Why Do YOU Buy Used?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Muspelheim:
And I agree, it's simply because it's cheaper. Used games and the bargain-bucket is where I make most of my finds.

Bargain... bucket?

Lunncal:
Because they're cheaper... why else? When you've got two ways to purchase exactly the same thing (and this statement only applies when they are exactly the same), and one is cheaper than the other, you'd pretty much have to be an idiot to do it the more expensive way. I'm both amazed and appalled at the success companies have had convincing us that buying used is somehow evil.

I have only one disclaimer I feel should be added to this - when the price is literally merely shaved rather than cut, like it's $5 off or something ridiculously small. In that situation, I feel it's wrong to leap at the "saving" rather than supporting the publisher and developer. It's really on stores to make sure it doesn't happen - and GameStop often puts used and new on the same shelf, right next to each other, because they know people who don't know better will take the minimal saving and thus they'll pocket all the cash for themselves - but when you have the knowledge, it seems trivial to leap at a relatively low discount at the cost of shafting the people who actually made the game.

Andy of Comix Inc:

Muspelheim:
And I agree, it's simply because it's cheaper. Used games and the bargain-bucket is where I make most of my finds.

Bargain... bucket?

It's a mystical place that was everywhere back in the 90's and early 2000's, but in modern times only comes into existence when a system is being phased out. I got a brand new DS copy of Civ Rev for $4 in one of those a week ago.

It does not cost as much that way (although I am probably the 50th person to say that).

Owyn_Merrilin:

Andy of Comix Inc:

Muspelheim:

Bargain... bucket?

It's a mystical place that was everywhere back in the 90's and early 2000's, but in modern times only comes into existence when a system is being phased out. I got a brand new DS copy of Civ Rev for $4 in one of those a week ago.

Oh no, I know what, say, a bargain bin is, or a bargain shelf. But a bucket? A BUCKET??! ...y'see you say "bargain bucket" and I picture this:

If I think it will be meh, I'll buy it used, if I think it will be crap I'll skip it altogether, if I think it will be good I'll wait for some reviews and feedback.

majora13:
If I like it, I'll buy the next one the developer puts out new.

This is why new IP's are so unheard of, this is why we get so many frickin' sequels.

CardinalPiggles:
If I think it will be meh, I'll buy it used, if I think it will be crap I'll skip it altogether, if I think it will be good I'll wait for some reviews and feedback.

majora13:

This is why new IP's are so unheard of, this is why we get so many frickin' sequels.

Hey, people wouldn't be so unwilling to take a chance on a new title if publishers didn't charge so much for them. It's a vicious cycle, entirely caused by publishers who would rather whine about the current state of the market (you know, competition from pirates and used games -- from an economic standpoint both are a clear signal that consumers consider the price of a new game to be too high, regardless of what the legality may be) than adapt to it.

I don't. I have a bad obsession with having to buy brand new games etc, I can't stand buying preowned books even. I'm a bit of a neat freak in that aspect. Of course, buying used is completely rational, being cheaper.

Its cheaper. Simple as that.

I tend to not play a single game for more than 65 hours, so for me 60 dollars is too much.

Every now and then if there is a game that I absolutely must have I'll buy it on day 1. I also sometimes buy games at full price if they might be ones that are hard to find later. I try to avoid this however lately as I am pretty low on cash these days.

I was browsing Gamestop yesterday and noticed so many games that I dropped 60 bucks for were less than 20 bucks. I could enjoy the game now just as much as I could of on release for a third of the price. For example I bought Lost Odyssey on the day it came out for 60. I saw it on the shelf yesterday for 11 dollars.

Brotha Desmond:
I tend to not play a single game for more than 65 hours, so for me 60 dollars is too much.

Yeah this is one of my reasons too. For example I really wanted to play Uncharted 3. I was reluctant to buy it at first for this reason. I eventually decided to Redbox it. I finished it in the course of a few sessions of 3 days with a total of 9 hours of play time. I spent 6 bucks instead of 60. If I had bought it I doubt I would of played through it even a second time. Even if I did play thru it multiple times it probably wouldn't of been worth the investment.

I had a great time playing the game, but 60 seemed quite steep for how much play I would get out of it.

A single game is worth no more than 10 to me, so I will only buy from places where I can stay within that price range.

Zhukov:
I make no apologies for saving money. Fuck the developers and publishers.

Describes exactly how I feel.

I buy used games with store credit. I loan out games I've beaten or played exhaustively to friends. I rent stuff if I'm not sure about it or can't afford it.

If that makes me some kind of traitor to my country, I've yet to hear an argument that proves it.

Aside from purchasing titles of past console generations that are no longer in circulation, I tend to buy used for titles that I was only curious about. For example, Marvel vs Capcom 3 would have been a waste for me at $60; but not bad for $15, considering the enjoyment that I've gotten out of it.

Purely out of spite for Activision.

Like others have said, it's simply cheaper, and why should the game's life cycle just completely end after one person is done with it? That's a complete waste.

Also despite Gamestop's many shortcomings, I particularly like how they often recommend a used version of the game I come to the counter with, because it's cheaper. That's the way to treat a customer right.

The primary reason I purchase used games is the cost; however I tend to buy used games that I am interested in playing but am not sure whether I will like it or not (as opposed to games that I am hyped to play).

I do find that the temptation to take advantage of the buy two get one free offer to be beyond my ability to resist--though the lack of funds will often temper that lack of resistance.

I will buy two or three new games a year to support the publishers I like or games that I am super-impressed with: Skyrim, Fallout 3 GOTY (to name a few). I will tend to rent a game first if I think I am inclined to like it and play the hell out of it. Then I'll wait until the game of the year edition comes out and buy it new: Arkham City is the most recent example of this.

I keep the games I buy, so I do help the publishers in that fashion--one less used game to compete with the new game (though that might be cold comfort).

P.S.: This is my 101st post--I love the synergy between that number and my avatar!

there are some games I want but simply will NOT pay full price for so I wait 'til I can get them preowned... Also in my area some smaller releases don't come out new in shops so I have to wait 'til one gets traded...

Cost has a lot to do with it but also knowing what I'm getting. I rarely buy a game that's just come out unless it looks like it'll be worth the price. Getting one used means that there's some word of mouth out about it so I can better pick the ones I'll enjoy and have a better price so there's no buyer's remorse if it sucks. Though if it's only there new and I want it, I have no problem getting one I'm confident in. However, when I buy used normally it's worth it to avoid Amazon and go to Gamestop. For some reason most used software on Amazon works fine but the games will frequently not work that well. It's a bit of a gamble when ordering one used from them. I've never had a problem with a used game from Gamestop so I normally get them there.

Iwata:
Two reasons: because I'm not rich, and because it's the best way to find older games.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Andy of Comix Inc:

I have only one disclaimer I feel should be added to this - when the price is literally merely shaved rather than cut, like it's $5 off or something ridiculously small. In that situation, I feel it's wrong to leap at the "saving" rather than supporting the publisher and developer.

Yep, this is a very important distinction. As I said in my response as well, the price difference has to be a large one. The "it's cheaper" argument generally falls apart in the vast majority of cases for me simply because "cheaper" is $55 instead of $60. Sure that's technically cheaper but if $5 or $10 off a $60 game is that big a deal to you, maybe you shouldn't be buying a game at all.

CardinalPiggles:

majora13:

Not at all. I follow developers, not franchises. If I respect a developer, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

And like I said, if I'm pretty sure I'll like something, I'll take a chance on it. For example, I heard great things about Catherine and loved the demo, so I bought it day one.

More reasonably priced games, like XBLA and PSN titles are less of a risk for both consumer and publisher, which means everyone's more likely to take a chance on something new. This is the cause of stagnation: games are too expensive for everybody.

I can't afford new, simple as that.

Andy of Comix Inc:

In that situation, I feel it's wrong to leap at the "saving" rather than supporting the publisher and developer. It's really on stores to make sure it doesn't happen - and GameStop often puts used and new on the same shelf, right next to each other, because they know people who don't know better will take the minimal saving and thus they'll pocket all the cash for themselves - but when you have the knowledge, it seems trivial to leap at a relatively low discount at the cost of shafting the people who actually made the game.

You'll change your tune really damn fast when that $5 means the difference between being able to buy the game and not being able to buy the game because the money needs to buy food instead.

I know what I'm doing. I'd go after the cheaper one every time. It's the only way I can afford to partake of this hobby at all.

At this point, I buy used games for one of two reasons.
1. It's not available new anymore.
2. I want to play the game, but there's a feature I know about that I don't like, so I want to make sure none of my money goes back to the developer.

For example, Soul Calibur IV. I'm pretty meh about fighting games, but I've like the Soul Calibur games for the more visible differences between fighters and combat styles than are present in other games like Street Fighter or Dead or Alive. The character customization is also something I REALLY wanted to have a go with, and the fact that Soul Calibur III was PS3 only had been a big disappointment.

However, Soul Calibur IV had Yoda, Darth Vader, and Galen Marek as guest characters. Now, I don't care about cross promotion, but the idea of any weapons that weren't magical being able to stand up to a lightsaber pissed me off.

So I didn't buy the game new. I bought it used. I've enjoyed the game, and I've even used the guest characters. And none of my money went to the developers or Lucasarts as a result of that cash-in.

Because I can no longer find the game new, or, I do not wish to support a certain developer but want their game.(Saints Row The Third for example)

Other than that, if a new game comes out and I cannot afford it...well, I'll just wait until I can then buy it new.

SlaveNumber23 I am right there with you.

Because when I buy a used game, I buy it because they don't sell new copies of the game anymore.

When Bill Gates was introducing the xbox for the first time he said that it would bring gaming to the masses(I'm paraphrasing). But anyone who has studied economics knows that the main obstacle to it is price. I get a lot of new games but what I use to get them is trade-in's. (In the US) I get a subscription to Game Informer Magazine. (The Mag is not the best VG mag but I still read it when its slow at work.) When I do that they give me a PowerRewards card. That card gives me 10% extra toward trade-in's. And it gives me 10% off on used games. Then they always have sales. When a big title new game is about to come out they usually offer 30% for trade-ins towards that game. Sometimes VG's are like a heroin addiction. I want to quit but the habit is to damn fun.

Just like many others, for me, it's the price. They work just as well, so why pay more? I mainly only pay full price if I'm getting the game the day it comes out.

Because I got MGS1 for $4? Honestly, you can't find psx games anymore. Although Tomba still eludes me.....

Because it's cheaper & I really haven't seen a lot of shit that's worth a full $60 these days.

I do it to make sure Capcom dosen't see any of my money.

Money, man. That's what it is. I don't have all too much, so I try n' save. If I had the bob, I would try and buy new.

Oh, and the fact that older games can only be bought used.

captcha: moot point. What is?

Because it's certainly impossible for me to find a new copy of a last gen game. Even if I do, it's usually expensive.

I don't buy used unless there is no other version of the game available. There's just something, I don't know, authentic? No that's not it. Well anyway, buying a game new just makes it feel somehow more mine.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked