15.5% (93)
15.5% (93)
I have absolutely no interrest in Mass Effect
17.9% (107)
17.9% (107)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: The Effectiveness of Boycotting: EA/ME3 Edition

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

A few months have passed now, and its safe to say that the results should be in. A lot of threats were made in regards to EA's business practices, and I am very curious to see how effectively people actually followed through on those threats. This isn't really a thread to discuss the nuances of Mass Effect, just to determine how often people actually follow through and vote with their wallets.

Corporations are motivated by one thing, profit. Which makes the only way to disapprove of a product, by refusing to buy their products. I personally have no problem with day 1 DLC. I understand that games are very costly and that adding content on top of the game costs money. I also find the games ending to be something of a misstep, though the rest of the game from what I've seen is good. I personally have not purchased it, and have no plans to do so in the near future, because I do not trust EA nor Origin. If it were available without Origin, I would likely purchase it and the DLC.

Edit: Issue with the poll, if a moderator would fix it I would appreciate that. Editing the poll seems to have no effect on my end. option "I did not buy ME3 because of EA" is supposed to read "I did not buy ME3 because of EA's business practices(IE: DLC)"

I was excited for the game, and I bought it. I played it and I loved every second of it. Nothing more to say about it. I love the series and I loved the final installment.

ME3 was going to be a preorder, then the first Origin debacle happened (the datamining your hard drive one). Then EA decided it would be a good idea to have a motherfucking honest-to-Jesus-Christ PROTHEAN as a $20 day-one DLC.

I acquired the game through other means simply to be completely vindictive. Unfortunately, the game is, for the most part, outstanding, but I will stick to my guns until either ME3 comes off of Origin, or ME3 + From Ashes drops to ~$25, at which point I'll still run it without Origin because I refuse to have Origin on my computer.

Now, if the day-one DLC had been cosmetic content or maybe just a weapon pack (or even something along the lines of Kasumi/Zaeed), I might have relented and bought the game after a couple playthroughs; it's what I did with ME1&2, after all, so I have no qualms about doing that. The fact remains, though, that they held an extraordinarily important story element hostage as day-one DLC, which should be punishable by law.

God, I hate them so much for doing that.

I bought the game and the DLC.

I have no problem with day-one or on-disc DLC.

I already had Origin installed from buying BF3.

All in all, no regrets.

the unfortunate thing is people would rather play their favorate game than make some kind of half asses political statment that they figure probably wont even work

hence why I think Diablo 3 is going to do very well

and in this case its Mass Effect *motherfucking* 3.....if satan himself was selling.....well

Bought the game with day-one DLC. I have nothing against day-one DLC in general , but I sort of do in this case because it appears that the Prothean was absolutely meant to play a non-skippable part in the game's story. Unfortunately, the truth is we simply don't know whether BW decided to make him DLC and wrote him out of the plot, or wrote him out of the plot because they thought that would make for a better story, and then realized he could still work as a stand-alone companion. I'd rather not jump to any conclusions, so I'll say they did right by me in terms of day-one DLC.

PS3 = origin isn't a concern.
Ending isn't a concern, I'd have purchased the game even if I knew precisely how bad it is (and it's quite bad). The rest of the game was that good.

All in all, I have no regrets.

I bought it with DLC. And then afterwards I went and bought some other useless crap for my enjoyment. And then some more.

As a matter a fact aside from the part of my income that goes to Food/shelter/warmth/clothing, the rest of it just goes to random crap that makes my existence slightly less miserable. ME3 was in that category.

I did not buy ME3 and the reason is not listed in the poll.

i got the preorder collectors edition (PC).

im still scratching my head and trying to work it out but the ending retroactively killed my interest in the entire franchise. i own all the previous dlc for ME 1 & 2 but i wont be purchasing any for mass effect 3

Vuliev:
ME3 was going to be a preorder, then the first Origin debacle happened (the datamining your hard drive one). Then EA decided it would be a good idea to have a motherfucking honest-to-Jesus-Christ PROTHEAN as a $20 day-one DLC.

I acquired the game through other means simply to be completely vindictive. Unfortunately, the game is, for the most part, outstanding, but I will stick to my guns until either ME3 comes off of Origin, or ME3 + From Ashes drops to ~$25, at which point I'll still run it without Origin because I refuse to have Origin on my computer.

Now, if the day-one DLC had been cosmetic content or maybe just a weapon pack (or even something along the lines of Kasumi/Zaeed), I might have relented and bought the game after a couple playthroughs; it's what I did with ME1&2, after all, so I have no qualms about doing that. The fact remains, though, that they held an extraordinarily important story element hostage as day-one DLC, which should be punishable by law.

God, I hate them so much for doing that.

I absolutely disagree here, Javik was a prothean yes, but he is not important to the overall plot at all. He gives you a few tidbits about the protheans yes, but its all information that isnt really necessary. If you ask me, as far as day one DLC goes, From Ashes was a pretty good way to do it.

I did not purchase ME3 because I refuse to support EA and their methods of ruining developers.

All you have to do is look at the change in quality between Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age 2 to see how much damage executive meddling can do.

GoaThief:
I did not buy ME3 and the reason is not listed in the poll.

So explain why?

I bought the Collectors edition with DLC included.

Then it, and my Xbox was stolen.

So I bought the Collectors edition again and am now waiting for my new Xbox.

For what it's worth from what I've seen Mass Effect 3 is by no means perfect but it does ultimatley give me what I want (mostly). A romance with Ashley, hanging out with old friends and kicking ass and hey since it's been confirmed that:

who knows? Maybe the ending might end up going better.

And if not, I'll always have the upcoming play arts kai figures.

I don't care to boycott anything. One sale won't change anything, and without some kind of way to band together it really is immaterial whether I do anything or not. Besides, I didn't find anything so horrible I'd deprive myself of the enjoyment of the game.

I got the game, but no DLC. I just kind of dislike having to spend more money for that stuff. It's not that I want to make a statement, but I'm reluctant. I'll probably get it anyway once summer comes around and I'm free from school.

Vault101:
the unfortunate thing is people would rather play their favorate game than make some kind of half asses political statment that they figure probably wont even work

hence why I think Diablo 3 is going to do very well

Unfortunate? It's only reasonable when you can't be assured that everyone else will do something too. I mean I guess that attitude is unfortunate, but we don't have anything to change it on a large scale.

and in this case its Mass Effect *motherfucking* 3.....if satan himself was selling.....well

Well then there probably would have been something in the EULA that signs away your soul. And I bet you didn't read the full EULA, did you? >__>

I don't like EA, and the issues OP mentioned, plus issues I've had with previous Mass Effect games kind of killed my interest. Did not buy it, probably won't ever buy it.

Vrex360:

And if not, I'll always have the upcoming play arts kai figures.

ohh fuck yes....except I don't know if I could get the maleshep one...my shepard female

but Garrus? I already have a garrus one...but you can't have too much Garrus now can you?

(I remember a while ago the VA for femsehp said she hadnt been aproached...but that was ahwile ago *sigh* would it be hilarious if the extended cut fixed everything but was only for maleshep players?)

Aircross:
I did not purchase ME3 because I refuse to support EA and their methods of ruining developers.

All you have to do is look at the change in quality between Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age 2 to see how much damage executive meddling can do.

So when Bioware goes out of business and we have one less studio out there making big budget non-generic FPS titles, you're going to say, take that EA? That's going to be a victory? I think EA will move on, the talented folks at Bioware will get screwed, and us consumers who want something other than generic FPS titles will also get screwed. I don't see how this is a good thing at all.

Mortai Gravesend:
snip

I don't belive people have souls...so HA! jokes on them

except my dog has been acting really strange around me...I have this strange urge to go out at night and drink peoples blood

pure.Wasted:

Aircross:

So when Bioware goes out of business and we have one less studio out there making big budget non-generic FPS titles, you're going to say, take that EA? That's going to be a victory? I think EA will move on, the talented folks at Bioware will get screwed, and us consumers who want something other than generic FPS titles will also get screwed. I don't see how this is a good thing at all.

My dear, any developer that is picked up by EA is pretty much guaranteed to be screwed in the long run. Just look at EA's track record of screwing talented developers. The instant a developer stops making record breaking profits they are dropped. Some of Bioware's veteran developers have left before and after the acquisition because they knew what would happen.

Anyway, the real victory would be for EA to leave Bioware to their own devices just like now ZeniMax leaves Bethesda to their own devices. That way Bioware will be able to give their games the right amount of polishing and love their games deserve.

I have not played Mass Effect 1 & 2, so I have no reason to buy Mass Effect 3. I kept hearing that it's a great game, so I was thinking about getting the first 2....then the shitstorm over 3 broke. That hasn't entirely killed my interest in the series, I may still get the first 2 at some point (I think the $20 budget boxes are still around), but I'm not considering 3 until all at least the DLC is out (in a GOTY edition or similar).

So in terms of the poll, the last option is mostly why I didn't. However, everything surrounding it is not helping.

Vault101:

Mortai Gravesend:
snip

except my dog has been acting really strange around me...I have this strange urge to go out at night and drink peoples blood

Don't worry, that's not the right symptoms. Now if you feel the need to sneak into people's houses at night and tell them about indoctrination theory...

Vault101:

Mortai Gravesend:
snip

What's strange about that? Blood is good.

I bought the collectors edition

Aircross:
My dear, any developer that is picked up by EA is pretty much guaranteed to be screwed in the long run. Just look at EA's track record of screwing talented developers. The instant a developer stops making record breaking profits they are dropped. Some of Bioware's veteran developers have left before and after the acquisition because they knew what would happen.

You make it sound like EA is a force of nature that cannot be stopped, bullied, or reasoned with. I can understand standing on principle when it has a chance of accomplishing something, not likely in this case, or standing on principle when the alternative goes against every single fiber of your being, but EA? They're only moderately worse than Activision and Bobby Kotick. Activision is only moderately worse than Capcom. And so on, turtles all the way down.

I'm not trying to tell you how to live your life or anything, it just seems like any line you draw is going to inevitably be arbitrary. Or you're left with indie games and Valve.

There are plenty of similar horror stories out of Hollywood, where talented writers' scripts are hacked up and turned into unrecognizable pseudo-blockbuster tripe that even Michael Bay would sneer at. But I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you don't boycott Warner Brothers...

I purchased ME3 with the DLC.

I feel my money was well spent. I have not, however, gotten to the ending that has people all bothered.

Aircross:

Or you know, the fact that Dragon Age 2 had less than half the development time that DA:O had. That's the only meddling EA did, they forced Bioware to push it out the door before it was really ready. Considering that, I still think Dragon Age 2 is a pretty good game. The combat alone is a GIGANTIC improvement over origins. The environments sucked, and the characters were hit and miss, but overall I enjoyed it quite a lot.

I pre-ordered ME3 without the DLC. I enjoyed myself greatly, and do not regret my purchase. I was also not boycotting the game either. I can't say I approve of EA's business practices all the time, but nothing they were doing with ME3 struck me as particularly offensive, so I got it.

I think that knowing the less than ideal ending and the fact I'd have to purchase DLC to get 'the complete' experience I'm waiting to buy it from the bargain bin. I wouldn't swear off a game I wanted completely, but I generally don't have a problem with just waiting to buy it. The company will still profit from me but much less than they could have. Still, my choice is more personal than it is about making a big statement.

Captcha: candy cane

I bought ME3, and eventually cracked and bought From Ashes. However, even though I paid for the DLC, my Origin crashed just as the payment was processing and EA got the money but never gave me the DLC. I contacted customer service and they basically just told me to get fucked and deal with it. Thankfully Paypal sorted it out.

Anyway that was the catalyst in my growing hatred for EA and I then vowed to never buy another of their products.

I honestly believe if Hitler, Joseph Kony, Osama Bin Laden, and George Bush got together, and made Mass Effect 4, people would play it, but it first day, and THEN bitch about it online. The gamer community has ZERO backbone. That's why EA, Activision, and Blizzard are all so popular, because they know we will buy whatever shit they put in front of us. We're like the beaten house wife who keeps coming back to the drug dealer boyfriend, for more meth.

I did not buy the game because I had little interest in the series. Sorry, but Bioware has made one game since 1996. They do it well, but making one game over and over again is not innovation. It's lazy.

I would have given the series a chance, but I discovered that you need to play all the missions in a preferred order if you want to see the Best ending possible for ME3. From what I remember from the strategy guide, you need to play your game in a certain set path, completing all side missions at their proper points and at the appropriate levels and not skip a one. This set path needs to be followed from the first game and it includes all DLC released.

If this desired path is not saved on your computer or your 360, you are going to get the default middle path. If you had to replace your hard drives, you will get the default ending. If you have a ps3, you are not seeing the best ending and you can't do the right path by the motion comic.

That irks me a lot. I do not mind strict linearity, but if your selling point is choose your own adventure, you should not do that.

how do i re-act to ME3's release?

with a resounding 'meh'

it didn't start pissing me off till people would shut up about the shit ending like it some how matter when weighed against the OTHER shit endings we've had to deal with for the last
three
fucking
decades, we've been gaming
-.-

plus it has origin glued to it, and I'd rather melt my PC into a puddle with a pocket lighter then willing let spyware like that on my hard drive

malestrithe:
I did not buy the game because I had little interest in the series. Sorry, but Bioware has made one game since 1996. They do it well, but making one game over and over again is not innovation. It's lazy.

I would have given the series a chance, but I discovered that you need to play all the missions in a preferred order if you want to see the Best ending possible for ME3. From what I remember from the strategy guide, you need to play your game in a certain set path, completing all side missions at their proper points and at the appropriate levels and not skip a one. This set path needs to be followed from the first game and it includes all DLC released.

If this desired path is not saved on your computer or your 360, you are going to get the default middle path. If you had to replace your hard drives, you will get the default ending. If you have a ps3, you are not seeing the best ending and you can't do the right path by the motion comic.

That irks me a lot. I do not mind strict linearity, but if your selling point is choose your own adventure, you should not do that.

The ending they're talking about is virtually identical to every other ending, with one EVER SO TINY difference. First of all, it's simply not a big deal. They're not screwing you out of anything by making this one tough to get. You can easily skip it and play the game however you wanted to without worrying.

Second, it's really not that different from any choice/consequence system. If you go in thinking "I want character X to survive no matter what" and approach it from that outcome, looking up every guide, then yeah it's going to feel like they're restricting your options. But what's also an option is simply playing the game, and if the characters dies, so be it. If you didn't get that particular ending with 1 second of extra content, so be it.

Mortai Gravesend:

Don't worry, that's not the right symptoms. Now if you feel the need to sneak into people's houses at night and tell them about indoctrination theory...

I don't do that....

I go out on weekends, dress up all formal like.... and go door knocking "hey there, have you heard the truth of Indoctrination theory?"

Eddie the head:

What's strange about that? Blood is good.

yes...fellow night seeker, we are the few who live in the shadows, who dare to seek out those who are unworthy of life..to have the power to take life-

whoa....I have no Idea where that came from..I really have to get this thing checked out

I had pre-ordered the Collector's Edition, but due to some glitch in Gamestop's system, my order showed up as the standard one instead. They apparently couldn't give out extra Collector's Editions so I sucked it up and stayed with the standard edition and bought the From Ashes DLC along with.

I ended up saving around $20, so I'm kind of glad I didn't get the CE anyway.

No regrets in buying the DLC or game. Javik was worth it.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked