Which Jak and Daxter game is your favourite?
Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
15.6% (12)
15.6% (12)
Jak 2
41.6% (32)
41.6% (32)
Jak 3
42.9% (33)
42.9% (33)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Favourite Jak and Daxter game?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I've been replaying the Jak and Daxter series recently, and just out of boredom I watched a review of the trilogy, in which the reviewer said that "everybody has their favourite one".

This made me wonder about which of the games is the most liked, and which is the least.

So, excluding spin off games and titles outside of the original trilogy, which Jak and Daxter is the best?

I haven't played the first one.

I played the second one (but don't own it) and thought it was great except for the sporadic difficulty and driving.

Jak 3 I've played through many times and loved it. The only major issue I had was driving the buggy to the Precursor temples every...single...time. So i guess this one wins by default.

I would also just like to point out that I thought Jak X was an awesome racing/car combat game.

never played the 3rd one but one was far superior to the second which decided to ride on the back of the open world train for no reason other than that was the in thing at the time, all it really did was bog the game down and leech the fun out of it.

Just dont bother with the bonus blink and youll miss it ending for getting all the orbs in the first one other than that it was pretty good not great but solid enough.

Jak 3 was by far my favorite of the trilogy. Somehow, Naughty Dog managed to pull off the perfect blend of platforming, shooting, melee combat, and driving without it becoming a convoluted mess. It's been years, but I have fond memories of playing Jak 3 and completing it feeling satisfied.

I loved that game.

Jak 3 was definitely my favorite. I skimmed through the first one, really played the second one, and then when the Third one came out it just blew me away

Jak II because of how many times it blew my mind as a kid.

WHOA! New time line!
WHOA! I can talk!
WHOA! I'm a demon!
WHOA! Guns! Explosions! Actions!
WHOA! KOR BETRAYING ME?! WTF?!!
WHOA! THE KID IS ME?!?!?!?!?! DA FUUUQ!

Love.

Jak 3.

I honestly don't like Jak & Daxter that much. Primarily because it has the same "collect X doodads to progress" game play that made me hate the Spyro game so much.

Jak 2 was a vast improvement. The story and game mechanics are great but it suffers only because of it's awful difficulty spikes. The game wouldn't gradually get more challenging as it progressed it just randomly gets insanely difficult for a mission or two then dials back to a standard difficulty.

Jak3 was almost perfect. It had a good story good mechanics and a steady progression of challenge. My only complaint about it was the random racing segments and that's more a matter of personal preference than bad game design.

Not knowing english at the time I got the games, the story never mattered to me, so I judge them on gameplay alone.

And on that note Jak2ohmygoditissogoodjesuschrist!

It's my favorite game of all time. It's got amazing platforming, amazing shooting, Amazing (Though quite difficult) racing, amazing visuals (for it's time) and amzing difficulty (It's hard, but manages to stay on the right side on the difficulty threshold.)

While Jak 3 was good, I rarely enjoyed the desert missions, and the cars physics where all around bonkers. Though flying around in a ship shooting at the turrets of the robot factory was really fun, and something you sadly did not get to do in Jak 2.

Never played one.

I was thinking about getting Daxter on my PSP tho.

Kinda hard to decide. They all have their good and bad points.

Jak and Daxter probably had some of the best levels IMO. But on the other hand it is a pretty short game that doesn't have too much of a story.

Jak 2 improved on the story and length. But it had very sporadic difficulty and a poor checkpoint system which drove me crazy.

Jak 3 took what Jak 2 had and improved on it. Although I absolutely hated how

So I guess if I had to choose, it would probably be a tie between Jak 2 and 3.

Jak & Daxter was my first PS2 game and will always have a place in my heart. Jak 3 is fun and has a really great and well-paced story. But Jak 2 blew me away the most, combining all the fun, platforming and colour of the first with a new location, gritty missions and badassery. Love that game.

I love all the games in the Jak & Daxter trilogy very much, but Jak 3 is about as close as a game can possibly get to perfection imo. I can't think of a single complaint I have about it.

I only like the first one. Second game would be a lot more fun if the camera controls(while scope-shooting) weren't fucked up and if it was a bit kinder when it comes to checkpoints. Stuck on a part where I need to kill like 40 flying guards with a turrent. Hard by itself, but with the controls it becomes an impossible feat for me.
Third game is pretty much all a racing game, which I don't have much love for. Stuck fairly early on, but so far it has just been hard races after another. Got fed up and haven't bothered to start it up again.

Think they should've stuck with the more kid friendly style the first game was in. Perhaps Naughty Dog wanted to distance themselves from the Crash Bandicoot type of games, but fuck... I like those games!

Jak 3 just expanded on all the gameplay aspects in so many quality ways. They tripled the weapon arsenal, more than doubled your number of eco powers, introduced a huge open desert with nearly a dozen vehicles to explore it. The eco powers were handled much better, allowing you to transform at any quantity of eco rather than having to wait until you're full. Then, of course, your transformation doesn't drain energy until you actually do something, eco is easier to find, and transformations are very rarely interrupted. I found in my recent jak 2 playthrough I barely used dark jak at all.

Additionally, the aesthetics and set pieces were extraordinary. In addition to the desert I mentioned, the ongoing combat in the streets of haven city are an absolute blast to fly through, or take part in by just hanging around, killing stuff.

Then there's the assload of secrets including infinite light jak which is just incredible.

And finally, of course, there's the big reveal in jak 3. You know the one if you've finished it. The reveal that totally shifts your entire perspective of one of the game's most persistent plot elements.

I liked 2 the best. 1 was just kind of bland and samey (nothing really different from the dozens of other games like it at the time), but 2 mixed things up quite a bit and gave us a much better story and more interesting characters+world. While 3 has the best gameplay of all of them (though none were particularly strong in that regard), I did not think the story was particularly interesting and dividing it's time between the city and the dessert resulted in a lack of focus and cohesion (in addition to a less interesting atmhpshere), in my eyes.

So... 2 wins, because of the more interesting story, better atmosphere, and better sense of cohesion and focus, despite it's laundry list of gameplay flaws.

Its hard to decide between Jak 3 and Jak II, but I just went for jak 3 figuring my vote wouldn't matter that much. Turns out I tipped the poll towards Jak3 by a single vote.

Apart from the weird focus on Ashelin in Jak 3, it is still my favorite. And thankfully, Jak X Combat Racing put her back with Torn to retcon that piece of weirdness.

Definitely Jak II for me. Ever since GTA went 3D I had been waiting for a futuristic dystopian version with flying vehicles. Then I heard that a sequel to one of my favorite games ever was going to do that, and that you could change vehicles IN THE AIR PEOPLE, with an intriguing story and other awesome things, like a Jetboard that cuold be used anywhere.

Jak 3, by comparison seemed pretty cheap, both in terms of the story (which was a bit of an ass pull, at times, as much as the green star had always intrigued me), and in terms of the gameplay, which was practically none-existance in the desert segments, and redundant in the city sections. And yes, that Keira thing was annoying, as was finding out the identity of the Precursors. Light Jak was great fun though. Overpowered, but great fun.

Ive only played the demo for Jak 3 but I remember it being absolutely amazing. Im actually playing through Jak and Daxter for the first time at the moment, was anyone else kinda pissed off with the spider caves? For me the areas just so damn big and confusing, and the shitty camera really really doesnt help. Apart from that though Jak and Daxter is a pretty solid game

I liked Jak 2 the most. Jak 1 was fun and good, yes, but the cast in Jak 2 was bigger, more personality, more humour.

Jak 3 was my least favourite game honestly, it feels so much shorter and it keeps giving you new weapons all the time, at least that's how it felt like.

Jak 3 is my favorite, with 2 being, in my opinion, the weakest of the series. 3 did characterization so well, the story played out almost seamlessly, great directing and voice action on the cutscenes, and great gameplay. I really miss the approach to storytelling Jak had, I rarely see it in games anymore. I also liked Jak X quite a bit, it had a pretty damn good production quality for a racing game spinoff.

Precursor Legacy hands down. Brought me back time to playing some of my favorite 3D platformers such as Banjo Kazooie and Super Mario 64 with a similar gameplay style. I did enjoy the other 2 but they seemed to break free from your traditional collect stuff in a level platformer. Doesn't sound fun but I had a blast.

Jak 3 is definitely my favorite. It had the most varied and interesting gameplay of the lot with a number of improvements over its predecessors (though it still never fixed the horrid camera controls in 1 and 2).

My only real issue with the game was, as others have mentioned, how Keira got sidelined in the plot in favor of Ashlin. I'm like 90% certain it's because whoever was doing Keira's voice was unavailable for Jak 3. I played all 3 back to back and so when Keira got her one spoken line in Jak 3, she had a completely new voice that sounded nothing like she did previously.

My favorite is Jak 3. Jak & Daxter was a fun game an I enjoyed playing it. The second one was good but had quite a few issues that bugged me throughout the game. The third, however, took what they had learned from the first two and improved upon it to make an awesome game. Jak X was okay but I've never been good at nor a fan of racing games(hell, in Crash Tag team racing I usually let the AI drive up until the last bit of the race most of the time and any time I played a NASCAR game with my brother I usually said screw it to playing the right way and tried smashing into everyone else) so I didn't play too much of it. Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier was also a good game, but just felt kind of off in terms of game play and story.

Jack 3 since it had more, felt shorter though.

Jak 3. I spent so much time playing that game as a kid. Must have beat it over 10 times

Never played 1, but did 2 and 3 for many many hours... Loved 3 the most.

I like the one called R&C: Going Commando.

Loved the first and third.
The first will always hold a special spot in my heart. I was skeptical when they went forward through time. Almost completely different game. Jak III's angel mode and desert bits sold it for me.

Z of the Na'vi:
Jak 3 was by far my favorite of the trilogy. Somehow, Naughty Dog managed to pull off the perfect blend of platforming, shooting, melee combat, and driving without it becoming a convoluted mess. It's been years, but I have fond memories of playing Jak 3 and completing it feeling satisfied.

I loved that game.

This.

It's a little sad, really. The frustration that was playing the second game made me so hesitant to play the third that I didn't even get to it until we were already years into the current console generation.

While the second was goddamn frustratingly difficult, the difficulty of the third was so damn well done that I can count the amount of times the game pissed me off on one hand. The design was magnificent.

So tempted to get it on PS3. So tempted.

Diddy_Mao:
Jak 3.

I honestly don't like Jak & Daxter that much. Primarily because it has the same "collect X doodads to progress" game play that made me hate the Spyro game so much.

Jak 2 was a vast improvement. The story and game mechanics are great but it suffers only because of it's awful difficulty spikes. The game wouldn't gradually get more challenging as it progressed it just randomly gets insanely difficult for a mission or two then dials back to a standard difficulty.

Jak3 was almost perfect. It had a good story good mechanics and a steady progression of challenge. My only complaint about it was the random racing segments and that's more a matter of personal preference than bad game design.

That mission where you have to take out the water mines in the harbour, the one where you have to skateboard in the mining operation and close the eco harvesters and racing quest are all engraved in my mind for how fucking hard they were.

Jak 2 was a Grand Theft Auto for kids

Jak 3 was a Grand Theft Auto for kids with a war going on.

So yeah Jak 3

I liked three the best my view is kinda of two is a lil soured after spending a few hours trying to beat the part where you have to press the buttons on your controller very fast as they whizz by

NightHawk21:
I like the one called R&C: Going Commando.

No, you said Up Your Arsenal wrong.

---

My favorite? Ehh, Jak 2. The only Jak game I really finished, so I guess that makes it number 1. Once I got the trilogy, I finished 1, haven't gotten around to completing 3. I'm about half-way through it, though.

Jak 2 is my favourite, an inch above Jak and Daxter. For a game that turned from cheery to gritty between games, Jak 2 did it right. The game was still funny, had a fair amount of personality left, and carried over a surprisig amount of story and gameplay elements from the original. Difficulty curve is wonky and when it gets hard DAMN DOES IT GET HARD, but I still love it. I'm in a very abusive relationship with this game. When it came out to HD I bent over and begged to take it. And if Naughty Dog made another Jak game with a difficulty like that, I'll ask for more. I think I have a problem.

Jak and Daxter is wonderful, but the one drawback is that there isn't a whole lot to do. But wat it did, man did it do well. It was a pure platformer, so rich in simplicity that it's magical. It's the gold standard for 3D platformers as far as I'm concerned.

I'm surprised so many people like Jak 3 (as their favourite in the franchise). Like, genuinely surprised. Game is good, but a lot of things REALLY bug me in a way not even the tonal shift or stupid difficulty in Jak 2 did. The enhancements to the previous gameplay formula were great, but fuck the vehicles and the fact that it takes you 1/3 of the game to get to some actual PLATFORMING. Story was a bit disappointing too. Ashelin (someone who has ZERO chemistry with Jak) as the love interest? Leaving previous love interest in a bin and whack all personality from her? Bring back the secondary antagonist from previous game and throw him into main antagonist position with a really weak motive that makes no sense? I'm not saying the previous games were masterpieces in the writing department but...this is very distrating. Seemed very rushed. However, the ottsels were a highlight though and I will defend it as the best cutscene of the franchise.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here