Diablo 3 getting a sixth class before launch?

Yeah, I know, it's most likely nothing, but Nvidia has this contest where you post a photo of yourself as one of the classes from Diablo 3.

They've got six weeks, but of course only five classes are unlocked. The sixth "week" is still locked, making it look like there might be a sixth, secret, non-talked about class. After all, the contest is about taking a photo of yourself as a hero.

But it's most probably nothing. Right?

http://www.geforce.com/landing-page/diablo-3-community-contest

Edit: No need to reply, case is closed.

Seems abit unlikly, at a guess i'd say the final one is going to be Cain or diablo, to hold of releasing info on a final class untill what is basicly launch day.. i don't know i guess i wouldnt but it past blizzard todo somthing like that but why would they broker a deal with Nvidia just for a reveal.

Well you never know with Blizz, not too long ago they added a crazy new feature called "pausing the game", so who knows what insane ideas they still got up their sleeve...

Clearly this is a new DLC class that they plan to sell as day 1 DLC.

Okay obviously not, but I just wanted to say that.

I know, it seems very unlikely, but it also seems weird to have a contest to take a photo of yourself as one of the classes, with six weeks to go and one class unlocks each week.

There's no indication whatsoever that it would be a new class, but then what could it be? Cain or Diablo? They are no heroes in the same way that the class heroes are. They are important characters, sure, but not heroes like the other five.

One thing that speaks against it being a new class is that nobody has played it. Blizzard has been letting people play around with all five classes for them to balance and improving them. A new class just at launch could very well be unbalanced and not-so-good.

But then again, it could just be something totally different, even though it wouldn't fit with Nvidias contest.

Any other thoughts about this or has something just gone wrong from Nvidia's side?

Definitely not another class, Blizzard's been so painfully slow at developing these 5 that another one is inconceivable.

Read about this a while back. Had a similar thing on one of the game sites with a blank box and speculation about what it could mean. Bashiok (the community manager) made a post saying there was not going to be a new class before launch. My money is on it being the companions or shopkeepers or other random info.

Mortai Gravesend:
Clearly this is a new DLC class that they plan to sell as day 1 DLC.

Okay obviously not, but I just wanted to say that.

Yeah, that's what those "What else could possibly go wrong?" guys say before the feces hit the osculating atmosphere agitator.

I mean, don't jinx it man.

i put 5 bucks on it being something random not another class

It's not going to be another class.

If you look at the sheer amount of backstory and lore they've done for each class on the D3 website, it becomes quite obvious they aren't going to toss out something else. Hell, they even wrote origin stories for each class.

The sixth "week" you're referring to is probably where they'll announce the winner(s) of this contest.

tony2077:

But then again their contest is about taking a photo of yourself as a HERO, who else do we know from Diablo 3 that is actually a hero except the different classes?

As said before, Blizzard has taken long enough to do the five classes and another one just before launch wouldn't make sense. Especially with the CM saying there won't be any.

But then again, what/who could that sixth "hero" be?

Also, could Nvidia mess it all up this bad? Didn't Blizzard give the green light before they officially announced the competition (Blizzard did);

"Each week, a new class will journey to the town of New Tristram [...]"

Each week, for six weeks, a new class? Doesn't make sense at all.

nu1mlock:

tony2077:

But then again their contest is about taking a photo of yourself as a HERO, who else do we know from Diablo 3 that is actually a hero except the different classes?

As said before, Blizzard has taken long enough to do the five classes and another one just before launch wouldn't make sense. Especially with the CM saying there won't be any.

But then again, what/who could that sixth "hero" be?

Also, could Nvidia mess it all up this bad? Didn't Blizzard give the green light before they officially announced the competition (Blizzard did);

"Each week, a new class will journey to the town of New Tristram [...]"

Each week, for six weeks, a new class? Doesn't make sense at all.

thanks for that now I'm even more confused then i was when i saw it.

Nerexor:
It's not going to be another class.

If you look at the sheer amount of backstory and lore they've done for each class on the D3 website, it becomes quite obvious they aren't going to toss out something else. Hell, they even wrote origin stories for each class.

The sixth "week" you're referring to is probably where they'll announce the winner(s) of this contest.

It's possible they'll announce the winners of the contest, hell (:P), it's more probable than announcing a new class through Nvidia.

Although it isn't impossible that they already have the backstory and lore for the sixth class ready, only not published on the website. I don't think that's the case, just saying it's not impossible.

And again, Nvidia said that there will be a new class each week, six weeks for the contest, one still locked. Blizzard officially sanctioned (another :P) the contest and is tweeting about it. Wouldn't someone else has picked up on the very sentence saying there will be a new class every week and they have six weeks?

Again, not thinking it's a class, but an announcement of who the contest winners are doesn't seem like something they'd "lock" but instead just send the winners an email. No one is interested in if anyone else won anyway.

Its a week for people to get banners they missed on other weeks. Its just a free banner week. Its easy to find this stuff out its called read blizzards D3 forum.

Luap26:
Its a week for people to get banners they missed on other weeks. Its just a free banner week. Its easy to find this stuff out its called read blizzards D3 forum.

Did I link to the diablo3.com website perhaps? No, I don't think I did. I know this week at diablo3.com has been about getting your banners, but last time I checked we were all talking about Nvidia's contest and it's locked slot -- which says there will be a new class every week, and they have six weeks, and it's all been officially sanctioned by Blizzard.

Besides, what you're talking about is already available at the official Diablo 3 website, there is still one locked hero/character/something at Nvidia's site. They're obviously not the same.

For someone trying to make it obvious to read the Diablo 3 forums at Blizzard, you sure have a hard time reading the first post in this thread - and the responses to it. But thanks for not contributing anything at all.

nu1mlock:
Yeah, I know, it's most likely nothing, but Nvidia has this contest where you post a photo of yourself as one of the classes from Diablo 3.

They've got six weeks, but of course only five classes are unlocked. The sixth "week" is still locked, making it look like there might be a sixth, secret, non-talked about class. After all, the contest is about taking a photo of yourself as a hero.

Having been a regular at Diablo 3's forums I can guarantee that there will be no 6th class revealed. They quickly stated such as fans were getting hyped about it.

The 6th week reveal is an animated short so far as I'm aware.

babinro:

nu1mlock:

Having been a regular at Diablo 3's forums I can guarantee that there will be no 6th class revealed. They quickly stated such as fans were getting hyped about it.

The 6th week reveal is an animated short so far as I'm aware.

We already know about the animated short, it's all over the place at the official D3 website. What we're talking about is NOT something that has been revealed yet as it's still locked. It's Nvidia's contest but has been tweeted several times from the official D3 Twitter account which means they have read the text and are okay with it.

The text itself pretty much says that there will be a new class every week for six weeks. However, a new class is most probably not the case, but the question is what? What is behind the locked "door"?

It's not the "get your banners", it's not the animated short, those are on the official D3 website.

Besides, have you even looked at the link I posted? It says you're supposed to take a photo of yourself posing as one of the heroes. Do you really think you're supposed to pose as an animated short, or perhaps pose as a "get the banners that you missed"?

after reading the rules its a free week where you can choose any of the classes from the weeks before

No, a new class implies extensive testing and iteration before it's put in the game. They don't have time for that.
Besides, what's the point of keeping it secret until now? They want their community's opinion.

Tyrael. Count on it

nu1mlock:

One thing that speaks against it being a new class is that nobody has played it. Blizzard has been letting people play around with all five classes for them to balance and improving them. A new class just at launch could very well be unbalanced and not-so-good.

Not necessarily. The open beta was more about gauging server load as opposed to balancing issues. Most of the balancing issues would of been concentrated on in the closed beta, where it is possible for another class to of been tested (having a NDA obviously helps here).

Having said that, I tend to think that if there was another class (and people in the closed beta had tested it) word would of snuck out by now. It's possible that Blizz kept the testing of the 6th class completely in-house, but I don't know if they'd view that as a viable testing avenue.

All in all, I doubt it's another class. The possibility is there, but I think it's highly unlikely.

Not even a slight chance at a new class. Have you seen how long it has taken them to create the 5 existing classes? Even if it was a new class it would be on a test server, and not live at launch. Blizzard uses its fans effectively as testers, its what they've always done.

Seeing all the features D3 has in it, I don't see how much could be added. Apart from a expansion hint or something of the like.

everyone knows its the archivist.

even after you tell people what the official rules are they still like to speculate. so to be a jerk

3. THE CHALLENGE
This Contest involves the following challenge: Each week we will release a new Diablo III character image representing one of the classes in Diablo III. You must take a photo of yourself acting as that week's character.

- Week 1: Witch Doctor
- Week 2: Barbarian
- Week 3: Monk
- Week 4: Demon Hunter
- Week 5: Wizard
- Week 6: Any previous character

0 chance of a new class.

First of all, it's not how Blizzard works.

2nd... you should have read the contest rules, it clearly states the 6th slot is for "any previous character"

VladG:
0 chance of a new class.

First of all, it's not how Blizzard works.

2nd... you should have read the contest rules, it clearly states the 6th slot is for "any previous character"

Yes, I probably should have read the rules. I stand corrected. But oh, what fun we've had. xD

I think the whole question might be a viral marketing stunt.

But there is no doubt in my mind that there wont be another class released this late.

nu1mlock:

Luap26:

Did I link to the diablo3.com website perhaps? No, I don't think I did. I know this week at diablo3.com has been about getting your banners, but last time I checked we were all talking about Nvidia's contest and it's locked slot -- which says there will be a new class every week, and they have six weeks, and it's all been officially sanctioned by Blizzard.

Besides, what you're talking about is already available at the official Diablo 3 website, there is still one locked hero/character/something at Nvidia's site. They're obviously not the same.

For someone trying to make it obvious to read the Diablo 3 forums at Blizzard, you sure have a hard time reading the first post in this thread - and the responses to it. But thanks for not contributing anything at all.

Assuming another company that is doing a contest with Blizzards approval with the same number of unlocks unlocking a class a week is not the same as Blizzards 6 weeks unlocking a hero a week event? Obviously not the same? Counting Blizzard stated in their 6 week count down that the last weeks is all heros, that means there is no sixth class. And if blizzard states there is no sixth class then the chances that nvidia will state there is a sixth class is Zero. And how others have pointed the rules state this aswell. Maybe you should read stuff before you make threads about it? Think before you just start trying to pick fights with people. learn to try and understand others ok? Good, Bye now.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked