PC games that would be good on consoles.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Since S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 has been canceled so they can make a free2play mmo. It got me thinking if there are any other PC games that would okay/that you'd like to see ported to consoles.

I wouldn't mind Mount & Blade: Warband on Xbox.

Any thoughts?

((Also sorry if there's something like this already))

Tribes: Ascend. It strikes me as a shooter that would play well on a console with minimal or no auto-aim.

Any platform game on PC would do well on consoles.

But who develops platform games for PC in the first place (yes I know there are exceptions)?

Aircross:

But who develops platform games for PC in the first place (yes I know there are exceptions)?

i completely agree with that. somethings consoles just do better fighting games, platformers

Any game that doesn't require a ridiculous number of button presses at once from an unwieldy control scheme that doesn't require pin-point shooting accuracy at all times.

.....Huh, that's any half-decent game. (Except for RTS's, obviously)

nikki191:

Aircross:

i completely agree with that. somethings consoles just do better fighting games, platformers

thats why we have these:

maybe starlancer or any other space combat game that doesnt have a complex trading system.

Amnesia would be fantastic on consoles.

rhizhim:
snipped because the images were messing up when quoted

Starlancer has complex controls, though. I've got a copy, and I've never played past the first mission because there's no learning curve, you're just thrown off the cliff and expected to know what to do. It uses more buttons than the controllers have, even if you use some of them as shift keys.

OT: Terraria might do pretty well on consoles. I know Voxatron would, too, although that's still technically in an alpha state. I'm having a hard time thinking of modern non-indie PC games that don't already have a console port, or aren't ports from the consoles to the PC.

rhizhim:

maybe starlancer or any other space combat game that doesnt have a complex trading system.

What do you mean by this exactly? Is complex referring to the controls for a menu?

rhizhim:

nikki191:

Aircross:

Errr...hem...

What is this then I wonder?

Yes, It came out on the Dreamcast as a console exclusive.

Jazoni89:

rhizhim:

nikki191:

Errr...hem...

Now I'm curious; how in the heck did they translate the controls to the dreamcast controller? Or did it require the keyboard peripheral? Because that's the most complicated flight sim I've ever played, and I grew up on the X-Wing series.

Pretty much any game that isn't an RTS could work. And I'm sure somebody'll figure out a decent control scheme for consoles eventually.

Console controlers for PC's makes this thread almost redundant.

I guess the answer would be any game that would be enjoyable to play split screen on the couch, nice and relaxed with some friends.

Owyn_Merrilin:

Jazoni89:

rhizhim:

Errr...hem...

Now I'm curious; how in the heck did they translate the controls to the dreamcast controller? Or did it require the keyboard peripheral? Because that's the most complicated flight sim I've ever played, and I grew up on the X-Wing series.

you should go out and play the independence war series or the freespace series.

starlancer might had been complex but the most of it can be reduced to shoot, shoot missiles, lock on target, boost and dock.

Ninjamedic:

rhizhim:

What do you mean by this exactly? Is complex referring to the controls for a menu?

you would go mad if you have to scroll down a fucking huge list just to sell or buy a specific item. trust me. you dont want to do that on a console.

rhizhim:

you would go mad if you have to scroll down a fucking huge list just to sell or buy a specific item.

I wouldn't and haven't. Although that could have something to do with the fact that I don't have the attention span of a magpie.

trust me. you dont want to do that on a console.

Yes, you could just make a menu design for the controller in about, say, 2 hours work.

Owyn_Merrilin:

Jazoni89:

rhizhim:

Errr...hem...

There's a IGN review on the Dreamcast version, detailing about the exact same thing.

Apparently it did use the controller, and apparently the control scheme is suppose to be rather good.

http://uk.dreamcast.ign.com/articles/164/164604p1.html

Platformers better on consoles? Not with that controller delay on those wireless controllers and the shitty 360 dpad.

Older consoles sure, but then again you can plug those controllers easily into your PC. Infact just about EVERY controller plugs into PC, including Genesis, Atari, vectrex, SNES, NES, etc etc

Jazoni89:

rhizhim:

nikki191:

Errr...hem...

thats why i said it could be translated to consoles.
maybe they could get another mech- fighting game

or a bullet storm game (like Touhou Project)

other than that, its hard.

point and click adventures (like the recent walking dead episodes)
or shooters like Eve: Divine Cybermancy.
would not make a profit.

I'm still kind of surprised that Hard Reset didn't make it onto consoles. I really wanted to try that one too. Oh well. That's all I've got honestly...it would be nice if Team Fortress 2 on consoles was updated like its PC counterpart. Hell, I'd settle for bot matches so I can actually play the thing again.

Ninjamedic:

rhizhim:

you would go mad if you have to scroll down a fucking huge list just to sell or buy a specific item.

I wouldn't and haven't. Although that could have something to do with the fact that I don't have the attention span of a magpie.

Yes, you could just make a menu design for the controller in about, say, 2 hours work.

i am sorry but make one first in only 2 hours and i will crown you as a development god.
people had 'problems' using skyrims User Interface.

and, a bit excessive but how would you translate this?

or this?

If you mean what would work best on a controller rather than a keyboard, then almost any genre of game that isnt an (MMO)RPG, Shooter, or RTS, really. Platformers, action games, adventure games, racing games, fighting games; for all the fanboism i see about a keyboard and mouse and its superior aiming for shooters is, nobody seems to mention that for movement, its rubbish.

However on the flipside, if you mean solely what works better on the console system, and not the PC, then i'd be hard pressed to find a reason as to how a game would be better on a console than a PC. Games on PC just look better, plain and simple. Though i do suppose it depends on what you're looking for. I'd say a co-op game on a PC would be the one game, that i could think of, that would be better on a console than a PC, all forms on control aside.

Captcha: hobby-horse
Oh Captcha, you're like a little piece of humor i look forward to every time i post.

Wait wait wait wait... STALKER 2 is getting canceled again?!

Damn it. There goes one of my favorite franchise.

OT: Maybe some of the more casual games for the PC would do well. I din't think games like STALKER would go well with console gamers.

Kahunaburger:
Tribes: Ascend. It strikes me as a shooter that would play well on a console with minimal or no auto-aim.

Ive heard people claim the game is too fast for consoles, it might be true I dont know, but from what ive seen the game does not play in such a way to make a mouse the only option. If your outdoors then the area is so massive that you dont need to turn very quickly, at least not so fast a controller would be unthinkable, and if your indoors then the game isnt that fast anyway as normal movement is normal speed. ONly reason I can see is that the game is free to play, something impossible on the xbox for sure and probably the same for ps3.

Andy Shandy:
Pretty much any game that isn't an RTS could work. And I'm sure somebody'll figure out a decent control scheme for consoles eventually.

I dunno, Command and Conquer 3 Kane's Wrath on the 360 proved that RTS's can sometimes work on a console if it has the right style of control scheme. It uses a wheel system that makes picking out and managing the units and buildings much better than dragging the thumbstick to click on the units, or structures individually. Almost like the multi-management style you get on the PC with the various hotkeys. Consoles can never replicate the complex and fluid controls of the RTS games on PC, but they sure as hell did a fantastic job with what they had as far as that game is concerned.

However then again, Kane's Wrath is the only one of a very few RTS games that do work on consoles, and sometimes you can get some incredibly godawful ports, as you are likely well aware.

Case in point

Yes, Starcraft on the N64 no less.

It's so bad...and playing with that dodgy N64 controller with a RTS must be the equivalent of absolute gaming hell.

ablac:

Kahunaburger:

Ive heard people claim the game is too fast for consoles, it might be true I dont know, but from what ive seen the game does not play in such a way to make a mouse the only option. If your outdoors then the area is so massive that you dont need to turn very quickly, at least not so fast a controller would be unthinkable, and if your indoors then the game isnt that fast anyway as normal movement is normal speed. ONly reason I can see is that the game is free to play, something impossible on the xbox for sure and probably the same for ps3.

Yeah, if anything it's a better shooter for consoles than, say, Battlefield 3. Hitting people with a spinfusor has more to do with timing and prediction than it does with precise twitch aiming, IMO.

I could see problems with the chaingun-type weapons (travel time means auto-aim wouldn't be very effective, and precision is really important on those things) but they could either A. bring (shudder) hitscan back for the console version, or B. leave them as-is, because it's not like it's that easy to hit a moving target with those things on the PC, either.

rhizhim:

i am sorry but make one first in only 2 hours and i will crown you as a development god.

Assuming we're using a menu manager class, have a subMenu manager class, then have sub menus for the different items.

For example, the Skyrim UI, when you select 'Weapons', have the a sub menu for different weapon types i.e. 'Daggers', 'Swords' etc.

It's not that difficult, once you have the source code set up of course.

or this?

Kahunaburger:

ablac:

Kahunaburger:

Yeah, if anything it's a better shooter for consoles than, say, Battlefield 3. Hitting people with a spinfusor has more to do with timing and prediction than it does with precise twitch aiming, IMO.

I could see problems with the chaingun-type weapons (travel time means auto-aim wouldn't be very effective, and precision is really important on those things) but they could either A. bring (shudder) hitscan back for the console version, or B. leave them as-is, because it's not like it's that easy to hit a moving target with those things on the PC, either.

Agreed. People seem to automatically assume a console game must be easy to play in concept, meaning hitscan for most weapons and auto aim when it shouldnt be there. auto aim shouldnt be automatic unless the game is truly fast. if it isnt then it shouldnt be allowed in multiplayer as it takes some of the skill away. Besides console gamers can get pretty damn good at using the controller, when its the only thing available you become surprisingly proficient. On halo ive seen early teens, when i was that age myself, be able to snipe someone instantly after turning a corner. they would outplay most pc gamers the same way, though a mouse and keyboard is still the best it isnt as superior as its made out to be.

Kahunaburger:

ablac:

Kahunaburger:

I still think it would be a tad slower on consoles with use of a controller. Imagine going at high speeds, someone passes you and you turn to shoot them. They're already at the other side of the map by the time you get turned around.

All that aside, I believe Tribes for consoles was canned because of their Free to play model. Companies like Microsoft wont allow their model without wanting a cut.

Kahunaburger:

I'd agree with you, doesn't have fairly complex controls and would fit well with the consoles. As for the person who suggested football manager 2012, I'd have to disagree with you there, there are too many buttons and selections that would be a pain in the ass to use a controller with, and I'd rather have FM on my comp while watching the tele in the background while my game advances.

Waaghpowa:

I still think it would be a tad slower on consoles with use of a controller. Imagine going at high speeds, someone passes you and you turn to shoot them. They're already at the other side of the map by the time you get turned around.

All that aside, I believe Tribes for consoles was canned because of their Free to play model. Companies like Microsoft wont allow their model without wanting a cut.

Both very good points - it could very easily get to a point where players have to choose between the turns they need to pull off for fast midfield combat and the ability to land a chaingun shot anywhere in the same area code as the thing they're aiming at. I could maybe see some workarounds like a pseudo iron sight mechanic.

Kahunaburger:

Waaghpowa:

Both very good points - it could very easily get to a point where players have to choose between the turns they need to pull off for fast midfield combat and the ability to land a chaingun shot anywhere in the same area code as the thing they're aiming at. I could maybe see some workarounds like a pseudo iron sight mechanic.

That could be a problem for the developers though. They're already managing two free to play games on the PC, with a third on the way. Last I checked, they weren't that big a developer[1], meaning they lack human resources. Having to rework their already established and flourishing game to accommodate a platform that it may not even be successful while working on two other games might be a bit taxing. It could end up boiling down to a lack of time and resources to support all their games.

[1] According to Wikipedia, they have 45+ employees...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hi-Rez_Studios

Aye, I agree with all the people saying platformers. Those just do not work on PC unless you plug in a controller.

Captcha: get out. No u.

rhizhim:

Look at something like the wow AH. A system like that would translate to a console perfectly. The problem with stuff like eve is that they make the interface unnecessarily complicated to appease elitest pricks who think if you can figure out how to play the game within the first four hours its for mentally retarded children and below them.

Latenz1134:

Kahunaburger:

I'd agree with you, doesn't have fairly complex controls and would fit well with the consoles. As for the person who suggested football manager 2012, I'd have to disagree with you there, there are too many buttons and selections that would be a pain in the ass to use a controller with, and I'd rather have FM on my comp while watching the tele in the background while my game advances.

it served merely as an example to Ninjamedic why complex trading mechanics, like you find on space 4x games would be the horror on consoles.

but he says it can be done and easily implemented in only 2 hours.

here is the conversation so far

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked