Would you play a game with foreign protagonists?
Yes
97.4% (755)
97.4% (755)
No
1.9% (15)
1.9% (15)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Would you play a game about non-Americans?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Daystar Clarion:
How is this even a thing?

What this guy said.

Since when would playing a military shooter where you're a South African Vigilante not be awesome?

(Disclaimer: I really liked Far Cry 2, so HA.)

Considering that almost all of my games are fantasy RPG's, I'd say YES.

The only one I have that has Americans in it is . . . Fallout 3.

I don't see why it would be a problem . . . I can't believe this is a question.

I don't think I ever cared what country the protagonists were born in, but then again most of the time it doesn't really come up. Least not in the games I play anyway.

yes I'd play a game like that. american protagonists are as common as fucking rats.

I don't see why not. I am also sure I've run across quite a few games where the main characters weren't from the States.

I'd love to play a game featuring the Canadian military. Taking down enemies with a potato gun, hockey stick and puck. That would be so fun.

And let's not forget Canada's secret weapon. The cannon.

What do you mean would I? I've already played games starring a British archaeologist, an Italian assasin, a Prince of Persia, a Canadian space marine, an Eastern European mercenary, several members of the British SAS, and lest-we-forget an ITALIAN PLUMBER! Not to mention all manner of aliens, elves, dwarves and other fictional races.

So yeah, there are plenty of great non-American characters kicking around. Still looking for a decent Australian playable character though.

Since nationality only seems to be a gameplay factor in modern first person shooters, I'm going to base my answer on games such as those and reply with an affirmative. Regarding nationalities in other types of games, I'd also respond with an affirmative.

I'd love to play as someone from a different nationality with a different perspective and everything. I think it would be an excellent way to communicate and understand another culture, one of the best mediums to do so. Much more effective than movies especially because it requires direct interaction. Of course the material would need to be written or directly sourced from a person of said nationality in order for it to be legitimate, credible and useful in that way, but I think the benefits would be enormous.

Not interested in playing some Baguette-eating Frenchies (just kidding), but other than that, hell yeah I'm willing and wanting to play foreign characters.

Though, space and medieval are my usual choices, both of which VERY rarely have Americans as characters, so yeah. This is really only a problem for your Call of Duty-type games.

Yep, and I do.

If you're wondering why modern military shooters, or most shooters in general, are primarily 'merica-centric; it is probably due to the fact that that's the target audience. That, and as far as military-centric counties go... 'merica's the biggest example.

Like, why is Japan the go-to setting for Samurai stories? Why are Africa and South America the go-to settings for jungle adventures?

I'm not saying that the U.S. has the best or biggest military, I'm just saying it makes the best modern military example.

Though, it probably has more to do with target demographics than anything else.

fireaura08:
Already have, since I've played Metro 2033. Generally, where the protagonist comes from doesn't really matter to me.

You know, I never actually thought of Metro 2033 and STALKER until you pointed out out.

I played a Russian/Ukrainian the whole game, and I never really minded. It was immersive and well-crafted and never did the foreign nationality bother me aside from having a slight difficulty remembering names.

krazykidd:
I think the OP means military shooters . Either that or he has to broaden his gaming repetoir . That being said , i'm Canadian . And i wouldn't mind . A game about Mountees going to war on horses wOuld be awsome .

It needs to be done. In Mount & Blade style.

I don't care about nationality when playing games. It's not centric to the story and should never truly be.

Yeah... if your only background are modern shooters, then you've missed on a lot of multicultural gaming awesomeness.

There are so many american remakes of television series and films that there must be a fairly sizeable audience there that simply won't engage anything that doesn't contain familiar cultural references for them to cling to. I somehow doubt that the Escapist would be very representative of that group. I mean you have to be mostly talking about people who struggle to read and write, let alone work out how to use a keyboard or the internet.

Games are strange because 'Western' games are mostly north american. Especially when you're looking at the most mainstream end of things. I wonder whether part of the reason american games are so dominant in other cultures but not vice versa is due to people being very used to a presentation/story telling/ design ethic etc influenced by american culture - most countries are familiar with american films and television - whereas other countries don't have the same advantage going the other way, into one of the biggest markets in the world.

sure why not? it would be nice to see things from another perspective.

I'm an American and I voted "yes."

In fact I tend to PREFER non-American protags. My favorite literary genre is fantasy, in which most characters are not culturally American. I liked COD4, and for me the parts were you control the British SAS were VASTLY superior to the U.S. Marine missions.

All games are about realizing a fantasy, and why would I want to fantasize about being something that I already am when I have the opportunity to experience something different?

This is also why I tend to prefer playing a non-human in role-playing games where that is an option.

Assassin's Creed. Commander Shepard. Captain Soap/Price. The Dohvakiin. End thread.

If i didn't it wouldn't leave many games to play.

Solvemedia: mister wilson

"Yes?"

To answer the OP's question. I wouldn't mind AT ALL play foreign characters.

Also, I must say this (picture worth a thousand words)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

What on Earth are you talking about? Americans don't get nearly enough exposure in any of the significant mediums these days. I'm fed up of watching foreign films and playing as a Japanese person saving the world from yet another apocalypse, I just want some good old-fashioned Americans fighting for what's right.

Er, in cod you play as the British, Russian and Canadian (I think) and GTA you had Niko and Claude (Possibly). Come to think of it allot of games have protagonists that aren't from America.

But yeah, allot of modern shooters use Americans, ignoring other country's. I'd like to see a game where you play as the Canadian mountain police or GIGN.

Evilpigeon:

Games are strange because 'Western' games are mostly north american. Especially when you're looking at the most mainstream end of things. I wonder whether part of the reason american games are so dominant in other cultures but not vice versa is due to people being very used to a presentation/story telling/ design ethic etc influenced by american culture - most countries are familiar with american films and television - whereas other countries don't have the same advantage going the other way, into one of the biggest markets in the world.

I think you are right. As a European it seems to me that American culture is the closest thing we have to an international culture. It gets a little annoying sometimes with references to things that don't exist outside the US as something universal. What is Halloween and why do the denizens of Azeroth care about it? How come The Systems Alliance in Mass Effect is made up entirely of Americans?

But there is a significant influence coming from Asia, Eastern and Western Europe as well, so I think in the end pop-culture will become a mix of everything.

Total non-issue.

Yeah. I play skyrim, Oblivion, World of warcraft, cod 4 had British guys, lord of the rings games, starwars games, fable games. You Brits act like every game only has Americans, oh and Assassins creed, there are plenty of games that don't focus on Americans. You just like to focus on the games with Americans.

Antonio Fuentes:

Yeah but the U.S. is the only important country there.

I would certainly play games where the protagonists werent Americans, and I already do. For example everytime I play Killing floor Im playing a Britan. When I played Saboteur I was an Irishman. When I play multiplayer Battlefield 3 half the time Im Russian

That all said, if were talking strictly modern military shooters (MMS) I think it would be nice to change it up a bit. A MMS revolving around Israel, Canada, or Spetsnaz (Essentially russian special forces) would be one I might actually buy (assuming it wasnt just a map pack)

I'd love to see more protagonists who aren't American. Admittedly I'm British though so I don't really care if my player character is American. While you're at it why don't we get rid of every game having a love interest for the main character. Also get rid of quick time events.

Well I would be fine with non-American characters but really I would rather they were in a different game than just Call of(not american) Duty. There are lots of options with making the game based on something other than soldiers.

Antonio Fuentes:

Well... it's more typical to call the combination of North and South America "The Americas" or "The Western Hemisphere".

Meanwhile "America" by itself is accepted as a shortened form of "The United States of America".

What? Call of Duty 2, one of my favorite war shooters involves you playing as a non-american 2/3rds of the game. Of course I would and do as well, who cares? I think the industry sees american protagonists as selling better, but I certainly dont care. actually it may make it more interesting if anything.

I dislike your choice of wording for your poll. I constantly play games with foreign characters. (hint: I'm Australian.)
But yes, a non-American game would be nice.

Antonio Fuentes:

I know it might be confusing, but there is this thing called Abbreviation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbreviation

It is very useful, after all I am sure you dont go around calling the "peoples republic of china" as such, or the "Federal Republic of Germany" as such. These are some pretty big concepts, but I am sure with some practice you will figure it out just fine! I am glad I could be of assistance.

Edit: I also find it really funny that your picture cant differentiate between North America or South America, or label it properly as the AmericaS

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked