Things you never noticed in Pokemon.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

prophecy2514:
I will never for the life of me understand why fighting type moves are super effective against steel types. Or why ice type moves arent super effective against water types.

True, I will never understand the first one, but have you ever tried to freeze a large body of water? Takes a while, or if it's big enough, impossible.

Marter:
I always thought Rock type attacks were Not Very Effective against Rock type Pokemon.

It's neutral, though, and took me years to learn that.

It still blows my mind that rock type attacks aren't super-effective against electric type pokemon. Also still getting over the fact that electric type attacks aren't super effective against ice types(though at least this one makes sense)

On a tangentially related note, has anyone else noticed that there is no game where you can catch houndoor early? This pisses me off so bad, I want a god damn houndoor as one of my six pokemon for the game, but the only way to do that is through trade, and then it has the stupid won't listen to you thing. Anyone know if you can trade eggs?

spartan231490:

Marter:
I always thought Rock type attacks were Not Very Effective against Rock type Pokemon.

It's neutral, though, and took me years to learn that.

It still blows my mind that rock type attacks aren't super-effective against electric type pokemon. Also still getting over the fact that electric type attacks aren't super effective against ice types(though at least this one makes sense)

On a tangentially related note, has anyone else noticed that there is no game where you can catch houndoor early? This pisses me off so bad, I want a god damn houndoor as one of my six pokemon for the game, but the only way to do that is through trade, and then it has the stupid won't listen to you thing. Anyone know if you can trade eggs?

You can get Houndour in Platinum fairly early, on Route 214 at around Level 23.

That, if Arceus is basically God, then Gitantina - the opposite of Arceus - must, bascically, be the personification of staleness and persistance. And, well Satan. Because Arceus could take on all types, representing change, and benevolence.

This is how cults are started, people.

Also, Pokemon is evil. It promotes young, 10-15 year old kids to leave home, forget their mother, school, family and future, and capture animals in tennis-balls - only to become the world-champion, which has no fucking privelages - just the ability to say, "YO, BITCH - I'M THE BEST AT FUCKING WASTING MY LIFE - CHECK THIS SHIT OUT! YOU DO THE SAME!" So, not only does it encourage kids to be a posing bastard, it also encourages kids to tell other kids to do the same.

Oh, the humanity! /sarcasm. But, honestly, that is pretty fucked up.

The entire economy of the region seems to built around selling potions and pokeballs to 12 year olds.

Parasect is not in fact, the crab underneath the mushroom.

It is the mushroom mind-controlling the crab.

Marter:

Marik2:
Really?

I always thought that when you use the same element on a pokemon, that it's always going to bw not very effective

Normal on Normal. Neutral.
Fighting on Fighting. Neutral.
Ghost on Ghost. Super Effective.
Ground on Ground. Neutral.
Flying on Flying. Neutral.
Bug on Bug. Neutral.
Dragon on Dragon. Super Effective.

The rest, I believe, are Not Very Effective.

You forgot the one that started the comment, rock v rock.

Saromnour:
The breeding center in Silver and Gold is on Route 34. I laughed quite a bit when I realized that.

Lol. Never noticed that, but it's so beautiful.

Robert Ewing:
What do they eat if they don't kill pokémon? And why has nobody documented the medical marvel of hundreds of twin sisters in the pokémon universe? Why does Ash say he wants to catch em' all, but the never catches any?

Well, Farfetch's entry says that it's "A very good stew, and are thus endangered". Well, they're shit outside and in battle, and are so atrociously pointless as their stick only works on them, a nice stew is all they're good for, I suppose.

Somebody explain to me what is going on in this picture.

I don't understand.

Sean Hollyman:

I don't understand.

Judging by the bust sizes...

Brock beats up some Machamps for snu snu?

Sean Hollyman:

I don't understand.

Near as I can tell with my limited knowledge of Japanese... Brock's complaining that the Machokes and Machamps are too weak, and he wants some stronger guys. And he seems to be unhappy at getting two overly-endowed women...

TheRightToArmBears:
I only realised how the town naming systems work recently... In R/B/W it's colours (except for pallet town, which I guess is related), in G/S/C it's trees... I haven't played other generations except remakes though, so I don't know about the rest.

Pallet refers to a painter's pallet, that thing you put dabs of paint on and mix around and stuff.

R/S/E they are somewhat related to trees again, but it's that the names have words like 'Log' or 'Leaf' in them.

From there on out they're just made up I think, though memory doesn't serve well in that area atm.

You have no father, and your best friend is an orphan. Children are going to a journey around the world. Your mother accepts you as the man on the house, making your own decisions. Old man warns you of dangers around the corner. Most people you meet are children and/ or gym leaders. Most adult men are either very old, or have a job related to the military or organized crime. Hospitals and gyms are everywhere, but no forms of entertainment such as movie theaters.
LT. Surge:
"Hey kid! What do you think your doing here? You wont live long in combat! That's for sure! I tell you what kid, electric Pokémon saved me during the war!"

You now realize that there was a war in Kanto. Your father died, and your rival lost his parents. You are amongst the first generation of people to live in peace at post-war time.

Also, mew and ditto share the same normal and shiny colours, the only ones who know transform, both can learn every move, both weigh the same (8.8 pounds), and have the same performance stats. Mew used to be common, and the ancestor of all pokémon. Ditto is common where it is found, and arguably has the DNA of every pokémon in order to use transform.

More conspiracy theories than anything, but still.

The Pokemon world has no organised government. It is basically an entire world in a state of anarchy, where small children imprison powerful animals in small balls, then use them to fight other people's powerful animals imprisoned in small balls, before the winner steals the loser's money.

I mean, seriously, how does that place even work?

Also, in Gen I, you kill Gary's Raticate on the S.S. Anne. He has it on the ship, and you beat him. Then, in Lavender town, he no longer has a Raticate on his team and he asks you if you know what it feels like to have one of your pokemon die. So yeah. You kill one of an orphan's only friends. Good going, dick.

EHKOS:

prophecy2514:
I will never for the life of me understand why fighting type moves are super effective against steel types. Or why ice type moves arent super effective against water types.

True, I will never understand the first one, but have you ever tried to freeze a large body of water? Takes a while, or if it's big enough, impossible.

Using this sort of logic though why are water types and grass types effective against rock types? Sure water can slowly decay rock, and there are types of plant that can break through rocks with their roots, but this is done over a long space of time as well, similar to the body of water example you gave.

Water types should be at least more susceptible to being frozen. just my opinion though.

TheKasp:

CrazyCapnMorgan:

Golurk is a Ghost-type pokemon. Guess what most ghosts can do?

Using the base of the legs and hands as engines to fly?

Also, Golurk is a 300kg heavy Ghost/Ground Poke that has in build engines to learn fly.

Then it's official! Golurk is now...

*puts on sunglasses*

...the ghost with the most!

YEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Everyone in the world tries to mug you - you don't get to choose not to fight and if you lose, they take your money. Its ok though - it always results in you mugging them... the world is so cruel...

There are loads of stuff I never noticed until my friends told me and I only played the first two gens. Some stuff I noticed later when my English has gotten better so I actual understand what the items in my pockets do.
AND this thread is completely blowing my mind

Ekans is snake backwards. And Arbok is Kobra. Blew my mind at the time.

Richardplex:
You have no father, and your best friend is an orphan. Children are going to a journey around the world. Your mother accepts you as the man on the house, making your own decisions. Old man warns you of dangers around the corner. Most people you meet are children and/ or gym leaders. Most adult men are either very old, or have a job related to the military or organized crime. Hospitals and gyms are everywhere, but no forms of entertainment such as movie theaters.
LT. Surge:
"Hey kid! What do you think your doing here? You wont live long in combat! That's for sure! I tell you what kid, electric Pokémon saved me during the war!"

You now realize that there was a war in Kanto. Your father died, and your rival lost his parents. You are amongst the first generation of people to live in peace at post-war time.

*Slow Clap* Mind = Blown, and having read that, I would really love to see a pokemon game that explored that (if it's even true of course) it would never happen, the games are rated E after all, but one can dream

Reading most of the 'dex entries for the ghost pokemon made me realize that using almost ANY ghost pokemon is taking more than your life in your own hands.

Gastly in silver: Its thin body is made of gas. It can envelop an opponent of any size and cause suffocation.
Haunter in ruby/sapphire: Haunter is a dangerous Pokémon. If one beckons you while floating in darkness, you must never approach it. This Pokémon will try to lick you with its tongue and steal your life away.
Gengar in fire red: It is said to emerge from darkness to steal the lives of those who become lost in mountains
Duskull in ruby: Duskull can pass through any wall no matter how thick it may be. Once this Pokémon chooses a target, it will doggedly pursue the intended victim until the break of dawn.
In sapphire: Duskull wanders lost among the deep darkness of midnight. There is an oft-told admonishment given to misbehaving children that this Pokémon will spirit away bad children who earn scoldings from their mothers.
It's prey? Small children.
Dusclops in ruby: Dusclops's body is completely hollow - there is nothing at all inside. It is said that its body is like a black hole. This Pokémon will absorb anything into its body, but nothing will ever come back out. That's right, a floating BLACK HOLE.
Drifloon in HG/SS: It is whispered that any child who mistakes Drifloon for a balloon and holds on to it could wind up missing.
Giratina in Platinum and B/W:It was banished for its violence. It silently gazed upon the old world from the Distortion World.
Litwick in Black: Litwick shines a light that absorbs the life energy of people and Pokémon, which becomes the fuel that it burns.
Lampent in White: It arrives near the moment of death and steals spirit from the body.
Chandelure in White: Being consumed in Chandelure's flame burns up the spirit, leaving the body behind.
Shedinja in D/P/Pt/B/W: A discarded bug shell that came to life. Peering into the crack on its back is said to steal one's spirit. Where do we see it most often in battle?
Sableye in Ruby: Sableye lead quiet lives deep inside caverns. They are feared, however, because these Pokémon are thought to steal the spirits of people when their eyes burn with a sinister glow in the darkness.
Frillish in white: They paralyze prey with poison, then drag them down to their lairs, five miles below the surface.
Jellicent in White: They propel themselves by expelling absorbed seawater from their bodies. Their favorite food is life energy.

Clearly, employing any of these pokemon is insane.

Does anybody even use Ditto professionally, as a main part of your team?

At all?

Ever?

Is it cursed to forever be the equivalent of a sex-toy for your Pokemon, which is capable of giving birth?

Sudowoodo's pokedex entry: 'Although it always pretends to be a tree, its composition appears to be closer to a rock than a plant.'

Sudowoodo

Psuedo wood

Fake tree

I never realized that the pokémon's wabafet's real body is actually his tail, and the part that you THINK is it's body is actually just an incredibly damage proof decoy.

Out of sheer boredom, I dug out my old Pokemon Red from 2000(?) and forgot that the second battle with Gary started on the way to the Pokemon League. He whipped me pretty badly.... haha, good times. :P

I only recently realized that Water types weren't weak to Ice types. I mean come on, Ice would freeze Water, so why wouldn't Water be weak to it?

Also never noticed that some of the Pokedex entries were just plain creepy, usually for the Ghost and Psychic types.

Someone told me really recently that you can have two pokemon of different species mate. It's either male determines species, and female determines what moves it can learn, or it's the other way around I don't remember. Either way that blew my mind.

him over there:

Sean Hollyman:

him over there:
Take a look at diglett here:

No but really something I did realize about diglett and dugtrio in gen 5 is that it gets the move hone claws. Diglett has claws because it is a mole. I now have a reasonably good idea what it looks like underground.

How is it a tooth? It's pink..

Also, long URL lol

No like, the pink is an open mouth and the reflected white light is a buck tooth.

You sure the pink bit's not his nose?

Kakuna is wearing a tie.

Daystar Clarion:
If I've never noticed them, how would I know about them?

damn >.> and on the first post to ....

Shoggoth2588:
I didn't realize it before but Castform...

...IT HAS FREAKIN' TITS!

Looks like a pair of somethin else to me...

I realized that beldum isnt that stupid. Heyooooh!
But ive realized most of these.
brendans hat
the clefairy gym blah blah
I guess Im just a better trainer then you guys....anyways

-CODE-D was here
Ash is a loser.

The references of Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan... especially since I used to be a huge Jackie Chan fanboy.

Sean Hollyman:
And I thought that white thing on Brendan's head was his hair.

Wait-- it's a hat? I guess that makes more sense than him hiving bright white hair as a kid.

Woodsey:

him over there:

Sean Hollyman:

How is it a tooth? It's pink..

Also, long URL lol

No like, the pink is an open mouth and the reflected white light is a buck tooth.

You sure the pink bit's not his nose?

I think it's supposed to be a joke

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked