14.1% (27)
Asura
16.1% (31)
16.1% (31)
Sylvari
17.2% (33)
17.2% (33)
Other (Which!?)
4.2% (8)
4.2% (8)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Which Race in GW2 is the Fan Favorite?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Charr, of course. Some people just want to watch the world burn.

hazabaza1:
Totally rockin' it as an Asura Warrior.
I'll probably try one of all once I get it. Not too fond of the gay elves though.

Gay elves? Where? :S

Acrisius:

hazabaza1:
I'll probably try one of all once I get it. Not too fond of the gay elves though.

I assume he's talking about the Sylvari, who have a more open definition of sexuality and not so much importance on gender roles.

...but they're not elves, so... meh.

Human
pro: cool main city, varied personalities
con: already play one IRL and after also playing one in wow I vowed to try a more novel race in the next mmo. (their shitty racial skill may have contributed to that)

norn
pro: animal totem shtick, can-do attitude, animal forms
con: only animal form is bear for some reason, males look like the hulk, females remind me of the snoo-snoo episode of futurama

asura
pro: cool main city, technology
con: small, kinda annoying, hard to take serious especially as warrior classes

charr
pro: cool main city, awesome attitude
con: sometimes try way too hard to look badass, remind me of tauren

sylvari
pro: pretty unique
con: treehugging hippies, hard to take serious as heavy armor classes

So yeah... pretty torn at this point.
If only mmo's would stop making technology races double as comic relief (looking at you wow!)

EDIT: sylvari are the least popular??? So humans won't be outnumbered 4 to 1 by elves like most other mmo's? Interesting...

Question to the people who voted other: if I take out the little jab will you come out of your shell and state your pick? lol

Also I get the following impressions:

The Asura are polarizing. You either love 'em or hate 'em. Which is understandable, they're not exactly subtle as a people.

And people need to give the Sylvari a chance. "Gay plant elves"? C'mon guys, it's 2012. At least have the decency to get informed, *then* complain about the topic. They're pretty interesting where their lore is concerned (they're basically an emerging race of agnostics trying to develop a unified identity).

bliebblob:

norn
con: only animal form is bear for some reason, males look like the hulk, females remind me of the snoo-snoo episode of futurama

There's actually 4 animal forms. Bear, Snow Leopard/Lynx (it's ambiguous), Raven and Wolf. :)

http://www.arena.net/blog/a-spirit-of-legend

Personally I think the Sylvari being a very young/new race is a very cool twist on the "Ancient Elf" thing pretty much all other settings have going on. For some reason I think they would have worked better as an all female race though, I just get that vibe from them, the males look off.

Emiscary:

bliebblob:

norn

There's actually 4 animal forms. Bear, Snow Leopard/Lynx (it's ambiguous), Raven and Wolf. :)

http://www.arena.net/blog/a-spirit-of-legend

Sweet. I assumed there would be because of the starting question. But I never found any footage of forms beside bear. I wasn't in the beta either. That said, I really want to know only one more thing. How are the raven form flight mechanics? Do you just hover or can you really fly around?

Also, I agree with what you said about the sylvari but no matter how you look at it they were born from a big gaia-mother-earth-tree, which is also where they live. There's definantly a dryad-woodelf-treehug vibe there.
Still my favourite race ATM though.

I'm guessing you mean playable ones? I'd have to go with the Norn.

Humans are too... well, plain, sylvari have too much asian vibe going on for my taste (I thought that about the game overall before I played it though and it turned out to have all 3 face types, we'll see when they become available for play in beta), asura are just fucking weird (they might grow on me with time, but right now I don't like them at all, at least not as something I'd play) and the Charr are cool, but I'm not into that type of beast for my playable characters (I'll have one for sure, but they're not my first pick).

I gotta say though, I hate the Norn's storyline (might be the same for others, only tried the Norn). They've got their head so far up their own arses and are so goddamn cheesy and awfully written (always been a weakness of Guild Wars), you feel like it's a 5 year old's power fantasy. A 5 year old to whom English is a second language at that.

Vrach:
I'm guessing you mean playable ones?

"Other" wouldn't have been an option if I didn't expect people to have a pick outside the playable race pool. >.>

And I honestly don't know what the Raven flight mechanics are like (if there are any), but I have seen a few sneak peeks of the other were-forms, and they look good.

Also, the Sylvari aren't actually all that "environmental" in their worldview. They're far more interested in how they fit into the world than preserving some abstract balance. Yeah they're all born from a giant telepathic tree- but nobody said the tree was altruistic. It seems more like a parental figure than a religious one.

Emiscary:

Vrach:
I'm guessing you mean playable ones?

"Other" wouldn't have been an option if I didn't expect people to have a pick outside the playable race pool. >.>

And I honestly don't know what the Raven flight mechanics are like (if there are any), but I have seen a few sneak peeks of the other were-forms, and they look good.

Also, the Sylvari aren't actually all that "environmental" in their worldview. They're far more interested in how they fit into the world than preserving some abstract balance. Yeah they're all born from a giant telepathic tree- but nobody said the tree was altruistic. It seems more like a parental figure than a religious one.

There are no were forms that I'm aware of (PLEASE feel free to correct me, big fan of druidism here, it's why I was drawn to the Norn in the first place :) ). There's just a quest where you take on the snow leopard form for a short time and fight with its skill bar.

And yeah, I saw the "other" option, but I figured your main focus was the playable ones still :)

Vrach:
There are no were forms that I'm aware of (PLEASE feel free to correct me, big fan of druidism here, it's why I was drawn to the Norn in the first place :) ). There's just a quest where you take on the snow leopard form for a short time and fight with its skill bar.

There are; they're elite skills for the norn. You can change into a were-form of a bear, wolf, snow leopard, or raven. (Can't fly as a raven, though.)

Vrach:

And yeah, I saw the "other" option, but I figured your main focus was the playable ones still :)

Who cares what my focus is? Speak your mind!

Fan of the Krait? I know I enjoy getting my asshole on as much as the next guy.

Oh...And I guess I'd better answer the post.

Sylvari are my favorite by far. If you read their lore, they're probably the most unique, detailed, and plausible (plausible for magical plant people created by a sentient tree, anyway) race I've ever seen in an MMO.

When I was younger, people would always talk about how badass it would be to be a bear or a tiger or whatever, but I've always wanted to be a tree more than any kind of animal. I know it's weird, but it sounds very appealing to me. And on top of that, sylvari are agnostics, panromantic demisexuals, and passionate about exploration and learning, which are all traits that I share with them. (And I'm 25 years old, which is the same age as the oldest sylvari, but that's just a coincidence.)

Plus: they have a knightly, chivalric society without gender roles (because why would they need them?), they feel it's their destiny to destroy the dragons, and they're vaguely creepy-looking. I love that. They could have so easily made them sugary sweet, but I really think they got this race down perfect. And it all makes so much sense with the lore! Normally attempts at making a race have complete gender equality and all that seem really forced, but in this case it's just logical.

And I love the fact that sylvari males tend to be more slim and pretty than average humanoid males in MMOs. I'm just so sick and tired of seeing hulking, brooding gorilla-like male characters everywhere I look. I know it's made a lot of people hate the males, but those people are awful and should be kicked. (No really. Expectations of hypermasculinity in males need to be smashed.)

EmperorSubcutaneous:

Vrach:

There are; they're elite skills for the norn. You can change into a were-form of a bear, wolf, snow leopard, or raven. (Can't fly as a raven, though.)

Your babies. I want to have them :D

Seriously though, thanks, that's awesome to hear, I really love the whole druid concept. I see it's temporary and that does suck a bit, but still, better than nothing :)

Voted Charr. Have an interesting society, unique aesthetic, and while not a concept exclusive to Guild Wars, not quite as perpetuated as strong Norse people, or normal humans.

Haven't seen much of the Sylvari, but I know that they're plant based, which raises grey "Meh" flags in my mind. I can't help but think of the Asura as rabbit people with lasers and robots.

Emiscary:

Jynthor:

I won't have you badmouthing the best fantasy race to ever be created.
You don't fix what ain't broke.

A) Yes, yes you will.

and B) You also don't carbon copy it from the source and paste it into every story ever told.

Are drunks friendly and entertaining? Absolutely. Are beards manly and charming in their own way? Sure. This doesn't mean you shoehorn a race of bearded drunks into your setting automatically.

I've been sick of Dwarves since Tolkien finished with them. They're played out, they're boring, they're a teensy bit racist, and they've got nothing to add to any setting that can't be included in better/more subtle ways. The only fun variation of Dwarves I've ever seen are the typical "dark" dwarves from Warhammer Fantasy- and they've only ever been mentioned in flavour text.

.....and their own full(ish) Background and full army list/magic in the new forgeworld book

Gromril:

Emiscary:

Jynthor:

I won't have you badmouthing the best fantasy race to ever be created.
You don't fix what ain't broke.

A) Yes, yes you will.

and B) You also don't carbon copy it from the source and paste it into every story ever told.

Are drunks friendly and entertaining? Absolutely. Are beards manly and charming in their own way? Sure. This doesn't mean you shoehorn a race of bearded drunks into your setting automatically.

I've been sick of Dwarves since Tolkien finished with them. They're played out, they're boring, they're a teensy bit racist, and they've got nothing to add to any setting that can't be included in better/more subtle ways. The only fun variation of Dwarves I've ever seen are the typical "dark" dwarves from Warhammer Fantasy- and they've only ever been mentioned in flavour text.

.....and their own full(ish) Background and full army list/magic in the new forgeworld book

Didn't know that, but I'll be sure to check it out. Thanks :)

Acrisius:

hazabaza1:

The Sylvari.
To me, all elves are gay elves.

hazabaza1:

Acrisius:

hazabaza1:

The Sylvari.
To me, all elves are gay elves.

The Sylvari are plant-people. They look like living humanoid-flowers and trees and shit. Nothing like elves since they remade them waaaay back...

To play, Sylvari. There's a lot in the race that distance themselves from simply "The Plant Race", and I'm looking forward to the personal story options. Also, they look pretty cool. Going to change the armour to be the normal same-as-other-races stuff when I can though.

Lore-wise? Tengu. Pretty excited to find more about the dominion of winds - the beta encounters made it look really awesome. Hopefully, they'll be an expansion race ...

Emiscary:

[Dwarves are] a sort of gristle marbling the fantasy genre.

Yeah, but they went and replaced them with the only race even MORE obnoxiously omnipresent and irritating.

I don't care if GW2 calls them 'Sylvari,' they're still fucking elves. The best part about GW? It had no goddamn elves.

targren:

Emiscary:

Yeah, but they went and replaced them with the only race even MORE obnoxiously omnipresent and irritating.

I don't care if GW2 calls them 'Sylvari,' they're still fucking elves. The best part about GW? It had no goddamn elves.

Either you're not very informed about them, or your definition of "elves" is so all encompassing that you must hate like 2/3 of all fantasy >.>

I've never liked "furry" races, but charrs are frickin badass. They're god-hating technological geniuses with an appetite for war. What's not to love?

targren:

Emiscary:

Dude, humans are much more like elves than sylvari are.

Humans are the oldest race, put there by the gods, who believe they're better than everyone else and are slowly disappearing.

The sylvari are chivalric knights who happen to be made of plants. (And are also agnostic and love learning new things.)

Humans.

Then Sylvari.

Then Charr and Norn.

Then Asura.

If we're talking starting area: Human>Asura>Charr>Norn. Not tried Sylvari.

If we're talking BWE storyline: Charr>Human>Norn.

targren:

They're really not. They seem to borrow more heavily from celtic folklore than the traditional Tolkienesque "High Elf" that has saddled the fantasy genre for the last 50 years. Aside from their affinity for plants, as they are plants, there's not a lot of common ground between the two.

Emiscary:

Either you're not very informed about them, or your definition of "elves" is so all encompassing that you must hate like 2/3 of all fantasy >.>

It's the latter. :) I'm very picky about my fantasy, apparently.

Finally getting around to reading Wheel of Time, in fact. No elves so far!

I played femnorn during beta and the voice acting made my ears bleed it was so bland and horrible. So i'll either go charr or evil gnome, I don't play elves no matter the fantasy setting and my opinion on playing humans in a fantasy setting is not favorable. Its unfortunate because the idea of a big burly chick engineer seemed really cool to me.

Jasper Jeffs:
It depends on the profession for me, but I'll probably roll an Asuran Engineer on launch, I love their crazy animations. I've seen a few popular polls and it seems that Humans are the most popular race on average, followed by Asura/Sylvari and then Charr/Norn.

Agreed. To me, some professions seemed to "fit" certain races. I'll be rolling a charr engineer rather than an asura engineer, although the asura would fit that profession as well.

targren:

Emiscary:

Yet, how are the Sylvari elves?

snekadid:
I played femnorn during beta and the voice acting made my ears bleed it was so bland and horrible. So i'll either go charr or evil gnome, I don't play elves no matter the fantasy setting and my opinion on playing humans in a fantasy setting is not favorable. Its unfortunate because the idea of a big burly chick engineer seemed really cool to me.

I'm definitely playing Female Charr Engineer.

I hope they develop the Female Charr pectoralis muscles more then cover them in fluff (like they were in the character concept image)... From what I've seen, their chests are WAY too cylindrical and featureless (And no, I'm not a fan of "Give the hellcats breasts"... Or at least no "breasts" larger than Vin Diesel's or Isaiaha Mustafa's)... Actually, they needed more developed abdominal muscles than what I've seen. I don't CARE if they have fur over them!

You don't want kitty boobies, Scow2? :P

No, neither do I. >.>

Scow2:

targren:

Emiscary:

Aesthetically, for starters

targren:

Scow2:

targren:

Aesthetically, for starters

And Enders, as well.

Intially I would say the Sylvari (I like the organic look to them especially their clothing) however unless we get to play as them (and the Asuran) in the next beta I voting for the Charr.
During the beta I was more drawn into the Charr storyline (I play all three legions) since part of their story is to rebuild your characters warband (close minded party) which remind me of rpg in general when you getting new party members except you can't switch them out for another member.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked