Another Deus Ex game?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

No I am not announcing Deus Ex: Social Convention. I am asking You, the people, if you would like to see another deus ex game, and how would you like it.
Personally, I like Adam Jensen but not enough for sequelage. New guy, New Augs, New trenchcoat.

Afaik, I don't think there could be another prequel (between HR and the original).

Another Deus Ex game would mean a sequel to IW I think, and i'd be all for that. It's a great universe with great possibilities.

HR was my favorite game released last year, so I'm all for it. And I do like Jensen, I'd love to see him return.

Wouldn't mind a Deus Ex game with a blank slate protagonist, ala Mass Effect or Dragon Age. Seems like the next logical evolution for the series.

Maybe if another developer handles it. HR was horribly, horribly designed.

Take the stealth kills, for instance. First, you have the fact that you have to watch a cutscene every time you want to punch somebody. Then, they limit you to one punch every minute or so, until you level up your stamina. And even then, your stamina will never fully recharge for some reason, unless you eat a rare item. So essentially you'll never have more than one bar of stamina, meaning the melee, stealth, and leveling systems are all broken. In a stealth RPG.

Then there's that wonderfully useful hacking skill that literally does nothing. Fortunately, I had lost enough faith in the devs that I went with my gut and avoided it the whole game.

Then there's the fact that the skill trees are so short and XP is so plentiful that by the end of the game you'll have maxed out every skill, making distinct play styles non-existent.

And the boss fights are terrible. I know and don't care that Eidos outsourced them. They still signed off on the final product and put their name on it.

And the ending was garbage. A dumb, easy boss fight, and then a magical destiny button machine.

God, what a shitty game. It still makes me pissed off thinking about it.

distortedreality:

Another Deus Ex game would mean a sequel to IW I think, and i'd be all for that. It's a great universe with great possibilities.

I loved Jensen's mechanical augs more than the concept of nano augs. :(

Some people believe the next Deus Ex protagonist could likely be Paul Denton. (He's already got the Trenchcoat, someone just hand him a pair of shades and we'll be good to go.)

There's still a pretty large gap between the events of Human Revolution, and the first Deus Ex. So maybe something can still take place in that gap? Perhaps we can see the transfer between mechanical augs and nanotech augs, as well as the massive conspiracies that obviously took place behind this transfer.

There's a conspiracy behind almost everything in Deus Ex, after all.

BloatedGuppy:
Wouldn't mind a Deus Ex game with a blank slate protagonist, ala Mass Effect or Dragon Age. Seems like the next logical evolution for the series.

You think so? I mean, we've always had a predetermined protagonist in Deus Ex so far. Maybe this is somewhat of a staple to the franchise.

I'm not opposed to the idea of letting us make a blank slate. Personally, I think Deus Ex would be very interesting if we had a female protagonist.

majora13:
snip

That's too bad. Even considering all that, it was still my personal Game of the Year for 2011.

If another dev decides to try to do a Deus Ex game, that would be fine. I just want the series to continue. I think as a whole, the series still has tons of potential.

Tohuvabohu:
You think so? I mean, we've always had a predetermined protagonist in Deus Ex so far. Maybe this is somewhat of a staple to the franchise.

I'm not opposed to the idea of letting us make a blank slate. Personally, I think Deus Ex would be very interesting if we had a female protagonist.

We have, but Denton and Jensen weren't particularly memorable, and I think it would be an interesting world to explore with a character of your own creation. Bioware showed with Shepard and (to a lesser degree) Hawke that you can give the player agency over the character and still have that character be a strong presence in the game world. I'd argue that Shepard in particular is a much more memorable character than Jensen OR Denton, despite not really being a "character" at all.

And yes, I'd love to see a female protagonist in the DE universe. We've done the growling noir detective. I'd like to see the universe through a different pair of eyes.

Tohuvabohu:

distortedreality:

I loved Jensen's mechanical augs more than the concept of nano augs. :(

Some people believe the next Deus Ex protagonist could likely be Paul Denton. (He's already got the Trenchcoat, someone just hand him a pair of shades and we'll be good to go.)

There's still a pretty large gap between the events of Human Revolution, and the first Deus Ex. So maybe something can still take place in that gap? Perhaps we can see the transfer between mechanical augs and nanotech augs, as well as the massive conspiracies that obviously took place behind this transfer.

There's a conspiracy behind almost everything in Deus Ex, after all.

Personally I don't think there's enough there for an entire game.

I could see it being some sort of expansion, but definitely not a whole game.

As far as mech vs nano augs, I do tend to agree. The augs in HR are awesome, and are definitely more useful on the whole than the augs in the original. I think that comes down to technology available when the game was made more than the lore though. I think nano-augs are a way more interesting basis for a game though.

If Eidos Montreal makes another deus Ex game, you can be sure I will pick it up. Human revolution was my favorite game of last year, hands down.

However I think their only options are to a) Remake the first game b) make a sequel to invisible war c) Make a game about Paul denton.

Personally, I would love to see the first game remade. As much as I loved the first deus ex, it felt really clunky in some ways.

BloatedGuppy:

Tohuvabohu:

We have, but Denton and Jensen weren't particularly memorable, and I think it would be an interesting world to explore with a character of your own creation. Bioware showed with Shepard and (to a lesser degree) Hawke that you can give the player agency over the character and still have that character be a strong presence in the game world. I'd argue that Shepard in particular is a much more memorable character than Jensen OR Denton, despite not really being a "character" at all.

And yes, I'd love to see a female protagonist in the DE universe. We've done the growling noir detective. I'd like to see the universe through a different pair of eyes.

I just remembered that IW let you create a Female Alex.

I did beat IW as a male and attempted another playthrough as a Female. But, she was... literally completely forgettable. I mean I completely forgot that she even existed until now. True that Deus Ex doesn't have the most memorable protagonists, but even by that standard, femAlex was truly forgettable.

It's true that Bioware has a pretty good balance between male and female Shepards in Mass Effect. (I wonder how many developers are capable of pulling this off. Invisible War; on top of every other thing it did completely wrong, sure as hell didn't.) Doesn't the canon of IW consider Alex as a male?

Since Deus Ex and Human Revolution had a more "focused" approach in their protagonist. Then perhaps another Deus Ex focus on a female as it's protagonist. There's plenty of female augs in the game universe that proved to be very, very dangerous. Why can't we have that? And I mean, actually have a canon female protagonist who is more than slightly memorable, instead of completely forgettable.

distortedreality:

Personally I don't think there's enough there for an entire game.

I could see it being some sort of expansion, but definitely not a whole game.

As far as mech vs nano augs, I do tend to agree. The augs in HR are awesome, and are definitely more useful on the whole than the augs in the original. I think that comes down to technology available when the game was made more than the lore though. I think nano-augs are a way more interesting basis for a game though.

I could be wrong, but I think there's a 30 year gap between the two. If we don't get a prequel, then I do sincerely wonder what revolutionary things took place in this time.

I believe you're right though. If nano-tech was revisited with the game technology we have now, I'm sure they'd be alot more... awesome.

I guess.

I'd much prefer it to be set during the era of mechanical graft augmentations. The nano stuff is utterly boring in comparison, both visually and conceptually.

Also, I'd like a whole new stroyline. Zero connection to the events of the original, IW or HR.

Lastly, +1 to above comments regarding a female protagonist. That would be cool.

Tohuvabohu:

I could be wrong, but I think there's a 30 year gap between the two. If we don't get a prequel, then I do sincerely wonder what revolutionary things took place in this time.

I believe you're right though. If nano-tech was revisited with the game technology we have now, I'm sure they'd be alot more... awesome.

There is a fair gap - can't remember exactly what it is, but i've actually just about finished a new play through of DXHR, and it honestly feels like the original could be 5-10 years after HR. All the info and technology is there for the original to be a direct follow up, and it becomes even more apparent when you consider the ages of some of the main characters in the series (Bob Page for starters).

I just don't the lore leaves space for another prequel. I'm not saying I wouldn't mind another prequel, I just really don't think there's room for it.

Zhukov:

I'd much prefer it to be set during the era of mechanical graft augmentations. The nano stuff is utterly boring in comparison, both visually and conceptually.

Really? No offense, but can I hear your reasoning behind this? I get the visual aspect, but the conceptual thing i'm struggling with.

distortedreality:

Yes, I personally ended IW by killing everyone
So struggle against Omar would be great

If another Deus Ex game were to be made, I'd imagine that it would take place between Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Deus Ex. I'd guess that it'd probably focus on the Northwest War and the NSF.

Treat Invisible War as though it never existed and create a better sequel to Deus Ex.

Given the time-span between HR and the original, I think another Deus Ex game could be done successfully. I'd personally like to see a new character, though the challenge in doing that would be fitting him/her in with the existing lore. Still, that shouldn't pose too much difficulty for skilled writers.

Also, I agree with Majora about some of the gameplay issues, but I have faith that Eidos would learn from the shortcomings of HR and tweak their leveling system to give merit to all skills (as opposed to having some that are utterly useless and others that are essential). I see the Deus Ex world as capable of providing a Mass Effect-like experience, and Eidos likewise capable of delivering one, provided they don't make the same ending missteps (including the pick-a-button, get-an-ending gimmick).

majora13:
Take the stealth kills, for instance. First, you have the fact that you have to watch a cutscene every time you want to punch somebody. Then, they limit you to one punch every minute or so, until you level up your stamina. And even then, your stamina will never fully recharge for some reason, unless you eat a rare item. So essentially you'll never have more than one bar of stamina, meaning the melee, stealth, and leveling systems are all broken. In a stealth RPG.

Exaggeration sullies your point. The batteries don't take even close to a minute to recharge (even on the lowest rung of the skill ladder), whilst the energy bars are hardly rare.

If all they changed in another was the setting, story, and that you could recharge more than one god damn bar of energy, I'd buy it.

HR was awesome.

I have enough YES'es to fill the binding of War and Peace. Human Revolution was my GOTY last year.

I would adore a brand new game, or a remake of the original Deus Ex with all the bells and whistles of Human Revolution (complete with blue-themed art direction because MY VISION IS AUGMENTED.) I'm currently playing Deus Ex GOTY on my computer and while I absolutely adore most of it (including the visuals, believe it or not,) the gunplay is not that satisfying at all, even by the standards of the era. I'm not asking for Unreal Tournament, but surely it could have had smarter enemies and a faster pace, right?

HR and DX are on opposite ends. HR nudges you towards combat while DX nudges you towards stealth. As badass as sneaking around can be, neither extreme is really ideal for a series that prides itself on choice. If they can make the "combat pillar" as compelling as the stealth/exploration, it'd be perfect.

I think a yes is in order. Maybe something dealing with the utter downfall of America as a super power? That part of the story always fascinated me. Though if they do they risk losing what made Deus Ex HR so good environment wise; you wont be able to instantly look around and say "Holy shit, this could happen" but still, would love to see it.

GiantRaven:

majora13:

Exaggeration sullies your point. The batteries don't take even close to a minute to recharge (even on the lowest rung of the skill ladder), whilst the energy bars are hardly rare.

They take quite a while. Maybe not a full minute, but I did say "or so" to indicate it wasn't an exact quantity. The point is, the recharge time is a pointless limitation to buff out the skill tree, and it completely throws off the stealth gameplay. And the bars are rare. Rare enough that they make very little impact on the gameplay. I expected these problems to be alleviated once I upgraded to multiple energy bars, but energy never recharges past one bar. I figure that Eidos just forgot to fix that before shipping. It would be far from the only thing they forgot to fix. It's not an exaggeration to say that game was a mess.

I all for a sequel that recons out IW so we can let all memory of that sequel fade from existance.

Yeah, I'd love a sequel to Deus Ex: HR, but I think Jenson's story is done. Since he's not a god or the chosen one, it doesn't really make sense for him to have any more epic adventures. I think he's played his part in that universe already.

I agree with the earlier comments about mechanical augmentations being more fun and interesting than nano augs.

It'd probably be difficult to cater to the player's end choice in Deus Ex HR, since they lead to three completely different situations, so maybe a game that happens at the same time as Jenson's story, but with a new protagonist, could work? I'm also not sure how they'd create the same sense of mystery that was present in Deus Ex HR.

I'd like to see a spiritual sequel more that a direct one. The themes and feelings of the games is great, but I'd like to see a little more RPG in the next one.

But make it without "Deus Ex" in the title so that it doesn't have the shadow over it. A combination of the original Perfect Dark and Deus Ex would be sex on a plate.

Captcha: "Oh Yes"

SirBryghtside:
It seems likely, from the message at the end of the credits of the DLC pack for HR. It'd probably be a future version, seeing as we've already seen the beginning and the middle. Would be great to set it around a century after, so we can have the same plot elements but without any of the annoying canon.

majora13:
It's not an exaggeration to say that game was a mess.

I know it sounds crazy, and I'm not expecting you to agree with me here, but that's one of the things I loved about Human Revolution. It felt... old. From the era when they hadn't quite worked out game mechanics, and so threw a load of stuff together to see what would happen. Can't say I blame you for disliking that, but I thought it was one of those games where a great experience happens by accident.

We're running out of those games.

Ahh... I don't necessarily agree with you, but I think I get your point. Fair enough.

I would definitely like another entry in the Deus Ex franchise. That being said, a female protagonist this time around (female Alex doesn't count) would be nice.

Absolutely yes - just so long as they continue to push for something more reactionary and open.

And I'd say no to Adam again. Great character, and I'd be happy for him to reappear, but it'd be nice to have someone new.

BloatedGuppy:

Gotta disagree. JC's not really a great example, but (minus the cutscenes) Jensen was a defining example of how to write an interesting character that can still allow for player-input in shaping their personality.

majora13:
Maybe if another developer handles it. HR was horribly, horribly designed.

Then there's that wonderfully useful hacking skill that literally does nothing. Fortunately, I had lost enough faith in the devs that I went with my gut and avoided it the whole game.

Then there's the fact that the skill trees are so short and XP is so plentiful that by the end of the game you'll have maxed out every skill, making distinct play styles non-existent.

That's called 'balancing'. If you don't have the energy to smack someone about then try shooting/sneaking/blowing them up/throwing boxes at them/hacking turrets. Likewise, there are more than enough restoration bars throughout the game, should you look.

'Then there's that wonderfully useful hacking skill that literally does nothing'

It's pretty useful if you want to do any background reading, explore alternate routes, hack turrets, or turn off cameras.

I can agree that the skill system could use a re-jiggle to make you feel a little more defined in your play-style by the end, but it doesn't need much of one.

BloatedGuppy:

Tohuvabohu:

Well the Deus Ex leads are blank slates sure they share some character tropes no matter what dialogue options you pick but that's not how characterization works in Deus Ex... unlike Mass Effect or Dragon Age where you're limited to characterization through dialogue and choices limiting player participation in the development of the character... Deus Ex's lead characters worked on a more personal level... you weren't making obvious choices they aren't laid out for us... our characters are a projection of how we act in the game, with a more complex personality that we assign to them through the actual gameplay... that's why the character dialogue in Deus Ex has always been so... neutral... you can make choices in dialogue but it never has too big of an effect on gameplay, it's not restrictive and it isn't treated by the game as being good or evil options... because it's a garnish on top to move the story along not the main focus of characterization... the main focus is in the players head and through the character building options in the leveling system(even though that didn't particularly work in HR)... it may seem archaic but it's IMO the best way you can encourage actual role playing in video games... which have limited character options...

OT: yeah I'd love to see new one... the original is still mah favorite game of all time... I liked the stealth in the new one but they need a lot of polish in level design, and ned to understand how to restrict the player options to encourage role playing... because by the end of HR all Adam Jensens were exactly the same... character build wise... while it doesn't kill role playing it certainly does help if you're restricted to building your character a certain way that fits your own personal play style...

Of course I would love another Deus Ex game but I would prefer it to be either a re-imagining or at very least entirely unconnected with the previous games. HR already felt like straining to keep it consistent by adding in names from the original, but it felt like a different setting altogether. Every subsequent game will only add more and more to a bloated mess of references and conspiracies while not really gaining much from it. Conspiracies are greatest when you aren't sure what is real and what isn't, discovering for the first time, stumbling in the dark. We've already discovered the greatest conspiracies in the world in the 2 DE games so far and I think now is the time for a fresh page or we'll just end up adding more and more ridiculous shit on top of everything discovered so far in an effort to outdo the previous games.

I wouldn't mind another Deus Ex game but i'd love to see non-lethal playthroughs become a little harder, I rolled through the game easy as all hell playing it non-lethal.

fireaura08:
I would definitely like another entry in the Deus Ex franchise. That being said, a female protagonist this time around (female Alex doesn't count) would be nice.

Yeah I always role play as a girl in games... it's just a lot of fun... it'd be nice to do it in the Deus Ex franchise... and the writing would facilitate itself well to it too... more than just having male or female I'd like to see the sliders like in Saints Row 2... so I can be a heavily augmented David Bowie... but that's just a pipe dream... also it probably wouldn't work too well given the limited nature of character creation in the Deus Ex games...<.<

Human Revolution ended with many unanswered questions, especially if you played "The Missing Link", which btw is a nice name to describe "content that should have been in the game". At one point it is indicated that Jensen will "be found". If they do follow up on that, he's at least going to be mentioned or featured in the next game, even if he's not the main character anymore.

Time will tell, but I think it's pretty safe to assume that we will see a new game in the series.

Ickorus:
I wouldn't mind another Deus Ex game but i'd love to see non-lethal playthroughs become a little harder, I rolled through the game easy as all hell playing it non-lethal.

Heh should try going non lethal in the original... it's damn near impossible given how fast you die and how unforgiving the game can be if you're not a stealth character... minus the health regen aug that I make a point not to use...<.<

also non lethal weapons aren't worth a damn save the gas grenade...

Not necessarily a sequel to HR but I'd love to see anoth one, with a few changes such as the horrible outsourced boss fights that railroaded you into combat, and some more options when it comes to completing missions.

Sacman:

Ickorus:

Heh should try going non lethal in the original... it's damn near impossible given how fast you die and how unforgiving the game can be if you're not a stealth character... minus the health regen aug that I make a point not to use...<.<

also non lethal weapons aren't worth a damn save the gas grenade...

I did try it once in the original game, ended up going on a rampage in Hell's Kitchen out of sheer frustration.

I will admit I was about 11 at the time and had a very short attention span.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked