Under rated games you play?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Visiting different MMO G forum sites, made me feel like GW2 and Tera are the only games around..and this is not the first time, its very funny to observe the hype train and see it gradually dies (after all the expectations fail..) (SWTOR?)

well..It's not to badmouth / make an issue about GW2, Tera or other flavor of the month games..being over hyped..they are famous for a reason but...

I'm just curious / I just want to know which NON-GW2 / NON-Tera and NON-popular games are you playing?
(Those that does not have Sub category on game forum sites) anyone brave enough?

Not sure if it's unpopular or underated but me and some friends played Global Agenda a lot, I alway's thought that was a really fun game and would have played it more if not for the fact that it killed my labtop.

Dark Cloud

Great game, you get to design all the towns after they get destroyed.

Clive Barker's Jericho.

Just amazing and atmospheric game. I liked it _alot_. And i quess i'm the only one.

I really liked Kingdoms of Amalur. It was generic but fun.

I'm going to sacrifice any credibility I have to the god of honesty. According to Steam, I have clocked up almost sixty hours on Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers.

I like the art (and descriptions) on the cards. I like the mix of chance and strategy. I like the unlock-every-card-for-every-deck compulsiveness.

But mostly I just like the fact that I can play it for half an hour after a long day at work and feel totally chilled out.

Final Fantasy 13-2, I thought it was very good and mended 90% of the problems 13 had, also has a bitchin soundtrack! The ending was a huge pile of ASS though...

KaiotakiBun:
I'm just curious / I just want to know which NON-GW2 / NON-Tera and NON-popular games are you playing?

(Those that does not have Sub category on game forum sites) anyone brave enough?

Are you looking for single player, or an MMO?

The Tera/GW2 talk makes it sound like you're after an MMO specifically.

There are TONS of underrated single player games out there, but very few quality MMOs that have gone under the radar to any degree. Most of the time you're looking at revisiting a high profile MMO that had a rough release and has straightened itself out in maintenance mode, but those games tend to run with tiny populations.

Lucyfer86:
Clive Barker's Jericho.

Just amazing and atmospheric game. I liked it _alot_. And i quess i'm the only one.

I don't think you're the only one who liked it, but I think you're the only one who liked it that much.

TheMightyAtrox:

Lucyfer86:
Clive Barker's Jericho.

I don't think you're the only one who liked it, but I think you're the only one who liked it that much.

Hey, i like it too. It could have had more enemy designs but apart from that it`s a great shooter...especially after all the WW2 and modern combat stuff i`m always glad for an fps with a different setting. The character switching is great, they have all different abilities. I would love to see a second game.

I may sound like a broken record but i want to throw Splatterhouse into the mix. I love this brawler (could use some more enemies too).

Binary Domain was a pleaseant surprise game. At first i thougt shooting the same robots over and over again could get boring but i was wrong. The story isn`t the greatest but it`s better than most other schooters these days, i really liked this one. I had more fun with BD than Uncharted3.

OldDirtyCrusty:

TheMightyAtrox:

Lucyfer86:
Clive Barker's Jericho.

Hey, i like it too. It could have had more enemy designs but apart from that it`s a great shooter...especially after all the WW2 and modern combat stuff i`m always glad for an fps with a different setting. The character switching is great, they have all different abilities. I would love to see a second game.

I may sound like a broken record but i want to throw Splatterhouse into the mix. I love this brawler (could use some more enemies too).

Binary Domain was a pleaseant surprise game. At first i thougt shooting the same robots over and over again could get boring but i was wrong. The story isn`t the greatest but it`s better than most other schooters these days, i really liked this one. I had more fun with BD than Uncharted3.

I did like Jericho. It's solid and the boss fghts near the end were awesome. Those are the highlights for me. I feel like a brokenm record also, sighting rea 51, but there it is. Love that one.

Balmong7:
Dark Cloud

Great game, you get to design all the towns after they get destroyed.

I was actually thinking of starting this game soon. I got it awhile back on a whim since it was only 6 dollars. I absolutely loved Dark Cloud 2, but I've heard some negative things about the first. I've played quite a few Level 5 games such as DC2, Rogue Galaxy, Jeanne D'arc, Dragon Quest 8 & 9 and have yet to be disappointed.

For one, Shadow Era a really great online CCG

Also, Regnum Online

but the most underrated game gotta be Minions of Mirth- beat that

Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 still playing it, loads of fun. Well at lest for me.

Mercenaries 2

Fun Fun, more fun than Just Cause 2!

[Flame Shield Engaged!]

If by underrated, you mean sold poorly, then I have a couple:

A Boy and His Blob the 2009 Remake. This game is fun, feels more put together than the original and looks pleasant.

Nier. A very sad game, but fun at the same time. Atleast the first time through.

Jeanne D'Arc. Cool story, interesting take on history. All in all a fun time to play

Vanquish.
If you say it's bad you're just wrong. It's a fact of life.

Alpha Protocol. So good, yet so underrated.

Off-Topic: Why is Tera getting so much buzz? After playing it for a couple hours, it's not quite as good as Age of Conan. As an "action mmorpg (read spam left mouse button)" it's not as good as DC Online. Also the strong pedophilia vibe in Tera turns me right off.

Wolverine's revenge!
It's like metal gear solid, with wolverine!

Deus Ex.

Oh wait.

ParanoidEngineer:
Deus Ex.

Oh wait.

well you could say Deux Ex: Invisible War

that would be under-rated right?

NON-popular is a little vague, OP. Are we talking raw sales figures, fan devotion, being a popular scapegoat, being a lesser-known IP (internationally, at least), or something else? Ah well. Here are a few I play regularly that might qualify for different reasons:

Nier (PS3)--brightly lit, often colorful, very funny, and absolutely grimdark story and action
Hunted: The Demon's Forge (PS3)--not too deep but still fun fantasy action, has characters and a world with enough substance to develop in further games (but inXile and Bethesda won't do it), really enjoyable voice acting

Mystery Dungeon 2: Shiren the Wanderer (DS)--an outstanding console roguelike, remake of a SNES-era game with great graphics and music, no franchise baggage weighing down its gameplay (unlike Pokemon)
Final Fantasy III (DS)--a little clumsy in its use of DS-specific features, but very playable, nice story and graphics

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP)--popular in Japan, but I don't live in Japan
Tenchu: Shadow Assassins (PSP)--takes the story in an interesting direction, controls adapted rather well to the PSP, and there's still all the usual funny, quirky, and messy stealth action of the series

Thief series (PC)--all the challenge and silliness of Tenchu plus a steampunk aesthetic and Benny the Guard, extremely popular in its day but it's an older franchise now (GOG has all three games for a good price)
Risen (PC)--fans of Gothic know it and Risen 2 released recently, but it's a unique take on the Western fantasy rpg genre (mechanics as well as story/setting) and a nice change from Tolkien/D&D-inspired stuff

Colin McRae Rally 2.0. Saw it in a charity shop a week ago and picked it up as i had played it around 10 years ago. Highly acclaimed with gaming magazines but on an 80 on Metacritic.

Not so much underrated as more of a cult following, but the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series. For such a buggy set of games, they've managed to make an FPS RPG Survival Horror Hybrid better than any other game I've played.

The setting just drips with an oppressive atmosphere, and yet, for all the harshness, it presents a world that feels so lifelike and appealing that you almost want to go to Russia yourself. But then you realize its full of giant mutants that want to suck your brains out, and violent empathic beings that scorch your brains.

malestrithe:
A Boy and His Blob the 2009 Remake. This game is fun, feels more put together than the original and looks pleasant.

Plus the hug button is quite possibly the most pointlessly adorable thing I've ever seen in a game

Ralen-Sharr:

ParanoidEngineer:
Deus Ex.

Oh wait.

well you could say Deux Ex: Invisible War

that would be under-rated right?

No, just- just no...

There is no such thing as "Invisible War", you made it up.

Please Lord say you made it up...

MetalDooley:

malestrithe:

Plus the hug button is quite possibly the most pointlessly adorable thing I've ever seen in a game

Can't speak for everyone, but it certainly made me feel better everytime I did it.

God Hand. Japanese Spaghetti Westerns mixed with Bruce Lee martial arts movies, and punching demons in the dick.

I fucking love that game.

hazabaza1:
Vanquish.
If you say it's bad you're just wrong. It's a fact of life.

God I enjoyed that game. The flow was amazing. Action-packed and fast.

Monster Hunter portable 3rd(PSP) (loved it because i had a chance to solo every monster including the hardest endgame monsters).

Hero's might and magic VI(PC) (never played the previous ones, yay for steam sales).

Record of Agarest War(360) (fun jrpg strategy that is basically FF tactics but with a slightly more primitive combat system, but has it's fortes).

Currently it's Dead Island & Fallout New Vegas.

Both great games that had some serious hype behind them before being released and shot down by impatient gamers. I agree that a game shouldn't be released with dozens upon dozens of game-breaking bugs but bugs CAN and WILL be fixed if you could at least show a little bit of patience. Now Fallout New Vegas plays rather well and although Dead Island still suffers from a fair amount of bugs it still holds up as a very addicted very entertaining game.

Pretty much these games-
Gotcha Force
Phantom Crash (I think)
Metal Arms: Glitch in the System.

Those games aren't popular to see the lights of days of a sequel.

Sixties Spidey:
God Hand

I would love to see a remake. I really liked the mechanics but it hurt my eyes.

ThePenguinKnight:
Dead Island

Yay, best zombie game for me. Just finished it 2 months ago.

hazabaza1:
Vanquish.

Didn`t it get good/great scores everywhere? Don`t know anything about the sales but Vanquish is awesome, fast paced oldschool fun packed into an tps and it works.

Punisher- this game is still my favorite Marvel game.
Garth Ennis used a funky Marvel Knights mix as story and Thomas Jane delivers the voicework for F.Castle. Grab your enemies, use them as shield, throw them or shoot them. This was new back then and i still love it.

Ultimate Spiderman- my second favorite Marvel game.
The swinging animations where great and i loved the look and presentation. The story by B.M.Bendis was entertaining/good too.

OldDirtyCrusty:

hazabaza1:
Vanquish.

Didn`t it get good/great scores everywhere? Don`t know anything about the sales but Vanquish is awesome, fast paced oldschool fun packed into an tps and it works.

Jim tends to shit on it but who cares about Jim anyway.
Even with the good scores it's sales weren't too great though, I think. Don't get much talk about it.

putowtin:
Mercenaries 2

Fun Fun, more fun than Just Cause 2!

[Flame Shield Engaged!]

No need, your right. Just Cause 2 had an awesome map, but pretty much everything else left alot to be desired. Unfortunately in my view, mercenaries has the opposite problem. Great everywhere, except for maps. Wish they would do a team up. But that will likely never happen unless a publisher smells money.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked