7.5% (14)
7.5% (14)
Denmark
16.7% (31)
16.7% (31)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Let's play Medieval 2: Total War

Pages 1 2 NEXT

...But before we do, we'll need to pick a nation.

Our choices are above. There are other nations than the ones I listed, but... I kind of suck with them.

So, the factions:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

At the time I started, Denmark was winning, so that's what I went with. Maybe I'll do another one after with England.

Personally I vote for Venice, It's position and naval dominance would allow for numerous targets, and can easily develop a very strong economy to support large armies.

I don't know anything about Total War. I voted for the Byzantines because I figured it might be fun to make you play a losing side.

I liked playing Spain. It's nice to be able to invade someone nearby (the Moors) without the Pope bitching about it.

Need a few more votes yet. So far, though, looks like Denmark is winning.

SCOTLAND.

ACCEPT THE CHALLENGE. DESTROY THE ENGLISH, GRIND THEIR BONES TO MAKE YOUR BREAD.

Then stack the papacy with your own cardinals.

Denmark is a fucking fantastic nation in Medieval 2. Not to mention, they have Viking units. How cool is that?!

If you want to be lame and just mass horse archers, the Byzantines have you covered.

England if you want to try a war at home and abroad. Otherwise, I'd choose Milan or Venice as they are both very strong Italian states. Milan has the potential to take over most of everything. On my current file, that's exactly what they're doing.

The right answer is, of course, Scotland. Never you mind that you think they're weak. Challenge is for the strong, survive and smash the English bastards!

...Oh fine. Out of your considerably less awesome options, I voted for the Byzantines. I really, really like the idea of the Danes, mostly because the Scandinavians are freaking sweet, but I rather think the Byzantine option would be something a little different.

denmark if you want a easy and steady start imo, but go for hamburg first (by all means) and go for real history and ocuppy eastonia and those nations

I was boring when I played Medieval 2 and just went with the French (although I had a good time with them when I took over all of America in Empire). For the sake of entertainment, I would go as Denmark though because, come on, VIKINGS!

Byzantines, I really like the fact that there heavy cavalry and infantry contrast with the lighter Muslim power stuff well.

Venice! Seriously, you're in a good position to expand in all directions, you have a well defended main city, and your late period units are absolutely gorgeous. I usually do heavy infantry armies with simple scouting cavalry, so I don't worry too much. Just enough to harass the lancers and let my heavy infantry wipe the floor with the byzantines crappy troops.

Scotland is a very fun faction to play for similar reasons, but they're in the most boring part of the map, with only England and Ireland to contend with, and if the Pope doesn't swing in your favor, you've got a tough slog to get through at the beginning.

Venice. The trick is to get your Cardinal into the position of Pope and then use that influence to call crusades against Milan, HRE, anyone else... My most recent game as Venice, my priests have been Pope 3 or 4 consecutive times and I control half the college. It's pretty awesome. Plus, Pavise Crossbowmen are boss.

ive always gone with venice. their starting position is fantastic (in my opinion, im sure it doesnt work for everyone) giving them access to almost the entire game world easy enough. you can go north and conquer europe, or sail straight south and then east to get a great headstart on the inevitable crusade for jerusalem. their units are almost all super cheap and often superior to other basic units once upgraded. ive always been able to build legions of soldiers in the first 20 or 30 turns. once i even conquered the papacy at turn 20.

Play as Scotland and crush the English scum and free the people, then re-anew the auld alliance and spread to New Camdonia and Nova Scotia.

Come on mate, naphtha. :P

I vote for the Holy Roman Empire. Stretch all the way from Metz to Novgorod! The HRE doesn't excel at any one thing, but they have no weakness, either. If you play your diplomacy right, you can take on anyone and everyone.

Well, it looks like it's up to either Denmark or England. I'll have give the poll a little more time to break the tie before I start the game.

Also, I don't usually bother with getting my own guys into the papacy, opting instead to either just kiss up to him or ignore him when needed. Obviously I try to avoid excommunication, but given the choice between that or taking lucrative land, I tell him to shove it.

That said, I might try a little harder in the college of cardinals for this game, if only to make things a little more interesting.

For the record, I'm planning on recording battles and emmbedding the youtube videos here. I won't do that for every battle (like when I outnumber the guy 10 to 1 or something), just the larger and more interesting ones.

I went HRE. Smack dab in the middle of the world, up against France, Denmark, Venice, Milan, Hungary, and Poland right out of the gate. French cavalry crushing your spearmen and English swordsmen crushing your cavalry, the pope's constantly pissed at you cause you're embroiled in a three front war and don't have any troops to spare for his stupid crusade that's just gonna be overrun by the Mongols anyway.

...fuckin' challenge accepted.

Wow - freaky. I saw this game on my shelf 2 weeks ago and thought "Why the hell not? I haven't played it in YEARS!" I completed it not too long before seeing this thread.

Sorry, wall of text inbound:

I played as England, took the British isles and dominated France. The game ended on turn 212 with 52 territories (45 needed) where me empire stretched from the Strait of Gibraltar to the borders of Russia and deep into the Hungarian heartland; and from Denmark to Sicily, owning everything in between.

Not to mention owning 3 American cities/territories as well. Damn those took a long time to get to, besides the fact that the Aztecs are a nightmare to beat out of a city. Oh, and Jerusalem for victory condition too. The only reason it took 212 turns was because I wanted to get to America. I could have finished the game by turn 190. I also manually played out most battles scenarios for personal tactical advantage and fun.

I voted Byzantine, I might play them myself. they're in an awkward position but politically and diplomatically well-off. For western civilisations the church is nothing but a pain in the arse. I got booted out for annihilating France, then got reconciled. Then the same story for Portugal. Reconciled again for being a kiss-arse. Then I got booted out again for annihilating HRE and Milan in one swooping move. I just ignored the church after that and even became a crusade target from it.

If you can rid yourself of religion early on, then build your populations to live without the church it would be an easier game. I had to put up with constant revolts and a high military requirement in each city because of religious unrest for the remainder of the game (100 turns, a good 50 hours +)

I'm planning on playing Rome or maybe the original Shogun next :D

I would like to see you take up an Italian state, Byzantine or Scotland overall. They would be a fun challenge and play quite different from the starting factions. I'm glad to see this game isn't dead and that I'm not the only one playing it.

Average player/pro tips:
Have 3 assassins for each larger region of land (modern-day country sizes: Spain, France, Germany, etc.). one for sabotage, one for assassinations and a spare balanced in case one of the others gets KO'd. You can wreak a lot of havoc by killing off opposing forces family members and blowing up castle/city balista towers the same turn you plan to invade.

it's also extremely helpful to have a spy in each of the cities neighbouring your faction as early as possible - so when you do come to invade, their subterfuge should have ranked up over time to full-ish and they will almost always oven the gates for you. This is a MUST for castles if you wish to save some military card slots from siege equipment, or just save guys from the slaughter at the walls itself.

But don't worry about either of these until about turn 25 - or where most rebels are dead, Mongol's start invading and your borders are pressed against other factions (early-mid game onwards).

Scotland can be fairly good late game once you have the Noble Pikemen and Heavy Pike Militia.
Pike units are a bitch to learn how to use though, I still can't pull it off most of the time.

Archers are bollocks and the cavalry are also quite crap. A very infantry based army that would require a Total War genius to use correctly.

To answer the poll, France.

France is very exciting to play, the challenge of invading England and standing up to the Longbowmen, the HRE are a worthy enemy. Spain to the south will also test your military units. Just make sure you murder the shit out of Milan quite early because those guys will wreck your shit if you don't keep your thumb on them

Seems Poland won't be the lucky one. Better luck next time, buddy.

"Kurwa."

Personally, I'd suggest Venice. It'd be interesting to see how a small, naval city-state would fare in the merciless winds of history. And honestly, it'd be pretty impressive if you ended up with most of Europe under you. Plus, Italians. What's not to love?

Good luck, by the way, it looks like an interesting Let's Play in the making you've got here!

Alright, looks like England just barely edged out Denmark.

I'll post part one... at some point this evening. Probably. In the meantime, thanks for voting, everyone.

Scratch that, looks like the Danes won. Part one is going to be a little longer coming, I guess.

Saladfork:
Well, it looks like it's up to either Denmark or England. I'll have give the poll a little more time to break the tie before I start the game.

Also, I don't usually bother with getting my own guys into the papacy, opting instead to either just kiss up to him or ignore him when needed. Obviously I try to avoid excommunication, but given the choice between that or taking lucrative land, I tell him to shove it.

That said, I might try a little harder in the college of cardinals for this game, if only to make things a little more interesting.

For the record, I'm planning on recording battles and emmbedding the youtube videos here. I won't do that for every battle (like when I outnumber the guy 10 to 1 or something), just the larger and more interesting ones.

Go for Denmark. England is vanilla as vanilla gets in TW:M2, and are terribly easy besides. The AI is so worthless at launching naval assaults that once you've consolidated the British Isles the game is fundamentally over. Which usually happens swiftly due to Scotland being so weak, as you point out in your original post.

I highly recommend the Stainless Steel mod for Medieval 2. It's leaps and bounds better than vanilla.

Gypsybob:
Scotland can be fairly good late game once you have the Noble Pikemen and Heavy Pike Militia.
Pike units are a bitch to learn how to use though, I still can't pull it off most of the time.

Archers are bollocks and the cavalry are also quite crap. A very infantry based army that would require a Total War genius to use correctly.

To answer the poll, France.

France is very exciting to play, the challenge of invading England and standing up to the Longbowmen, the HRE are a worthy enemy. Spain to the south will also test your military units. Just make sure you murder the shit out of Milan quite early because those guys will wreck your shit if you don't keep your thumb on them

Scotland's armies are slow as brick walls, but they're just as tough. The key is to make them come to you. To this end, you have Scotland's infantry. Highland Nobles aren't the strongest greatsword unit in the game, but you can get a shit ton of them, and they'll flatten enemy infantry on the charge.

Lure the enemy into your pike wall with some sacrificial Highland Rabble, and once they're stick in the pikes, counter charge with the nobles. Utterly destroys other armies.

I would go Denmark--no bias for I completed the Brittania (Norway, but they're the exact same) and Teutons campaigns with them.
As a start, Viking raiders are effective infantry units, easy to mass and are harder to break than conscript militia. As for huscarls, mounted or otherwise, they make cheap knight-replacements that can serve until your empire grows large enough to finally accommodate them. The Dane's range support is basic, though properly shielded against ranged opponents, and field a good range of artillery that can crack a wall at a distance, though their cavalry isn't the strongest. The latter isn't much of a matter to me, as I mainly just ushered four units or so of mounted huscarls in the backs of their lines with my general as the Northmen extracted their toll upon the enemy.
However, despite how good they are, Sword Staff militia aren't good for open fields--they move as slow as molasses, but when they get to the fight--dear god, how light infantry and cavalry cower.

Enjoy sowing fear into the hearts of the foolish kings about you, my lord. For Prince Hamlet, and Denmark!

How can you not list Scotland?
Well then, Vikings it is. I vote for Denmark. Make 'em taste the steel of your axes and smite their heads with your Paladins holy wrath (and maces)

So here's part 1. It's a very small one, mostly because I was already 8 turns into England before I checked back and saw that Denmark had pulled ahead.

...And now I see that England has taken the lead again, but whatever. We're playing the Danes now.

Anyway, here we go. Part 1: The Danes take Hamburg

So, any opinions? Should I favour east or west? Should I try to avoid a fight with the HRE as long as possible, or try to take them out early?

Also, on a side note, what are your favourite medieval-era games?

Scotland the Brave FTW!!! I spammed the Heavy infantry 2 handed claymore units and the quik Highlander lights units and pwned the world, from the british Isles to the Nile (thnx to the popes brutal crusade demand). Of your options, i'd prob go spain, and smash north africa quik. Then with a decent navy the world is your oyster :)

Scotland the Brave FTW!!! I spammed the Heavy infantry 2 handed claymore units and the quik Highlander lights units and pwned the world, from the british Isles to the Nile (thnx to the popes brutal crusade demand). Of your options, i'd prob go spain, and smash north africa quik. Then with a decent navy the world is your oyster :)

I vote that you take Stettin and Thorn next, especially Thorn because it'll cripple Poland and because Thorn's a really good castle. I'd avoid tangling with the HRE until you've built up your army. Have you tried using the Stainless Steel mod?

I suggest striking east. Poland can get pretty nasty if they're left unchallenged, and they have some nice castles along the coast. This will give you a longer border with the HRE on their north, as well as an early warning gauge for when the Mongols arrive.

To your left, let France and England tear each other apart like they always do. With you putting pressure on the HRE, and France growing to their west, the HRE will crumble pretty fast. When it does, swoop south and grab as much territory as you can to get your economy pumping.

I like playing as Sicily. Admittedly, they don't really get the best units of any kind in the game, but the starting position is so fucking good you can get well ahead before anyone can really threaten you. You can sail off and claim most of Africa and the islands in the med, you can easily get involved in Iberia or the Holy Land too, and Rome acts a good shield for invasion, provided you stay on their good side.

BloatedGuppy:

I highly recommend the Stainless Steel mod for Medieval 2. It's leaps and bounds better than vanilla.

Doesn't that need Kingdoms? I never got around to buying that...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked