Your thoughts on Max Payne 3

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

So there's no shortage of threads discussing Diablo 3 but I have yet to see any regarding MP3.

I just started playing it tonight for the PS3, don't really know what to make of it yet. When I booted it up, I tried out a quick team deathmatch round even before the single player... not a good idea when I didn't know the controls. At first glance, it's a fresh take on an old concept. Managed to go 5 kills and 9 deaths, not bad for running in to walls for most of the round.

I've also gotten through two of the chapters in the single player campaign. While I was thrilled to have the old familiar Max Payne gameplay, it has thus far completely lacked the Max Payne atmosphere including the graphic novel sequences and the film noir feel of a seedy New York.

Really, I've just scratched the surface of what the game has to offer so the jury is still out.

What do you guys think of it?

Oh and if any of you Canadian Escapists are looking for a crew to join, drop me a PM.

I haven't got it yet and am not sure I'm going to any time soon.

I must say though, it looks impressive and I wish I was playing it right now.

I didn't like the commercials... the new one shows an Uzi firing but it's firing like 3 times between each shell ejecting :(

Up to chapter...4?

It's really tough. Way tougher than the first two and I finished those on the hardest difficulties. Must be the adjusting from PC to Xbox.

It's really good. I'm glad James McCaffrey came back because I couldn't imagine Max Payne without his voice. Now with added full body motion!

The comic-book style has been eschewed, but I really dig the new format.

usmarine4160:
I didn't like the commercials... the new one shows an Uzi firing but it's firing like 3 times between each shell ejecting :(

So? Is authentitcity a big thing? :P

OT:

Goofguy:
snip

Well the games only just come out in america. Its not even out here in the uk yet. But i'll be sure to share my opinion once i have had some time with it :P

I wish it still had the comic panels as well, but hey maybe it'll be better for it. From what i have seen in trailers this one takes a different direction to the others. Max payne 2 was great but more of the same, i think the first took the idea as far as it could (new york setting).

But there DO seem to be some parts set in snow with max being how he was before (trenchcoat etc) SO im guessing those are some kind of flashbacks? Best of both worlds then :P

Plus most of the diablo threads have just been about bitching on things, rather than playing the game itself.

I'm pleasantly surprised. Fans who have played the previous games should be right at home. Only about halfway through, and the challenge is really nice.

Has anyone found the "tourist locations" by chance? Or even know what they are?

Saw gameplay videos and was greatly impressed. Not sure if I'll shell out money to play it right away though. It's giving me cause to replay Max Payne 2 though, that game still has energy.

It's interesting (not to mention nostalgic) to see how well the original narrative was kept. I was worried that after nine years Rockstar would forget how well it worked. From the narration and the music, I'm very happy with what I see

Its pretty damn good, though i have noticed an apparant glitch where I randomly die during melee animations, regardless of whether there were any enemies left...

I'll pick it up once it hits the bargain bin.

Also, there is a special corner of hell reserved for people who join multiplayer games without learning the controls and basic mechanics first. Just sayin'.

Zhukov:

Also, there is a special corner of hell reserved for people who join multiplayer games without learning the controls and basic mechanics first. Just sayin'.

Agreed, I was overzealous. I really wanted to see how the bullet time worked in multiplayer instead, I made an ass of myself.

I was going to hell anyway, now I guess I got some nice real estate lined up.

Goofguy:

Zhukov:

Agreed, I was overzealous. I really wanted to see how the bullet time worked in multiplayer instead, I made an ass of myself.

So how does the bullet time work in multiplayer?

That strikes me as a tricky mechanic to execute.

Zhukov:

Goofguy:

Zhukov:

So how does the bullet time work in multiplayer?

That strikes me as a tricky mechanic to execute.

It only affects enemies in your line of sight (can see their name). Nearby friendlies get the positive benefits as well. Anyone can shootdodge with adrenaline, but to use "real" bullet-time you have to have a specific killstreak.

So far, I love the game. Easily the best Max Payne game to date. The only thing I found strange is how they've sort of glossed over the whole Mona Sax thing from the second game.

I am really interested in it, I am going to buy it anyway but since I recently bought Trials Evolution and Perfect Dark for XBLA I can wait for the price to drop a little bit. I have also been playing Gears 3 with some friends so that also helps the wait.

Good to know that it is hard, it makes games more intense (at least for me lol)

Ordinaryundone:
[quote="Zhukov" post="9.375390.14574058"][quote="Goofguy" post="9.375390.14573673"]
It only affects enemies in your line of sight (can see their name). Nearby friendlies get the positive benefits as well. Anyone can shootdodge with adrenaline, but to use "real" bullet-time you have to have a specific killstreak.

So far, I love the game. Easily the best Max Payne game to date. The only thing I found strange is how they've sort of glossed over the whole Mona Sax thing from the second game.

Yeah its weird, i havnt played the game yet but even in the comic strip they made for max payne three (On marvel website) Max only mentions Mona once ("All the women in my life have left me") but thats it :/

As for the slow-mo, i have a question. If slow-mo is activated, and someone is out of sight, but then become visible during the slow-mo, does it start affecting them aswell? I'm guessing so otherwise it would be easy to just hang back and take everyone out when they are frozen ^_^

I've taken a brief peek or two at some game vids. It definately seems to have retained a lot of the spirit of Max Payne, but taken it in a slightly different direction.

It's fine with me. I liked the stylized noir visuals of the earlier games too, but I can tolerate a different take, and beyond that; Max is still the same miserable glass-half-empty guy (now going through a mid-life crisis and a drinking problem) and narratively it seems to be very faithful to the original games.

The cheesiness of the first game (didn't get to 2, but I'm thinking of trying it used) has been played down in favour of really cranking up the grittiness.

Will be getting it when it's available in England. Seems like classic Max Payne if you can get your head around the baldness, the beard and the hawaiian shirt.

When I first saw it I knew the location wouldn't work with a noir theme and it doesn't. First time in a long time R* screwed up. But if the engine is going to be used on GTAV, then I will be very happy. Looks great. Just...not noir-y enough.

daveman247:

Ordinaryundone:

Yeah its weird, i havnt played the game yet but even in the comic strip they made for max payne three (On marvel website) Max only mentions Mona once ("All the women in my life have left me") but thats it :/

Can anyone answer me this, which of Max Payne 2's endings are canon?

OT: I was talking to a friend about Max Payne 3 today and I realized that while its gameplay remains largely unchanged from the previous Max Payne games, it's been a long time since I've played a game with the same mechanics.

I agree that the game is relatively hard but I wonder if that's in large part to my not being used to this style anymore. Case in point, in the majority of shooters these days, your low health is strongly indicated by controller vibrations, the bleeding red border, fading/pulsating screens etc. This is remedied by taking cover until your health regenerates. The health system in MP3 is the same as in its predecessors: the silhouette of Max on the HUD fills with red the more damage you take and your health is restored by popping painkillers. However, if you don't pay attention to it during those hectic firefights, you might just die with no warnings, no indications, nothing.

Most of my deaths in MP3 have been completely preventable; I have enough painkillers, I'm just not paying attention because subconsciously, I'm accustomed to waiting for my controller and/or screen to go haywire at my impending death.

Anyway, this is by no means a complaint, more of an observation. So what does it boil down to? I suck at MP3 in a way that would shame my teenage self who kicked ass at MP and MP2.

Goofguy:

Hm, come to think of it i'm not sure. Maybe that is why they left it vague, so either could work.

And as for the difficulty, dont feel bad. The AI from what i have seen has been amped up :P They dont just stand there and shoot anymore.

Goofguy:

The happy ending isn't canon, doesn't seem that way at least. (it's a Max Payne game so what'd you expect? Haha.)

OP

I enjoyed it enough, it is pretty tough but that's not a complaint. I understand they wanted to do something new so you see very little of New York but I would have liked a prologue or more flashbacks or something, replaying through the high points of the first two (like coming home after your family is murdered) just to sort of catch you up with everything that has happened. One of my favorite points in the first game was that weird nightmare sequence and I don't remember anything trippy like that in this one.

Also when you pick up from a save while the game loads it does something similar to the comic panels in the old game, maybe it's meant to be a nod.

I haven't got it yet, and i don't really have time to play any new games so I'll hold out a bit for it. I am looking forward to renewing a crippling painkiller addiction though. I'll be getting it on PC.

daveman247:

As for the slow-mo, i have a question. If slow-mo is activated, and someone is out of sight, but then become visible during the slow-mo, does it start affecting them aswell? I'm guessing so otherwise it would be easy to just hang back and take everyone out when they are frozen ^_^

It isn't even so much that they don't mention Mona, it's that they sort of gloss over the events of Max Payne 2 entirely. To be fair, it had a pretty conclusive ending that didn't leave a lot of room for Max's life to get worse (which, really, is the entire point of the series). The whole "Max coming to terms with his wife's death" thing is completely dropped. I guess it makes more sense if you think of Max Payne 1 and 2 happening nearly back to back, as opposed to months apart.

As for bullet-time, it isn't nearly as powerful as it is in single player. I think only a level 3 Bullet Time burst really starts to mess up other players, and that is pretty difficult to get. Shootdodge doesn't last that long and the effect isn't gamebreaking. I don't know if coming into view after the fact effects you, but I think it does.

Goofguy:

I don't think they specify either way (again, the game is really really vague when it comes to talking about Max Payne 2), but I'm pretty sure Mona Sax dying was the canon ending.

it is really fun but I quite tell if the ending was a happy one or not. without saying what happened I really was not sure what was Max's emotional state was at the end.

Its out in the UK now, and with some time with both single and multi i can say it is brillient ^_^

They were not kidding about the difficulty, a good burst of machinegun fire is enough to kill max on normal!

And shootdodge is surprisingly useful during online games.

The stories great too.

The only thing i dont like is the spawns in multi, they are poorly placed and people can get several easy spawn kills at times before the game decides to change the point.

I loved it, it's the most fun I've had in a video game for a long time.

I've written a rather extensive review on it here on the escapist,

please check it out ;D

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.375680-The-view-from-the-nest-Max-Payne-3#14593887

I just finished the campaign today, and it was awesome.

I still need to delve deeper into the multiplayer, but so far it has also been pretty good.

Grape_Bullion:

yea, I found them all by accident. there are 3 of them.
they are locations where you talk to this random guy, they are pretty funny. I'll give you a hint...

the first one is behind a door with a green handle in the night club section.

chuckey:

Grape_Bullion:

they are locations where you talk to this random guy, they are pretty funny. I'll give you a hint...

Ahh, so thats what they are. I've run into him twice so far, ill look out for the last time :P He's funny, like looking into a mirror.

chuckey:

Grape_Bullion:

Is there something you have to do once you talk to him? I've met up with him three times, but the only implication I was on vacation was the airport.

Grape_Bullion:

chuckey:

Grape_Bullion:

Is there something you have to do once you talk to him? I've met up with him three times, but the only implication I was on vacation was the airport.

ohh wait I forgot there are actually 5.

3 are with that fat guy and two are with this other dude. the second guy shows up in a strip club in sao paulo and again during a prison section.

*captcha*: make my day - how fitting

Loved the former MPgames and i love this one. Free aim works better than expected with a controller. I can manage multiple headshots during a dodge and the gun fights are hard but fun. The little nods to the former games are great and i don`t mind the missing noir feeling. To me it`s still a Max Payne.
I own the ps3 version and i`m glad about the switching option for the triggers and you can turn of the ugly golden guns or the bullet time effect if you want to.
The only thing i dislike so far are the words popping up during the cutscenes. They feel a bit to random and stupid but i`m glad that it`s toned down in the later game.

Enjoying it so far for the most part. The BulletTime and ShootDodge mechanics still work well and they combine brilliantly with the cover system. When you get good enough to fling yourself around and dispatch a whole roomful of mooks without taking a shot, it does feel fantastically cinematic.

The only things I don't like revolve around the cutscenes. Lots of long, unskippable ones even on replay and Payne does some really stupid things at times. I'm probably a bit over-sensitive about this because of Mass Effect 3, but when I can kill 15 guys before they get a shot off, it's a bit annoying when my character just walks into a room filled with armed enemies and says "put down your guns everyone". I suppose him being a drunk gives a narrative reason for it, but I just hate having control wrested away from me like that.

There are also some frustrating difficulty spikes. I was playing it last night after getting home from the pub... still can't find the controller I threw at the wall...

chuckey:

Grape_Bullion:

chuckey:

ohh wait I forgot there are actually 5.

3 are with that fat guy and two are with this other dude. the second guy shows up in a strip club in sao paulo and again during a prison section.

*captcha*: make my day - how fitting

Much appreciated. Do you know, or anyone else know for that matter, if switching from free aim to hard lock will affect the ability to get the old school achievement/trophy? I'm not even sure if it will help me, just beyond stuck on chapter 11 and wondering if hard lock is actually helpful in that dumb gunfight on the side of the yacht with the guys on the dry dock.

You know, I was sure this game was going to be crap in a basket from the trailers, but I think I shall pick it up monday now!

Thanks!

Max Payne 3 is tits. that is all...... ok ok

MP3 has it all, fantastic story, great soundtrack, and transitions seamlessly. as for the whole i don't think its good because it doesn't have the noir feel of the first 2, the noir feel is there, its just different because its set in brazil. and i think thats good for a genre that seems to be stuck in the city setting. anyway there are levels that are in the city so you still get some moneys worth.

Max Payne 3's multiplayer is also quite impressive. i liked it. if you watch the trailers after playing the game, they actually compliment what the game sets out to achieve.

so yeah get Max Payne 3. as i said. it's tits.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked