Diablo 3...Should I get it?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I've been looking at gameplay footage but it looks quite vague. What genre would it fall under? Is it a point and click, RPG, adventure or all rolled into one?

Dungeon Crawler.
If you want an idea of what it'll play like, go pick up Torchlight.

hazabaza1:
Dungeon Crawler.

Or just go buy Torchlight / Torchlight 2 period.

But yeah, like he said, they're Dungeon Crawler RPGs, you jump into a dungeon / area and wipe out all living beings in that area while gathering up Gold and Loot to upgrade your stuff all while gaining levels to unlock new moves.

Qitz:

hazabaza1:
Dungeon Crawler.

Well, nobody is too sure when Torchlight 2 is going to be released, so OP might need something to fill the time while they wait.

jetpickering:

That is for you to decide.

Personally, the need for permanent internet connection is a no deal for me.

Dungeon Crawling games are something I play when I don't have an internet connection.

I mean, what is Blizzard and Activision afraid of?

People cheating in the friggin' SINGLE PLAYER MODE?

And before anyone says it's an anti-piracy method, Steam does DRM better seeing as it has a functional offline mode.

Aircross:

And before anyone says it's an anti-piracy method, Steam does DRM better seeing as it has a functional offline mode.

On the rare occasion it works.

I myself would recommend Diablo III if you like loot and killing stuff

Aeshi:

Aircross:

On the rare occasion it works.

The only finicky thing with it is you have to go offline with a connection the first time so that it can create a verification file on your computer (or something like that).

Once you've done that it's smooth sailing.

Click Click Click Click Click Click Click

To me, a dungeon crawler is a game like Wizardry, say.

These are loot whoring games. Path of Exile looks better, btw.

If you're not sure you want it, wait for the reviews.

That said, stay a while and listen...

Based on my experience of the beta, the gameplay type is hack and slash RPG with customizable rather than choosable skills. Everyone playing a certain class gets the same set of skills assoicated with that class, but you can only have a few that you can use at a time (you can activate any of the skills, but switching between them requires a few seconds for cooldown, so switching in mid combat is ill advised), and as you level you get different "runes" you can apply to the skill to customize it. Hack up yon monsters, get ye loot, do stuff with ye loot (you can disenchant and break down stuff for crafting mats, or just sell it, possibly other stuff that I didn't get to see).

Comparisons to Torchlight are somewhat apt for gameplay, but not for environment. The Diablo world has quite a bit of lore and a different atmostphere than Torchlight does. Also more settings than just "drill down deeper into this one dungeon." Granted that just makes it "Drill down into this dungeon, then find the next one and drill down into it."

If you don't have a 100% internet connection, then I would avoid it as well as Blizzard has the same battlenet setup they had for SC2, internet connection required to play the game even on single player. Don't ask why, it will just feed the trolls, and feeding them doesn't make them drop better loot.

Edit: To avoid Mod wrath, Torchlight 2 is what D3 should be, get it instead.

Anthraxus:

Or, alternatively, just hold down the mouse button because you are not a moron.

Aeshi:

Anthraxus:

Or, alternatively, just hold down the mouse button because you are not a moron.

Idk, I don't play these types of games because they get too repetitive for me. I have a buddy who likes it and I watched him play a few times.

If you like dungeon crawlers then yes.

Say what you want about Blizzard and their methods. I am sure you have a heard about the RMAH and the always online.

But when push comes to shove, it does what do the job of a dungeon crawler very well. Blizzard isn't new thinker or a great story teller. Their wheelhouse is addictive gameplay and tons of polish.

It is a great dungeon crawler. If that is enough for you then you will enjoy it.

Draech:
But when push comes to shove, it does what do the job of a dungeon crawler very well. Blizzard isn't new thinker or a great story teller. Their wheelhouse is addictive gameplay and tons of polish.

It is a great dungeon crawler. If that is enough for you then you will enjoy it.

Pretty much this. See, Blizzard isn't the most innovative of companies, but they always deliver. When they release a new game, you can bet it'll be a shining example of how best to pull off that particular genre. We saw it with Warcraft, three times, we saw it twice with Starcraft, we saw it with WoW, we saw it twice with Diablo and I'm gonna put my money on that we'll see it a third time right there.

Elcarsh:

Draech:

Pretty much this. See, Blizzard isn't the most innovative of companies, but they always deliver. When they release a new game, you can bet it'll be a shining example of how best to pull off that particular genre. We saw it with Warcraft, three times, we saw it twice with Starcraft, we saw it with WoW, we saw it twice with Diablo and I'm gonna put my money on that we'll see it a third time right there.

Ok that really says it for me. I doubt I'm gonna pre-purchase a copy right now so I will just wait for the full verdict :)

Elcarsh:

Draech:

Quoted for truth. Blizzard invents nothing. They perfect everything.

I've played the D3 beta enough to know I will lose many hours to the full game.

It's the game equivalent of a summer blockbuster. See monsters, trigger moves 1,2, and 3 until monsters die, pick up loot, proceed to next monsters. Nothing wrong with that, just don't expect it to broaden your intellectual horizons or present you with challenging moral choices.

Something I also wanted to know is whether or not there will be a subscription fee? Because that would be a game breaker for me if there was one.

jetpickering:
Something I also wanted to know is whether or not there will be a subscription fee? Because that would be a game breaker for me if there was one.

Now this I can objectively answer.

No there will not.

I thought the beta was laggy, boring and the class paths looked maddeningly restrictive.

Torchlight 2 is coming out in June/July and is 20 bucks....

and if you pre-order on steam you get the first one free...

Which is still great..

So stick with Torchlight 1/2 and Diablo 2.

Draech:

jetpickering:

Now this I can objectively answer.

No there will not.

:D Im sold then.

I'd say no, purely on the basis that Blizzard is a bunch of sodomites that crushed my hopes and dreams when they declared "We want you to pay 3 times for Star Craft II! Why? Because we fucking know you will you sheeple."

Aircross:

jetpickering:

Dungeon Crawling games are something I play when I don't have an internet connection.

Well actually they are afraid of people not being able to use their cash auction house.

AC10:
I thought the beta was laggy, boring and the class paths looked maddeningly restrictive.

Yes.

QuenkerKing:
Torchlight 2 is coming out in June/July and is 20 bucks....

and if you pre-order on steam you get the first one free...

Which is still great..

So stick with Torchlight 1/2 and Diablo 2.

YES!

RJ 17:
I'd so no, purely on the basis that Blizzard is a bunch of sodomites that crushed my hopes and dreams when they declared "We want you to pay 3 times for Star Craft II! Why? Because we fucking know you will you sheeple."

I am on the Torchlight bandwagon >.>

Aircross:

jetpickering:

No, it's because of the real money auction house. If they made the game available offline, people could easily find a way to hack in items and make tons of money.

Substitute Troll:

Aircross:

jetpickering:

No, it's because of the real money auction house. If they made the game available offline, people could easily find a way to hack in items and make tons of money.

Well golly gee-willickers! Maybe Blizzard shouldn't be a bunch of fuck-bastards by making a Real Money Auction House! Ohhhhhhh that's right, Blizzard is run by people that make EA seem charitable and not at all prone to ripping off their fanbase.

Seriously, back when I used to play WoW, I started feeling like the game was becoming more of a job than a source of entertainment. Log on, do dailies, faf about, rinse and repeat until it's raid not, put in at least 4 hours of concentration and focus only to have the 1 item you need NOT drop, then wait till next week.

Now they're officially making Diablo 3 into a job. How many people are going to spend hours and hours grinding away for teh phat lewtz so they can sell'em on the AH? The world is full of pitiful losers, my friends, and Blizzard knows this.

I'd recommend you wait and play League of Legends (as it is free to play) and same style of game.

Diablo as a series is widely considered to be the best that the genre has to offer and is highly recommended.

If you're remotely interested in the gameplay offered by League of Legends, or have had experience with Torchlight series, you'll probably love Diablo 3.

babinro:
I'd recommend you wait and play League of Legends (as it is free to play) and same style of game.

Diablo as a series is widely considered to be the best that the genre has to offer and is highly recommended.

If you're remotely interested in the gameplay offered by League of Legends, or have had experience with Torchlight series, you'll probably love Diablo 3.

I wouldn't compare LoL to Diablo really. Both are controlled by mouse sure. That's about it.

I'm huge fan of Diablo series, and hate LoL above all.

Well, I'm picking it up. What ever doubts I had were sufficiently snuffed out when I got to play the open beta that weekend.

Qitz:

hazabaza1:
Dungeon Crawler.

But yeah, like he said, they're Dungeon Crawler RPGs, you jump into a dungeon / area and wipe out all living beings in that area while gathering up Gold and Loot to upgrade your stuff all while gaining levels to unlock new moves.

Torchlight was just an anemic version of Diablo 2 and, while the sequel looks better, it still looks like a water downed version of D3.

Guys, take your collective mouths off Blizzard's collective penis, alright? Tell the guy why the game's going to be good, instead of throwing out generic, borderline advertising-like comments about how Blizzard is the bestest company in the world.

I would say no, because I see it as cancer, but millions will buy it anyway so fuck it. Go, buy it, enjoy yourself.

Played the beta. Was very excited before I did so, not so much afterwards. I might get it when the price drops, despite the fact that basically all my friends are gonna get it at launch.

Fuck Blizzard and their bullshit with DRM and other stuff. Bastards.

Substitute Troll:

So in short, they created their own problem due to Activision wanting to exploit people who spend REAL money on VIRTUAL stuff, and they "fix" this problem by requiring always-on internet for single player mode.

SEEMS LEGIT

Yes but only because if I'm going to suffer from it then I rather not suffer alone (misery loves company)!
I'm only getting the game so I can co-op with my mate (a hardcore fan) since the intially the alway online thing put me off in the first place.

I have one word why you should get it:

TYRAEL!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked