Thoughts on Diablo 3

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

I am wondering what you all think of Diablo 3. I think it is really fun. The graphics are great and the demon hunter class is very interesting and awesome. The only bad part is the servers.

I preferred Diablo 2, got into it a lot easier. This looks like WoW with blood

usmarine4160:

This does look like wow with blood . It's a fun little time waster . Doesn't seem to have much replay value . And i don't really see the point of joining random people in public games since the game is so damn linear . Everything is blocked off , until you do something . I also don't see the point of making several of the same character unless one is hardcore and the other isn't . I really don't see people playig this for years on end . I'll prolly just go through it once with my bard into inferno . MAYBE make a hardcore character and then drop it completly . To be fair i didn't buy the game , my girlfriend did , so i play on her account .

Enjoying the hell out of the game so far. Looking forward to replaying it on harder modes and Hardcore and hoping PvP comes in after all that. Don't care about the online DRM, as far as I am concerned its just like logging into WoW or StarCraft or anything really.

This thread is now covered with jars of spiders

and that's why I've been enjoying Diablo 3.

Seems good, really enjoying the "flow" getting rid of potion spamming has increased the tension. The graphics are somewhat lackluster though, but that is really more of a diablo tradition than anything. I mean damn SVGA was out in like 92 with the crusader series and then D1 made it all quick moving and sexy.

krazykidd:

usmarine4160:

This does look like wow with blood . It's a fun little time waster . Doesn't seem to have much replay value . And i don't really see the point of joining random people in public games since the game is so damn linear . Everything is blocked off , until you do something . I also don't see the point of making several of the same character unless one is hardcore and the other isn't . I really don't see people playig this for years on end . I'll prolly just go through it once with my bard into inferno . MAYBE make a hardcore character and then drop it completly . To be fair i didn't buy the game , my girlfriend did , so i play on her account .

This.
Its kinda fun but D2 and Path of Exile are much better. People will probably still be playing Diablo 2 when everyone has gotten tired of Diablo 3.

Darknacht:
This.
Its kinda fun but D2 and Path of Exile are much better. People will probably still be playing Diablo 2 when everyone has gotten tired of Diablo 3.

People don't play D2 for the replay value of the campaign though. They do it for the items, and we haven't seen how the whole RMAH/item tables will pan out in D3 at all.

Hell, people go out of their way not to play D2 via botting and rushing.

Had been having fun up until a little while ago.

Barbarian + hell difficulty = :/ I've been in act 1 most of the day, requires all competent people to do anything other than die every time you run into a pain in the ass ability combo like jailer desecrator, or frozen plagued, or arcane enchanted ANYTHING.

Occasionally you run into neato ones that are actually fun to fight and not frustrating though.

Edit: Also vampiric desecrator/plagued. I don't know how many times I've seen a barb summon the three stooges(or a witch doctor throw a bunch of pets at it) on that kind of group and make them all invincible for at least 15 seconds, usually longer with the duration increasing rune. I did it a few times in nightmare before I learned, but this is an entire play through later :/

guitarsniper:

*Wanga Doll-fist*

Although, the Monk is also pretty damn fun.

guitarsniper:

I never knew that throwing jars could be sooooooo much fun.

OT: I'm loving every last second of it. The replay value seems a little weak, but I'll hold off on judging for a few month.

The_Lost_King:
I am wondering what you all think of Diablo 3. I think it is really fun. The graphics are great and the demon hunter class is very interesting and awesome. The only bad part is the servers.

My friend got it at release. He's really enjoyed Path of Exile in the time that the servers have been down.

I don't think anymore needs to be said here.

Based on the complaining I heard I thought it would be a lot worst. I heard they got rid of skill builds...only to find out that they still make you choose what skills you want to use, it is just a different method and it is easier to change. I heard the atmosphere was terrible...I don't understand what they were talking about.

Online doesn't bother me, they told us there were going to be kinks in the system for the first few days, it is not like they sprung it on us. The game has been playable a majority of the time for a majority of people, that is fair enough. When you have well in excess of a million players there are going to be problems for some people, that is just the nature of PC games.

One aspect that I have not seen talked about is that Diablo is all about the grind for items and making your hero as strong as possible. In the past you had an expansion introduce new items in Diablo 2. In this day and age that is not really necessary. It would be entirely possible for Blizzard to release several small item expansions to keep people chasing after new shiny stuff.

For the record, playing Barbarian, making enemies explode is fun.

Catch - Very Nice, it knows where it is at.

Enjoying it so far. My monk's pseudo-Russian accent is a bit grating, but everything else is just peaches.
Right now, with all the random disconnects, the worst thing about it is that your progress in exploring parts of a map is not saved in any way, meaning that if the game boots you out you have to clear all that annoying fog of war all over again. (This might be due to the maps being procedurally generated, at least in part if I'm not mistaken.)

I admit I have been liking the game much to my surpise since I only bought it to co-op with my mate who still haven't bought it yet (too busy with work at the moment).
Yes I agree with the sever and I dislike the no character customization at all (yes I know they don't do it but I thought they could of made one). I would of like if they added zoom option and not having to use the mouse all the time to move since I know when I'm played too much when my clicking figner started to strain.

Scarim Coral:
I admit I have been liking the game much to my surpise since I only bought it to co-op with my mate who still haven't bought it yet (too busy with work at the moment).
Yes I agree with the sever and I dislike the no character customization at all (yes I know they don't do it but I thought they could of made one). I would of like if they added zoom option and not having to use the mouse all the time to move since I know when I'm played too much when my clicking figner started to strain.

Press Z it'll zoom.

Sonicron:
Enjoying it so far. My monk's pseudo-Russian accent is a bit grating, but everything else is just peaches.
Right now, with all the random disconnects, the worst thing about it is that your progress in exploring parts of a map is not saved in any way, meaning that if the game boots you out you have to clear all that annoying fog of war all over again. (This might be due to the maps being procedurally generated, at least in part if I'm not mistaken.)

Join general chat . Most people , once the join general chat the stop disconnected . Well it worked for me , maybe it's worth a shot ?

It's not that bad but I guess I'd still prefer Titan Quest or D2 over Diablo 3

Graphics: 8 - The game art style and atmosphere of the game are fantastic. It doesn't push any graphical boundaries as it's designed to work on very old machines. The dark mood and violent themes make it deserving of the Diablo name. Some of the environments feel overused though and can get tiresome as you go through the 4th floor of a dungeon which only has minor tweaks from floor to floor.

Sound: 8 - The sound effects in this game are wonderful! Breaking the environment, interacting with the environment, and blowing up enemies all sounds great. The soundtrack also does it's job as it comes off as subtle but not intrusive to the game despite play sessions that can last hours. The voice acting is a mixed bag though, in particular, Deckard Cain comes across as a disappointing performance for such an iconic character in past games.

Gameplay: 9 - Blizzard did a fantastic job of giving us a fun game to play. Monsters use varied tactics and continually challenge the player in different ways. Gone are a lot of the cheap outs of endless potion quaffing and town portals to town when things get scary. The game requires far more skill and allows for far more build creativity and customization than was ever realistic in prior Diablo games.
A couple minor complaint would be that some runes are fairly trivial. Simply boosting the damage of a spell. I'd have rather seen the base spell be the most powerful version from a strict damage point and the runes modify this in interesting ways. In addition, the fact that runes are intended to be balanced again one another but cannot be chosen by the player on level gain proves restrictive to player choice for no real reason.

Final Score: 8.5 / 10

I'd highly recommend this game as a purchase.
Note: There is still a lot more for me to do in this game making the review incomplete and the scores more of an 'initial look' rather than a true review. The game feels like it'll last me for months or years in terms of replay value. But only time will tell if it has that Diablo 2 replayability.

Everything about D3 is garbage, Blizzard is dead to me, I'm ragequitting gaming as a hobby.

it boggles my mind how this rainbow game with blurry crap graphics and a 5 yr happy disney plot can be praised. There's ZERO character customization. Aside from items (AKA SUPERFICIAL CRAP) every barbarian is the same as every other barbarian. Jesus christ so much handholding.

I fucking despise the ability and runes system. Its absolute garbage.

The auction house is also going to make farming pointless, which is a pity, because its the only thing Diablo has going for it in terms of longevity.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

*Gasp* But that game was singleplayer! How can you say that a singleplayer game is better than a multiplyer game? I think that that must mean you are stupid for not wanting to play a multiplayer game more. Because everyone knows that people want to play these games with other people.

...Ok, screw it, I can't properly convey sarcasm over the internet so I'm just going to say that it was.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

It really was.
Although, I have to say I'm enjoying D3 quite a bit, but where are all the good items? In normal, I had like 10 good items drop all together! Also: thank god they included elective mode, without it, I would have thrown it in the bin.

Played this at a friend's house for less than ten minutes before I was booted from the server.

The menu is ripped straight from World of Warcraft.
Pre-rendered Cinematics look good, but are filled with terrible dialogue.
The artwork is more Torchlight than Diablo.
Spells and abilities are insanely flashy, considering I was level 1 I shouldn't be lighting up the screen like the Las Vegas strip on Acid.
Music is nice. Voice acting is fucking horrendous.
Constant Lag made the usual Diablo gameplay feel terrible, unpolished and frankly not very good.
The UI doesn't look like a Diablo game.

When it booted me, and my friend offered to let me keep playing, I said no thanks. I think that says it all, really. 10 minutes in and I had enough information.

I played Diablo 2 this evening, just to compare. And... there is no comparsion. Diablo 3 is, frankly, a pathetic WoW-themed Diablo clone.

The Torchlight 2 Beta Gameplay on Youtube is more interesting. And if my net goes down, at least YouTube buffered the fucking video.

I'm surpised that for something that was developed so long it's still so damn unbalanced. What have they done the last 12 years?

The barbarian is basically a crazy tanking killing machine and everyone else is weak compared to him. It's just like in the release of D2.

The game is mad fun though, I used a sorceress, who pretty much sucks I think, just to complement my team, but as far as I can tell my whole team should have consisted of 4 barbarians.

I don't understand how anyone can think the art style is like Torchlight...

The Cinematics lag for me, the gameplay is meh.
The graphics and performance is poor considering the quality of the game and it brings nothing new to the table.

It's over price by a LONG way.

Zaik:
Had been having fun up until a little while ago.

Barbarian + hell difficulty = :/ I've been in act 1 most of the day, requires all competent people to do anything other than die every time you run into a pain in the ass ability combo like jailer desecrator, or frozen plagued, or arcane enchanted ANYTHING.

Occasionally you run into neato ones that are actually fun to fight and not frustrating though.

Edit: Also vampiric desecrator/plagued. I don't know how many times I've seen a barb summon the three stooges(or a witch doctor throw a bunch of pets at it) on that kind of group and make them all invincible for at least 15 seconds, usually longer with the duration increasing rune. I did it a few times in nightmare before I learned, but this is an entire play through later :/

Wait , you went up in difficulty and then stopped having fun? You do know what difficulty settings is for ... Right?

Also question about hell difficulty . Is it like diablo 2 where monsters have imunities or do they just do an insane amount of damage? The former makes it hard if not impossible to solo , where as the latter might just require thinking ahead .I'm only on normal With a barbarian , but the game so far is REALLY easy . See i like challenge so , i was wondering if i should just go an make a hardcore character or if i should just wait it out .

Also , anyone else curious what blizz is gonna nerf first?

Zeh Don:

The Torchlight 2 Beta Gameplay on Youtube is more interesting.

TL2 spells from lvl1 are flashy aswell, but even worse then just flashy; they are crap in terms of dmg. Why use a spell that does 30% weapon dmg, when i can just autoattack for 100% dmg?
And who's brainiac idea was it to make splash dmg on weapons anyway? Gah!!

The artworks is more cartoonish then D3, to the points it's hard to target mobs, cause they blend in too much.
The music in TL2 is nice, but voice acting is fucking horrendous aswell.

So if you think that pot-spamming, autoattacking your way through mobs is fun, then go TL2.

captcha: "that's enough" yeah, it is

Ahh, somewhere to voice my thoughts on Diablo 3!

First off, I'm disappointed that there's no character customisation, it reminds me of Dungeon Siege 3 with its non-customisation and samey looking armour. But I'm only in the first act so I'm still hopeful that there'll be a lot of interesting and unique armour sets later in the game.

As for combat, I'm having difficulties clicking on my target rather than walking towards it, and not being able to move the camera or zoom to my chosen level can get annoying.

Honestly, it's fun but it's a tad disappointing.

2 Steps down from Diablo II. Shitty DRM, always online horseshit, *less content* than D2 (which is astounding in and of itself), and yet another contrived excuse for publishers to charge money for jack shit (the Auction House! WOO!).

I want to know how Blizzard can justify the price tag. Clearly its not production cost. Runic have proven that.

So far I'm having a blast. The game play feels like a more flowing version of Diablo 2. The visuals look really good. They way they integrated the lore within the game is god damn awesome, I love the way my monk is always talking to my paladin or how I listen to people read out their journals. I've had no connection issues whatsoever. Pretty much anyone claiming lag is full of bs, I'm using an outdated PC and using internet that averages around 10Kb/s and some how I maintain a good connection to their servers (the bar is green most of the time) and there's very rarely any noticeable lag. Even when people join my game there no noticeable hit to my performance. I love the way they have made the transition from single player to multi-player seamless, it's literally 2 clicks and your teaming up with your friends. There's plenty of customisation with the skills system, I mean having a stack of skills plus each of them having a bunch of runes to further customise it plus having a heap of passive skills available. The great thing is though that the skills seem equal from what I've seen. You don't lose any effectiveness from picking a different skill or rune you just play it a bit differently. There's plenty of loot like you would expect from a Diablo game, can't wait to get on the higher difficulties for some of the legendary's. The auction house atm is just full of a few high end items. Pretty much everyone is selling the exact same thing. It should balance out a bit further down the track though. Overall I think Diablo 3 is a great game and definitely a must have for any self respecting PC gamer's collection.

snowplow:
Everything about D3 is garbage, Blizzard is dead to me, I'm ragequitting gaming as a hobby.

it boggles my mind how this rainbow game with blurry crap graphics and a 5 yr happy disney plot can be praised. There's ZERO character customization. Aside from items (AKA SUPERFICIAL CRAP) every barbarian is the same as every other barbarian. Jesus christ so much handholding.

Sorry, but how can you complain about every barbarian being the same as every other barbarian, when it was the exact same thing in Diablo 2 (and Diablo 1, as far as i'm aware). There was never a point in the Diablo games where you could change the appearance of you character in any way without the aid of a mod (or changing your gear). Playing the Witch Doctor, there's plenty of customization available (do I focus on summoning an army of minions, or spamming fire attacks. Do I focus on Intelligence gear (to do more damage) or Vitality/Strength/Dexterity gear (so I don't die as easily)). Beeping and moaning about something that has been (or hasn't been) present in the Diablo series is kinda stupid.

Random thoughts:

1. Losing randomized levels is a real kick in the ass. It's probably my #1 complaint about the game, and it's going to murder the game play value. I remember thinking when I was first playing "Wow, this looks pretty damn good for a procedurally generated game!". Now I have to admit it looks kind of shabby. Not because it's ugly, or anything, just...it doesn't look good enough and doesn't feel handcrafted enough to justify the loss of randomly generated terrain.

2. I haven't had any server issues yet. Just luck of the draw as to when I logged in first and when I've played. There's been a tiny bit of snapping/elastic banding which is irritating, I suppose, but so far it's been fairly uneventful on the tech side of things. No bugs yet, either, that I've seen, but I'm early on.

3. Normal is WAY too fucking easy. This is not good difficulty tuning.

4. The classes are fun and have a good feeling of pop and power. The skills system doesn't have the sprawl of Diablo 2, and they really did a shit job advertising the existence of Elective Mode.

5. There are some curious/disappointing animation issues with Monks that speak to a lack of polish, which is inexcusable in a game with this kind of development time.

6. The little lore snippets are nice fluff. The voice acting is acceptable. If people think this voice acting is particularly bad I shudder to think how they're going to react to Guild Wars 2.

7. The game feels shallow, but Diablo has always been shallow. I imagine people will react very similarly to this as they did to Starcraft 2. It's a buffed up version of a game over a decade old. The intervening decade has seen MMOs take Diablo's loot/level paradigm and expand on it many times over. This distilled experience is feeling a little...quaint...by comparison.

I'm really enjoying the conversations and banter with my companions.

I like the rune and skill system. I was having trouble with a particular mini-boss and was able to change up my build to take it down.

The combat feels a bit slow and clunky but that might be because the game I last played was Tera.

Why are people complaining about the skill system?
I think I infinitely better than D2's system, where you dumped points into crappy skills so you could focus on the two skills you were planning on using.
I agree that maybe allocating all your stat points for you is taking things a bit too far though.

On levels being shorter, well, I honestly don't know anyone who had fun wandering for 30 minutes in the deserts of act 2 in D2, only to fall on dead ends upon dead ends. Nor have I ever heard anyone say:" Oh boy, Act 3 is simply marvelous, I can't wait to muck around in the jungle!"
In my opinion, the levels are shorter, but more varied and actually enjoyable.

Lastly, graphics are too WoW-like? I don't even know where to begin with this one... Is it the colors? Because last I checked, the Necromancer in D2 wore a bright red shirt under his armor, and every magic spell popped out like Shaq at a midget convention.
IS it the character design? Not really, they all look rather sane, more so than the Amazon flaunting armor that accentuated her breasts as much as possible.

Is it a perfect game? No. Is it a disgrace to the Diablo franchise like some people are saying? Hell no. Stop it with the nostalgia, Diablo 2 wasn't as perfect, nor customizable as you are making it to be.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked