88.2% (225)
88.2% (225)
Eggman
11.4% (29)
11.4% (29)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Dr. Robotnik or Eggman

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I only recently sat down and played sonic heroes (i was bored and round the mrs) since when did Dr. Robotnik become Eggman D: what the hell!

Eggman is just a fail name Dr Robotnik is so much better i assume its the same guy they just renamed him... as robotnik was maybe hard to say for some?? i dunno.

Also just had a major nostalga trip, to when i was 12 playing sonic 2 and swearing at the tv pro-claiming fuck you Dr ro-fuck-nik and me ma goin nuts that i was swearing at the tv x).

Thoughts?

I'm not sure when they started using Eggman. I know it used to be an insult towards Dr. Robotnik, but somewhere along the line someone goofed.

..In america he's been Dr.Robotnik. In japan he was introduced as Dr.Eggman.

Now Eggman is just a nickname, and his name is, like america, Doctor Ivo Robotnik.

I seem to mostly prefer Dr. Eggman, because that was his original name in 1991 Japan, long before they changed it to Dr. Robotnik just because the name "Eggman" wouldn't fit his robot-armies, giant boss-machines, and nasty addiction to world-conquest. The reason is because somehow, it's almost always better for something from Japan to stay true to its original source-material, rather than have it deliberately changed to fit American audiences, like whenever we have half-assed anime dubs that aren't faithful to their source-material, i.e. Samurai Pizza Cats, Warriors of the Wind (Nausicaa's crappy NA counterpart), Nelvana's Cardcaptor Sakura dub, and 4Kids' One Piece dub.

Seriously, people have too much of a problem with unfaithful, abominable American adaptations to anything out of Japan, yet would rather have Eggman be "Americanized" as Dr. Robotnik? What kind of world do I even live in anymore, if at all, if that's going to be the case?

It has to be Dr. Robotnik for me. Although apparently nobody calls him that any more.

And admittedly using Robotnik may not have worked as well in this song

But I've always called him Dr. Robotnik. My youngest brother calls him Eggman (because that's what he's been used to), and the middle brother switches between.

I love that casual piece of racism.

Megalomaniac mastermind hellbent on ruling the world (and turning everyone into robots no less), with a Russian sounding name? Seems legit.

That said, I think Dr. Robotnik is perfect for the character.

I first encountered the character in a comic. He was referred to as Dr Robotnik, so that's what I go with.

"Eggman" sounds silly.

Always been robotnik to me. Makes him sound more threatening, eggman your just a joke.

Heroes was my first SOnic game, so yeah I call him Eggman..

Meh, I generally think of him as Dr. Eggman, though I'm fine with Robotnik...

i love sonic games , i grew up with them but for the love of nuclear physics i give no shits about hes name , i call him that fat guy in a flying trolly who keeps trying to kill me with toy advertisements.

Sonic Adventure 2 is my first sonic game, so he'll always be eggman to me.

Dr. Eggman Robotnik.

Sonic Adventure 2 clearly had him proudly referring to himself as Eggman, while also showing that his family name was still Robotnik. (And Sonic X did the same, I believe.)

Didn't the original instruction manual call him Ivo 'Eggman' Robotnik? I know it did in the GBA remake.

Regardless, I call him Robotnik.

EternalNothingness:
I seem to mostly prefer Dr. Eggman, because that was his original name in 1991 Japan, long before they changed it to Dr. Robotnik just because the name "Eggman" wouldn't fit his robot-armies, giant boss-machines, and nasty addiction to world-conquest. The reason is because somehow, it's almost always better for something from Japan to stay true to its original source-material, rather than have it deliberately changed to fit American audiences, like whenever we have half-assed anime dubs that aren't faithful to their source-material, i.e. Samurai Pizza Cats, Warriors of the Wind (Nausicaa's crappy NA counterpart), Nelvana's Cardcaptor Sakura dub, and 4Kids' One Piece dub.

Seriously, people have too much of a problem with unfaithful, abominable American adaptations to anything out of Japan, yet would rather have Eggman be "Americanized" as Dr. Robotnik? What kind of world do I even live in anymore, if at all, if that's going to be the case?

Hey! Samurai Pizza Cats is a masterpiece, even if the creators did force Saban to make everything up by not being bothered to even send them the script! It was certainly more memorable and entertaining than the original show.

Also, "Bowser" is a lot more memorable than simply "King Koopa."

So go away, you spoony bard!

Lest your demand for fidelity in translation find you in White Snow, the town filled with lots of snow that is white.

As Tim Rogers said of Final Fantasy VI: ""...while translations cannot, as a rule, be superior to the source material, localizations most certainly can."

Robotnik. Come on, Eggman just sounds really, really stupid.

Arent they like the same guy except if you are some kind of Sonic zealot who cares if sonic has green eyes instead of black?

It's been Dr. Robotnik since I got my first Sonic game for the Mega Drive, and that's how it remains.

Robotnik, just seems more fitting for a man who's using an army of robots to try to take over the world.

Rastien:
I only recently sat down and played sonic heroes (i was bored and round the mrs) since when did Dr. Robotnik become Eggman D: what the hell!

Eggman is just a fail name Dr Robotnik is so much better i assume its the same guy they just renamed him... as robotnik was maybe hard to say for some?? i dunno.

Also just had a major nostalga trip, to when i was 12 playing sonic 2 and swearing at the tv pro-claiming fuck you Dr ro-fuck-nik and me ma goin nuts that i was swearing at the tv x).

Thoughts?

Lets see... How do I get one of those massive "facepalm" pictures coded into here...?

You know when they started using the name "Eggman" in the Sonic series? The very same game in that screenshot you posted. The very first game. "Robotnik" is the weird one, because, they really started bringing that out and about by Sonic Adventure, and more prominently in Sonic Adventure 2. It took all this extra time for America to catch up. This is much with how it took so much longer for America to catch up with Digimon, which came out before Pokémon, and yet, Americans still insisted it was a rip-off, just because Pokémon got translated first.

Despite all of this, I usually find myself calling him "Dr. Robotnik". But, someone had to let you know about this poor logic you just used, coupled with a supreme lack of knowledge about the character's supposed name-change. I would also like to point out the fact that that, in Sonic the Hedgehog 2, the name "Eggman" is spray-pained all over the Wing Fortress.

he's Robotnic to me, always has been always will be

Im a youngling and sonic Adventures 2 was my first Sonic game, so its Eggman.

By the way did the have Chao's before that? Because all I remember of that game is the Chao garden theme

Wasn't his official name Dr. Ivan "Robotnik" Eggman, or something along those lines?

Eggman, well other than being shaped like a goddamn egg, thats about it
Robotnik, now that has some actual relation to what he is all about, making robots

Robotnik 1
Eggman 0

I saw someone named eggman running for office the other day...

Both names are

EternalNothingness:
it's almost always better for something from Japan to stay true to its original source-material, rather than have it deliberately changed to fit American audiences, like whenever we have half-assed anime dubs that aren't faithful to their source-material, i.e. Samurai Pizza Cats

That's your idea of a bad translation, the only reason it's remembered is because of the awesome American dub, the series in Japan is all but forgotten by now and most of the translates for other countries are done off the American dub because that's what everyone prefers even a few of the original creators supposedly. The idea that, it's first so it's better is stupid.

I really don't care if he's Robotnic or Eggman, he's in a world that has a character that gets named sonic that happens to run fast, same goes for Tails and Knuckles, all the names are silly and obvious and not what's important in the games.

He uses robots, not eggs. Totally unrelated to eggs so the answer is obvious.

Davroth:
I love that casual piece of racism.

Megalomaniac mastermind hellbent on ruling the world (and turning everyone into robots no less), with a Russian sounding name? Seems legit.

That said, I think Dr. Robotnik is perfect for the character.

Lol true indeed i had not noticed this till now :P

JediMB:
Dr. Eggman Robotnik.

Sonic Adventure 2 clearly had him proudly referring to himself as Eggman, while also showing that his family name was still Robotnik. (And Sonic X did the same, I believe.)

This! Get over it already. It's been clear for over a decade now that his cannon name is Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik, otherwise just known as Dr. Eggman. Much in the same way as The Shredder from the 80's TMNT cartoon's name was Iroku Saki, but always went by "The Shredder, Sonic's nemis' name is Ivo Robotnik but he goes by Dr. Eggman. Now can we all shut up and get over this already?

I only really played 1 - 3&K way back when and only played Generations after that. The manuals in the first lot called him Robotnik so I did too. As much as I avoid calling him Eggman it was there from the beginning. Considering that Wing Fortress had multiple "EGG" labels over it and then there was Death Egg Zone, not to mention the rather strange and contrived "origin" story that I vaguely remember from the comics, I can't really dismiss it without being incredibly ignorant.

I'll keep calling him Robotnik though. Call him whatever really, it's of little consequence.

teqrevisited:
I only really played 1 - 3&K way back when and only played Generations after that. The manuals in the first lot called him Robotnik so I did too. As much as I avoid calling him Eggman it was there from the beginning. Considering that Wing Fortress had multiple "EGG" labels over it and then there was Death Egg Zone, not to mention the rather strange and contrived "origin" story that I vaguely remember from the comics, I can't really dismiss it without being incredibly ignorant.

I'll keep calling him Robotnik though. Call him whatever really, it's of little consequence.

Like I pointed out before, Wing Fortress Zone didn't just say "EGG"... It said "EGGMAN!

Lugbzurg:
This is much with how it took so much longer for America to catch up with Digimon, which came out before Pokémon, and yet, Americans still insisted it was a rip-off, just because Pokémon got translated first.

Pokemon did come first, the first Pokemon game was release in 1996 and Digimon was released a year later. If you're talking about the anime Pokemon aired in 1997 in Japan and came to America in 1998, the Digimon anime didn't even come out in Japan til 1999. Either way, Pokemon was first.

OT: I thought Eggman was his nickname and Robotnik was his real name. I call him both, it doesn't really matter to me.

I've always called him Dr. Robotnik.

Eggman, to me, sounds like someone ran out of names for Mega Man NES stage bosses.

In the comic, didn't Robotnik die and get replaced by a alternate reality super-robot version called 'Eggman'?
Then got made human by aliens?
Can't remember rightly, that comic was weird.

his name is eggman has always been eggman and will always be eggman, stupid americans needing to be different.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked