Would you play a game with foreign protagonists?
Yes
97.5% (756)
97.5% (756)
No
1.9% (15)
1.9% (15)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Would you play a game about non-Americans?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Of course. And while we're on the subject, I as an Australian deserve better characters than this:

Hell, give me an Aussie character voiced (and scripted) by MrDoodleBurger and I'm set:

NeutralDrow:
I already do.

I don't see how you can avoid doing so, unless you just play Call of Duty, single-player.

Russians and Brits make up just as much (if not more) of the single-player protagonists as Americans. Hell, I'd go so far as to name Call Of Duty as one of the most ethnically diverse games on the market.

Sure. I loved Metro 2033.

I already do.

The Last Melon:

[EDIT: Wow, did I get drowned in titles here. I was referring largely to military shooters in this context, and was thinking specifically of some of the hoo-rah of the Modern Warfare games.]

You mean the games who's main recurring protagonists are Soap McTavish, and Price? Both of which were British Nationals in the SAS? Or Roach in the second game, who had no nationality specified and was part of a multi-national (NON-US) Taskforce? The same game that had as the main villain a US General? Or are you referring to the third game where the main character is Yuri, a Russian Spetsnaz operative?

Why you I waste my time with a POS like that?

as long as they don't screw up or make the voices stereotypical.

pure.Wasted:

CoD and Battlefield, two of the best selling FPS titles around, make it a point to devote sections of the game to Brits, subtitled Russians, or other forms of non-Americans.

yes, but they almost always make it out so that is always the Americans that save the day

I would and I have. A lot of times actually.

Oh wait... No, I refuse to play a game about a character who isn't from my country. because it would be un-American.

I would be delighted at the opportunity to play something else than a muscle-bulging, grunting american marine.

Ix Rebound:

pure.Wasted:

CoD and Battlefield, two of the best selling FPS titles around, make it a point to devote sections of the game to Brits, subtitled Russians, or other forms of non-Americans.

yes, but they almost always make it out so that is always the Americans that save the day

In Call of Duty; MW3, the majority of the game is you playing as a Russian working with British Special forces.

For the past 3 CoD games (not counting Black Ops), it ends with the British guy saving the day.

So no, it's not even "almost always" they make it the Americans saving the day.

JoesshittyOs:

Ix Rebound:

pure.Wasted:

In Call of Duty; MW3, the majority of the game is you playing as a Russian working with British Special forces.

For the past 3 CoD games (not counting Black Ops), it ends with the British guy saving the day.

So no, it's not even "almost always" they make it the Americans saving the day.

im not just talking about COD and battlefield, there are hundreds of other games that almost always have Americans saving the day

Does Metro 2033 count as a military shooter?

I just want them to stop making the British the bad dudes in games.

Well Im from New Zealand. And a lot of the games I play are RPG's, hmmm is Skyrim in America?

Ix Rebound:

im not just talking about COD and battlefield, there are hundreds of other games that almost always have Americans saving the day

Just as there's hundreds of other games of Brits, Italians, elves, aliens, robots, Clone assassins, Space marines, yadada saving the day.

You only notice Americans because it's become socially acceptable to hate the country in recent years.

JoesshittyOs:

Ix Rebound:

Just as there's hundreds of other games of Brits, Italians, elves, aliens, robots, Clone assassins, Space marines, yadada saving the day.

You only notice Americans because it's become socially acceptable to hate the country in recent years.

im not hating on America, i just wished other countries besides the big 3 got the spotlight as the protagonists in more games.

Well Call of Duty had you switch between British dudes and American dudes. Battlefield because they got pretty much everyone that I can think of. Socom since it may or may not have allowed you to play as YOUR nationality. Deus Ex Protaganists because they don't have a nationality that you are ever told about. Lo Wang from Shadow Warrior for the PC-DOS, essentially Duke as a Japenese man. Blood's Protaganist, I think he is british, which is also for the DOS. Duke Nukem from Duke Nukem 1, 2 and 3D along with Forever, he wasn't born in the USA as far as I know, and is so far changed that it doesn't matter if he IS American he is so changed by drugs and what not that he doesn't have a nationality. Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad classes are not American so they count.

Otherwise, there are more games such as every JRPG character made in Japan or China is always Asian unless specified otherwise. The Sims don't have a nationality, so every Sim game made by Maxis or EA with Sim in the title. Destroy All Humans, your a Alien, not a citizen of America.

But this doesn't matter at all so open your eyes to the fact that there are plenty of Genres where you do not play a White American man.

endtherapture:
I just want them to stop making the British the bad dudes in games.

They were good guys in COD: Modern Warfare 2.

For games in general (games of all platform, genre, creed, flavor, etc) I like playing as non-humans in general. Elves, Blue Hedgehogs, Ninjas, Cyborg Ninjas, Cyborg Monkeys, bears...I love playing as non-human characters.

As for shooters (which I think is what you were referring to in a broader sense) then yes: I would be one of those people who would openly admit to wanting a WW2 FPS wherein you play (single player anyway) as a German. Not an undercover American or, Ally of any description but a game in which you play as Germany in WW2. With moral choices (I'll let that speak for itself and let your imaginations fill in the blank).

In less extreme terms yes. I want to play as other people. That was the whole appeal for Assassin's Creed when I very first heard about it. Sure Desmond is in it but he's a framing device more than a character...in the first two anyway, I haven't played the AC2 plot-branch games and don't plan to.

Ix Rebound:

Americans in CoD universe:

-Invade middle eastern country, die by nuclear explosion. Completely failing to catch the dictator they were after.
-Help the British(Who were the ones who reached the control room) stop a nuclear attack.
-Fail to stop Kamarov's escape(The British, and Russians got him.)
-Send an agent to infiltrate a terrorist organization. He is immediately caught and the US is implicated in a massacre of civilians.
-Get invaded by Russia, a country which has nowhere near the amount of important military hardware as the US(IE ships, planes, tanks.) Despite having been in a massive civil war with itself a few years prior.
-Fails so bad defending against the attack that they legitimately lose for a time and almost blow up the White House.
-Leading US military figure then betrays his allies, on some crazy ultra nationalist binge with delusions of an even more hyper militant US where he is a hero. (British kill him for being a lunatic)
-US Proceeds to attack the main protagonists of the game.
-Successfully hijack a Russian Nuclear sub and use its missiles against the Russian fleet in New York City. How the US Navy fucked up so hard that there was a Russian Navy in New York City in the first place is beyond me.
-Fails to prevent the invasion of Europe(Which is so bad that the Russians reach Paris) again occurring while the Russians are already fighting a war in the continental US. Because apparently the US sucks, so they have troops to throw around.
-Fails to save the Russian president being interrogated for missile codes. The US soldiers on the mission all die, and the British save him.
-Continue to have absolutely no idea where Mackarov is or what he is doing. The British are constantly on his heels. Yuri(Russian) and Price(British) track him down and kill him.
-Are able to negotiate peace.

How exactly do you get the picture that that is a good track record? Or that they are being made out as having saved the day at all? From what I can tell from the series, Russians are somehow super-men capable of fighting the entire world at once. Americans are like inspector clouseau the country; Constantly bumbling around the world failing to do anything right. While the British/Scottish run behind the scenes, fixing the US's constant parade of mistakes and failures.

Well I'm British, so I'd prefer a game with non-Americans, especially if the Americans were the bad guys.

My ideal game would feature a British protagonist with an American bad guy, especially if at first he looked like he was a good guy.

Mycroft Holmes:

Ix Rebound:

-Invade middle eastern country, die by nuclear explosion. Completely failing to catch the dictator they were after.
-Help the British(Who were the ones who reached the control room) stop a nuclear attack.
-Send an agent to infiltrate a terrorist organization. He is immediately caught and the US is implicated in a massacre of civilians.
-Get invaded by Russia, a country which has nowhere near the amount of important military hardware as the US(IE ships, planes, tanks.) Despite having been in a massive civil war with itself a few years prior.
-Fails so bad defending against the attack that they legitimately lose for a time and almost blow up the White House.
-Leading US military figure then betrays his allies, on some crazy ultra nationalist binge with delusions of an even more hyper militant US where he is a hero. (British kill him for being a lunatic)
-Successfully hijack a Russian Nuclear sub and use its missiles against the Russian fleet in New York City. How the US Navy fucked up so hard that there was a Russian Navy in New York City in the first place is beyond me.
-Fails to prevent the invasion of Europe(Which is so bad that the Russians reach Paris) again occurring while the Russians are already fighting a war in the continental US. Because apparently the US sucks, so they have troops to throw around.
-Fails to save the Russian president being interrogated for missile codes. The US soldiers on the mission all die, and the British save him.
-Continue to have absolutely no idea where Mackarov is or what he is doing. The British are constantly on his heels. Yuri(Russian) and Price(British) track him down and kill him.

How exactly do you get the picture that that is a good track record? Or that they are being made out as having saved the day at all? From what I can tell from the series, Russians are somehow super-men capable of fighting the entire world at once. Americans are like inspector clouseau the country; Constantly bumbling around the world failing to do anything right. While the British/Scottish run behind the scenes, fixing the US's constant parade of mistakes and failures.

again, im not just talking about COD, but yeah you did get me good there

It occurs to me that the most popular game series of all time is about an Italian. I didn't think the nationality of the main character had anything to do with whether or not someone would play a game unless they were a massive racist.

Im not American but if I played a game and the voice of the main character was'nt American I would notice. I am just used to voice actors usually being American. Not that I would'nt play the game because of it, certainly not but I would notice the change. But if I get characters with really stupid over the top stereotypical English or Irish accents that would piss me off immensly (e.g Fable 2).

Non-American here, and I play games with American protagonists all the time. Doesn't bother me at all.

Well I am tired of the story every game has

"Oh nu! de evul ruzzians aree attackung and den deh guud guy americansnnzn save de dey"

And I got off track but yes I would play a game where I am a non-american.

Erm... whaddaya mean, "Would I"? Between the Italian plumber, the mute Hylian swordsman, the pseudo-transvestite Japanese children that may as well be a walking advert for Brylcreem, the French-built and German-designed Bugatti (yes, I consider the Veyron a protagonist in ANY racing game it features in), the Serbian car-jacker who must spend every waking moment tending to his portly cousin, a certain regal character from a country now know as Iran (where they make some rather nice rugs), the Chozo-adopted bounty hunter, or Jason Statham's blatant rip-off for inclusion in Crysis: Warhead...

When HAVE I played as an American? ;-)

The Last Melon:
Well, I feel like a complete idiot now. I was largely referring to military shooters here; I was thinking of the Modern Warfare and Black Ops games which could be a little bit nauseatingly patriotic at times. Time to edit in a disclaimer...

pure.Wasted:
P.S. a certain mutual acquaintance wanted me to refer you to a website that would get my account banned faster than you could say Heil Hitler. Let's say I did that.

What in the...since when did you post here?

Ah yes Call of Duty the games where you play as Russians and British more often then Americans. Aside from Black Ops of course.

Fist of all, "America" is a lot bigger than the U.S., and secondly, if we keep talking about it, the U.S. won't be able to fit its head through any doors soon.

Also: way too assume white guy/girl = American.

Stuntcrab:
Well I am tired of the story every game has

"Oh nu! de evul ruzzians aree attackung and den deh guud guy americansnnzn save de dey"

And I got off track but yes I would play a game where I am a non-american.

Russian spy! Get 'em!

Mycroft Holmes:

Ix Rebound:

Because the U.S. likes to think they are the good guy underdogs, fighting for freedom around the world, and not, say, invading countries and murdering masses of people to rape their natural resources at a later date. Yeah, makes me sick, too.

What about the Assassin's Creed series? All the protagonists, except Desmond, are non-Americans....

Orange12345:
The reason most game protagonists are 24-35 yr old male white "american" (in the sense that they are english speaking) is that the majority demographic of video game players is thought to be composed of 24-35 yr old male white americans

as for op I would buy any game that featured Canadians. As I have yet to find one if anyone knows of one please let me know.

The average gamer is Asian and close to or over 40, statistically.

MelasZepheos:
Well I'm British, so I'd prefer a game with non-Americans, especially if the Americans were the bad guys.

My ideal game would feature a British protagonist with an American bad guy, especially if at first he looked like he was a good guy.

That's exactly what Modern Warfare 2 had.

The Last Melon:
lol WAT

You do of course realize that in most games you play as non-Americans... in fact before this monotone generation, most game protagonists weren't even human!

Yes, I would. In fact, I even have! Several times!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked