Dark Souls. Why should I keep playing?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Dude, you're stuck on the Taurus demon?

Yeah, I don't think you should keep playing. Just for different reasons. ;P

K1CKER:

Nile McMorrow:
snip

dunno why u`re butthurt nor do I care. feel free to ignore this thread.

I thought that was what was going on. You deliberately created a thread on a subject which you knew you could anger some people with when the wiki might have got you your answer quicker. OP is troll people, move along nothing to see here.

Fluoxetine:

Kahunaburger:

Saviordd1:

Meanwhile other games amuse me in 5 minutes from start to finish...
Guess which one I'm more likely to spend time in...

Personally, I'd rather have a game that is a pain for the first hour, then gets really good, than a game that starts out sort of entertaining and stays sort of entertaining. Maybe that's just me.

Its better than that. Unlike WoW and MW, Dark Souls is a game you can lose. These challenges and bosses aren't just some raid boss you can bash your head against until you get it right. There's a solid chance that some people who play the game will never beat it. That's what makes the sense of accomplishment so great.

But hey, let him wash out and go play games with auto regen and checkpoints all over the place. It only makes me feel that much more accomplished for having beaten the game.

I like seeing posts like this guy whenever I read threads like this. Its like whenever someone makes a Dark Souls thread there's always this one guy who feels like he's automatically better than others just because he finished a game and feels the need to treat all other games as easy with auto regen and lots of checkpoints just because people actually enjoys games from start to finish instead of having difficulty before enjoying it.

Hey, guess what, I finished IWBTG, it had a lot less checkpoints and a lot less health than Dark Souls. Some people never even beat it. But hey, I'll let you wash out and play your game with a lot more save points, actual health, and rolls with invincibility frames. It only makes me feel that much more accomplished for having beaten the game.

OT: If you're not enjoying the game. I'd suggest just taking a breath of fresh air and play it again if you're in the mood to be challenged/to grind. That's what I did in IWBTG, and it actually made me enjoy it and finish it when I was in the mood.

Fluoxetine:

Kahunaburger:

Saviordd1:

Meanwhile other games amuse me in 5 minutes from start to finish...
Guess which one I'm more likely to spend time in...

Personally, I'd rather have a game that is a pain for the first hour, then gets really good, than a game that starts out sort of entertaining and stays sort of entertaining. Maybe that's just me.

Its better than that. Unlike WoW and MW, Dark Souls is a game you can lose. These challenges and bosses aren't just some raid boss you can bash your head against until you get it right. There's a solid chance that some people who play the game will never beat it. That's what makes the sense of accomplishment so great.

But hey, let him wash out and go play games with auto regen and checkpoints all over the place. It only makes me feel that much more accomplished for having beaten the game.

I dunno, man, I only feel accomplished if I get lots of achievements and big +100 numbers popping up over my screen telling me how big my xbawks-peen is. What is this "sense of accomplishment brought on by overcoming a legitimate challenge" you speak of?

Thatrocketeer:

I like seeing posts like this guy whenever I read threads like this. Its like whenever someone makes a Dark Souls thread there's always this one guy who feels like he's automatically better than others just because he finished a game and feels the need to treat all other games as easy with auto regen and lots of checkpoints just because people actually enjoys games from start to finish instead of having difficulty before enjoying it.

You seem to think "fun" and "difficulty" are mutually exclusive. As someone who likes pac-man, roguelikes, and tetris (despite having never beaten pac-man, tetris, and the vast majority of roguelikes I've played) this confuses me.

SmarterThanYou:

dont mock dude, i got stuck on that guy for a while

Thatrocketeer:
Hey, guess what, I finished IWBTG, it had a lot less checkpoints and a lot less health than Dark Souls. Some people never even beat it. But hey, I'll let you wash out and play your game with a lot more save points, actual health, and rolls with invincibility frames. It only makes me feel that much more accomplished for having beaten the game.

OT: If you're not enjoying the game. I'd suggest just taking a breath of fresh air and play it again if you're in the mood to be challenged/to grind. That's what I did in IWBTG, and it actually made me enjoy it and finish it when I was in the mood.

You needed a breath of fresh air and you weren't even playing on impossible mode? ROFL NUB

Kahunaburger:
I dunno, man, I only feel accomplished if I get lots of achievements and big +100 numbers popping up over my screen telling me how big my xbawks-peen is. What is this "sense of accomplishment brought on by overcoming a legitimate challenge" you speak of?

Don't get me wrong, I get the point of these games. Comparing them to movies, MW3 is akin to your FAST 5. Nice, fast paced consumption that everyone can shut off their brains and enjoy for a couple afternoons. By contrast, Dark Souls is more like your Tree of Life. Atmospheric, full of subtle nuances, not everyone is going to get it, and you may have to run through it a few times to fully appreciate it.

But to strike the game down before you've even experienced the first true sense of accomplishment (and that IS the Taurus Demon, the stupid undead dungeon is a tutorial) is to blame the game for your own shortcomings. Its on the back of the box in big bold letters: PREPARE TO DIE. The game lives up to its promises, and does what its trying to do. But if you are going to jump online and declare it awful because you can't hack the experience, don't blame us when you get laughed at.

Aw man wait till you get to the Tomb of Giants.

....The horror....

I don't like Dark Souls either. I don't mind taking several attempts at an obstacle, but to make me go through a noticeable length of the level just for another try wastes my time. I'll only play a game with a checkpoint system like this if I'm allowed to make a lot of mistakes, or the levels are no more than a few minutes long.

You don't like the game? Don't play it.

These are facepalmingly dumb topics, really. "Why should I play/love/hate *?", like the opinions of a certain group are the definitive ones and there is something wrong somewhere because you don't feel the way you want to, and then you go on about how this opinion or mindset should be sold to you... I don't even.. ah, fuck it.

K1CKER:
So I`ve been playing Dark Souls lately, I really wanted to know what all the fuss was about, and I`ve gotta say it`s just stupid.

People keep praising it it`s good because it`s hard, but that`s not really difficulty, it`s just game design made to waste your time.

I want to make it clear, I`m not BAD at the game, I can do all the moves easy, all the counter kills, kicks and jump attacks, I don`t mind at all that I have no map, I can remember an area without difficulty.

I don`t mind that basically any enemy can kill me if I make mistakes, that`s fine.
I don`t mind that I lose all my souls if I die, you should lose a lot if you die.

What IS NOT fine is that I have to grind to the same area 100 times if a boss kills me.

I`m at the early Taurus Demon and I can get to him and clear all the 30 or so minions before him without even being touched if I`m careful, but WHY do I have to do it EVERY TIME HE KILLS ME?

It`s just boring and stupid and a waste of my time.

Even worse is the fact that if I were willing to be a mindless drone and just grind this area forever I can get to any level, just kill minions, go to fire, make them respawn, kill again, FOREVER, and get to any level I want.

So I wanted to ask all of you who like this game and got to really high levels in it, Is it worth it? Is the later game content good or just the same boring grind all the way through?

Well I would say you should because I thought it was great game... despite not finding it terribly difficult myself. But I also didn't find it a grind either, so my point is somewhat biased.

EDIT: Have you experienced any of the Multiplayer features? That's where the game really offers something unique.

I don't like it because it's difficult, I like it because it requires skill. If you start the game, miserably fumble learning the concepts, and start a new characters, you will breeze through the game.

People enjoy the game because it is unforgiving, requiring you to learn and adapt to situations in order to survive. Are you wrong for disliking it? No. Just realize that once you get the game's concepts and controls down you will enjoy the hell out of this game. Just don't expect to finish it quickly, because it took my first playthrough a few weeks because of both anger and continuously getting stuck at Sen's Fortress (fuck that place, man.).

It's a good game. Once you pass Blighttown, the second "area" of the game, you'll appreciate it more.

OP, the taurus demon is the worst, but for all the other bosses it becomes a lot easier (getting to them i mean).

Every boss afterwards comes with a shortcut or they have a bonfire within close range. After Taurus demon you can cut down heavily on the return time and get to the boss really quickly once you open the shortcuts or find the last bonfires on the maps. This is for every boss after Taurus. Sometimes the shortcuts and bonfires are hidden so you have to search around for it.

Of course you still have to be good at the game. If the enemies kill you before you open the shortcut you're going to repeat. This game rewards you for being careful and methodical and punishes you heavily for being reckless. That's what it is with this game. You need to be very careful. It's like one of those old S.W.A.T or rainbow 6 games except in third person with swords.

Also i never got stuck in sens fortress. It didn't take me long to figure out how to beat those snake men (lead them into the pendelum traps or push them off the ledges. If you have enough space backstab them a few times), and i managed to get to the second bonfire in about 2-3 tries. Blighttown though.. fuck that place.

OP. If you get pissed off at the capra demon, the depths, or blighttown there's a shortcut that lets you skip all of that and lands you right in front of the blighttown boss. You do miss a few things but nothing you can't come back for easily when you get stronger. Sewer levels can go die in a fire.

I just run past all the enemies after the second or third time. Never had much problem doing this.

gigastar:

I think i first passed the Taurus demon at level 16, though that was when the game first came to Europe so im not entirely sure anymore.

Well I was level 5-6 when I finally beat him so it might be why he was annoying.

spartandude:

SmarterThanYou:

dont mock dude, i got stuck on that guy for a while

Question: did you ever play Demons' Souls?

i'm waiting for dark souls pc before I play it (though i played it a bit on a borrowed copy, enough to see that I want to get it). I did play demons' souls.

Like the game. But I think the op has a point that death isn't as meaningful as it could be, you don't lose everything which allows you grow stronger despite dying. I'm used to roguelikes (1 life, 1 chance, 1 death = lose everything and start over from the beginning). Would love a true hardcore mode. This game seems in between (which is still better than 99% of such games do), in that it is hard and death is common, I just wish death meant more. But it is heartening that a game that doesn't just hand you easy combat wins on a platter has become so popular, and i'm definitely getting it when its out (on pc). Just because its not exactly as I would design it isn't enough to make me lose interest.

BENZOOKA:
You don't like the game? Don't play it.

These are facepalmingly dumb topics, really. "Why should I play/love/hate *?", like the opinions of a certain group are the definitive ones and there is something wrong somewhere because you don't feel the way you want to, and then you go on about how this opinion or mindset should be sold to you... I don't even.. ah, fuck it.

There's a nail with a head and you just hit the crap out of it. I like to pretend that these people aren't actually real and that the internet randomly generates these topics just to test our patience.

Ahh, I love Dark Souls topics. It's always funny to see just how many excuses and justifications the fans can make for the game...

Buretsu:
Ahh, I love Dark Souls topics. It's always funny to see just how many excuses and justifications the fans can make for the game...

As opposed to believing the word of someone still stuck in the first area, who seems to think himself fit to judge the other 90% of the game.

K1CKER:
Anyway I don`t need tips for that boss, I`m asking the guys who finished the game: How does the later content look and if it`s worth it playing it more than I have?

Dark souls became my favorite game, but it pretty much stays the same with death and backtracking which can suck. I love it for unexplainable reason, but my main issue is probably this, MOSTLY because I'd die to one accidental movement then I'd have to backtrack for another few minutes (See: Getting out/Into blight town.)

Aeonknight:

Buretsu:

As opposed to believing the word of someone still stuck in the first area, who seems to think himself fit to judge the other 90% of the game.

And all the people who've told him "yeah, it will only get worse from here"?

I love how you're not allowed to criticize Dark Souls.

If you do, it's just because you suck at the game.

Arontala:

haha so true, love how all he "pros" came to tell me I suck but none of them bothered to read the whole OP or answer the question at the end.

what`s wrong guys, too hard actually making a useful post? trolling easier?

K1CKER:

gigastar:

I think i first passed the Taurus demon at level 16, though that was when the game first came to Europe so im not entirely sure anymore.

Well I was level 5-6 when I finally beat him so it might be why he was annoying.

Wait, now you've confused me. First you claim to have fought through the area to the Taurus Demon loads of times, but you were still level 5? How does that work? Did you simply go through the fog after having used all your estus flasks, and not return to the bonfire to level up a single time? Because if so, it's pretty obvious that you are gonna get your ass whooped!

Honestly, I had a tough time with him when I first played the game (the game was even more brutal pre-patch) but I was more like level 20. Seriously, you were just absurdly underleveled.

no I was getting to him with ALL my flasks but he was killing me in 2 hits.

the problem was I had heavy armor on and couldn`t dodge fast, I am pyro so I started at lvl 1, not already 5 like the knight or others

when I killed him I used the very lame exploit of standing in his crotch where he just hits over me and can`t hit me. now is that difficulty?

anyway I decided to give the game more time and hope it gets better

Arontala:

Well, that has most likely to do with the fact that most threads criticizing Dark Souls are from people whose problems stem from the fact that in fact they do suck at the game.

But they're not bad persons because of that. If something frustrates you, and thus is no fun for you, that's fine.

But to a select few it is the frustration that makes the accomplishment of finally overcoming it so great, thus for them (including me) it's actually the point of the whole game. Complainging about it is much akin to complaining about Modern Warfare 3 not having any option to diplomatically achieve victory.

So in short: if you don't like Dark Souls, don't play it. Just don't make whiny posts about it in a forum where a strong and vocal userbase loves it, because that obviously is trollbait.

Also, keep in mind that many once great series were ruined by people wanting to have more easily accessible experiences (Rainbow 6, Ghost Recon, Red Orchestra, just to name a few), so I personally tend to be rather hostile towards people wanting games that I like because of their complexity and difficulty to be easier.

If you think the Taurus demon is hard then boy are you in for a rough time.

Hahahah serious? My god, this is like the fifth thread I've seen saying the exact same thing. "I'm at the Taurus Demon, I can't kill him, this game sucks. But I'm really good at the game, honest!" Taurus Demon: Seperating the real gamers from the wannabes, every time.

You're not good at the game, you're still learning. Dark Souls is a constant learning curve, every minute of the game. You're never going to hit a point where you can just breeze through the game in a whirlwind of invulnerabilty(though depending on your class you can get pretty strong). It basically comes down to "Get Better". And if that means trying new things, like new tactics or weapons or skills, do that. Don't just keep barrelling in and hoping you'll kill him this time.

People play Dark Souls mainly for the challenge of overcoming. The entire game is a series of trials that you must overcome, and if you get stuck at one and can't overcome it, you either keep trying, or you quit and call the game stupid. And then make a thread about it apparently. The good players will perservere until they succeed, and then revel in the glory.

And yes, it's worth it later in the game. There are some fantastic areas, and some truly insane fights that, if you can beat, makes you feel like a god. Make you fist pump and think "YEAH! I did it! That was an amazing fight, and winning it felt like an enormous achievement!". Not many games can make you feel that way. But if you're stuck at the Taurus Demon, I wouldn't get your hopes up. After all, that enemy becomes a "common" enemy later in the game, and there are dudes that dwarf him in required skill to beat. It sounds like you'd enjoy the gentle hand holding of an easier RPG. Fable perhaps?

Nope, you will more than likely never enjoy the game if you cant stand the very beginning part of it. The game takes a mix of knowledge and skill, its really one big learning experience if you don't enjoy the process why are you playing the game? And really people he probably does suck at the game but that's just because he is new to it. So ya if you can't persevere and refuse to learn from your mistakes play a game you do enjoy.

Project_Xii:
But if you're stuck at the Taurus Demon, I wouldn't get your hopes up. After all, that enemy becomes a "common" enemy later in the game, and there are dudes that dwarf him in required skill to beat.

To be honest, I had quite a bit of difficulty with the Taurus Demon my first time, and I finally beat him because he jumped of the bridge backwards. The difference is, I didn't whine about how hard this boss is, and just kept trying, until I finally beat him. These days, I can easily wipe the floor with his ass, which is just a great feeling when I remember how tough I thought he was. That just shows how far I've come. And I have beaten the game at this point, even defeating bosses like The Four Kings on my first attempt in a truly epic battle, which is just an incredible feeling. And this feeling makes playing the game worth it.

K1CKER:

I want to make it clear, I`m not BAD at the game, I can do all the moves easy, all the counter kills, kicks and jump attacks, I don`t mind at all that I have no map, I can remember an area without difficulty.
-----
I`m at the early Taurus Demon and I can get to him and clear all the 30 or so minions before him without even being touched if I`m careful, but WHY do I have to do it EVERY TIME HE KILLS ME?

I'm sorry, but the moment you make the comment that you're not bad at the game, but can't beat the Taurus Demon, your entire argument went out the window.

As it has been pointed out above, he is one of the easiest bosses, I killed in on my second attempt ever playing the game, without know about the convenient ladder behind you. And i certainly wouldn't have said i was good at the game to start with, not by a long way.

Also about your "I can do all the moves easy, all the counter kills, kicks and jump attacks," sentence,

1) Kicks and jump attacks aren't meant to be hard, so being able to perform them isn't exactly an achievement
2) What you're not realising is that far more important than doing fancy attack moves, is simply learning to Dodge, that is the reason you can't beat the Taurus Demon

I'm sorry, but please don't start a thread about dark souls being a stupid game, just because you can't beat the first boss. It was never designed to give you enemy's head's on a platter.

ahaha all you ladies getting upset I called the game shit are really funny; it`s ok kiddies you can take it out on me and tell me I suck, I don`t mind, really

thanks for all the other useful comments guys, made me give the game more chances, as for the "pros" here, thanks for some good laughs, human stupidity is always funny

K1CKER:
ahaha all you ladies getting upset I called the game shit are really funny; it`s ok kiddies you can take it out on me and tell me I suck, I don`t mind, really

thanks for all the other useful comments guys, made me give the game more chances, as for the "pros" here, thanks for some good laughs, human stupidity is always funny

"I'm not enjoying something as much as a whole bunch of other people in a given demographic. Tell me why this is so. Why aren't I enjoying this as much as you? Convince me to enjoy it, while I repeatedly tell you that you are wrong, and that the thing you like is terrible.

Please, make me like something that I currently dislike. I need your help to like this thing, because you like it and I don't. Also, you are wrong and elitist, because I still don't like it.

And, even though questioning my ability to appreciate and/or operate the "something" is a valid argument, as it can actually impact one's enjoyment of said thing, I assure you that I am perfectly capable of appreciating and/or operating it. No, really, I am...although there is actually no way to prove or disprove this fact. And it is a fact, I assure you. Let me assure you of this again. Fact.

Therefore, you are "human stupidity kiddies", and I laugh at you thusly:

"ahaha, ladies. ahaha, kiddies. ahaha, pros"."

it was a simple question: is the late game content better and worth getting to?

apparently it`s too hard reading until the end of a post. excuse me for not putting it first so all you short attention span pros can read it.

again, thanks to the guys who answered on topic.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here