When did Blizzard ever call the always online scheme a DRM?

Can someone provide a like to Blizzard saying they were designing Diablo 3 always-online for the explicit purpose of stopping pirates?

I've seen bunches of game reviewers & customers say it, but I haven't found any representative of Blizzard officially saying that.

Can someone provide a link? I'd like more info.

Captcha: watch me

!!! Getting kinda kinky....

DRM isn't something that publishers and developers announce. It's an umbrella term for any bit of software that serves to quash unauthorized use of the main software. And even if their plan had NOTHING to do with piracy, it would still be DRM, because that's exactly what it is - it's designed to stop unauthorized use of their software, either through piracy, or modifying characters, adding items, etc. it's all unauthorized, and it's all quashed by the system.

To my knowledge (and searching for a bit) Blizzard never did actually announce that the always online setup was to specifically counter piracy. The closest thing that leads to this is this statement made by Alex Mayberry, senior producer on "Diablo 3," discussed the required connection. "You can play by yourself but your character is going to be saved on our servers. You have to authenticate through our servers to be able to play the game. I think it's not just 'Diablo 3' but with our games as a whole we're tying everything into Battle.net these days...We can provide a much a much more stable, connected, safer experience than we could if we let people play off-line."

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2011/08/04/blizzard-vp-surprised-over-fan-reaction-to-diablo-3-online-requirements/

The article goes on about DRM in more detail.

Now take that as you will but in the I.T. field requiring server based authentication is basically to stop unauthorized clients from accessing system resources is required. Implement the same thing to the game industry and you effectively lock out software pirates because without legitimate access privileges to the server (ie: valid cd key)you cannot play the game. So Blizzard may not have directly said this but that's exactly what they intended by making it online only.

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Blizzard haven't called it DRM, but that doesn't mean it isn't.

They did touch on Piracy, but did dismiss it as saying it wasn't the "main concern" of the Always-Online decision.

On the piracy front, Bridenbecker insisted that the game design aspects of the decision were a much larger priority. "You know, piracy is always the one that folks point their fingers at; you know, 'this is the reason that companies are doing that.' And for us, at the end of the day when you look at World of Warcraft, and StarCraft II, and even going back to Diablo II, Diablo, and the original StarCraft, we've always been about online play, so that's the dominant reason for the decision," he said.

From Blizzard VP of online technologies Rob Bridenbecker to GameInformer.

Though the main talking point was the whole not forcing players to make two separate characters.

So technically it's not DRM if you have to be picky about semantics that way.
DRM is a fitting term for it though since it's now pretty much symbolic for a retarded decision that harms the customers.

Best end result from this kind of argument that I can think of is that it isn't DRM but something that behaves exactly like DRM with the same end result. Hence the term DRM is used for simplicity sake.

Captcha: dollar signs

I don't normally post these but I found this one a little amusing.

Thanks for giving me something to look at Porpoise Hork & Qitz.

But, yeah, despite the new info, it seems to me that people are getting angry about something that Blizzard didn't do.

loa:
So technically it's not DRM if you have to be picky about semantics that way.
DRM is a fitting term for it though since it's now pretty much symbolic for a retarded decision that harms the customers.

Umm, actually:

DRM is any technology that inhibits uses of digital content that are not desired or intended by the content provider.

So it is DRM. Unless you come up with a really twisted way to say Blizzard aren't doing that. Piracy is not the target for DRM.

thewaever:
But, yeah, despite the new info, it seems to me that people are getting angry about something that Blizzard didn't do.

I think people are getting angry about it being an always online scheme and calling it DRM because 1. it is 2. it is shorthand.

Dear sock puppet, I have your loose thread and I am pulling it vigorously.

Christ, enough about D3 and DRM already.

Qitz:
They did touch on Piracy, but did dismiss it as saying it wasn't the "main concern" of the Always-Online decision.

Though the main talking point was the whole not forcing players to make two separate characters.

The main point was to always force the real money auction house into your face and give you no other option, there's no other reason they would go out of their way to have to have expensive servers always running while alienating chunks of their player base. It doesn't improve the experience or facilitate anything other than giving you constant access to that auction house.

Artemis923:

But there is so much more of it >_>
This will go on like the Mass Effect 3 ending >_>

Since when does it matter whether or not they called it DRM? First of all, it is, and second of all, the actual excuse they used - the fact that people would not be able to take their offline characters to battle.net - was so fucking pathetic it blows my mind.

The fact that this is their answer to the issue is incredibly telling of how stupid an audience they are going for. They're going for people who are barely capable of reading, because a warning saying "You can't take offline characters to Battle.net" was all that was ever necessary.

"barely able to read"?

Wait a second.

Everything I've seen from Blizzard is all about the game's functionality.

Meanwhile, I'm supposed to believe some random guy knows Blizzard's Great Diablo Conspiracy just because that random guy is pissed off about something that never happened.

Yeah, k. I'm done with you guys.

captcha: send packing

I sure did ;P

"Hey guys, I have a question. What? That answer sucks. Screw you guys, I'm going home!"

There's a little thing called PR that Blizz is better-than-average at. You're never going to get them to say it's DRM. They are at least smart enough to not make that mistake.

thewaever:
"barely able to read"?

Wait a second.

Meanwhile, I'm supposed to believe some random guy knows Blizzard's Great Diablo Conspiracy just because that random guy is pissed off about something that never happened.

I sure did ;P

How is it a conspiracy? Even If Blizz didn't label it as such does not make it not DRM. To make a stupid thread stupider: If I hit you in the face with a mattock, but said I had actually kissed you, which would you believe? What I said? Or what I'd actually done?

Actually that is a terrible example, if I hit you in a face with a mattock, you'd probably be pretty injured. Ho Hum.

The easiest way to piss people off is to tell them you're going to use DRM because of pirates, so Blizzard have gotten around it by trying to dress it up (and a lot of people have fallen for it) and being very careful to avoid blaming piracy.

Just because they haven't said it doesn't mean that's not what it is. If it wasn't about piracy they'd have just made a single-player mode completely divorced from the online side of things, as well as the one where you can transfer the character into multiplayer at any time. But it is about piracy, so they didn't do that.

Besides, DRM is about limiting what you can do with the content, it's just that piracy is the largest reason for using it. So yes, it's DRM, yes, it's at least in-part for piracy, no, there's no great debate about that.

That's what I've been wondering. When did Blizzard ever say this always online thing was intended to fight piracy or act as DRM? I always thought it was intended to support their new auction house thing.

thewaever:
Thanks for giving me something to look at Porpoise Hork & Qitz.

Umm Yeah they did do it. They had a game that REQUIRES you to be online. Making it so that you had to wait in a server que for a single player game. They could have made an online mode and offline mode with separate characters for both modes. (like they did in Diablo 2)

If Blizzard wasn't concerned with pirates, they would have given players an off-line single player option.

Who cares what they call it? It still sucks and I'm still not going to buy the damn thing.

Artemis923:

The thing is, what happens with Diablo 3 in relation to its DRM could end up determining what happens regarding video game DRM for years to come, and because of this, it is very important that we do not stop loudly complaining about it.

If Diablo 3 is successful and has little or no outcry from the gaming community about its DRM, publishers would be much more likely to add a similar form of DRM in future games, because hey, if Blizzard can do it, why can't we? And if you thought Diablo 3's launch was bad, think of how bad it would be for a company that doesn't have Blizzard's near infinite supply of money.

Now, if there is a strong enough backlash of this DRM from the gaming community, publishers might realize that this type of DRM is a very bad idea, and they will be far less likely to implement a similar system in their games.

The bottom line is, Blizzard is an industry giant, and is very important in setting industry trends. The thing is, it is very important that we, as the gaming community, make sure that the trends that are best for us are set.

On-Topic: It doesn't really matter if Diablo 3's system is DRM or not. The thing that matters is that very large amounts of people are unable to play a single player game because of Blizzard's idiotic decisions regarding online requirements.

Daystar Clarion:

Then it's made of wood, and therefore, a witch!

Always online is a DRM no matter what way you swing it.

I doubt Hitler used the term 'genocide' to describe his 'final solution' either.

Not that I'm comparing Blizzard to Hitler or anything...

I feel like it should be made clear that DRM stands for "digital rights management". Would you call the Diablo 3 scheme anything else?

Just because they don't say it's DRM, doesn't make it not DRM.

/thread.

Just because they don't say it's DRM, doesn't make it not DRM.

Argument ad ignorance. I've got a giant beach front invisible spaghetti monster to sell you.

I've been watching Blizzard for years, almost a decade actually. They have taken enough of my money that I want to make DAMNED sure that they are being on the level.

Guess what? I've never, ever seen anything that leads me to believe they are doing anything other than exactly what they say they are doing.

I don't know about you, but I have never had a queue to get into D3. I've never even lost my connection. And, guess what? I got my copy for free. Blizzard did good by me.

Meanwhile, you DRM-types fit the rabid internet troll profile pretty perfectly.

So that's where I stand: I can either go with what my trusted, 8-year service provider is telling me, or listen to the rabid internet trolls.

I doubt Hitler used the term 'genocide' to describe his 'final solution' either.

Ah, there we go. It looks like this thread is closed.

His answer is in the definition of the term DRM. Google it kid. The fact that Blizz has not openly stated in a factual sense that the game has DRM requirements, in no way shape or form, does not mean that these requirements don't exist. Because they do. Try playing D3 with no internet. What you can't? Why not?

Ooo hai that's DRM a knocking...

thewaever:

Ah, there we go. It looks like this thread is closed.

This is really becoming a popular analogy, isn't it? I'm not even exaggerating when I say this is the third or fourth DRM = Holocaust reference so far, and the game's only been out a week. It's getting so that I can barely keep up with making fun of them all.

Guys, find a new analogy. For the sake of Godwin's Law, if nothing else. How about Pol Pot? Or Stalin! Ooh, there's one. The death of a hundred million Russian citizens should make a fine analogue for some fussy DRM and not being able to play your ARPG from midnight until 3:00 PM on launch day. Why, they're practically the same thing!

Just because it isn't called DRM doesn't mean it isn't. It works like DRM... so it more or less is. Call it whatever you want, it doesn't matter in the end, it still sucks.

Artemis923:

It will only be enough when idiots stop putting it in games.

Blizz never called it drm since they knew as soon as they did it would really hurt sales, it seems that even though its obviously drm, the fact they never labeled it as such didn't hurt sales too badly and you will even find morons defending it.

thewaever:
"barely able to read"?

Wait a second.

I sure did ;P

I wouldn't say you sent anyone packing, more that you fundamentally misunderstood what DRM is.

As has been said several times above, digital rights management doesn't excluseively relate to piracy or systems that are universally hated and flawed. If you lock out offline play and cheating (or modding/whatever) of a videogame with a digital lock (such as only online play) then it is a form of digital rights management. Punkbuster is a type of DRM as much as steam or secuROM is.

Blizzard have said that it's to stop people cheating to aquire items and trading them online (which would ruin the online trading economy and fuck up their store). That's probably truely their motivation, I don't see why they'd lie about that, having people flood the market with high level items would ruin the game for heaps of players.

It's still a shitty DRM system tha hurts the consumer though, and the choice to not allow offline play was a bad decision. It's hardly surprising that there are people who bought the game who are disgruntled with it, good intentions don't make it any less inconveinient.

Daystar Clarion:

Blizzard haven't called it DRM, but that doesn't mean it isn't.

Could it not be a malformed swan with confidence issues?

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked