Do reviews affect your opinions?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Recently I've noticed something about the way I think about games. Ever since I started watching Zero Punctuation I've begun picking holes in games I would have previously have liked without question and I think the this new found criticism is something I may have picked up from Yahtzee.

That's not to say I agree with everything he says but I find I agree with more of his points now than I would have before I started watching his videos. Have any of the rest of you who watch ZP or those of you who watch reviews regularly found something similar with yourselves?

They do. I need a filter of some kind, as there are lots of games and I can't try them all. I've followed a handful of reviewers for a while and have built a rapport of sort. And it's pretty damn successful. There aren't many games I've played over the last 3-4 years that I didn't like. And most of the ones I didn't like were cheap games that I risked despite knowing there was a good chance I wouldn't enjoy them.

The ones I follow mainly:
-Most of the ones here, aside from Susan. That's not hate on her. I like her, we just have different tastes. A few of the newer reviewers I don't quite have a feel for yet too, so I can't say I jive with them well either (yet).

-A few Destructoid reviewers, especially Conrad Zimmerman. John Holmes, Dale North, and Chad Concelmo are all helpful. I love the Jimquisition and Jim's articles, but I don't really tend to agree or disagree with his reviews very much.

-Jeff Gerstmann of Giant Bomb. I probably wouldn't have known about him if not for that whole fiasco. He's a bit mo

I do, not all the time but any game I am on the board about, I check a review or two, compare them and see If it is something I want to get into.

Also as we get older, we get more opinionated and start looking for flaws, its a good thing. Mentioning them may have them fixed in a sequel or patch. I could go on forever on the problems I have with Fallout: New Vegas, Skyrim, Persona 4 etc, but hey, I fucking love those games to death.

Nope.

I rarely pay attention to anything reviewers say and only read/watch ones that make me giggle.

I watch/read them for the humour more than the review.

Plus most of the time I don't agree with them at all.

PCGamer did a review on DA2 giving it 94% .... I barely gave it 14%.

As has been said before, reviews are only a persons opinion and no one else's opinion matters to me but my own. What some people like I do not and what some people hate I love.

I prefer to watch gameplay clips and go from there.

The only downside being if i'm unsure about a game I either don't buy it at all or wait until the price drops reallllllllly low. And I never pre-order.

Generally I dont read reviews at all. The reason being two fold. First because of scores. I do not believe any complex opinion can be represeted numerically without an extremely complex mathmatical formula and no reviewer on this earth uses that (that I know of). Second, because the majority of reviewers dont know what they're talking about. I recall the review that made me realize this was one done by a freelance reviwer (whos name escapes me) who did a review for alpha protocol. During the video it clearly showed that he was out of range when using a pistol (which makes your accuracy really bad) and then he blasted the game for being able to miss head shots when the reticle is right over the head. I sat there thinking "Well if you werent across the map trying to shoot them with a pistol you wouldnt be having that problem. Maybe you should learn the mechanics of a game before reviewing it"

Assuming I cant play a game that a friend has bought my filter is lets plays. I go on youtube, I watch a couple episodes of someone playing the game and listen to their commentary and usually I can decide if a game is for me or not. Its worked pretty well so far

not really..since most of the time they are terribly inflated

unless its low then I'll stay away

the crazy rantings on the forums somtimes sway my opinion

Not anymore, given how review sites are paid for by ads from game companies -_-

Defiantly not any of the mainstream 'professional' reviewers. I'll only pay attention to someone that I know already has similar tastes in games to my own.

Depends how badly I want the game. Say the next Fallout is being reviewed. I won't care what they give it - I will still buy it. I'll read the review to see what it has, but I won't care.

If I don't really know if I want a game or not, I read the reviews from multiple sites to make my opinion. Simply getting the opinion of one reviewer isn't enough for me to risk the 60 dollar investment.

WhyBotherToTry:
snip

Course not, im no zombie :P

I'll look at 3-4 reviews usually unless i know the game is a dead cert i'll like. Mostly ones with video reviews so i can see some gameplay. I'll then way up the pro's/ con's the reviews bring up and decide if i can put up with the flaws/ i'll get my monies worth.

Reviewers don't know what i like, i can't let them decide for me. I'd've missed out on hundreds of games if i did. Especially with their broken review system where anything below a 7 is bad.

TLDR: I used them to inform, rather than decide for me :P

When it comes to movie reviews I tend to respect the IMDb user rating -- users are usually sincere if they like a movie or not and professional movie reviewers are stupid and egocentrical trying too often to raise a point with their texts. So, if it's over 70 in IMDb, the movie is usually good enough for me (unless it's a genre I don't like).

Can't do the same with games though. User reviews are, too frequently, contaminated by fanboyism and nerdrage by the latest scandal (you can't take a sincere rating from any EA, Activision or Capcom game, for example).

Also three great games this year (Binary Domain, Warlock and Silent Hill Downpour) got weak Metacritic scores.
Profissional game reviews are more about popularity and advertising budged than actual quality nowadays. You can guess the rating of a game long before it is actually released... I mean, wanna bet Halo 4 will get a review score of 90+?

I pay attention to reviews and they have a influence on me because i wanna know if this game worth my 60 bucks.

I can tell if I will like a game before I play it or not. For the ones I am unsure of I go to youtube and see what some of my favorite people say about them.

I think it is best to hear opinions from people you respect and have a lot in common with, unless a reviewer tells me a game is very buggy, most of what a common reviewer has to say is just stupid opinionated bullshit.

Yes a review needs to be opinionated, but I am not going to a superficial website that gives games a rating out of 10, because lets be honest that is fucked up. I don't care about a general score that someone gathered from the reviews of ten other websites.

No, I am going to listen to a regular person on youtube who's job doesn't involve actually reviewing games and get there opinion. Some internet game reviewers are good i'll admit, but it's usually the ones from Indie sites. Not big names like Gamespot or IGN.

I used to really respect Gamespots team, but after the Jeff Gerstmann incident, I lost most respect I had for the videogame reviewing scene.

Don't even get me started on film reviews.

I do but not so much from the score, reviews that give a good/bad break down are very helpful when deciding to get a game I'm on the fence about.

My view? play what you truly think is good. A week ago, I found a review for Iron Sky a few days i was going to see it, and he gave two stars, AKA a 4. I went there, and saw it, and I loved it. It is hilarious to me. So i went with what I thought was good, and I was rewarded with a brilliant experience.

So my advice? you think it's good, go for it.

I watch/read several reviews, but they seldom impact my decision to play the game in question.

However, there are cases in which several reviewers will make a remark on an aspect of the game and it may change my opinion even if I was dead set yes/no beforehand.

Then we come down to it being opinion, there have been games reviewed rather objectively with positive reviews, that I cannot stand, and vice-versa. I'm sure the same is true of everyone, though. 'Tis the nature of opinion.

Not really. It is nice to be exposed to different opinions about a game I've played, but knowing what Yahtzee, Jim Sterling, or anyone else thinks of a game has never stopped me from buying or even discouraged me to do so.

I've written reviews on and off line for a lot of places and what I'm doing is giving my opinion of certain games. Those opinions are filled with my personal biases, which you cannot escape no matter what. This whole objectively list positive and negative argument that exists online is bullshit. Positive and negatives are another way of saying what I like and what I don't like.

Whether you like my opinion or not does not really matter. All I am paid to do is tell you how I feel about a certain item and that is it.

Do reviews affect my opinions? All the time.

As much as I'd like to claim that I can perfectly shape and state my own opinions and be free from outside influences, the simple truth of the matter is that I can't possibly see everything about a certain game, movie, book, song, or other form of entertainment. Different reviewers with different styles and backgrounds offer different viewpoints that I might never have been able to discover on my own.

Case in point, just take a look at the Star Wars reviews done by Mr. Plinkett over on RedLetterMedia. His careful analysis of the prequel movies drastically changed the way I looked at them and gave me a greater respect for the original trilogy and what it accomplished.

To a small degree, sure. If a review point out an issue that I didn't pay attention to then that changes my mind about the game. Sometimes someone reviews a game and complains about features that don't bother me or that I find necessary, but sometimes reviews might change my mind a little.

I don't think it ever has. I usually find out information like if there is DRM and other shit they may turn me off it. Then I look at some game play vids to gain interest, or lose.

WhyBotherToTry:
Recently I've noticed something about the way I think about games. Ever since I started watching Zero Punctuation I've begun picking holes in games I would have previously have liked without question and I think the this new found criticism is something I may have picked up from Yahtzee.

That's not to say I agree with everything he says but I find I agree with more of his points now than I would have before I started watching his videos. Have any of the rest of you who watch ZP or those of you who watch reviews regularly found something similar with yourselves?

Yahtzee has a review show now? What happened to Zero Punctuation? I think Yahtzee himself has said on more than one occasion that his shows aren't reviews. I could be wrong. However if they are reviews than we disagree on many levels about many games.

I think his "harshness" on a lot of games is kinda' part of Yahtzee's schtick. I mean how entertaining would it be to watch him go off on a positve note. I'm not real sure he even CAN.

I never take "professional" reveiws seriously. I prefer to watch the amateur ones on You Tube. For one, most of the footage comes from the game and they just seem to "come from the heart" more if that makes sense. They are also longer and have more info without exception.
Many do not have scores and are just "my opinion." I like that. There is a humility there that is nonexistent in professional reviews. My reason for not taking the "pros" seriously comes from the same place as many others. I've been burned before. Also it's kind of obvious that the way reviewers and game journalists are treated (schmoozed, really.) by the industry that their objectivity is at the least compromised and in the worst cases out and out bought. So how do you trust and industry with that record. I don't.

Most importantly if I always listened to reviewers I would have missed a lot of great games that they never even cover. Those unsung gems are often among my favorites.

Also is it really a good thing that games you may have enjoyed before you can't enjoy now?

I read a few reviews first if I'm thinking of getting a new (and still full price) game. The actual number is near useless, as games are reviewed on an absurd and meaningless scale, but I feel that if there are flaws or terrible features or whatnot, then most competent reviewers will point them out. Typically, I go with the median review and see why they rate the game as in the middle.

If the game is cheap or if I've heard a lot of good things by word of mouth, then I'll probably just buy the thing at that point

Move along, double post, nothing to see here

I already have an opinion or don't care about the game, I go to reviewers to see how right I was.

I have some trusted review sources, well, pretty much PC PowerPlay (I used to read Commodore PowerPlay too). They are good informative reviewers. I can generally tell from their reviews if the game will be something I'm interested in or not. The reviews inform and entertain, but they don't influence my opinion, just my purchases. It's hard to tell if reviews have made me more critical of games or not as I've been reading game reviews for over twenty five years. Anyone else remember Zzap!64?

Depends on the review. If they spell out a reason that is something I like or dislike about a game, that can completely change my view of the game and get me interested in it.

Zero Punctuation is what initially brought me here, but lately, I watch maybe half of the reviews. Part of it is the same few gripes repeated ad nauseum. I realize that these are gripes about issues that are prevalent in the many games, but it's almost where I think, "So, which game is Yatzee complaining about A,B,& C in this week?"

But for actual reviews, I tend to hit Metacritic, read the top two reviews from sources I've heard of and the bottom five reviews and figure it out from there. Generally successful for me.

Oh, and I take notes during Extra Credit's "Games You May Have Missed"

I use a variety of review sources. A game's Metacritic score can be a very good gauge of how well-made a game is. Although I may not see eye to eye with critics 100% of the time, the vast majority of highly reviewed games are that way for reason.

People criticize the way in which games are dismissed if they are below a 7, but the system works just fine for me. Experience has taught me that if a game looks good to me and has great reviews, I most likely will enjoy it.

I also use Amazon's customer reviews. People on Amazon can be very informative in determining whether a game would appeal to me or not. Metacritic's user reviews can sometimes be helpful, but the fanboy population on Metacritic is staggering and the reviews tend to be poorly written.

If I need more info, I occasionally read professional reviews from sites like RPGfan and use that info as a tool. Many times I read professional reviews to determine how good the story in a game is, as story is valuable to me in the games I play.

I don't read reviews, so no.

If I'm unsure about a game I'll play the demo or watch some gameplay videos if a demo isn't an option. This usually provides me with all the information I need to know.

Well obviously, I turn to reviews for the crucial information before I buy anything, but I always weed out the BS reviews and anyone that gives scores.

Also gameplay is a huge indicator of what to expect.

Not really no. I may read a review to find out more about a game but that is about it. Reviews don't sway my opinion on a game. The only review I trust is my own.

They've gotta be by really good reviewers, where I know the kind of games they like.

The only one at the moment is angryjoeshow, on youtube. He seems very silly and cheesy, but his stuff is legit, and he has really, really good points.

WhyBotherToTry:
Do reviews affect your opinions?

Well... Yes, they do. It's one of main reasons i visit places like The Escapist. I can't remember playing any single game without sharing overall impression with Escapist reviewers.

GeneralTwinkle:
They've gotta be by really good reviewers, where I know the kind of games they like.

The only one at the moment is angryjoeshow, on youtube. He seems very silly and cheesy, but his stuff is legit, and he has really, really good points.

I like him too, mostly because when he is enthousiastic and/or disappointed about a game, it shows and feels more honest than most reviewers. I don't always agree with him, but I admire his passion for the medium.

I suppose reviews affect my opinion in the sense that I use them as a source of information about a game's features, story, and so on. Whether they are good, bad, flawed, ... something that would appeal to me. For example, a reviewer may slam a feature for poor implementation. If I see multiple reviewers react negatively to that same feature, then that indicates it will likely bother me too. That wouldn't stop me from buying that game, but it could determine how I buy it: new or used.

chimpzy:

GeneralTwinkle:

I like him too, mostly because when he is enthousiastic and/or disappointed about a game, it shows and feels more honest than most reviewers. I don't always agree with him, but I admire his passion for the medium.

I suppose reviews affect my opinion in the sense that I use them as a source of information about a game's features, story, and so on. Whether they are good, bad, flawed, ... something that would appeal to me. For example, a reviewer may slam a feature for poor implementation. If I see multiple reviewers react negatively to that same feature, then that indicates it will likely bother me too. That wouldn't stop me from buying that game, but it could determine how I buy it: new or used.

Yeah, I disagree with him a lot too. That's why it's important to know what kind of things they like, a purely objective review is almost impossible.
But, even when he hates a game I love, he makes such good points that it's hard to argue with them sometimes :P

Captcha "hear hear"

He agrees :D

It only affects my opinion on a game I haven't played. If I'm going to buy/not buy a game, I'm going to base it off more than just reviews of it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked