Which will you purchase/which do you prefer?
Diablo 3
46.7% (396)
46.7% (396)
Torchlight 2
52.9% (449)
52.9% (449)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: So... Diablo 3 or Torchlight 2?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

VladG:
Considering TL1 was a cheap Diablo clone to begin with, I don't see why I should play a cut-down version instead of the great original.

Since I've also played the D3 beta and I know for a fact that I will greatly enjoy the game, there is NO reason whatsoever to even consider TL2 over D3 at this point.

My thoughts exactly. TL1 had some nice gameplay, but talents and items were boring as hell.
Still, i'll give TL2 a try when i get bored of Diablo, which isn't anytime soon.

I'll probably try both, but I found the first Torchlight quite boring, so I don't have high hopes for 2.

I'm not a superfan of Diablo either, but I usually like playing it for a while.

GoaThief:

Nerexor:

but those are not core game issues and reflect little on the actual quality of the experience of PLAYING THE GAME!

They certainly are core issues when enemies are teleporting everywhere and ghosting due to lag. This wouldn't be a problem if the game was local.

The RMAH may also be a very big deal when PvP is introduced, players will feel pressured into buying top items just to compete.

As far as I know the game content itself isn't online, only your character is. So enemies and the like shouldn't ghost around due to lag at all. Though I must admit I'm not 100% sure on that, I'll look into it.

As for the RMAH and PvP... The wealthier players have always found a way to pay their way to victory. In diablo 2 and in WoW there was (and possibly still is in WoW) an underground trade in gear and characters for cash. The RMAH is just admitting that it's going to happen anyways, and this way Blizz gets a cut. Secondly, the auction house isn't just for real money. Players can still get gear with game currency. As to how that plays out with super rare and top tier items... well we have to wait and see.

Here's a crazy idea, if you're really so poor that you have to choose between games then get Diablo 3, level up and get some epic loot, SELL THAT LOOT FOR 20$ AND USE THAT TO BUY TORCHLIGHT 2.

Diablo 3 - if blizzard does one thing well, it's telling a tight, well paced story. Plus, the nostalgia I have for the franchise far out weighs any loyalty I have for torchlight.

Sure, I can get up on my soapbox and berate Blizzard for DRM, blah, blah, blah, but at the end of the day it's not going to change the inevitable fact that most AAA-titles from now on are going to be released with DRM regardless of how many wines /violins there are on any forum.

Torchlight 2 please! It's got a better price point, doesn't require me to be logged into some weird service, nor does it have the dreaded RMT auction house.

Draech:
Both.

because I am rich and white enough to do so.

Bawahahahahahahahaha

*pounces steals you moneys so i can get Darksiders 2*

OT:
i am getting Diablo 3.

though i'm sure the other 3 pages i'm not going to bother reading will devolve in to a 'Diablo is ruined forever, get Torchlight 2 instead' whine-a-thon it usually dose every time Diablo 3 is brought up, and if you hadn't guessed I'm kinda tired of

I don't know anything about TL2, but even so I'd recommend it over Diablo 3. Why? Because motherFUCK Blizzard. :P

Though looking at the poll after my natural reflex response, it should be noted that I don't intend to buy either of them. :3

Marowit:
Diablo 3 - if blizzard does one thing well, it's telling a tight, well paced story. Plus, the nostalgia I have for the franchise far out weighs any loyalty I have for torchlight.

Sure, I can get up on my soapbox and berate Blizzard for DRM, blah, blah, blah, but at the end of the day it's not going to change the inevitable fact that most AAA-titles from now on are going to be released with DRM regardless of how many wines /violins there are on any forum.

I would personally say this is the only Blizzard really doesn't do that well.

What they do well is polish and gameplay. There is a reason the Blizzard cinematics are short. Every single thing in there has been polished over and over to the point where it is a close to perfect as it can.

Torchlight was a terrible hack n' slash. Diablo II, and it's spiritual successor Titan Quest, were awesome.

There's not a single thing done better in Torchlight, than in Diablo. And playing through the beta with all the classes, Diablo III will deliver just, if not even more of the expectations that the 12-year-wait and all the hype and marketing have built.

Real-money auction house: Will not be using it, so doesn't matter at all.

Constantly online: Who the hell isn't online all the time anyways. If my connection for the strangest reason went down: not being able to play a certain video game wouldn't be my biggest concern.

Lunar Templar:

Draech:
Both.

Bawahahahahahahahaha

OT:
i am getting Diablo 3.

though i'm sure the other 3 pages i'm not going to bother reading will devolve in to a 'Diablo is ruined forever, get Torchlight 2 instead' whine-a-thon it usually dose every time Diablo 3 is brought up, and if you hadn't guessed I'm kinda tired of

OY! I worked overtime for those!

But looking at the poll I am kinda surprised. I was expecting the same thing as you.

I plan on getting both. I guess from what I've seen Diablo 3, but I only say that because I've seen more from D3 than T2. If T2 had some skill trees and whatnot I may change my mind, but as far as being excited for I'd say D3.

Draech:

Lunar Templar:

Draech:
Both.

Bawahahahahahahahaha

OT:
i am getting Diablo 3.

OY! I worked overtime for those!

But looking at the poll I am kinda surprised. I was expecting the same thing as you.

haha! *flees with the moneys, oddly in a sack with a $$ on it,carrying above they're head SMB2 style*

i saw that to, interesting to say the least. i've give it a closer look when i get back from not getting a job, again :/

88chaz88:
I'm feeling sad about the lack of love Path of Exile is getting in this thread.

:(

I'm feeling sad about the lack of Grim Dawn in your post.

kingthrall:
d3, torchlight way too childish looking even though diablo 3 is sadly on the same wrong path.

You, my friend, may want to look into Grim Dawn.

here's a pre-alpha gameplay video,

Flack:

ravenshrike:

Scow2:
D3's graphical style doesn't deviate from the "series norm" either.

Um, yeah it does. It's not really bad and still fits the universe... but it does deviate from the norm.

There is nothing wrong with deviating from the norm. I would much rather be able to see some of the awesome enviroments the team spent years crafting, than to be restricted to only seeing what the circle of light around my character shows.

I never said there was, in fact several posts down I point out how I like the new style better. It is different however.

Eric the Orange:

kingthrall:
d3, torchlight way too childish looking even though diablo 3 is sadly on the same wrong path.

You, my friend, may want to look into Grim Dawn.

here's a pre-alpha gameplay video,

If the spell effects were better that'd be awesome.

I know I'm not the first, and likely won't be the last, but still:

Purchase: Yes
Prefer: I'm not psychic, neither final version has been released yet, nor have I committed unreasonable amounts of time to either such that the novelty has worn off and I start to genuinely enjoy this and that aspects of each.

ravenshrike:

Scow2:

ravenshrike:
Um, yeah it does. It's not really bad and still fits the universe... but it does deviate from the norm.

I've seen the complaints leveled against it.

People forget Diablo II had absurdly bright colors splashed all over the place.

The only bright things in DI/II were magic sources. And lava. Everything else was extremely grimdark.

It was also done back in the days of what? 356 colors? Try playing it now on a modern PC it looks like unicorns threw up pixelized rainbows on the screen.

Both. My husband and I have been looking forward to both releases. However, we'll probably indulge in Diablo 3 with a friend of ours until our brains explode and our fingers fall off,..then we'll duct tape ourselves back together for some Torchlight 2.

It was going to be Diablo III until I played the beta, not touching that again.

Diablo 3

Torchlight was a great game, but I lost interest in it entirely in under 40 hours. The game just doesn't have that lasting appeal that comes with the Diablo franchise.

That said, I expect to buy Torchlight 2 when it drops to $5.00 a year or so from now on Steam.

Gonna go with Torchlight 2. The first was a fantastic bowl of fun that would have only been improved with what they're adding in the sequel. It was on it's own more fun to me than Diablo 2 was, so I'm quite looking forward to the new iteration.

Though, really. Probably both. Just depends on the timeframe we're talking about.

snowplow:
Diablo 3 is pretty much crap. I only base my opinions (which are facts btw[/b]) on the open beta:
*snip*
Graphics - they're bad. By bad, I mean why is everything so blurry and unfocused? I tried a few other games to make sure I wasn't seeing things, and no, I wasn't. Diablo 3 is blurry. I have no idea why they did this or why nobody else notices. SC2 by comparison had awesome graphics.
*snip*

I mostly agree with you on the parts that I snipped out, but this is something I just recently found out the egregiousness of.

This game is - literally - on around the same level of graphical quality as a browser game[1]. I shit you not. If that's not a shameful display for a triple-A fucking company, I don't know what is.

Abandon4093:

Scow2:

ravenshrike:

What this guy said.

Everyone seems to forget the jungle levels in Diablo II when complaining about how colourful Diablo III is. I bet it's also the same people who complain that games aren't colourful enough these days. :/

The only way that it really deviates from the rest of Diablo is that it's models now instead of sprites. And if someone's going to complain about that, then maybe they should just shut up and reinstall Diablo II.

Having said all of this. If you're only going to choose 1 game, go for Torchlight II. Not only do you get a free copy of the first game if you pre order on Steam. It's also dirt cheap in comparison. And I think I may slightly prefer both the aesthetics and play style over Diablo.

What this guy said is bloody wrong, and you're wrong for agreeing with him. It's not about colors, at least not in the broader sense. The art styles are fundamentally different from the ground up. To put it simply, in D3, the textures don't have any pretense of realism, and neither do the models. The textures are all washed out and have a painting-like quality to them, and the models are way too blocky for anyone to use the word "gothic" in any serious sense.

Said this a million times. You might be fine with the change, you might even enjoy it (maybe that's why you don't notice it), I have no problems with that. But the moment you start going off about the differences not being there is the moment you become objectively, and completely, wrong.

[1] Drakensang. Register (it's free), log in and see for yourself.

I'd say Torchlight given that Diablo 3 has retarded DRM in it, I don't care that it's in Starcraft or whatever. It has no reason to be there (Oh but Snot they have to protect their games!) sure they do, this despite having super awesome always online DRM will be on every torrent site in a week and every player elsewhere will be stuck with shit forever.

So yes, I'd say Torchlight,however my friend is buying me Diablo 3 because he wants to play with me, and I don't want to buy it. So that apparently invalidates my vote. Go fuck yourself Snot.

...:C

Hammeroj:

Abandon4093:

Scow2:

What this guy said.

Everyone seems to forget the jungle levels in Diablo II when complaining about how colourful Diablo III is. I bet it's also the same people who complain that games aren't colourful enough these days. :/

The only way that it really deviates from the rest of Diablo is that it's models now instead of sprites. And if someone's going to complain about that, then maybe they should just shut up and reinstall Diablo II.

Having said all of this. If you're only going to choose 1 game, go for Torchlight II. Not only do you get a free copy of the first game if you pre order on Steam. It's also dirt cheap in comparison. And I think I may slightly prefer both the aesthetics and play style over Diablo.

What this guy said is bloody wrong, and you're wrong for agreeing with him. It's not about colors, at least not in the broader sense. The art styles are fundamentally different from the ground up. To put it simply, in D3, the textures don't have any pretense of realism, and neither do the models. The textures are all washed out and have a painting-like quality to them, and the models are way too blocky for anyone to use the word "gothic" in any serious sense.

Said this a million times. You might be fine with the change, you might even enjoy it (maybe that's why you don't notice it), I have no problems with that. But the moment you start going off about the differences not being there is the moment you become objectively, and completely, wrong.

Yea. no, yeaaaaa, nooo, yeeeeaaaaaaa, no.

The thing is I'm not wrong, the only difference is that it's not sprites anymore. All I've heard anyone ball about is it being 'too colourful' or 'too cartooney'. Which it simply isn't.

The style has evolved, as you would bloody hope it has after 12 years. But it hasn't been fundamentally changed like you're currently claiming.

Abandon4093:

The thing is I'm not wrong, the only difference is that it's not sprites anymore. All I've heard anyone ball about is it being 'too colourful' or 'too cartooney'. Which it simply isn't.

The style has evolved, as you would bloody hope it has after 12 years. But it hasn't been fundamentally changed like you're currently claiming.

The simple fact of sprites being 2D does not forbid them from pertaining to a particular art style. Nor does it prevent the visuals from being possible to translate to 3D.

It has. Check out the textures. Check out the blockiness of the models and the lack of detail anywhere. Check out the surrealistic trees, rocks and other parts of the environment. You're wrong, and stubborn to boot.

Hammeroj:

Abandon4093:

The simple fact of sprites being 2D does not forbid them from pertaining to a particular art style.

It has. Check out the textures. Check out the blockiness of the models and the lack of detail anywhere. Check out the surrealistic trees, rocks and other parts of the environment.

If you don't see how a transition from sprites to models is going to have an impact on the aesthetic that transcends a style change.... then what are we even doing here?

And actually Diablo II's creature design was far, far more blocky than Diablo III's. There also isn't that much of a difference between the main characters designs beyond them being a little more updated. If you compare the two sorceress' the only major difference is that the new one has a few more trinkets and plates of armour here n there.

It's just evovled, as any series should 12 years on.

SOOOOO DIFFFFEREREREREENTNTNTNTNTN!!!!

You're wrong, and stubborn to boot.

Abandon4093:
If you don't see how a transition from sprites to models is going to have an impact on the aesthetic that transcends a style change.... then what are we even doing here?

No, in fact, I don't see how a transition from sprites to models is going to have an impact on the art style. Not to the extent you're talking about, anyway. You wanna know why? Because other games do a better job of nailing down Diablo's aesthetic in 3D than Diablo 3 does. Well, actually, that's not why, I'm just capable of telling art styles apart, but it helps illustrate just how bloody wrong you are.

Unless you're saying that a switch from 2d to 3d necessitates a change in the most core principles of the aesthetics, you don't have a leg to stand on. And if you are saying that, well, how come?

And actually Diablo II's creature design was far, far more blocky than Diablo III's. There also isn't that much of a difference between the main characters designs beyond them being a little more updated. If you compare the two sorceress' the only major difference is that the new one has a few more trinkets and plates of armour here n there.

It's just evovled, as any series should 12 years on.

I'll say this again, since this seemed to fly right over you. The entirety of the texturing in D3 doesn't resemble Diablo in any way, shape or form. The painting-like quality alone makes those textures the antithesis of realistic on its face. If you can't see a difference between the two, you can't see anything that doesn't support your case, and there is little left to talk about.

You're working off of a different definition of blocky than I am. Low resolution does not a blocky character design make. The Diablo 2 screen you used wasn't an actual gameplay screenshot, you know that? I would argue it, but at least provide an in-game screenshot if you want to compare the two. This is just wasting space. Why creature or character design even entered the conversation is beyond me, by the way. I didn't mention them. Are you saying all the things I did mention were true, then?

The comment about evolving is just sigh-worthy. What the bloody hell are you on about? Why should the art style change, and who cares how the fuck often? Shouldn't by your logic Warcraft have started turning more and more realistic since a couple of years ago? What about any Nintendo game ever? If you didn't like it that way, go ahead and say you didn't. But don't come here talking nonsense about how art styles must arbitrarily change every so often because you said so.

You obviously like it this way better. I've said this before, good for you.

D3, because Blizzard. (Blizzard has never released a bad or mediocre game, and I doubt they will now).

I open with my Path of Exile beta, branch off with Torchlight 2 upon release, as the former reaches the Open beta and Release Milestones I reconsider my main.

100% Honest? I find it unlikely I will pursue Path of Exile once it is released, maybe not even the Open Beta. Torchlight 2 I'll be tired of in a week, playing three hours a day; I only hope the mod tools and capacity have been expanded a bit.

Played Diablo 3 in open beta, playing Torchlight 2 beta right now. Diablo 3 is a superior game, by far. Sorry but Torchlight 2 just doesn't really compare. I made level 20 in something like three hours, the abilities are generally boring, waaaaaaay too much loot drops, and the art design doesn't contrast enemies with their environment very well. I'm enjoying TL2 to be sure, but to say that it's better is just a bit silly. 1/3 price point making it more desirable to some? Sure, I can understand that, I rarely want to pay $60 for a game. The biggest thing TL2 has going for it to me is the fact that one of the classes has abilities that make use of a shield.

I also would like a BOTH option...

I like both for what they are. Diablo 1/2 and Torchlight have both given me hours of enjoyment. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

But since the poll is holding me down to one. If I only got to play one, I'd say Diablo 3.

Eric the Orange:

88chaz88:
I'm feeling sad about the lack of love Path of Exile is getting in this thread.

:(

I'm feeling sad about the lack of Grim Dawn in your post.

The problem with Grim Dawn is that it is nowhere near release and whereas Path of Exile is in beta, will be open beta very soon, and will release soon, also Path of Exile has the biggest skill tree.

I don't think anyone is going to convince the population that Torchlight 2 is better than Diablo 3, its really just the fact that one is far cheaper while the other is far more in depth. I doubt I will get either, I love Blizzard but havent played a Diablo game yet and really need to stop getting sucked in to good IP's only to get crapped on at the end. (Mass Effect, Saint's Row, Team Fortress 2, and probably Half-Life)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked