Mature Games That Cater to Adults

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

"But we already have those!"

No, no we don't. If we did, than the game I bought that's supposedly for people over the age of 18 wouldn't be screened for graphic content on the grounds that kids might see it (pants on sex scenes anyone?). And if we did, romantic relationships in games wouldn't culminate with an orgasm. And if we did we'd have complex story driven games whose core gameplay *didn't* consist of shooting terrorists in the face. And I imagine that if we did, than every game wouldn't have a 20-50 minute hand holding section in which the publishers politely explain to you how video games work.

Agree/disagree?

The Witcher 2 and Dark Souls.

I can haz thread victory now?

There are plenty of mature games for adults who want a mature character driven story.

Well, I do disagree with the sentiment that tutorials are a sign of immaturity from the developer's part. Sometimes, they're necessary, and they're core part of the beginning gameplay if done right, like in the spirit of Bioshock. Not everyone has been gaming for years, and it's trickier than it sounds getting used to navigating a 3D game enviroment.

That aside, I do agree. Games and developers do tend to take a few too many shortcuts. And even with an adult label, some games still seems to have been developed under the watchful eyes of some moral commissar.

Of course, no matter how restrained, complex and driven a story is, it can always be ruined slightly if the player chooses to hop up on a bin and throw boxes at people.

Edit: there's also the question of exactly what maturity is, which depends alot on the individual. Gore, violence and breasts might be mature to some, reguardless of context, while others put more an emphasis in what context they appear.

You aren't looking hard enough if you are complaining about games having a lack of an engaging plot.

i kind of agree devs fail to realize that blood and gore and sex doesn't really make a game mature. it just means you need to be older to play it and age isn't the best judge for maturity

tony2077:
i kind of agree devs fail to realize that blood and gore and sex doesn't really make a game mature. it just means you need to be older to play it and age isn't the best judge for maturity

This might be true, but then perhaps "mature" isn't the best word to be using. After all, how many adults can you think of that would actually meet the definition of some sort idealized notion of "mature." There might be a few, but if being adult- the same adults that have engaged in rape, war, and genocide throughout history- is any measure of what it is to be "mature," then "maturity" is overrated.

A better word would then be "thoughtful, "deep," or maybe even "wise," but that has it's own problems. After all, such words can be incredibly subjective and hard to define when a lot can be lost between the message being encoded and the message being decoded.

Everyone has a different sense of maturity. Everyone is satisfied differently by what they consider to challenge their boundaries.

Again we present to you: Planescape Torment.

Daystar Clarion:
The Witcher 2 and Dark Souls.

I can haz thread victory now?

There are plenty of mature games for adults who want a mature character driven story.

Thread victory given.

Oh look, it's another thread about complaining about modern AAA games.

It feels like every single one of these threads seem to have the mentality that all games that come out now-a-days are like CoD. When that is clearly not true.

You know what? I'm gonna pull a Daystar here. This thread is now about Oddworld. Specifically Abe's Oddysee.

Fucking love that game. Anyone else played it?

Deu Ex HR?....thats a pretty good one

scorptatious:
Oh look, it's another thread about complaining about modern AAA games.

It feels like every single one of these threads seem to have the mentality that all games that come out now-a-days are like CoD. When that is clearly not true.

You know what? I'm gonna pull a Daystar here. This thread is now about Oddworld. Specifically Abe's Oddysee.

Fucking love that game. Anyone else played it?

I love it. And I have it and the first sequel on my PS3, bought on the PS1 Classics section of the Playstation store.

If you need sex in your games to feel like an adult, you aren't an adult.

Bioshock? Mass Effect?

Believe it or not, Halo: Reach is something that caters towards adults.

Waffle_Man:

tony2077:

This might be true, but then perhaps "mature" isn't the best word to be using. After all, how many adults can you think of that would actually meet the definition of some sort idealized notion of "mature." There might be a few, but if being adult- the same adults that have engaged in rape, war, and genocide throughout history- is any measure of what it is to be "mature," then "maturity" is overrated.

A better word would then be "thoughtful, "deep," or maybe even "wise," but that has it's own problems. After all, such words can be incredibly subjective and hard to define when a lot can be lost between the message being encoded and the message being decoded.

i agree maturity isn't the best because look at some of the 18+ people there old enough to play the games but don't really act like they should even be aloud near them. catering to adults doesn't always mean its going to have a good deep story sometime its just means its going to have more gore then it would have had if they weren't doing it that way

Fr]anc[is:
If you need sex in your games to feel like an adult, you aren't an adult.

AND WE HAVE A HOLE IN ONE.

Honestly though, mature games? Let me see..

Amnesia - Deals with some pretty dark stuff once you put the horror aside.
Bastion - That had the emotional weight of a freight train, I would call it mature and it didn't have any blood or boobs.
Portal 2 - You have to look carefully, and outside the box, but once you get the realisation, the ending has that much more impact.

I would say those games are pretty 'mature' as they all deal with heavy emotions that most younger audiences just can't appreciate or understand fully. For mature in the sense of relationships?

So yeah, what do you deem mature? Because I don't think you're looking properly. And tutorials are required, whether you like it or not, you're not the only person who plays that game, and a good publisher will be trying to reach out even to people who don't usually play video games, their game might be the one that sways them.

There's plenty of games with mature stories that cater to an adult audience. Silent Hill 2, Deadly Premonition, Bioshock, etc. You just need to look a little deeper for them; not every game out there is a guns-blazing COD clone.

Emiscary:

No, no we don't. If we did, than the game I bought that's supposedly for people over the age of 18 wouldn't be screened for graphic content on the grounds that kids might see it (pants on sex scenes anyone?). And if we did, romantic relationships in games wouldn't culminate with an orgasm. And if we did we'd have complex story driven games whose core gameplay *didn't* consist of shooting terrorists in the face. And I imagine that if we did, than every game wouldn't have a 20-50 minute hand holding section in which the publishers politely explain to you how video games work.

Agree/disagree?

Bioshock and Mass Effect.

So, yeah. They exist.

Fallout and Fallout 2, The storyline and humor for the both of the games was and still is ahead of their time.

Not to mention it is still the only game I can be a Drug Addicted, Child Killing, Slaving, Prostitute, Homicidal Murder. And in a another play through be a Intelligent, Smooth Talking Scientist never killing anyone.

L.A. Noire. Your argument is invalid.

OT: Abe's Oddysee was a great game. I think I might have to pick it up on GOG and play it again.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, proof that both mature games exist (even in non-M-rated games) and that Japan always keeps the best stuff to itself:

You will laugh, you will cry, you will never get to legally play this game in English because it was released right at the end of the GBA's life and Nintendo hates Mother fans anyway.

A level student here.
All depends on what your idea of maturity is I guess but, there are definitely mature games for Adults like Bioshock and Deus Ex for example this thread has other good examples already.

I would suggest playing Call of Duty multiplayer on Xbox live, it is filled with incredibly mature players and good sportsmanship.
/sarcasm

I found Dark souls to be pretty mature even though I haven't finished it yet. I didn't notice a lot of the side stories at first since I was trying to learn how to play the game while cursing the gargoyles. However I ended up looking at how a lot of the other characters stories turn out on the wiki and it's pretty ,well, dark.

Deus Ex 1, Bioshock 1, Mass Effect 1, The Witcher 1, Fallout 1, Portal 1, Half Life 2, Manchester united 0.

I was under the impression that The Witcher catered to spotty teenage boys.

Personal pick would be Far Cry 2, I think. That game definitely aimed high in that regard with an overwhelmingly relevant political backdrop.

Well this give me the chance to talk about Gravity Bone

Play Gravity Bone

Thats my good deed for today.

Daystar Clarion:
The Witcher 2

Hardly mature. Falls more in the teenage hardcore part than actually mature part.

Lots of gratituous female nudity doesn't make something actually mature.

There aren't many truly mature games around. Xenogears, Planescape Torment, Valkyrie Profile and some of the Ultimas come to mind, but that's about it.

Edit: Obviously my list is for role-playing games. My experience is limited outside this genre.

If you need to validate your maturity by playing an "adult" game then you've got it wrong. You can be an adult and play Super Mario Galaxy, you can be an adult and make poop jokes, as long as you're responsible and not harming others there isn't anything wrong with it.

Mr Somewhere:
If you need to validate your maturity by playing an "adult" game then you've got it wrong. You can be an adult and play Super Mario Galaxy, you can be an adult and make poop jokes, as long as you're responsible and not harming others there isn't anything wrong with it.

That would be the truly mature realisation, yes. :)

star war knights of the old republic 2 the sith lords and planescape torment. both deal with subjects like war, love, human nature, trust and many more and they both do it in a detailed world with some of the best characters in gaming.

"Mature games for mature gamers such as myself."
That's as immature as it gets. A real mature person can allow himself to be a child every once in a while, and won't need everything to be made for his own specific needs.

Red Dead redemption. John Marston is the manliest man every but not on the 13 year old Gears of War way.

Emiscary:

Agree/disagree?

Wait what . The Mature rating is only for the content . Meaning there is adult content not suitable for children . Sure kids know about sex younger now. But i think legally if a game has certain elements ( like gore and sex ) even if it's brief on partial , they need to be rated a certain age . It's about what they show , nothow they show it .

LiquidGrape:
I was under the impression that The Witcher catered to spotty teenage boys.

The first one definitely did.

zefiris:

Daystar Clarion:
The Witcher 2

Hardly mature. Falls more in the teenage hardcore part than actually mature part.

Lots of gratituous female nudity doesn't make something actually mature.

There's definitely some nudity in Witcher 2, and it's debatable on which side of the "acceptable in context/fan service" side of the ledger it falls. It's miles better than the "OMG TITTIES" card collecting mini game for the sweaty palmed that (dis)graced the first title.

What makes the Witcher 2 an acceptable candidate for the familiar roster of "adult" games (and I see the usual notables making the rounds...Planescape, Silent Hill 2, Mother 3, Bioshock, Bastion, etc, etc) is the storytelling, not the nudity. There's a lot of political wrangling going on in Witcher 2, and very little hand holding offered to the player. There are no "politics for dumbasses" interludes carefully spelling out what is going on for the mouth breathers in the audience, there are few if any true villains, and there is a lot of socio-political context to wade through and consider. It's not the greatest work of fiction ever told, but it's miles ahead of most of its contemporaries, and doesn't deserve to be maligned because it brushes up against sexuality. I'd argue that the relatively staid and earnest Mass Effect is demonstrably more aggressive with its fan servicing than Witcher 2. The fact that Witcher 2 shows nipples shouldn't count for OR against it when determining how "mature" it is.

Soviet Heavy:
Again we present to you: Planescape Torment.

Agreed.

Or, if you want the same story in a more familiar setting, which as a result makes the setting infinitely more interesting, I suggest KOTOR 2.

Or hell, get both. Yeah both have pretty much the same story, but the different settings make each interesting in their own special way.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked