I just realised, I have no nostalga for games

Pages 1 2 NEXT

oh I played games as a kid..some excellent ones, like Donkey Kong country and banjo kazooie, I love those game to bits

but I like modern games better..MUCH better

theres not one game I look back on and actually "miss" or think is better than a game I like today

mabye its because I didnt play as many games as a kid, or I officially started my gaming obsession 2010, but I dont take issue with modern games...I like the cutscnes, the graphics, the "cinmeatics" the good/bad voive acting and even the scripted events

ok granted somtimes I can tell when the game is treating me like a retard, and I like some stuff that makes me actually think (Deus Ex)

but anyway...why do I feel this thread worthy? well it makes me think

do you think nostalga/past experience affects how we veiw modern gaming ?

do I just have terrible taste in gaming or do certain things not bother me because I'm used to them..or its what I liked about games in the first place?

Games that I miss or have nostalgia for. There are 3 games.

Spyro 1
Spyro 2 (first game I ever owned)
Spyro 3

After the third game Spyro sadly died of cancer and a clone was created to try and replace him. Do not fall for the lies as those games were not true Spyro games.

--------------------------

Nostalgia impacts gaming differently...
Yeah... how the fuck do I expand on that without being patronizing >.>

Some games are built around Nostalgia while others are completely new and are completely unrelated and disjointed from the past.

Super Mario Bros... yeah... look at the little plump Italian man today.

While other games try new things, completely unaffected by the old. A really good game though today will create Nostalgia. For example I REALLY LOVE the Mass Effect series. Sometimes I just want to play as Commander Shepard and blow shit up, but I know I can't because that would require a whole new game etc etc.

Another game which has this Nostalgia aura is the Mount and Blade series. Never before did I think I could miss charging through 5 peasants swinging my mace into their faces before. But I do occasionally >:D But playing that is a lot simpler than mass effect ;)

In the modern era of games I think Nostalgia won't become a thing of the past. It will simply be re-sold. Games will continue to be made to fill the holes left by previous games, and with platforms like Steam, games will never die again as you can download them as much a you like :)

Well past experience will certainly affect your view point in the future, experience is what makes us who we are to a large extent.

I do agree that gaming is better now than it was in the past in many ways but there are always some past games that people will always love and will play regardless just because someone likes an old game dosent mean they are being blinded by nostalgia.

For me CTR has yet to be beaten as a karting game, FFVII is still one of the best games I have ever played, Street Fighter 2 turbo is still fantastic and Super Mario Bros 3 is still absolutely brilliant unfortunately I know my love for bubble bobble is pure nostalgia but there is so many happy memories associated with that game I dont care.

Saying all that 2 of my top 3 games of all time are from this gen (one on PS3 and one on the wii of all places)

Vault101:
oh I played games as a kid..some excellent ones, like Donkey Kong country and banjo kazooie, I love those game to bits

but I like modern games better..MUCH better

theres not one game I look back on and actually "miss" or think is better than a game I like today

Well do you still play games of the same kind of style as those ones? ME3, for instance, is quite a different genre than the two games you mentioned. Could be you found genres you prefer more?

Also could depend on just what particular games you played in the past. Some might survive better with time than others.

mabye its because I didnt play as many games as a kid, or I officially started my gaming obsession 2010, but I dont take issue with modern games...I like the cutscnes, the graphics, the "cinmeatics" the good/bad voive acting and even the scripted events

Well if your gaming obsession officially started in 2010, then you're probably going to be more used to modern games anyway. That's not too long. Or perhaps you got into it at that point more than before because the games were more to your taste than before?

Certainly does for me. Not sure how much of it is nostalgia, but past experience at the least does. Especially if it comes to story and setting, because those kinds of thing doesn't need to change radically with technology upgrades. Then again it can be hard to be sure how much of a game is just good memories playing it. It's not like we no longer have games in the same kind of genre as, say, Goldeneye 007, but the fun I had playing it will influence me to remember it quite favorably.

do I just have terrible taste in gaming or do certain things not bother me because I'm used to them..or its what I liked about games in the first place?

Terrible taste? Nah. Could be that they don't bother you because you're used to them, while other people who really got into gaming earlier might have more good memories or experiences that make them see things in a different light and that influenced their preferences.

Comando96:

Another game which has this Nostalgia aura is the Mount and Blade series. Never before did I think I could miss charging through 5 peasants swinging my mace into their faces before. But I do occasionally >:D But playing that is a lot simpler than mass effect ;)

As someone who only picked up Mount and Blade for the first time last year, it definitely manages to generate good memories already.

I do have fond memories of most of my past games (well, I didn't play all that many games back then).

I'm a little sad that Flight Sims like Falcon 4 aren't very popular anymore. But then again I've kinda moved on from sim genre myself.

I'm a little sad that there aren't more modern Homeworld-style RTSs.

I'm a little sad that modern FPS multiplayer games are mostly concerned with being ultra-realistic combat sims, instead of being whacky speedy fun like UT2k4 was.

Other then that, I almost always prefer more modern titles. This generation has a rich depth of really awesome games that simply would not have been possible to make in the past. Starcraft 2 and the Mass Effect series for example.

ha back in the day you would pick up a gaming magazine and it would have a program to type out in basic for a game. played my first crpg that way. a 10,000 line monster of a thing that took 3 months to completely debug. spent 18 months playing and tweaking that dungeon crawl :D

ive got a nostaligic view of gaming but thanks to sites like gog.com ive learned its not rose coloUred glasses they were damn good games. crusader no remorse still stacks up well today

Yes and No on nostalgia, depends on the person/people/whatever. I prefer classic gaming from the late 90's and early 2000's because there was still a lot of experimenting in mainstream gaming, a lot of the focus was on bringing an amazing experience instead of something a lot of people are just content with, there was interesting story's and deep game play mechanics in some games, and there were many different types of games to choose from.

I can't answer your other questions, I don't know you well enough. However, I do think games today are focusing on making everything more flashy and realistic instead being creative and artistic. Bloody FPS's everywhere!

Almost any thing that just has great graphics will sell better than a game with greater game play, design, atmosphere, story's, characters, etc. I really don't mean to be rude, but I think it's just a lot of people have really low standards.

have a better time with the newer games, okay, now what?

Shawn MacDonald:

Does that make you feel clever?

Nazulu:

Shawn MacDonald:

Have a better question, do you feel clever for pointing out my attempt to not be clever? You have nothing but pawns on the board my friend, check and mate, lol.

Ya, same here.

I think of games I played as a kid and... nothing. I enjoyed them at the time and I think some of them were pretty good, but I don't regard them as the product of some kind of golden age and I consider them massively inferior to what is available today.

If a generous time traveller had interrupted my eight-year-old self's session of Flashback: Quest for Identity and presented me with a copy of Deus Ex: Human Revolution it would have comprehensively blown my poor little mind.

Shawn MacDonald:

Nazulu:

Shawn MacDonald:

Have a better question, do you feel clever for pointing out my attempt to not be clever? You have nothing but pawns on the board my friend, check and mate, lol.

Yes, yes. Now about staying on topic and actually contributing something. You more in tune with modern games or classic games?

Of course nostalgia affects what you think of gaming. If all you know is modern gaming then of course you won't notice the difference.

A lot of things have improved (story, technology) but a lot has got worse :/ ( Lack of single player features, this generations obsessions with being "gritty" or "realistic")

Unfortunatly replaying timesplitters 2 once again with one of my mates has reminded me what we have lost :/

Or the recent discovery of system shock 2.

Back in the day people were still trying to work out what people liked. And as a result we got a lot of different things and experimental things. Yes a lot of great games failed commercially. These days they have worked out what people like, and so stick to it :/

Nazulu:

Shawn MacDonald:

Nazulu:

Yes, yes. Now about staying on topic and actually contributing something. You more in tune with modern games or classic games?

Have more fun with classic games. You know something that is crazy, I like modern games as well. Realized a long time ago that saying no to something for stupid reasons is not a good enough excuse not to to try them. Alot of closed minded people out there. Grew up playing the nes, snes, and ps1. Of course you must realize at some point that games have to grow up and keep in touch with current tech. Now the reason I say I have had more fun with classic games is because I played more of them, so my memory goes with what it knows.

Vault101:

I guess it comes down to personal memories. Overall i think gaming has improved. Otherwise it wouldn`t be so hard to replay some of the old stuff (this goes mostly for 3d).

Not bothering and getting used to things is normal if you`re a gamer who hasn`t started just yesterday. The i-net spoils a lot with trailers and most of the time you know what to expect if you start playing a new game. The only games who can really keep my nostalgic feelings are the old Lucasarts adventures, because they don`t do many of those anymore. Even then i would love to see more HD remakes with the quality of the monkey island collection.

You mentioned Donkey Kong country which i would love to replay.

sorry double post

Vault101:

I'd say no. I've played many games that people frequently get accused of nostalgia over (e.g., Deus Ex, Planescape: Torment, Super Metroid) years or decades after they were released and can pretty much confirm that, yep, you don't need nostalgia goggles to find them incredibly good games or solidly better than their modern-day counterparts.

overpuce:
Christ, you all are so young. One of the first games that I loved as a child was Shuffle Puck Cafe. Ahhh memories.

]

I haven't found a decent Shuffle Puck game ever in my years of gaming. =P

However, what I do like about modern gaming is that it's been able to give us compelling narratives while giving up super shiny graphics. In the olden days, narratives were largely reserved for text based dungeon crawlers because well you could only do so much with 1.44 MB or less.

Now, you've got the best of both worlds, Game Play and Story Telling and that is what I love about modern gaming.

I don;t even....what?

what the fuck is that on hte left side of the table?...a dinosour?

Shawn MacDonald:
Have more fun with classic games. You know something that is crazy, I like modern games as well. Realized a long time ago that saying no to something for stupid reasons is not a good enough excuse not to to try them. Alot of closed minded people out there. Grew up playing the nes, snes, and ps1. Of course you must realize at some point that games have to grow up and keep in touch with current tech. Now the reason I say I have had more fun with classic games is because I played more of them, so my memory goes with what it knows.

Good point, quite a few older gamers don't remember when they are young that they are easier to entertain and have more time to play more. That's where nostalgia can be confused as well.

I don't exactly know what you mean 'games have to grow up and keep in touch with current tech'.

Also, what were the 'stupid reasons' to not try games?

Vault101:

NO NO NO NO NO and NO!

I'm only 22, and I started seriously gaming about 2000 when I was 10. There were many older games that I just recently played and enjoyed them more that the new ones. For instance I played Fallout 3 first, and I hated it. Then I played the first two, and loved them. Bioshock was also boring, but then I played System shock 2 and loved it.
You have no idea how low the RPG genre has fallen, and I'm not even going to talk about the shooter genre.

Nazulu:

Shawn MacDonald:

Good point, quite a few older gamers don't remember when they are young that they are easier to entertain and have more time to play more. That's where nostalgia can be confused as well.

I don't exactly know what you mean 'games have to grow up and keep in touch with current tech'.

Also, what were the 'stupid reasons' to not try games?

Have people out there that think that the past can't ever be topped. You see people not giving things a chance. Don't like to look at the past like that. Really had fun with those games back in the day and I can still enjoy them today. Alot of gamers that think the past is a waste of time because the newer games have better graphics and bigger stories. Got to say that fun is measured in how much you enjoy the product, not all this other crap. Of course some gamers avoid genres all together. Not ever going to play a puzzle game because there is nobody to shoot, but if they gave it a chance, they might just be suprised.

Imbechile:

Vault101:

NO NO NO NO NO and NO!

I'm only 22, and I started seriously gaming about 2000 when I was 10. There were many older games that I just recently played and enjoyed them more that the new ones. For instance I played Fallout 3 first, and I hated it. Then I played the first two, and loved them. Bioshock was also boring, but then I played System shock 2 and loved it.
You have no idea how low the RPG genre has fallen, and I'm not even going to talk about the shooter genre.

I found the first fallout to be so painful to watch/play...Im not saying its bad but perhaps there are certain things I find apealing and certin things I don't care about

Nostalga is something for crotchety old men and delusional gamers who wish they were old men so they would have an excuse for being crotchety.

Nostalgra definitely effects how people look at games in a negative way. They always think things were better in the good old days and this makes them more adverse to any kind of change. They immediatly start to hate on it without ever giving it a chance.

daveman247:
this generations obsessions with being "gritty" or "realistic")

Pretty much every generayion has been obsessed with realistic. Its just that in this current generation they are actually getting close to the realistic look.

Hard question, maybe.
I was born in 92 and play games since 95. I can distinguish good games even without nostalgia googles, Banjo Kazooie for example is highly playable today, any Super Mario and Zelda the same. Goldenye on the other hand becomes hard to play after newer and better controls.
Games like Agent, Comander Keen or Prince on the other hand are kinda simple today and not that good, but still enjoyable :)

My problem with modern gaming is just Rare left Nintendo :(

No, because I have yet to play a racing game that allows 4 player split screen that is as much fun as Crash Team Racing.

I still enjoy plenty of modern games and think they blow older games out of the water in certain fields, but the same can be said for some older games.

I don't judge games based on the year they were released, but by the content and the enjoyment/experience I get out of them.

Shawn MacDonald:
Have people out there that think that the past can't ever be topped. You see people not giving things a chance. Don't like to look at the past like that. Really had fun with those games back in the day and I can still enjoy them today. Alot of gamers that think the past is a waste of time because the newer games have better graphics and bigger stories. Got to say that fun is measured in how much you enjoy the product, not all this other crap. Of course some gamers avoid genres all together. Not ever going to play a puzzle game because there is nobody to shoot, but if they gave it a chance, they might just be suprised.

I agree with all of that. Actually, I've found today's gaming scene is like commercial music you see and hear every where, and it's what a lot of young gamers today adjust to really quick because of this inescapable media. Also, because of the huge differences compared to modern and classic gaming, it's very difficult for a lot of these people to even just watch pixelated games, old 3D games and even sometimes something that's based somewhere else other than earth.

From what I've seen in modern (mainstream) gaming, the graphics are great, but everything else is lacking. Even these so called bigger story's aren't unique in any way.

Das Boot:
Nostalga is something for crotchety old men and delusional gamers who wish they were old men so they would have an excuse for being crotchety.

daveman247:
this generations obsessions with being "gritty" or "realistic")

Pretty much every generayion has been obsessed with realistic. Its just that in this current generation they are actually getting close to the realistic look.

You`re a bit hard on good ol`nostalgia.
Not everyone with fond memories of the past shoves a "back in my days" down your throat and even if, it`s not always meant offensive.
You know how old people are with telling stories (insert smilling emoticon here).

There are some games from the past which were good. Fine, cool, whatever. But there's also a lot that have either aged badly (lookin' at you, Deus Ex) or are just purely banking on nostalgia nowadays.

I have nostalgia for older games of my youth, but this is pretty justified because a lot of the games I own for older systems are pretty awesome. In fact, I've recently been replaying Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and It's been just as fun as when I did it 7 years ago.

I don't have nostalgia. The oldest game I still have came out in 1999. Everything else is from this generation.

I've been gaming since the late 80s. There are many games I miss from the previous generations in concept and in story. However, their execution has not aged well at all. I love that most modern games are orders of magnitude more enjoyable to play even if the concepts and stories are rehashes or "safe".

I also appreciate how engaging modern titles can be. I would not give up Arkham City, StarCraft 2, Guild Wars 2, Diablo 3 and many others for the sake of bringing back "the good ol' times". Many games I loved from previous generations (FF6, Phantasy Star 2 + 4) are an absolute bore to play from a mechanics stand point. If I play them, it is strictly for the story. I like that modern day story-driven games can be played for the story AND the gameplay.

If anything, I would love a Phantasy Star 4 remake using the DA:O system of pause-able real-time strategy combat also including the 100s of possible combination techniques available in the original.

I'm not entirely sure I have nostalgia. Partly because I replay a lot of my older games (or I used to, back when I had time) and I've found that some of them (like Timesplitters) controlled like ass and was terrible. Same with playing some N64 games, or putting Armoured Core 2 back in the PS3. And replaying Final Fantasy VII... It's been blown up so much replaying it was bloody disappointing. And Metal Gear Solid controls terribly.

I mean, I remember them awfully fondly, but a lot of those games were just terrible. I simply have forgotten the terrible bits, and have been left with rose-tinted glasses. Playing the games now... It's taking off the glasses and stepping on them.

That said, Command and Conquer Generals is still pretty damn good. Dawn of War. Some Final Fantasies. But there is a reason that my PS3 and Xbox 360 are out and my older consoles are packed away. Because the newer games are generally better games.

Rocket knight i loved as a kid, probably why im fond of steam punk as the game now i look back on it is quite steam punky.

I also just realised there was a new on released last year i shall have to give it a go and see how my nostalga holds up x)

Das Boot:

They could at least put the colour back in >_>

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked