Biggest Game Disappointments

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I am sure that this has been done MANY different times but since I have not seen one in a while.... What was your biggest gaming disappointment? Could be anything really: Ea being weird with marketing, game being sub par, Valve tricking us into think that their game is going to be announced....BUT ITS NOT, etc.

Don't' worry you don't have to read this part: :D
In the last year or so I would have to saw one of the disappointments that actual got me angry was the game Battlefield 3. "But Eppy, the game was really good" And I respect your opinion other person, but my opinion is that the game over-all was a huge disappointment to me considering I usually play games for the single player experience (I get enough online game playing with using Xbox....)The single player was horrendous is a simple way to put it. "Why play this kind of game single player?" I do not like the multi-player....sue me.

With bugs glitches and to top it off terrible narrative with unlikable character that we are supposed to care for to the constant switches in the flow of the story made it feel like a mess of the game trying to be too much. All they had to do was make the tank driver guy the main character and made the game a war drama type thing. That tank driver guy (I am sooo sorry i can not remember your name) had more characterization in 5-8 seconds than the main character of the story. OK done ranting.... Point remains I could rant about Battlefield 3 for awhile and just the singleplayer

Getting StarCraft 1, er I mean, 2.

;)

To be fair, I was never into the competitive MP for SC1.

At least Red Alert 3 tried to push coop MP and allowed you to SHOOT BEARS OUT OF A CANNON AND PARACHUTE INTO THE ENEMY BASE.

Ultima Online.

Not because I hated it, I loved it.

But because I was a young, idealistic man, and I imagined the MMO would be a fantasy world come to life. Everyone would be played by a human! The baker! The mayor! The cutpurse! And they would all be roleplaying! And be perfectly in character! You'd inhabit this world completely!

Then the reality hit, and it was 5000 guys named Raistlin or Satan or Nutsack, and then ran around bunnyhopping and PK'ing and generally being asshats.

Remarkably, it was still a magnificent, ambitious game, and I've gone on to enjoy many MMOs since, but boy oh boy did it ever fall short of my hopes.

Well, lets just get it out of the way.

The Ending That Shall Not Be Named.

Other than that, I don't think I've ever been heart-breakingly disappointed by a game. There's plenty that have fallen kind of flat. Knights of the Old Republic left me scratching my head wondering what the big deal was. I found Planescape Torment to be about 30% as good as its fans say it is, although I can at least see why it's admired. I was a bit miffed that Dark Souls managed to drive me away with one bad design decision.

Yeah, that's about it. More along the lines of, "Meh, that wasn't as great as I was led to believe". Y'know, rather than, "BETRAYAL!!"

Three games spring to mind for different reasons:

1- Brink. It promised so much, and delivered so little. No campaign to speak of, atrocious character design, and the whole "parkour" thing ended up being just a useless footnote.

2- The Force Unleashed II. I liked the first game a hell of a lot, so I was disapointed to see that the sequel felt more like a DLC than anything else.

3- The mother of all crushing disapointment, Freelancer. I LOVE Starlancer with a passion, it's the best space sim since Wing Commander IV. To see the sequel announced to it was a miracle, so to find out that it takes an elephant-sized dump on its predecessor (the game even starts by saying your actions in the previous game didn't matter at all) was a punch to the face. I dislike some games. but I HATE Freelancer, for the promise of what it might have been.

ThriKreen:

;)

At least Red Alert 3 tried to push coop MP and allowed you to SHOOT BEARS OUT OF A CANNON AND PARACHUTE INTO THE ENEMY BASE.

Oh geez I forgot about Red Alert 3. So in the story if Einstein was the one to go back in time to kill Hitler after world war 2 and made the soviet union a super power....how does killing Einstein in 1918 or so allow the soviet union to get stronger..... It made no sense!

Zhukov:

Good call.

Command & Conquer 4. Oh god...it was such a putrid pile of shit, I can hardly believe it. They literally stripped out every single one of the things that made the previous games great. They left nothing of even half-decent quality in the game. I was expecting something brilliant, which is what C&C3 was, but C&C4 most certainly wasn't!

Elcarsh:
Command & Conquer 4. Oh god...it was such a putrid pile of shit, I can hardly believe it. They literally stripped out every single one of the things that made the previous games great. They left nothing of even half-decent quality in the game. I was expecting something brilliant, which is what C&C3 was, but C&C4 most certainly wasn't!

Oh yeah, I forgot this one... they could've picked another game to start experimenting on other than what was supposed to be the epic conclusion to the story.

Gothic 3 after being super pumped from Gothic 2.

Final Fantasy 13, I watched the trailers so many times, couldn't sleep the night before I got my copy...I felt betrayed.

Soulcaliber V...th fighting was good but...the lack of a good single player mode and the one we got...oh god why...

It's hard for me to be disappointed in any game when they so rarely have any advertising to convince me I want it in the first place, and when they do, I always get exactly what I wanted.

BloatedGuppy:

Then the reality hit, and it was 5000 guys named Raistlin or Satan or Nutsack, and then ran around bunnyhopping and PK'ing and generally being asshats.

This actually ruined MMOs for me. I have yet to find a MMO where I can be such an asshat as in UO, robbing houses, KOS people, getting torn apart by the better players *sigh*, good ol' times.

Easy. and goes without saying. Last ten minutes of Mass Effect 3 rendered the whole bloody series one big, giant, massive, throbbing disappointment.

Griffon_Hawke179:
Easy. and goes without saying. Last ten minutes of Mass Effect 3 rendered the whole bloody series one big, giant, massive, throbbing disappointment.

Ninja'd twice.

Other than that, Metroid Other M (though I still enjoyed the gameplay and SOME of its story elements) was generally a let down as the first 3-D metroid game in the traditional third-person shooter style, and the first non-side scroller, non-fps.

Griffon_Hawke179:

Zhukov:

Yeah, the moment I clicked on this thread I knew that someone would have mentioned this. Oh well, I'm going to going to go with the same one as Griffon and Zhukov.

Dead Island, really nothing like the trailer, generally low quality in game and oh the bugs so many many many bugs. At least the item duping one was useful and then that got fixed. It was still fun in parts just disappointing.

Giest old but oh that was so bad and nothing like it should have been terrible controls and gameplay overall and just generally bland fps most of the time.

Iwata:
Brink. It promised so much, and delivered so little. No campaign to speak of, atrocious character design, and the whole "parkour" thing ended up being just a useless footnote.

I second everything you said there.

I was probably more disappointed, however, by Mercenaries 2. Mercs 1 was just dumb fun of the best kind, and Mercs 2 looked even more promising. Yet they some how managed to ruin that with innumerable bugs, bad design decisions, and way too many quick time events. Such a bummer. At least Just Cause 2 came along eventually and made me forget my pain.

Well Brink I was so disappointed with the way it turned out I didn't buy or play it. I don't need to play it, everyone says it's crap. I might buy it for a squidly(1) I'm going to refer to pounds() as squids and squidlys from now on.

Spore. Just spore...if you saw the GDC 2005 demo, you know exactly what I am talking about.

Master of Orion 3. The two preceding games were amazing examples of 4x strategy games, then the third was such a piece of crap.

The problem with having such a great debut I guess, you can't really get the magic back; especially if you screw with what worked in the first place.

Iwata:
Oh yeah, I forgot this one... they could've picked another game to start experimenting on other than what was supposed to be the epic conclusion to the story.

Good point; they also fucked up their attempt at wrapping up the series. They even advertised it as the final installment that would finish the story and answer all our questions. It answered fuck all, and both the writing and most of the acting performances were atrocious.

Rogue Squadron 3: Rebel Strike.

The first two Rogue Squadron games are excellent flyers & I still enjoy both.

The third one... I don't know what the hell Factor 5 was thinking, taking out half the levels & splice in some INCREDIBLY BAD on-foot shooter setups.

For me, it's the entire game...

Bad company 2. I assumed there would have been a "instant action" Like BF1942, or BF2. Nope. Shitty campaign and worse multi-player. Thankfully, I paid $5.

Mass Effect 2, I was pretty pumped to the point where I beat ME1 with my infiltrator again, only to find out the class I enjoyed so much was pushed so far backwards to the point where it was just plain boring. They took everything I loved out of the game, and left everything I hated in. Regenerative health, included.

E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy. Oh Boy! A good looking Cyberpunk game! That's also on Source! Sign me up for uninteresting hacking minigames, absolute garbage level design, and recycled Half-Life textures and models! I actually want my money back!! Funny thing, I knew a guy who showed me a few tips and tricks to Level design. I saw nothing like what he showed me in E.Y.E.1

All Points Bulletin feels like it's been half-assed to start to finish, with it's players abusing anything that should not be. But I still play it for it's concept, which is just too damn silly.

Actually, not so much anymore... APB is boring as fuck without friends. Trolling man-children get's boring after a while, amirite?

1 I still feel bad about letting him down too.

Bethesda and Bioware's recent attempts at 'rpgs'

Every single Rockstar effort that has come out since San Andreas. Lovingly detailed worlds filled with garbage

Let's see:
The original Assassin's Creed is a game I can't finish due to finding it extremely boring.

True Crime: New York also has that dubious honor.

Megaman Battle Network 4 was a huge step back for the series, for the only 2 new things it introduced it introduced hundreds of problems.

Mario & Luigi Partners in Time is incredibly unbalanced towards enemies, which can easily destroy you in 3 hits while it takes 5 minutes to beat them. (The last boss lasts a complete hour, which is insane for a portable game)

Dragon Age 2 for the reasons critics have already stated hundreds of times.

Other M is the definition of wasted potential.

The Mass Effect 3 I expected after I finished the first game was quite different from what I got in 2012. Though this was because I hyped myself for no reason, still you expect huge improvements between sequels, which the Mass Effect games refused to take.

Dead Island...it was everything ive wanted in a game...but they messed the ENTIRE thing up....the thing that made me trade it in before even bothering to finish it has got to be the fact that it was clearly made to be played by 4 people at all times, so much that they actually kept the other characters you dont play as IN the damn cutscenes! i dont mind games that are possibly better when you play with friends but i dispise when they make u feel like youre playing the game wrong when you arnt!

Mass Effect 3, shudder

Apart from that the fact that Ruby and Sapphire didn't have day and night or days of the week. I was so gutted.

The death of Battlefront 3. I remember looking up info on it every day after that alpha footage got leaked. Unfortunately, Free Radical got canned and the game got shot so far into development hell that after at least a year of anticipation I just gave up hope. It doesn't help that I recently heard that LucasArts may have deliberately went out of their way to make sure this game didn't see the light of day.

EDIT: I was pretty disappointed in BF3 as well. BF1943 (the console only game with only three regular maps and one planes-only map) was my first BF game and I loved it. BF3 and BC2 were absolutely nothing like that game, being far more corridor-ish and losing that incredible sense of freedom and improvisation that made me love 1943 so much.

Persona 4. It's still a good game, but it tried to mess with P3's battle-system, and, I've said this before, P3's battle system was a massive dick to you and the enemy. In P4, though, with the whole Down>Dizzy thing, instead of P3 missing the first-step, enemies get a major advantage.

And 40% of the time, I found myself really underleveled. I spent an entire in-game-week leveling, and I still had bloody trouble. Did really like the story, setting, and, oh god.. the music.. (foaming from mouth with unhinged glee)

Quest For Glory 3

There's me, a little youngster, I just finished Quest for Glory 1&2 on my old family DOS. I get a used copy of 3. Yah I say, only to realise, it's... well, shit. Annoying characters - I didn't like the Tarnans, the Simbani, or the Leopard men - the only characters I liked were the non-factioned characters, and even then, they don't appear to much, and it was way too text/dialouge based. How boring.
Again, not bad, but not good compared to prequels.

ex275w:
Let's see:
The original Assassin's Creed is a game I can't finish due to finding it extremely boring.

True Crime: New York also has that dubious honor.

Megaman Battle Network 4 was a huge step back for the series, for the only 2 new things it introduced it introduced hundreds of problems.

Mario & Luigi Partners in Time is incredibly unbalanced towards enemies, which can easily destroy you in 3 hits while it takes 5 minutes to beat them. (The last boss lasts a complete hour, which is insane for a portable game)

While I most certainly and wholeheartedly agree with the last boss being a marathon, the rest of the enemies don't take THAT long assuming you haven't just been running away from them all. I learned that the hard way. Honestly, Partners in Time may be my favorite Mario and Luigi game.

Mortal Kombat Armageddon.

I was promised a huge crossover of characters from all MK games to date and customization tools that let me create my own character. What I got was all the characters changed so that they all play the same but with different powers (they even changed the design of Motaro so that it would be another bipedal male), the customization tools were pretty precarious (the only non-cosmetic options were to copy the fighting pose from a character and the powers from another), and NO FATALITIES, being substituted by a simple combo system that worked the same for every character.

When I brought home a new game and was unable to play it because it had a "scratch". Seriously not buying games from Big W anymore, I risk it with expensive prices at Game.

Epidemiix:

ThriKreen:

;)

Oh geez I forgot about Red Alert 3. So in the story if Einstein was the one to go back in time to kill Hitler after world war 2 and made the soviet union a super power....how does killing Einstein in 1918 or so allow the soviet union to get stronger..... It made no sense!

Red Alert hasn't made sense since Kane appeared in the 2nd or 3rd Soviet mission briefing in RA1

OT: Mass Effect 2 - I walk into the gamestop intending to grab a copy of Alpha Protocol. I grab a used case and walk up to the counter. Gamestop douche (customer not employee oddly enough) "That game was weak if you really want a good RPG grab MA2". I follow his advice and get talked out of one of the best shooter rpgs in this generation and get stuck with Gears of War you can talk to people but get the same outcomes all the time Edition.

I'd go into detail about C&C4 but its just to easy

Mass Effect 3.

Yes. I'm still bitter because EAWare are in denial about how shit the ending (singular) is.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked