Are you still looking forward to the Extended Cut ending?
Yes, I have faith that they can set things right.
23.3% (127)
23.3% (127)
No, they're just gonna dish out some more bullshit.
32.8% (179)
32.8% (179)
Honestly, I don't even care anymore.
36.3% (198)
36.3% (198)
Diablo 3 wasn't worth it.
7.3% (40)
7.3% (40)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Your thoughts about the ME 3 ending extension.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Specifically, now that we're over two months since the game's release and with the promise of an "Extended Cut" to be released for free...what are your thoughts on the matter?

At this point I really can't answer my own poll because part of me WANTS to believe that they'll be able to set things right...and yet another part of me EXPECTS them to fail.

I want a lot of things, least of which is to forget about Mass Effect 3. No, not what you're thinking "hurr we haev too many ME3 threds stopp cloggin' da bored asshole!"

No, I'm just tired of Bioware and EA at the moment. I haven't picked up one of their games for months, and I've been focusing on different games in my backlog that have been neglected for too long.

If they can fix the ending, then go right ahead, but it really doesn't affect me what they do.

You need an other option. I feel that the Extended Cut DLC will appease people who were uneasy about the ending, but It wont do anything for the people that adamantly hated the ending.

Personally I have faith that it will somewhat satisfying, they've confirmed several of the squadmates VA's being involved so theres some hope

Captcha: Practice makes perfect, indeed it does Bioware

They're not going to satisfy the people who spearheaded the whole retake effort in the first place unless they completely redo the entire last mission of the game for free. They can't be reasoned with since they weren't reasonable with their reaction in the first place.

I expect this to mostly take care of the "extra closure" that people have brought up. I doubt they'll retcon things like the Catalyst so the retakers will have to live with 29 hours 50 minutes of an awesome 10/10 game and 10 minutes of ruining the franchise forever if that's all they can see.

"Don't even care anymore"

Game & series is dead to me, no point in pretending it was anything it wasn't, time to move on :)

They've already utterly f***ed up. There is nothing they can do to fix it and nothing that will make me feel better or win back my respect. Even if they rewrite the whole ending and I love it, then wtf is the "real" ending? No, Mass Effect is FUBAR'd in the last ten mins.

An epilogue is the least they can do. It might just help make the ending make some shred of sense or give players some satisfaction about what happened to everyone. IMO they owe us that, but they will get no thanks from me for it. it is something that should have been there from the start. Adding it later doesn't make up for it.

The_Blue_Rider:
You need an other option. I feel that the Extended Cut DLC will appease people who were uneasy about the ending, but It wont do anything for the people that adamantly hated the ending.

Personally I have faith that it will somewhat satisfying, they've confirmed several of the squadmates VA's being involved so theres some hope

Captcha: Practice makes perfect, indeed it does Bioware

This.

The extended cut will absolutely help. It's not going to be hurt the game at this point (although, honestly, few things would). The question is will it help enough.

If all you wanted was more closure, this will do it. If all you wanted was an ending that actually made freaking sense and fit thematically and stylistically with the rest of the trlogy, I seriously doubt that this will address those issues in any way.

Although I'm in the latter camp, I've been able to lower my expectations to the point where I'll find the game replayable again provided they at least give me the closure. The ending is basically unsalvageable, but the trilogy isn't.

1. best case scenario Indoctrination theory is true (BEFORE you get down my throat about that it doesnt have to be "indoctriantion theory" in particular..I just a feeling somthings up here) and we all have a good laugh about how Bioware was trolling us and skip off into the sunset

2. ok, I really do not know how this will fix anything IF the ending is to be taken at face vaule

to be honest Im not "that" bothered by the whole thing, Im on a second playthrough, I still love ME3 and it will actually be really interesting to see what they come up with weather or not it fixes everything or nothing

overall I think people should just chill out and see what happens

THEN rage if they see fit

TopazFusion:
How many people are going to play the game again with the ending DLC, and how many people are just going to watch the new ending(s) on youtube.
Honestly? I'll be in the latter group.

I've moved on to other games now.
That said, if the changes to the ending are impressive enough, I might give it another playthrough.

I still don't see how the ending nullifies the rest of the game

all you'd have to do is reload a save, not an enitre playthrough anyway

Stopped caring weeks ago.

Already returned my copy as i'll never play it again.

TopazFusion:

Vault101:
I still don't see how the ending nullifies the rest of the game

all you'd have to do is reload a save, not an enitre playthrough anyway

You're right, and I've kept a save of my game near the end.

And I still think the rest of the game is solid gold. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what Bioware comes up with.

I CAN sort of see how its off putting to do another playthrough of the others

I mean whenever I played ME1/ME2 ME3 was a drving motivation (other than the fact I loved the games)

when your choices dont matter and it ends like that its certainly a dampener

but yeah..I mean Im the biggest Mass Effect fan I know and I'm just like totally chill about the whole thing

because Im awsome

not really

but you get what I mean

Rawne1980:

mabye you'll never play it again..because you DO care...and you don't want to allow yourself to care because your scared of getting hurt again, I think this shows you have some seriosuly repressed issues and feelings regarding the games charachters....

Im kidding

Vault101:

Rawne1980:

mabye you'll never play it again..because you DO care...and you don't want to allow yourself to care because your scared of getting hurt again, I think this shows you have some seriosuly repressed issues and feelings regarding the games charachters....

I think you may be right.

All the way through those last 20 minutes of the game I had no shoulder to cry on. I had no words of comfort. I just had the horror of what had befallen my Shepard.

Even now it hurts to talk about it.

How could it do this to me.

How could it leave me like this.

With 13 kids to raise and 6 dogs to look after it just left me in the lurch.

Ooooh woe is me.

*insert over dramatic collapse to the floor in despair here*

TopazFusion:

Oh I totally get what you mean, and I agree.

I loved the series as a whole too, but I've got such a backlog of games, I've moved on to them.
Hence why I'm also pretty relaxed about this ending DLC.

unfortunatly there was a period (after the inital OMG WTF phase) where all I wanted to do was play ME3...I just oculdnt get into anything else

but now Ive started Uncharted

I forgot this was even happening.

Then I realized, I don't even care anymore. The damage has been done and it's too late to really do anything about it. I'm quite done with Bioware, yes thank you.

Well Bioware already said that the 'Extended Cut' DLC will expand on the current ending, not change it. That's like trying to patch the ship when it's already mostly sunk and the majority of your passengers have long since jumped overboard.

Regardless, I will get the DLC because I am interested in seeing what Bioware will do with it. I'm just not holding my breath for a resolution that will have everything make sense.

There is no way to make the ending better without changing it completely. Unless you believe in the Indoctrination Theory. I don't. And even if it was real, we wouldn't even have an ending in the first place. Which is just as bad.

I think it's salvageable. Never going to be 10/10, ending of the year, but they might pass it off as acceptable. There's a chance they could patch some of the most egregious failures such as

without changing what's already been established.

Maybe.

Or they might just blow more, even bigger holes in the continuity and completely fuck everything in the everywhere, thus renewing my hate and hulk-like fanboy raeg.

It's a tossup.

I'm hoping for a gigantic bioware trollface followed by a real ending.

I honestly stopped really caring about it. I had a bad experience with the game's ending, and it's been 2 months. I quite frankly don't feel like putting the effort of loading up the game only to get the extended cut of my "Blow up everything" ending that I accidentally picked, because it made it super unclear with the choices.

All that really hurt the ending was poor presentation (likely rushed towards the end, like just about every other AAA game ending). Expanding on what we have is likely the best effort to fixing that.

Also, if the Extended Cut ultimately turns out to be a massive failure and a waste of time, that's fine. We've still got the other 39 hours and 55 minutes of closure for every other plot thread in the series.

It doesn't matter what is included in this "free" dlc because it's still excluding anyone who is unable to download it. Not every single gamer will be able to access to 'the real ending' and to them the game is still a fucking mess.

This is why you make a complete game on your first try.

Where is the non extremist opinion option of "hoping for the best but not expecting to be blown away"?

LazyAza:
Where is the non extremist opinion option of "hoping for the best but not expecting to be blown away"?

its where the rest of the reasonable non-angey people are

remaining silent..patiently wating

unfortunatly the damange has already been done for some

EDIT: actually, its not un-reasonable to be angry.....more just the toxic/vocal hate and all that

I'm not an optimist. It's EA/Bioware after all. How much resources do you think they are gonna pull into a free DLC?

I just hope that this DLC comes with a holster function for PC at least. I don't know what were they thinking when they removed that from PC version. Jesus fuckin' Christ. And I'll be very disappointed if the DLC doesn't come with a patch that fixes graphical glitches like broken necks, holes on The Normandy, invisible characters etc. They also need to fix the quest tracking, add a FOV slider for PC and it would be nice if they added high res texture pack. Technical imperfections frustrate me more than anything.

I don't think the ending will actually fix anything. As long as the space kid is real in ME3 the game will suck, because it kills the entire plot of Mass Effect 1. If they go with the indoctrination theory (or anything else that makes the space kid go away) I will forgive their past mistakes.

So yeah, they have to fix a lot of things.

pure.Wasted:
The extended cut will absolutely help. It's not going to be hurt the game at this point (although, honestly, few things would). The question is will it help enough.

If all you wanted was more closure, this will do it. If all you wanted was an ending that actually made freaking sense and fit thematically and stylistically with the rest of the trlogy, I seriously doubt that this will address those issues in any way.

Although I'm in the latter camp, I've been able to lower my expectations to the point where I'll find the game replayable again provided they at least give me the closure. The ending is basically unsalvageable, but the trilogy isn't.

This about sums up my position. Enough time has passed, and I've played enough quality titles in the interim (thanks, Witcher 2!), that I'm no longer wetting my pants in desperation for closure to the Mass Effect trilogy. But it would be nice if the ending was salvaged to the point where I don't feel a slight curling of lip when I reminisce about the entire trilogy. Depending on how busy I am with games (and if GW2 pushes back into the fall, the answer is probably "not very busy") I'll probably do a full playthrough just to see if it actually provides any kind of real closure. They certainly had enough feedback from an unruly fanbase to know which notes they need to hit. They've got their "endings for dummies" book at hand. All they need to do now is walk a straight line and pick up the consolation prize for cleaning up their own mess.

I suppose there's always a possibility Bioware is going to go all George Lucas on us and decide "fuck them if they don't like Jar Jar, he's hilarious" and force feed us even more Catalyst and Space Magic and gormless speculation, making the whole situation much, much worse. But I'm going to be optimistic and hope for the best.

Adam Jensen:
I don't think the ending will actually fix anything. As long as the space kid is real in ME3 the game will suck, because it kills the entire plot of Mass Effect 1.

I've heard this argument before, that the ending to ME 3 completely negates ME 1's story and I jjust don't buy it. I didn't like Space Timmy any more than anyone else, but he hardly ruined the entire series. Honestly, please explain to me how/why the little punk is so detrimental that he fucks up the first game of the series.

Personally, I thought that the entire game was far, far weaker than the other two in terms of writing- just a linear sequence of soap opera and fan service. The DLC to extend the endings has already been established to not change anything, so I have to assume that they won't be fixing any of the horrendous plot holes.

In conclusion, I expect exactly more of what we already got. Soap opera, fan service, unnecessary MacGuffin. Got to figure they are not going to want to spend that much on a free DLC, so expect the extra content to be very brief (voice acting costs money, and we don't even have a silent protagonist).

RJ 17:

Adam Jensen:
I don't think the ending will actually fix anything. As long as the space kid is real in ME3 the game will suck, because it kills the entire plot of Mass Effect 1.

I've heard this argument before, that the ending to ME 3 completely negates ME 1's story and I jjust don't buy it. I didn't like Space Timmy any more than anyone else, but he hardly ruined the entire series. Honestly, please explain to me how/why the little punk is so detrimental that he fucks up the first game of the series.

Because why doesn't he simply activate the Citadel himself?

Because he changes the point of the game from:

"Unite everyone and stop the Reapers, regardless of the cost"

To:

"Resolve the metaphysical conflict between organics and synthetics and the fact that synthetics will probably destroy everything".

Which would be fine, except for a few points:
1) We just got the Geth and Quarians working together. EDI and Joker are working together fine. It turns out, that synthetics and organics work together fine. Hence, no need for him.
2) The entire plot is given to you in just 14 lines of dialog. The first goal had 2 games and 98% of the third devoted to "Survive together".
3) (And this is the most important one) Shepard cannot refuse, question, argue with, leave or flat out sit on his ass and do nothing. (S)He accepts this randomly and awkwardly introduced character from nowhere, accepts their logic (whether he is anti-Geth, pro-human, pro-life, self-sacrificing or selfish, Paragon or Renegade) and YOU, the player, have no choice in the matter. Even in ME2, you could pick whether you'd destroy the place, who would survive, who you trust, so on. ME3, you get none of this.

Even with all of the above, I have simply moved to "Don't care anymore". I'm far more concerned with the game industries reaction to it, particular certain people (cough, MovieBob, cough).

Well, I hope it fixes it. After hearing how disappointed my friends were with the ending I just didn't buy the game (One finished and was sad, the other stopped halfway through to wait for the DLC). If it sounds like a decent fix I'll get it. If not, I'll probably get it from the bargain bin in a year or so, since by all accounts the rest of the game is excellent.
Basically, I'd rather stop my Shepard's story halfway through than ruin it entirely. If the ending remains bad I need to wait until I no longer care about my Shepard before I make him go through it!

I honestly find it really patronising the way they tried to handle this.

"shitloads of people didn't like the ending? Eh, let's not say anything other than "we are listening" for ages and then when we do announce something it will just be us saying "You didn't like the ending, you must just not get it. Here, let us clear that up for you, you stupid, stupid retard."

Guess my position on that....

Captcha: Oh, lord.

Paladin2905:
Personally, I thought that the entire game was far, far weaker than the other two in terms of writing- just a linear sequence of soap opera and fan service. The DLC to extend the endings has already been established to not change anything, so I have to assume that they won't be fixing any of the horrendous plot holes.

In conclusion, I expect exactly more of what we already got. Soap opera, fan service, unnecessary MacGuffin. Got to figure they are not going to want to spend that much on a free DLC, so expect the extra content to be very brief (voice acting costs money, and we don't even have a silent protagonist).

Also this. I have said many times it was more soap opera than space opera.

And two words for why the 3rd game should have gone back to the drawing board: Kai. Leng.

Fuck that guy, and whoever wrote him.

Chairman Miaow:

Paladin2905:

Also this. I have said many times it was more soap opera than space opera.

And two words for why the 3rd game should have gone back to the drawing board: Kai. Leng.

Fuck that guy, and whoever wrote him.

In the books(Minus Deception) he was pretty cool. In the game he was just a retard with a sword and plot armour. So yeah, fuck him indeed.

My problem was never with the content of the ending, it was with the fact the game got lazy and practically went "right, that's the end, it's all over now, you decide what happened." Which is a cop out.
If the extended cut gives us an ending, rather than a series of FMV's that barely constitute an ending when liberally interpreted, then I'll be happy.

It's still a disgrace they've had to release DLC to fix this though, purely because they couldn't be bothered with the work the first time around.

What is this Mass Effect three that you speak of? I'm quite certain the only large game release that has happened recently is Diablo 3. According to my calender I'm still waiting for Bioware to finish developing the game and release it.
/feign ignorance

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked