Oh my god, it's...! (Voice Acting)

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

I've been playing Peace Walker HD version quite a lot recently, and there was one niggling thing I had up with the game, and that was that I recognised the voice of The Boss, but I had no idea from where.

Then I watched Family Guy and realised that the voice of The Boss (Lori Alan just in case you want to know/don't believe me and want to check) also voices...

(Diane Simmons just in case you were unaware)(She also voices Pearl from Spongebob Squarepants)

And I can't believe I didn't realise it before. So I ask, has this ever happened to anyone else?

I know the guy in MGS4 that plays Big Boss is the father of the guy that plays Solid Snake. So there is that. I don't know I thought that was cool. Oh the Japanese voice actors. sorry forgot about that.

Halo ODST was made entirely of cast members from Firefly and Battlestar Galactica.

The character Yosuke Hanamura in the game Persona 4(English version) is played by the same voice actor that plays Sasuke Uchiha in the Naruto dub. I found this pretty hilarious since both have some similarities (both use japanese throwing knives as weapons, both are ninja/have a ninja theme, and are/were the 'second' guy in a two guy one girl style team) but one I absolutely loathe as a character and the other I really like as a character.

Edit: And both their first and last names end the same... Well whatta ya know.

Modern Warfare 3 had a shitload of voices I recognised.

Kevin Mckid
Idris Elba
William Fitchner
Timothy Olymphant
Bruce Greenwood
Tony Curran
Craig Fairbass

All actors who I love dearly as well.

I had that a lot when I first started playing SWTOR. Lots of good VAs. The most surprising for me was actually before I played the game. I saw Nolan North was a voice and I thought "Oh, he'll be the smuggler, MAYBE the bounty hunter." Then I started a Jedi Consular and was pleasantly surprised.

I was playing fallout 3 and when I got to Mr. Burke. I heard his voice and was like OMG!!! IT'S LUCIEN LACHANCE!!!!!!!!

The_Lost_King:
I was playing fallout 3 and when I got to Mr. Burke. I heard his voice and was like OMG!!! IT'S LUCIEN LACHANCE!!!!!!!!

Play New Vegas, listen to Mr. House. Know who it is?

Soviet Heavy:

The_Lost_King:

Nope don't know who Mr. House is.

The one that comes to mind most of all is realizing that Carth Onasi had invaded the Mass Effect universe under the name Kaidan Alenko. I'm normally bad at recognizing voices, but that one really stood out to me.

When I found out Corporal Bowman in Black Ops was voiced by Ice Cube I thought that was awesome.

This'll probably annoy a lot of people, but look up some of the voice actors for MLP, then look at some of the things they've done. Probably a quarter of them have done VA for things like DBZ.

I still remember the first time this happened to me.

"Dr. Neo Cortex is Mr. Krabs!?"

Since then I've always tried to pick out voice actors.

I do have a lot of those moments, but usually it's with some of the more widely used voice actors like Steve Blum and Jennifer Hale

Eddie the head:
I know the guy in MGS4 that plays Big Boss is the father of the guy that plays Solid Snake. So there is that. I don't know I thought that was cool. Oh the Japanese voice actors. sorry forgot about that.

On that topic, the guy who voices Big Boss in the English MGS4 is the same voice actor as The Fury in MGS3 (Richard Doyle, I think is is name).

I was doing a second playthrough of ME3, one in which:

The Asari councilor sounded so damn familiar, I just couldn't place her voice. I had to go on IMDB to look her up but even then, they didn't have that specific character listed so I had to scroll through the list of VAs until I found a name that would jump out at me. Sure enough, it was Susan Eisenberg who provided the voice for Wonder Woman in the Justice League series from 6-7 years ago.

I was pleasantly surprised upon my dip back into Lost Odyssey to find Seth was voiced by Twilight Sparkle.

anything involving Jennifer Hale

fucking cinderella from the disney seaquels?....BASTILLA??

I also have a sneaking suspicion a few of the Assari from ME3 are "the boss" from saints row 3

Soviet Heavy:

The_Lost_King:

who is that?...and why is his face so strange?

I believe the female bounty hunter in TOR is voiced by the same woman who did Jeanette from VtM:B. Also the trooper is femshep, but that one is easy

Vault101:

Soviet Heavy:

The_Lost_King:

who is that?...and why is his face so strange?

Odo form Star Trek: Deep space 9. His face is like that because he is a shape shiftier.

The_Lost_King:
Snip

Nope don't know who Mr. House is.[/quote]

Vault101:
Snip

It's Odo from Deep Space Nine, played by Rene Auberjonois.

I remember playing Mass Effect and going "Is that me?"

When I played Risen. I was like "Holy fucking shit! That's John Rhys-Davies!!" when I first met the Don. A completely awesome moment, and it kind of made me love the character.

My dad had this moment when I was playing Fallout 3.

Him: That sounds like Liam Neeson

Me: That IS Liam Neeson

Him: Oh. Cool.

Andy Shandy:
I've been playing Peace Walker HD version quite a lot recently, and there was one niggling thing I had up with the game, and that was that I recognised the voice of The Boss, but I had no idea from where.

Then I watched Family Guy and realised that the voice of The Boss (Lori Alan just in case you want to know/don't believe me and want to check) also voices...

(Diane Simmons just in case you were unaware)(She also voices Pearl from Spongebob Squarepants)

And I can't believe I didn't realise it before. So I ask, has this ever happened to anyone else?

You've just toally ruined The Boss for me now.

I'm never going to be able to watch that scene where Snake kills her in Snake Eater without hearing Tom, "Now here's Ollie Williams with the weather."

Smeggs:

Andy Shandy:

You've just toally ruined The Boss for me now.

I'm never going to be able to watch that scene where Snake kills her in Snake Eater without hearing Tom, "Now here's Ollie Williams with the weather."

Let me ruin it for you even more :D The voice of Ollie Williams (Phil La Marr) also voices Vamp in MGS2 and MGS4 - although admittedly the voices are rather different. But it did lead somebody to make this video.

Terrence Stamp in Halo 3. Fucking epic as Truth.

Also, Steve Downes in Season 2 of Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Andy Shandy:

Let me ruin it for you even more :D The voice of Ollie Williams (Phil La Marr) also voices Vamp in MGS2 and MGS4 - although admittedly the voices are rather different. But it did lead somebody to make this video.

Oh yeah, he also dose Hermes Conrad from Futurama.

Things like that happen a lot to me, especially different games made by the same developer. You can hear the same person doing their voice a little different and such. It's interesting and I every time I get that feeling when a voice is familiar to go look into it, usually it's right.

I'm pretty sure (forgot to check the name of the show) that a nature show I saw on the Discovery Channel was voiced by one of the voice actors from Oblivion, the guy that did some of the Elf voices.

I also recognized Vette's voice from Star Wars the Old Republic from somewhere only to discover she did Mission Vao's voice in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and a bunch of other star wars stuff.

Also from SWTOR, I'm pretty sure the guy who does Andronikis' voice is the same guy who did Oghren from Dragon Age.

Just a few of the recent ones that I've noticed. It's always good to recognize voice actors that you like. I always notice Kevin Michael Richardson, my favorite voice actor. He was badass as Sarevok from Baldur's Gate.

BoogieManFL:
Also from SWTOR, I'm pretty sure the guy who does Andronikis' voice is the same guy who did Oghren from Dragon Age.

Steve Blum is in just about everything, and once you start noticing him you will never stop. Just off the top of my head from recent games I've played/seen Grunt and that traitor guy wilson in mass effect 2, one of the Haggars in rage, Sinamoi in Dead Isle amongst others. Considering the amount of anime voice acting he gets, I feel bad for aspiring voice actors knowing at some point you're probably going to lose a job to this guy lol.

I notice quite alot of voice actors these days between games, I blame bioware games because they love re-using voice actors. Just off the top of my head Simon Templeman plays Loghain, Han'gerrel and grand moth Kilran (seems he's got a thing for powermad leaders), Jennifer Hale is fem-shep and the female trooper, Claudia Black as Morrigan and Darro'Xen and many others I recognise but don't want to do them disservice by not remembering the VA full name.

The only instance I can think of right now when I was watching Avatar (Airbender, not Cameron) with the boyfriend, and as one of the characters is talking, I say to him "She sound really familiar." He doesn't recognize her and after hearing her say a few more lines, I say to him "I think it might be Jennifer Hale." After hearing another line from her, I yell "It is Hale!"
Boyfriend doesn't think it is, so I pull up the Avatar wiki and whadya know, it is her (I know she does a lot of voice work, but still).

Jill Valentine in Resident Evil 5 is voiced by that chick that was the pink ranger in "Power Ranger in Space". (That by checking wikipedia I discover her name to be Patricia Ja Lee)

That fucking thing blew my mind, now I can't see Jill without a ridicously pink rubber suit... Also Capcom didn't help my case by transforming her into a fucking Tekken character.

Eddie the head:

Andy Shandy:

Oh yeah, he also dose Hermes Conrad from Futurama.

And the eponymous character from 'Samurai Jack'. And Osmosis Jones in the spin-off TV series. And Jamie-O from Hey Arnold. And Jazz from Transformers Animated. And Bolbi Stragnofsky from The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron. And Hector Con Carne and Dracula in the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy.

... What? I like his voice acting.

There are two video game characters' voices in this video (both from the same game series), though you may only be able to tell one because the other is singing backup. Guess who?

And I totally stumbled on that video by accident. I still like Scooby Doo, but only the old stuff.

Fuhrlock:

BoogieManFL:

Steve Blum is in just about everything, and once you start noticing him you will never stop. Just off the top of my head from recent games I've played/seen Grunt and that traitor guy wilson in mass effect 2, one of the Haggars in rage, Sinamoi in Dead Isle amongst others. Considering the amount of anime voice acting he gets, I feel bad for aspiring voice actors knowing at some point you're probably going to lose a job to this guy lol.

I notice quite alot of voice actors these days between games, I blame bioware games because they love re-using voice actors. Just off the top of my head Simon Templeman plays Loghain, Han'gerrel and grand moth Kilran (seems he's got a thing for powermad leaders), Jennifer Hale is fem-shep and the female trooper, Claudia Black as Morrigan and Darro'Xen and many others I recognise but don't want to do them disservice by not remembering the VA full name.

Its not just Bioware. Voice Acting is a pretty small group of actors so they tend to get around. You get rare exception of famous live actors doing something but that is rare andd is usually there as a selling point. Some of them really get around. Steve Blum, Yuri Lowenthal and Jonny Young-Bash are three big names. It does really suck for people who try to get into this stuff and get beat out by people who have been there a really long time. Though it does make sense. Experience wins every time in these sort of situations and I don't know how well a lot of them get paid. I doubt its a extremely large sum. I'm sure its decent money though.

My favorite though has to be Anderson narrating a recent episode of Community. That was golden.

Yeah. He nailed it.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked