Simple question about WoW from a WoW newbie

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I recently started playing the starter (lol free) edition of WoW, and I would like one (or more) of you WoW players to clarify:

When exactly does the main plot/storyline actually reveal itself? I'm currently level 13, doing a bunch of variations of "kill X monsters, gather X monster parts, talk to this guy, kill this thing" quests. There are some quests that aren't terrible, but so far the majority has been pretty crappy like this. It doesn't help that there is no voice work.

I'm asking because the end bosses of some of the expansions are storyline related, such as Arthas, Illidan, Kel'thuzad, etc. but so far there is absolutely no overarching plot or anything. I would kind of like to go through the storyline since I played Warcraft 1, 2, and 3, but if I'm going to pay $15 per month I absolutely need to know if the quests get better in the future. Also aside from the promise of a plot, I don't have any other reasons to keep playing, since I'm not a fan of the gameplay.

TL;DR - Is there a plot? when/where is it?

Also as an aside, are all MMO's like this? I won't lie; I can't really justify paying money for this unless it gets better. I started with WoW because its the highest rated and most popular, but IMO its several levels below most singleplayer RPG's.

I will let you in on the big secret. There is a very interesting plot that is going to show up to you as you go on. Here it is.

I love WoW, but I won't lie to you, the story-telling is a god damn mess. The 'plots' can basically be summed up in the beginning quests and final dungeons of each expansion. everything else is just filler if you're looking for story.

If you honestly want the WoW story then the best resource is wiki, because in the game they won't tell you everything and you will most likely skip over the walls of text while playing anyway.
And no this never turns into anything like Warcraft 3 storytelling.

Apart from SW:TOR pretty much all MMORPGs just run story text past you while you grind, your imagination does the rest.

each area has its own plotline. There are a lot of boring quests, but each area has its own major questline which is quite interesting if you let it be.

World of Warcraft is a shadow of its former self, in the storytelling department. WoW pretty much killed any resemblance of a story in the warcraft series.

It also doesn't really stand on its own as a game, relying on community interaction and endgame content to keep its subscribers.

So I would recommend getting the books or something. Meaningful plot development doesn't really happen unless it is at endgame content.

Vanilla WoW doesn't have one main storyline, but there are a few major ones that start appearing around level 50-60, that link into the raids and dungeons.

I actually liked what they did with Wrath of the Lich King. They introduced "phasing", which made certain areas update after you fulfilled certain story-quests to reflect the progress you made there, and some of it was really well-made.

My beef with WoW has always been the overall sillyness; rather than the pretty coherent fantasy setting the original WoW games had it's become more of a pop-culture-reference-laden fantasy parody. Which can be quite entertaining if you're into that.

Early examples for nice storytelling are, by the way, the Goblin, Worgen and Death Knight starting quest lines. Try these, that's about as good as it gets.

If you want a more "serious" approach to storytelling, try TOR. I can get why people quit for lack of endgame content, but the planet- and especially class questlines are pretty great. And it's fully voiced, which makes a huge difference.

Alhazred:
Vanilla WoW doesn't have one main storyline, but there are a few major ones that start appearing around level 50-60, that link into the raids and dungeons.

Welcome to the Escapist!

OT: I don't think WoW is a very story-oriented game.

Yeah, it doesn't really have much of a story, well at least it didn't when I played it (Back when Burning Crusade was the only expansion), then again I only played it for 4 months so I probably didn't see much, but in those 4 months I saw no plot, but anyway most MMOs are like that, I hear that SW: TOR does actually have a plot, other than that well there is this game I sometimes play called Mabinogi, that has a story mode, it's not voice acted and it needs to do a ton of busywork before letting you advance, not to mention that unless you grind the difficulty is insane, not really much of a story but it's the one I could think of that I actually played.
The music is pretty good though, seriously.

There is no one grand overarching "story".

Each zone has it's own questlines. There's plenty of very interesting story, lore and plot there, but it's multiple self-contained stories rather then one big giant "Main Quest".

snowplow:
Also aside from the promise of a plot, I don't have any other reasons to keep playing, since I'm not a fan of the gameplay.

I wouldn't recommend it then. What makes WoW great is having fun with a bunch of online friends. If the gameplay comes off as boring then plot alone won't make it interesting to you.

skywolfblue:
There is no one grand overarching "story".

Each zone has it's own questlines. There's plenty of very interesting story, lore and plot there, but it's multiple self-contained stories rather then one big giant "Main Quest".

snowplow:
Also aside from the promise of a plot, I don't have any other reasons to keep playing, since I'm not a fan of the gameplay.

I wouldn't recommend it then. What makes WoW great is having fun with a bunch of online friends. If the gameplay comes off as boring then plot alone won't make it interesting to you.

Altorin:
each area has its own plotline. There are a lot of boring quests, but each area has its own major questline which is quite interesting if you let it be.

By zones do you mean the subdivisions of the continents that show the suggested level you should be at?
so does that mean each of these basically has its own quest chain?
I'm in the draenei starting area and the overarching plot seems to be the spaceship crystals screwing up the local wildlife, with many scattered sidequests in between. Would I be correct in understanding that other areas have a similar approach, in that there is one overarching plot per area with many scattered/irrelevant sidequests in between?

Also would you care to explain more about the lore that shows up in the individual areas? There hasn't been much in the way of lore so far, and starter accounts max out at level 20. Do other areas go in depth into the warcraft universe or is it more "kill 8 murlocs and bring back their grain; reason: they stole it."

Alhazred:

So would you say the most interesting quests only start to appear in the endgame?

Sorry if these questions seem annoying to you guys, Warcraft 1 and 2 were my very first games so I'm rather fond of the warcraft lore (though I think WoW turned it into a generic fantasy setting). I would like some closure on the plot threads begun in Warcraft 3 though.

Clive Howlitzer:
I will let you in on the big secret. There is a very interesting plot that is going to show up to you as you go on. Here it is.

The Old Republic is nothing but plot.

snowplow:

Also as an aside, are all MMO's like this? I won't lie; I can't really justify paying money for this unless it gets better. I started with WoW because its the highest rated and most popular, but IMO its several levels below most singleplayer RPG's.

Pretty much. These games are for people who liked repetitive things. I played the free version as well and got bored really quickly. Maybe I would have thought it was cool in 2004, but not now.

Clive Howlitzer:

I think Old Republic did it right. Even though the stories don't intertwine with the world as a whole.

I honestly can't wait for the WoW servers to shut down and have millions of people all over the world have the last 8 years of their lives gone in a blink of an eye.

I foresee mass suicides.

Its the only reason why I see WoW still being popular. Its so out of date and honestly the questing is just plain painful. Yes the raids are cool, but so are most other MMOs. Its just been up so long and people have worked on it for so long perhaps they just don't want to leave all that hard work.

It will stay the same. Don't expect there to be a plot. It is weak at best and non-existent at worst. don't expect it do get better: That's what I did when I played it. have two 85s now. wasn't worth the money at all.

The only reason to play MMOs is the social experience.

If you want plot or good gameplay you're not going to enjoy them very much

snowplow:
So would you say the most interesting quests only start to appear in the endgame?

Some would argue there aren't any interesting quests at all, and those people would have a pretty compelling argument that would be difficult to refute. There's no question that story telling is not WoW's forte. As a game it has many merits, but a rigorously presented narrative is not one of them. TOR is about one million times more interesting as a story based experience, and even TOR is pretty flat and silly compared to a more structured single player experience like Mass Effect or The Witcher 2.

My suggestion would be this...if you've not seen anything you like in WoW so far, this is a good time to cut your losses and move on to other things. If dissecting the game mechanics, working together with groups tactically to beat challenges, and exploring the huge world don't appeal to you, then the game is never going to suck you in. And it's never, EVER going to tell you a story worth listening to. If you want a great story, go to GOG and get Planescape Torment. Go to Freebird Games and get To the Moon. Or pop on Steam and grab Bastion next time it goes on sale. Wait for WoW's story to get good and you'll be waiting forever.

Zack Alklazaris:
I honestly can't wait for the WoW servers to shut down and have millions of people all over the world have the last 8 years of their lives gone in a blink of an eye.

This is probably a depressing thought, but the last 8 years of everyone's lives are gone.

The over all plot of the expac doesn't kick off till you get into the "end level" zones which is when they'll start taking about the actual main villain.

1-60 being the exception. The zones have been completely re-done so most of the stuff is going to focus on the Horde an Alliance being at war with one another with a lot of random shit thrown in between.

Once you get into Outlands you'll start doing quests about pushing the Burning Legion off it's foot hold and, again, random side shit. Once you get into Shadowmoon Vally you'll do some quests having to do with Illidan though most of that story takes place in the Raid(s).

Same with Wrath and the Cataclysm zones. Each zone tends to have it's own little story going along. Starter zones especially as they're all about getting you into why your characters there and what they're doing.

If you're expecting some deep, over arching story that culminates in a huge battle well, you're fucked for the most part.

There is no single over arching story or plot for World of Warcraft, however there are several influencial story arcs which are usually contained in each area as well as larger influencial conflicts which loom in raids and dungeons.

Each zone usually has a rather self contained story arc which only pertains to that zone, however some stories plug heavily into the lore and the larger over all development of the WoW universe.

However, the WoW universe is some what degrading itself as time goes on because with Wrath of the Lich King and Cataclysm many story arcs are brought to an abrupt end while others are simply forgotten altogether.

The Emerald Dream, Vash'jr, The Titans, The old ones, the Dragon Aspects... all these really intresting story arcs which spanned the entire series more or less are being forgotten, ignored, or resolved in a stupid fasion.

snowplow:

I'm in the draenei starting area

That may be part of the problem. They massively improved their storytelling (and quests in general) after Wrath (to the point they went from standard MMO to being able to stand up to proper RPGs), then updated the old zones to reflect this in Cataclysm, but the Draenei starting area (And the Outland) are still like they were in the old days - boring and uninteresting as all fucking hell. BC was pretty damn terrible for quests.

Anyway, my advice would be get out. Get out while you still can. And don't play a bloody space goat.

snowplow:

Certain MMOs push diffrent aspects or have a diffrent focus.

Guild Wars and Warhammer Online are heavily focused on competative PvP while the Final Fantasy MMOs and the like are focused primarly on cooperative team fights against NPCs and Mobs of ever increasing difficulty.

World of Warcraft is/was simply the best because it is the most direct, straight forward Classic RPG, that is easy to pick up, simple to get lost in, and has a wide enough community to have fun with.

One thing you have to realize though.
As an MMO, the main reason you're playing is to play with other people.
If you don't like playing with other people, or have more fun going it alone... Don't subscribe to WoW.

AngryMongoose:

snowplow:

That may be part of the problem. They massively improved their storytelling (and quests in general) after Wrath (to the point then went from standard MMO to being able to stand up to proper RPGs), then updated the old zones to reflect this in Cataclysm, but the Draenei starting area (And the Outland) are still like they were in the old days - boring and uninteresting as all fucking hell. BC was pretty damn terrible for quests.

Anyway, my advice would be get out. Get out while you still can. And don't play a bloody space goat.

The only reason Classic and BC are 'boring' are because their zones are largely empty as the majority of the community is sitting in the capital city on their super epic raid dropped flying mounts. Classic and BC quests where amazing and fun... but only if you had people to do them with. Wrath and Cata started the 'Quest Alone' mentality as many of your quests since Wrath on you didn't need help or some scripted event would happen to aid you.

Clive Howlitzer:

Wrong on both accounts, plenty of MMOs have a plot, including WoW.

As far as WoW goes, there are several plots, you'll experience all of them going through different expansion content. As for when exactly the plot points will start to open up, I can't give you any exact details really, you usually find out piece by piece all the time, the big moments are near the end of expansions and in raids obviously, being the end game content that they are.

Pyro Paul:
The only reason Classic and BC are 'boring' are because their zones are largely empty as the majority of the community is sitting in the capital city on their super epic raid dropped flying mounts. Classic and BC quests where amazing and fun... but only if you had people to do them with. Wrath and Cata started the 'Quest Alone' mentality as many of your quests since Wrath on you didn't need help or some scripted event would happen to aid you.

Classic quests were good. Every zone and nearly every questline felt unique and interesting. Largely because Blizzard weren't entirely sure what they were doing, but it at least worked. In BC they lost this naivety and experimental approach to design quests. Every quest was either confined to it's zone, or was the breadcrumb quest to the nest zone. Oftentimes it really did just feel like "Kill 10 demon bores". Even with friends (and I leveled BC with the guild I was closest to), it was hard to hide that that was dull. Cataclysm did rather suffer from the quest alone thing. The only group quest I can remember was the ring-of-blood equivalent, and I solo'd that on one character simply because of how fucking annoying those quests are to group for. More than anything group quests stood as a reason to quest generally with friends. But Wrath and Cata quests were more interesting because they were, well, more interesting. They were more diverse, more happened, they actually had affects on the area; they always felt slightly more controlled and design focused than Vanilla, but they were actually able to benefit from this.

There is a...plot, if you can call it that. In vanilla and TBC the "plot" was scattered all over the place, and well, most of it was "something has made nature here bad, go kill thing after doing a million sidequests". In Wrath and Cata they actually tried to give it a story, but looking at it, that was a bad idea since Blizzard, well, to call their stories a bland disjointed mess is only flattering. Seriously, the story in Cata was about as stupid and ridiculous you can get without it openly becoming a farce.

Here's the thing, you do not play WoW for the story, you do not play it for the gameplay, you play it because you can hang around with friends.

Fishyash:
World of Warcraft is a shadow of its former self, in the storytelling department. WoW pretty much killed any resemblance of a story in the warcraft series.

It also doesn't really stand on its own as a game, relying on community interaction and endgame content to keep its subscribers.

So I would recommend getting the books or something. Meaningful plot development doesn't really happen unless it is at endgame content.

NOT TRUE. (And have people NOT played the 1-60 content since Cataclysm came out?)

Every area has its own plot. However, there are a LOT of quests within them that all deal with the main plot, and several are re-worked to address what's been going on.

What race and class are you playing? Unfortunately, the "Free" version of WoW doesn't let you play as Worgen or Goblins. Then again... those are a Fun 12-14 levels, then you're dumped with nothing (I was PISSED that the Worgen start was dumped and never revisited).

However... it's a WORLD of Warcraft. There is a LOT going on, and while there have been some cataclysmic events and stuff going on, everywhere also has its own problems.

snowplow:

I wouldn't say that. They're spread out throughout the game, but the quests overall tend to be hit-or-miss. Some quests are better than others, and some are fun for one group of players, others are fun for another.

SecretNegative:
There is a...plot, if you can call it that. In vanilla and TBC the "plot" was scattered all over the place, and well, most of it was "something has made nature here bad, go kill thing after doing a million sidequests". In Wrath and Cata they actually tried to give it a story, but looking at it, that was a bad idea since Blizzard, well, to call their stories a bland disjointed mess is only flattering. Seriously, the story in Cata was about as stupid and ridiculous you can get without it openly becoming a farce.

Here's the thing, you do not play WoW for the story, you do not play it for the gameplay, you play it because you can hang around with friends.

As a fan of the Warcraft series from the start, I have to disagree here. The best part about World of Warcraft for me was being able to see and explore all the places from in-game. Playing as an Alliance character from the Eastern Kingdoms was EXTREMELY satisfying, because of how you get to see so many of the places from Warcraft II (I never really got so far into Warcraft III).

However, if you have no friends or interest in the world, it's not the game for you.

snowplow:
I recently started playing the starter (lol free) edition of WoW, and I would like one (or more) of you WoW players to clarify:

When exactly does the main plot/storyline actually reveal itself? I'm currently level 13, doing a bunch of variations of "kill X monsters, gather X monster parts, talk to this guy, kill this thing" quests. There are some quests that aren't terrible, but so far the majority has been pretty crappy like this. It doesn't help that there is no voice work.

I'm asking because the end bosses of some of the expansions are storyline related, such as Arthas, Illidan, Kel'thuzad, etc. but so far there is absolutely no overarching plot or anything. I would kind of like to go through the storyline since I played Warcraft 1, 2, and 3, but if I'm going to pay $15 per month I absolutely need to know if the quests get better in the future. Also aside from the promise of a plot, I don't have any other reasons to keep playing, since I'm not a fan of the gameplay.

Very little of the game (practically nothing, a few random tidbits here and there) is plot related from levels 1-60. You get a bit into Illidan's story along with Kael, Vashj, The Warden (forget her name), Thrall and such all begin to take a more active role. This increases in Wrath and and Catacylsm were big bads (Arthus/Deathwing respectively) and key players (Malfurion, Thrall, etc) make several cameos to advance the story.

However if you want to actually see conclusions and the most important elements of the plot you will need to do high level raiding (well high level when it is introduced) which is a clusterfuck without a well organized guild.

As people have mentioned there is no one overaching plot that interconnects everything, but each expansion general has an overarching plot. If you are not looking its hard to miss the plot

I was addicted to WoW because that gameplay style tickled my addiction centers in the way nothing else could.

It is primarily social, and about relationships and friendship FUCK THAT the only thing that matters is being in an end-game guild and getting all the phattest loot to the detriment of EVERYONE ELSE. HAHAHAHAHAHA

Then, stand in the middle of towns with n00bs running around going "omg u look so cool, can i have some g?"

and then you open trade and put 5000 g in it and go to bed, without accepting trade.

there is never a main plot. there are many sub plots. some are just in one zone and some extent over multiple areas. you are just part of major lore event's but you are never ever the center of it.

i understand why are you don't like the "kill X boars" quests. but if you want to know what the subplot of this quest is, then you have to read the text and understand it. sometimes there are really enjoyable quest-lines which will make you feel that you are a epic adventurer.

Pyro Paul:

AngryMongoose:

snowplow:

That may be part of the problem. They massively improved their storytelling (and quests in general) after Wrath (to the point then went from standard MMO to being able to stand up to proper RPGs), then updated the old zones to reflect this in Cataclysm, but the Draenei starting area (And the Outland) are still like they were in the old days - boring and uninteresting as all fucking hell. BC was pretty damn terrible for quests.

I found Outland to be fun once I actually got there (Though I found the "primitive" quests to be a bit annoying). At least the gear looks good, in the silliest ways imaginable (TBC was the birth of "Rainbow Pimp Gear") Of course, me missing out entirely on Cataclysm, and only seeing TBC from behind my brother's shoulder probably makes me idealize the expansion more than it's worth.

The Draenai and Blood Elf starting areas were better than the original starting areas... but they've not been updated with the latest plot. If you're in the Draenai area, once you get out, the "main quest" should start - The Draenai Plot is relevant to the now-obsolete Burning Crusade plot. Other starting areas are MUCH more relevant to the current state of events. My suggestion: Play a Gnome (the Ironforge area has several fun quests, and Gnomergan is particularly exotic), with an awesome "Climax", which leads into interest in one of the main Villain Factions, while putting to rest an old one.

Humans have a lame start in Elwynn, but Westfall and Redridge are well worth the wait IMO. The former's an update on an old villain faction and one of the series' iconic dungeons. The other... Let's just say you get to team up with Rambo and kick some ass. Unfortunately, that questline is best done solo :(

There are a few other good starting areas as well: If you roll Horde, play something like an Orc, Troll, or Tauren, and check out the place north of Orgrimmar. It's REALLY fun.

snowplow:

No such thing as a plot in WoW. There are some quest lines that have some continuation of a story, and some of the end-game areas and raids and shit have "some" plot. Honestly, nobody evens knows or cares, it's pretty poor so people don't bother.

If you want more story in your game, try SWTOR and the upcoming GW2. GW1 also has a strong story. Other than those...can't really think of any other mmo. And SWTOR...well, you get your class-story, of which pretty much only the Imperial Agent and Smuggler are really good, some of the others are decent, a few are pretty bad. And once you're done with your class story, there's not that much to do that WoW doesn't do 20 times better.

snowplow:

The plot is non-existant. You do get some chain-quests later on though (from 70 onwards I guess), but they're not really a plot/part of the story, and those extremely few who are, are in raid-instances... There was a few plot quests back in Outland, for when you and your guild were going to be allowed to enter The Black Temple (where Illidan was), but they ended up removing said quest-line as a requirement in a patch shortly after (so that more people would have the opportunity to enter the raid-instance and see it). The Cataclysm-expansion tried to give a plot with cutscenes and whatnot, but it was really watered out.

Well, Aion (which went Free to play in February or so) does have a plot/storyline/campaign I've heard, but Aion is supposedly a bit of a grind...

Your best bet for finding out the story is probably by playing Warcraft 3 and reading the books...

There used to be a story/several storylines, but since the introduction of several expansions it's sort of taken a back seat.

snowplow:

1st things first: If you skip the quest text and just accept quests without reading them, you will miss 99.99999% of the plot.

In WoW the plot sorta changes up quite a bit as you develop your character.

Early on, when you are about your level, it's very much a "I'm an adventurer making my way in a big, scary world." What you will notice around that level is that the various zones each have a few quest chains that sort of encapsulate the plot of that zone, but it's very much sorta a zone-by-zone experience.

Since Vanilla WoW ended at 60, you will find quest chains around level 50 that culminate in endgame raids.

After Vanilla, they got a lot better at giving each expansion a tighter theme to it. In Burning Crusade, you are trying to stop Illidan and the Burning Legion. Wrath is about stopping Arthas. Cataclysm is Deathwing.

Each one gets a bit better at telling the story, and it really improved in Wrath.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked