Looking for GW2 information

I'm finding it really difficult to get any kind of info on GW2 despite the fact that tons of people have already logged into it. I don't plan on a digital purchase so the beta's a no for me; can someone well informed answer these questions? Mostly cause it was in development hell for a long time, when I look up "When's it out" I usually get answers like we are planning to release in q1 2009

When is it available in retail boxed format?

When is it out in general?

I have a Prophecies Factions and Nightfall account (Loads of titles and pets etc. - I'll have every birthday pet apart from the first year's) - is it worth going for this hall of monuments thing in the meantime (EoTN is about 5)? What does it actually get you? None of my character names will be nicked if I don't reserve them this way.

Is there a monk class to play? I want to play an ascetic style monk again but by the sounds of things it's gonna be pretty homogeneous.

What formats are the PvP in? Will we see the PuG arena thing with options for GvG and so forth?

Is the UI customisable cause I saw some pvp footage and the UI was worse than WoW's default Arena UI and that's saying a hell of a lot --- Furthermore will we be getting focus target casting?

At what level is competitive PvP available? Is it one-size-fits all type gear that you could get in GW1 or is it WoW style where you can grind yourself up and above other players?

Can you make a max level PvP only character again?

How would you compare the gameplay to GW1's style of 8 customisable skills, one elite. Is it more like WoW's movement instead of the crappy click-to-move stuff?

If you know any of these, please tell me the answers because it's hella confusing. Also I sincerely hope they cut down on the particle effect intensity; I couldn't see shit in the PvP preview I saw cause of the flames and AoE's and lightnings heals and buffs and what have you. The screen was literally loaded with particle effects the majority of the time and looked like ass.

ArenaNet have said themselves it'll be released when it's ready. I remember reading not so long ago the release date will vary depending on how well it's received during Beta weekends, if there are more bugs present then it'll take longer, if not then it'll be released quicker. There's no definitive date however.

You may as well cash whatever you have in at the Hall of Monuments, getting 30 out of 50 points is easy and well worth it imo. You get a ton of cool looking items, you can check here to see what you've unlocked and what is unlockable.

The Monk is gone. The closest thing to a Monk in GW2 is the Guardian, although there are some Monk-like spells in the Elementalist's water attunement also. They didn't want the retarded focus on healing like there was in GW1, instead classes can provide utility, but there's also a huge amount of versatility so as a Guardian you're not strictly a support character, you can just as easily build damage. Classes really aren't homogeneous either, they vary hugely in skillsets and overall playstyle.

At the moment there's World Versus World which is three realms competing against each other for realm wide buffs on a massive map with keeps, supply camps, forts etc. It's a lot like DAoC. There's also structured PvP which currently only involves 5v5 scenarios on maps with control points. There will probably be more PvP game modes added later like GW1. I imagine GvG will come back at some point, the devs have expressed interest in adding Guild Halls after launch and what are Guild Halls without GvG? O:

The UI isn't customisable currently, and I doubt that focus frames will be added. They're not really that necessary from what I've played anyway. TAB works fine.

The gear is capped and any differences are strictly aesthetic. You also get boosted immediately to lv80 when entering structured PvP, but not for WvW.

It's a lot smoother than GW1, and much smoother than WoW also. It plays much more like an action RPG.

As for particle effects, they've toned them down previously but I think they'll probably end up implementing a slider for it.

Thanks, not so bad. Shame to lose healers have a shit UI and no GvG but it's hit enough bells to give it a fair try.

That Hall of Monuments calc doesnt seem to work on my char, presumably due to the lack of EoTN?

Oh my god you can get an FDS :D - And a Felblade!

Baneat:
Thanks, not so bad. Shame to lose healers have a shit UI and no GvG but it's hit enough bells to give it a fair try.

That Hall of Monuments calc doesnt seem to work on my char, presumably due to the lack of EoTN?

It's a lot different from GW1, but I really like what they've done with it. It's awesome how they've designed it so that players rely on themselves, not some random dude at the back spamming WoH off CD.

I imagine you will need EoTN and probably be required to progress to at least the HoM area to link your account with it, the completion of which gives you three free points, so if you have three more easy points that's some nice looking armor right there, you'll be able to transmogrify it all so you can use the skins too. Perma FDS! ^^

Not sure if this will help you but there is a GW2 wiki http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page so hopefully the info will be helpful to you. While the Monk is gone but if you want to be a support type of role then there is that proffession guardian. Sure each profession can handle themselves but to me the Guardian is bit more of a support type of class.

Also yes you need to buy Eye of the North in order to gain access to the Hall of the Monuments. Sure trying to get at least 30 points (to get all of the item, past 30 points are just a title for every 5 points) seen like a hard task in a short time (sure there still no official release date but I guessing it would hopefully out in the summer or at least by September) but there is a guide on how to earn the 30 points in the quickest way possible well a clear guide on what to achives-
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Hall_of_monuments_guide

Baneat:

I'd recommend playing EotN anyway. It's enjoyable, and gives you an insight into the Asura and Charr, for example.

For a fairly indepth look at various aspects of GW2 i'd recommend searching youtube. The link posted is just one example, might not answer all your questions but its certainly worth a look. Twenty six videos each one focusing on a particular aspect of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/show?p=M439IGjSu1M&tracker=show_av

I should just add on the PvP, they are both available right from the start of the game (you don't need to reach a particular level to be eligible). In World vs World you're scaled up to level 80, but in a way that actual level 80s will still have an advantage through things like traits. You'll only have the weapon skills, utilities and traits that you've unlocked. In SPvP you're actually levelled up to 80 (not just scaled), given all abilities and traits to equip as you feel like, and given various sets of gear to choose between. In effect, SPvP has a completely level playing field, but you won't gain experience playing it (you do gain a currency for completely battlegrounds, but I don't know exactly what the rewards will be used for). In WvW you gain experience and gear just like you would in PvE.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked