Comparing Diablo 3 to Torchlight.

Pages PREV 1 2

Odd comparing Torchlight to Diablo 3....
Anyways, curious where people are reporting 20-30 hours of gameplay on the initial run. I mean what constitutes a run through the game? I remember in beta people were farting around checking every nook and cranny like it was a game with hidden collectibles. That consumes massive amounts of time, but instead if you go straight from point A to B that time is vastly shortened. Hell some people have been reporting speed runs of Diablo 3 in 6-7 hours, Total Biscuit talked about it on the TGS podcast.

It took me 25h to complete the Normal difficulty.

Being a huge Diablo lore fan I stood and watched/spoke to every possible NPC to learn more about the story in the game and waited the dialogues out.

Even if you don't plan on playing more than the normal difficulty,the pricetag is fair especially compared to other games.

There's a different story to each character whereas they speak differently or are spoken too in a different manner depending on your class along with their own cinematics.

I'm already lvl 60 on my barbarian and I'm currently trying to solo inferno(killed Skelly King).I might have to go back to Hell and farm more.

Eric the Orange:

Matthew94:

Eric the Orange:

To compare and contrast Diablo 3 to Torchlight.

To what end?

Did you want people to go "huh, ok"?

Well people seem to hold up Torchlight as a paragon of the genre and curse Diablo 3 as being underwhelming to downright awful. Where as I think analytically they are fairly equal.

Didn't realize Torchlight 2 was out for an in-depth analysis that would make this comparison anything other than -to put it kindly- pointless.

But I'm sure you've played through both games to know what you're talking about when you call them fairly equal. I mean this is the internet! People don't talk out of their asses here...

Eric the Orange:

Diablo 3

*Completion Time for the first difficulty:20-30 hours

It's more like 6-20 hours.

Kahunaburger:
Well, if we're talking about click-intensive games where you kill demons and take their stuff...

DoomRL:

Price: $0
Completion Time For the First Difficulty:
Time in Development: Shrouded in the mists of time. Probably 9 years, but continuously playable and awesome for most of that period.
Classes: 3
Attributes: Simple
Amount of Rooms: Infinite
Replay Value: High
Outside of game BS: None
Remastered Doom Music: fuck yeah.

still cant beat the ash sound mod for doom.. groovy :D

Chunga the Great:

Not to mention the fact that if Torchlight 2 manages to deliver on its promise I'll love it even more than the first game.

Have you played the beta? If not you missed out, The fun I've had in the beta is worth a 20 dollar game, so when the real game comes out it's gonna be awesome :D

I don't frankly care how good or bad D3 is. Always-online, real money auction house, locked difficulties and other crap (like being unable to use any name for a character), etc mean it's an immediate fail. I won't even consider the gameplay, the intricacies, the strategies, the evolution over it's predecessor, the story....all irrelevant as it is immediately in the "will never buy" category based on the above.

Eric the Orange:
Just some thoughts going through my head, not meant to be either an attack or a praise of either game. Note some of these are not factual but my opinions (like replay value).

Diablo 3

*Price:60$

*Time in development:6 years

*Classes:5

*Attributes:Simple

*Amount of Rooms:Large

*Replay Value:Medium

*Out side of game BS:A LOT (Always online, Real money AH, ect.)

Torchlight

*Price:20$

*Completion Time for main dungeon:8-10 hours

*Time in Development:About 1 year

*Classes:3

*Amount of Rooms:Small

*Out side of game BS:None

oh its TS one
While you are being analytical...
I found single player boring. Where is the multiplayer comparison?

Both seem to be good time wasters. Although I find that Torchlight, whilst immersing, is a good game to break away from if you have crap to do. I find it cute, because it appeals to that desire to collect things and improve you gear whilst not rendering you obsessed or addicted to improvement in a manner similar to other comparable games.

*sigh*, I was hoping this wouldn't turn into Torchlight 2 is better than Diablo 3, but it seems people see what they want to see. If a mod could lock this thread I would appreciate it.

Eric the Orange:
*sigh*, I was hoping this wouldn't turn into Torchlight 2 is better than Diablo 3, but it seems people see what they want to see. If a mod could lock this thread I would appreciate it.

I'd like to turn it into a DoomRL >>>>>> Torchlight > Diablo 3, myself.

Borderlands a hack and slash, transmuted into the form of an FPS. Swap guns for swords and you have the same tried and true kill/loot mechanic. Borderlands, excepting for poor multiplayer integration (and the PC version being a rather lazy console port), is a fantastic game without any of the nonsense.

GeneralTwinkle:

Chunga the Great:

Not to mention the fact that if Torchlight 2 manages to deliver on its promise I'll love it even more than the first game.

Have you played the beta? If not you missed out, The fun I've had in the beta is worth a 20 dollar game, so when the real game comes out it's gonna be awesome :D

Unfortunately, I missed the beta. From what I've seen, however, the game looks fantastic. Even TotalBiscuit gave it some serious praise.

Eric the Orange:

Matthew94:

Eric the Orange:

To compare and contrast Diablo 3 to Torchlight.

To what end?

Did you want people to go "huh, ok"?

Well people seem to hold up Torchlight as a paragon of the genre and curse Diablo 3 as being underwhelming to downright awful. Where as I think analytically they are fairly equal.

If they're equal, doesn't that mean the one that costs 20 dollars is superior?

Sexy Devil:
D3 doesn't take 20-30 hours to complete does it? There's no way I pissed away that much time on it, pretty sure it's physically impossible.

I had 21 hours in the game by the time I beat the game on normal. That's even just going directly to the quest objective without seriously exploring. I expect another 25 hours AT LEAST before I beat the game on Nightmare. Then there's Hell and Inferno to do. And that's not even counting Co-op with friends. The game is considerably cheap considering how much time is liable to be spent in it.

Honestly, I have plans to pick up D3 and TL2. Both look like exceedingly good games, and I don't see why someone wouldn't get them both (other than monetary restraints, but even then you don't have to get them in the same period of time). They're both excellent games and well worth the money spent on them.

KingsGambit:
I don't frankly care how good or bad D3 is. Always-online, real money auction house, locked difficulties and other crap (like being unable to use any name for a character), etc mean it's an immediate fail. I won't even consider the gameplay, the intricacies, the strategies, the evolution over it's predecessor, the story....all irrelevant as it is immediately in the "will never buy" category based on the above.

Sucks to be you, mate. You're missing a good game by being prejudiced like you are.

Rednog:
Odd comparing Torchlight to Diablo 3....
Anyways, curious where people are reporting 20-30 hours of gameplay on the initial run. I mean what constitutes a run through the game? I remember in beta people were farting around checking every nook and cranny like it was a game with hidden collectibles. That consumes massive amounts of time, but instead if you go straight from point A to B that time is vastly shortened. Hell some people have been reporting speed runs of Diablo 3 in 6-7 hours, Total Biscuit talked about it on the TGS podcast.

That's completely different. Most NORMAL people don't do speed runs of a game until they've played through it. Playing the game like it is can get you a good 20 hours of game time.

Eric the Orange:
Just some thoughts going through my head, not meant to be either an attack or a praise of either game. Note some of these are not factual but my opinions (like replay value).

Diablo 3

*Price:60$

*Time in development:6 years

*Classes:5

*Amount of Rooms:Large

*Out side of game BS:A LOT (Always online, Real money AH, ect.)

Torchlight

*Price:20$

*Completion Time for main dungeon:8-10 hours

*Time in Development:About 1 year

*Classes:3

*Amount of Rooms:Small

*Out side of game BS:None

Torchlight 2 has 4 classes, 1 more expected to be added (Still in Beta) and the map scale has been WAY increased from the first game. I'm in the beta testing, and the game is crazy fun.

KingsGambit:
Borderlands a hack and slash, transmuted into the form of an FPS. Swap guns for swords and you have the same tried and true kill/loot mechanic. Borderlands, excepting for poor multiplayer integration (and the PC version being a rather lazy console port), is a fantastic game without any of the nonsense.

+1

I think that you can make a very good case that Borderlands does the "loot-based ARPG" thing much better than the clicky ones because it replaces grinding for better gear with getting better at shooting dudes in the face.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked