49.5% (96)
Health stuff
29.9% (58)
29.9% (58)
Money
20.1% (39)
20.1% (39)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: In Fallout 3/NV, which do you like finding more?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So in Fallout 3 and New Vegas, which findable thing gives you the biggest joy when you find it

I'd say I prefer finding health or ammo, I don't really buy that much anyway

I like finding ammo. It's like Christmas coming early. But in survival mode or w/e it's called, it's always useful to find precooked food and purified water.

In both games I was soon rolling in resources of all kinds, so finding more stuff didn't matter much.

Zhukov:
In both games I was soon rolling in resources of all kinds, so finding more stuff didn't matter much.

A fellow hoarder eh
I usually drag around FAR more than i actually need to complete the game
Like a third minigun, to repair the miniguns i am already using
Rather ridiculously unreal

I was swimming in all of those things, I liked finding unique items though.

Gonna have to say ammunition.

I found that both games were overly generous with healing items, and since I tend to pick up everything of reasonable value to drop on vendors I usually end up swimming Scrouge McDuck-style in caps... so that leaves ammo.

Really though, I don't feel particularly strong about any of the three. I'm usually much happier to find weapon or armor upgrades (especially uniques) and Bobbleheads/Skill Books.

Mostly health, stimpax and that kind of thing. My limbs seem to be constantly at 1% health so more often than not my arms get blown off faster than you can say 'THREEEEEE DDOOOGGGGG!'

If I'm in Hardcore mode, I'd MUCH rather find stims.

For me it depends on what i'm doing within the game at the time. Like if i'm fighting my way through Old Olney and I don't have Fawkes with me i'll thank whatever god that is listening when I find another Stimpack or Bottlecap mine.

Most of the time though, it's ammo. Especially Mini Nukes or Bottlecap Mines, because there is no kill like overkill.

Whenever I find Pre-war money, I always get happy as hell. They are worth ten caps and they weigh nothing. I can use them to buy mountains and mountains of stimpacks.

TheOneBearded:
Whenever I find Pre-war money, I always get happy as hell. They are worth ten caps and they weigh nothing. I can use them to buy mountains and mountains of stimpacks.

Who would have thought cigarettes were so damn valuable? A carton is like 40 caps.

Jitters Caffeine:

TheOneBearded:

Who would have thought cigarettes were so damn valuable? A carton is like 40 caps.

True, but the carton weighs a full pound. That pound could be the difference between running to New Vegas and slowly, SLOWLY walking to it. Good God, I hate being over encumbered.

Zhukov:

Yes. This. Fallout really drops the ball on this.

In the very earliest moments of Fallout 3 I had like...10 bullets. And I'm meant to go into this supermarket and wipe out this nest of heavily armed Raiders. And I'm counting my bullets and thinking "Oh god, I need to make every shot count", because my backup weapon is a baseball bat and I'm wearing a leather jacket over my underwear for protection.

That was EXCITING.

Blowing away Super Mutants with my super powered assault rifle for which I have 2500 rounds of ammunition is also fun, but in a much less tense and gripping way.

I'd really like it if these post nuclear games were more about survival. Even STALKER was pretty generous with ammo and food. Although to be fair it was also more generous with making me shit my pants.

I'm happy to find -everything-. I'm a scavenger at heart, and everything that isn't nailed to the floor (or owner-tagged) goes right into the swag-bag. It's always worth a few caps somewhere.

Of course, I ended up pretending that most of the ammo and medicine in Fallout 3/NV were too old and weathered to be usable, to keep things challening... If Fallout 4 needs anything, it's a more meaningful difficulty-slider.

Also, even if I can't smoke them in-game, I still get exited when I find some surviving cigarettes. Always keeps a pack in my inventory.

Zhukov:

This is kind of a problem in all of Bethesda's games (including NV for the sake of argument). Treasure isn't scarce enough to justify uncertainty about essential resources. Almost everything has value, and even casual scavenging will yield tremendous wealth over time. This is especially problematic in the Fallout universe. After all, aren't I supposed to be scrounging to get by like everyone else? I mean, sure, my character's a total badass with no reason to fear death, but still...

OT: In hardcore mode, meds are the most valuable resource for me. I always try to carry enough to tide me over in case shit goes to hell fast. This is especially important in Hardcore mode because I can't just sleep in some random bed to cure what ails me, as opposed to FO3, where beds were so common that meds were basically a luxury item.

Health and money were never an issue, ammo on the other hand was me getting down on my knees and praying to fallout god when I found the type of ammo when I needed. This is of course going from my first play through of both games, before I knew where the sweet spots were.

Also I find it funny in every let's play I watched that people were lacking so many stimpacks that I had found with ease and what's worse is they never took advantage of the beds which are essentially unlimited healing.

TheOneBearded:

Jitters Caffeine:

TheOneBearded:

True, but the carton weighs a full pound. That pound could be the difference between running to New Vegas and slowly, SLOWLY walking to it. Good God, I hate being over encumbered.

just drop it on the ground then grab it with "z" and run with it to the city :P problem solved!

OT: ammo is the one i run out of the quickest, health i can do whatever about, and caps i tend to have an abundant amount of

I need ammo to kill super mutants. If had money i would buy more ammo.

Money I needed to buy more ammo. Health was fairly useless to me; I played hardcore and placed limits on how much I'd use stimpaks (like only when I was safe from fire behind cover or something), and ammo I would break apart and turn into more useful ammo, and be carrying 89 kilos of lead. No matter how much of it I had, I always wanted more ammo.

Unique weapons, mostly. I hoard like a beast. My Novac room has weapons and grenades stacked throughout it, except for the bathroom, which is full of liquids (alcohols, nuka-cola in all flavours, sunset sarsparilla, the works). I have to drop the drinks like that because I don't have the inventory space for them. I've never really been short health, ammo, or cash.

Mainly, I'd prefer ammo, particularly .308 and 5.56, since my favorite guns tend to use those, and those are much more common than .50 MG and 12.7. Stims are nice, and so are caps, but since I, like many others who have posted, am a scavenger, so money isn't much of an issue. In fact, on my latest play-through of Fallout: New Vegas, I've just recently gotten to level 14, and I already have over 30,000 caps, and now that I have Jury Rigging, I'm sure to make more money even faster.

But, the holy grail of wasteland finds for me is either duct tape, scrap electronics, scrap metal, or cartons of cigarettes. That's because with me, I hoard Weapon Repair Kits like crazy. Dead Money simply made it easier to get them, .308 rounds, and stims. The Sierra Madre really is a treasure trove, but for another reason entirely than you'd think.

i dont get excited for the items i find in them more for the visual narrative spots.. my favourite moment was finding a couple of gnomes making a teddy bear snuff film in fallout 3

In my Megaton home I have all my legendary and unique weapons stored in my file cabinet and all my legendary and unique armor in a desk, except for my T51-B, and I mean LEGIT T51-B not that easy gets it nancy-boy Winter T51-B Power Armor that you young whippersnappers got so easily... sorry I digress, its resting on my desk with Vengenace carefully set against the wall just next to the bed (and about 10,000 MF Cells in the safe...)

captcha: Hobby-horse... indeed... well done once again Captcha.

At first finding ammo was amazing.

Then I started getting all the ammo I could ever need.

One thing I liked about the Dead Money DLC is how it made finding ammo and health items incredibly relieving again. Before it was just "oh, another stimpack. Yay. *piles it onto the other 88*" or "Oh, more ammo. I have 500 bullets, so whatever".

In Dead Money it was more like "a health item? PRAISE THE GODS!" and "THANK ZEUS' GOLDEN BUTTHOLE I HAVE SOME AMMO NOW!".

Made things more tense.

I like running into health stuff. Food, especially. I always chuckle when I run into Cram.

Money because I was always needing it to repiar my armor. Plus I like the sound effect made when you find it.

In Fallout 3, ammo is weightless and therefore can practically be counted as another form of currency since you'll even be looting for ammo for a gun you don't use for the single purpose of being sold to a local vender for all his caps.

Seriously, open your own munition caravan, and you'll own the Capitol Wasteland three days out of the vault.

I friggin loved finding Pre-wat books that were still intact in Fallout 3. Since I convinced the brotherhood to give me a lot of caps for each book, finding them was like a treasure hunt. Plus finding magazines. I try to make myself hold off from using them so I can just stack them on a bookshelf or something.

Usually stimpaks, though I'd be quite happy with a nice box of ammo. But what makes me REALLY jump for joy is when i;m playing New Vegas on Hardcore mode, and I find a stash of purified water. It5's like having every Christmas for the past 500 years at once.

Jaeke:
In my Megaton home I have all my legendary and unique weapons stored in my file cabinet and all my legendary and unique armor in a desk, except for my T51-B, and I mean LEGIT T51-B not that easy gets it nancy-boy Winter T51-B Power Armor that you young whippersnappers got so easily... sorry I digress, its resting on my desk with Vengenace carefully set against the wall just next to the bed (and about 10,000 MF Cells in the safe...)

captcha: Hobby-horse... indeed... well done once again Captcha.

I don't see the big deal in the T-51B it's fugly

The more rare ammo types (.44, .50 cal) were always fun to see.

Sean Hollyman:

I don't see the big deal in the T-51B it's fugly

Thing is, it's ancient, and a bit of a legend in post-apocalyptic America. It's one of those mighty pre-war symbols, which explains the +1 Charisma it adds.
Now, it -is- ugly like nobody's business, I agree with you there. >.>

I did go grab it, though. Even if I couldn't and didn't need to use power armour, because it'd be a great addition to my private little museum I built up.

The Winter T-51B, on the other hand... Meh, those Outcasts can keep it. I took everything else, after all. And honestly, with the stealth suit, the gauss rifle and a blarmed electric sword... Who needs a tinsuit then?

Versus thread. Whee.

Ammo is basically money after a while, and after a longer while there's not much more need for that. Rarer ammo is still always a pleasant surprise. Health stuff too if I don't already have at least enough. Basically, whatever I'm in the most dire need for.

Definitely ammo. Some of the ammo is really expensive, so it's nice to find some, so that I don't have to buy it. I mean, I hoard all three of them, but ammo is something I actually use. I tend to avoid using health items as much as possible, so I usually end up with over 100 stimpaks sitting in my inventory.

Money.

I play my Fallout 3/NV like I should be on hoarders, taking everything I can and using none of it... Literally I got nearly every unique weapon in Fallout 3 (except the Reservist's rifle due to a glitch, Callahan's Magnum because I can't decide between it and Star Paladin Cross, and the Beta-Tesla cannon because I didn't know it existed until it was too late) and never used any of them. Since I never use my items, I like to stockpile them. Money just happens to be the number that can get the largest.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked