PC gamers, what do you do when you hit the limits of your system?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Idlemessiah:
Wait for enough new games and stuff to justify a new system. I did want to upgrade when Windows 7 came out but my lappy was only a year old at that point. I'll probably end up waiting for Windows 8. By that time there will be plenty of new shiney games to play.

Don't do it! Windows 8 is a trap! Desktops shouldn't be running tablet a OS! Windows 7 forever!!!
seriously ;)

OT, I'm caught in that fun little point where upgrading my PC would mean replacing motherboard, RAM and CPU, so naturally that's not something to rush into. It can run BF3 on mostly high settings and everything bar the graphics card is 4 or 5 years old, so it's not exactly a pressing issue - the trick is to buy right in the first place so you don't have to spend any more for as long as possible ;)

That said, I'm currently away for a year or two running on my laptop, which barely scrapes SC2's minimum settings and will melt if gaming for too long in a warm room. It has a dedicated graphics card, which is lovely, but christ do I miss my desktop... if only laptops were properly upgradeable, lol.

Make a mental list of things needing to be upgraded/replaced and turn the settings down in the meantime.

usually a computer will last me quite a while, but when even playing new games won't work at the lowest graphic setting, I'll just get an entirely new PC.

This thread times a million!

You have a heating issue, that's why your graphic card is acting up. Try replacing the thermal paste or just sticking your desktop in the fridge or something.

jesus...

ResonanceSD:
Triple monitors running Anno 2070 at 1080p on ultra without a decently aggressive GPU fan profile? Yeah, top temps don't take that long to get to. I might remove some of the OC though, there's no dust in the system.

Wait, you built a gaming system without an extremely aggressive GPU cooling system? For shame!

OT: me, I've been riding out a dated system for a few years now. Built the thing in 2007 and I've been looking for an alternative to installing Windows Vista or 7 on a new gaming machine when I build one.
Thing is, I really want to put a huge amount of RAM in my new system, but I absolutely cannot stand Microsoft's new resource-hogging OSes... so my old system chugs along at medium settings running XP for gaming.

Maybe after steam goes Linux native I won't have this problem anymore.

ResonanceSD:
Triple monitors running Anno 2070 at 1080p on ultra without a decently aggressive GPU fan profile? Yeah, top temps don't take that long to get to. I might remove some of the OC though, there's no dust in the system.

If you're going to overclock anything at all, you really need proper cooling. My video card has a pretty hefty cooler compared to the heat it generates, but more importantly my case has probably excessive airflow. With a moderate overclock, I was completely unable to get it over about 55 degrees, even using OCCT and whatever else I threw at it. My CPU is another story though, because it still has the crappy stock cooler until I get a new CPU/motherboard this summer. OCCT would set it on fire in about three and a half minutes if I let it. Heh.

As far as what I do if I can't max out a game with what I currently have, unless it's upgrade time I just deal with it. If it's not a fast-paced action game and I don't need 60fps, sometimes I live with it looking pretty but running below that, as long as it stays above 30. If it's something I need to run at full speed all the time, I fiddle with the settings to find the fewest things I can get away with disabling or turning down and still get 60fps out of it. I'm not buying new hardware right away just for one or two games. I get a pretty good CPU/motherboard and expect to get at least four years of use out of them, unless I have a really good excuse to replace them sooner for work or something, and I get a mid-range video card and try to make it last at least a couple years or more. It's only worth it to me if there's a fairly significant improvement at a reasonable price. Otherwise there are a lot of other things I could be be spending the money on, including more games.

Matthew94:

Kevlar Eater:

ResonanceSD:
Then why bother getting a graphics card in the first place? go with the new integrated gems from intel.

Integrated graphics are pretty much crap, and are better off in laptops. A cheap graphics card is preferable for something so simple as watching videos.

*topic* Just recently made a major upgrade to my CPU, motherboard and RAM, so I'm good. If my GPU can't handle max settings, I'm gonna turn them down. After that, I'll consider getting a new GPU (which I will do early next year).

Have you seen the HD 3000 and HD 4000 chips?

They are becoming pretty good and eliminate the need for media GPUs at this point.

Nope, but I own one (i5 3570k). I don't have, want or need to worry about integrated graphics because I'm putting to use a GPU. I will admit I took a look at youtube videos of people playing stuff like BF3 and it (HD 4000) run with console-esque performance. This may be a decent moneysaver for those that don't need, want or can't afford a beefy GPU and still be able to do some light gaming, but integrated graphics won't fly with PC gaming enthusiasts, video encoders, etc.

Chertan:

This thread times a million!

You have a heating issue, that's why your graphic card is acting up. Try replacing the thermal paste or just sticking your desktop in the fridge or something.

jesus...

I've declocked my GPU's, put a bigger overclock on my GPU and ran the same mission in Anno 2070 with slightly reduced graphics. Works perfectly now :)

Hornet0404:
Make a mental list of things needing to be upgraded/replaced and turn the settings down in the meantime.

Turned some settings down and the clocks on my cards, that helped :)

In terms of upgrading, the only logical thing is either kepler or waterblocks. And i'm not sure that the waterblocks will fit.

loa:

I do not understand?
Why would I want something that has no integrated memory?
Just because I don't want to willfully destroy or jeopardize the system I spent a lot of money on for comparatively little gain doesn't mean I want trash.

You need to look up the HD3/4000 chips from intel.

I run my computers into the ground, squeezing every bit of 'em before I get something new. Now, I don't actually like fiddling with computers, so whatever I get isn't ever "The very best", but as long as I can play the games I want...

It's worth it in the end, with modding tools and whatnot, I feel so limited in console-games.

But then again, I don't play that many demanding games, really. And if I do, I'm more than ready to sacrifice some of the pretty.

Go into a corner and weep.After that start saving for an upgrade.Should be ready to do so by December.I can still run everything out on the market on High settings but not at 60 FPS which is something that annoys me.This upgrade I'm planning should fix that though.

Yostbeef:
Go into a corner and weep.After that start saving for an upgrade.Should be ready to do so by December.I can still run everything out on the market on High settings but not at 60 FPS which is something that annoys me.This upgrade I'm planning should fix that though.

What's the upgrade? :)

Lower some settings it doesn't need the highest settings. When games get too much, big upgrade and then I'm good for another maybe 6 years.

I generally upgrade or build a new system if I am at a point where I can't run most things at medium-high at 60FPS.

Lower the settings until it works. I don't upgrade. I just make do with what I have.

fuck everything, turn it all to minimum and attempt again
so far, only Battlefield 3 and NFS The Run were the only ones that defeated my poor system

I turn down settings and lament that I don't have the money for a new graphics card. Still on a Geforce 8600GTS.

votemarvel:
I turn down settings and lament that I don't have the money for a new graphics card. Still on a Geforce 8600GTS.

Those were fantastic cards in their day =D

Snotnarok:
Lower some settings it doesn't need the highest settings. When games get too much, big upgrade and then I'm good for another maybe 6 years.

I get that you're speaking English, but I just don't understand what you're saying :p

ResonanceSD:

I get that you're speaking English, but I just don't understand what you're saying :p

He says lower the settings on games until new games become unplayable then splash out on a big upgrade that should last for 6 years.

Well since we're essentially working off of the capacity of current generation systems... I don't have to worry about that...<.<

since you know even the PS3 is only about a quarter of the power of mah system...<.<

but come next console generation I think I'll be pretty good regardless of upgrades or not...

Sacman:
Well since we're essentially working off of the capacity of current generation systems... I don't have to worry about that...<.<

since you know even the PS3 is only about a quarter of the power of mah system...<.<

but come next console generation I think I'll be pretty good regardless of upgrades or not...

Consoles are usually pretty groundbreaking at launch, then Moore's law kicks in for PCs and they get left in the dust.

Well, I proceed to Origin PC's website and proceed to construct the most expensive computer possible. Then I drool over it, then cry in a corner for not being able to afford it.

Then I turn my settings down. And install the game on my slightly more powerful desktop to see if there's a difference.

Hmmmm

Huh, don't really think I'll ever need to do anything :D

MercurySteam:
Hmmmm

I've got that cooler. That's a Thermalright SA isn't it?

EDIT: I've got the same case as well. =D

Change the graphics level. If it still doesn't work it will most likely stutter, which I can live with so long as I can maintain above 25 fps most of the time. Hell Arkham city became a slide show in some sections (god damn motion blur) but I lived with it.

BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) Dual Core Processor 2200 (2 CPUS), ~2.oGHz
RAM: 1918MB available.
Hard drive: 138 gigabytes total, 12.4 left :D (you have no idea how often i max it, and have to clean whole system of shits).

Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC
Approximate total memory: 825

Been using this computer for five years I think.

I've been able to get away with, by extremely many means and attempts and shitting on the internet with nerd-friends at scripts and models and experts (all for free magically, I'm just kewl like dat) playing Fallout 3 tolerably, and setting mount and blade at lowest settings with 300 troops on map at one time.

I think it's time for an upgrade nonetheless ;).

What am I gonna do? Got 70 bucks in the jar right now.... hmmmm, I think I could get a decent PC with quad and 8 gig of ram, 500 HD (which is all i need tbh) for a good 400 bucks on neweggs, especially lucky if I get it on sale.

Then I'll just buy a kick-ass budget card. I'll prolly try a GTX.

So yeah.

ResonanceSD:

MercurySteam:
Hmmmm

I've got that cooler. That's a Thermalright SA isn't it?

EDIT: I've got the same case as well. =D

Yep, unfortunately I'm not getting great temps in summer cause of how warn my room gets. Gonna get a Corsair Hydro cooler possibly for my next system.

ResonanceSD:
A (somewhat) hypothetical question.

When you've reached the limits of what you can push in terms of performance, what do you do? Upgrade or live with it? I'm asking because a recent gaming session knocked my graphics card offline for a few minutes due to temperatures XD

I research resolutions to the issue, then plan on upgrading later. In your case, I'd look at buying some cheap cooling options, possibly looking at a new case with better airflow. Then look at upgrading in the future when cash flow is better.

Selvec:

ResonanceSD:
A (somewhat) hypothetical question.

When you've reached the limits of what you can push in terms of performance, what do you do? Upgrade or live with it? I'm asking because a recent gaming session knocked my graphics card offline for a few minutes due to temperatures XD

I research resolutions to the issue, then plan on upgrading later. In your case, I'd look at buying some cheap cooling options, possibly looking at a new case with better airflow. Then look at upgrading in the future when cash flow is better.

Solved the issue by removing the overclock from my GPUs. =D Airflow is fine with 11 total fans.

Adam Jensen:

ResonanceSD:
how far in advance are you plannign to build?

From the moment I build the PC. But that's just me. I plan and analyze things all the time.

That was a very Jensen response. Have you been to the tumblr?

OT: I can still run Skyrim at 60FPS with a 4 year old card and an average CPU on medium settings. I don't need the ultra realistic graphic "ohmygoditsfullofstars" mod packs that tweak the pixels such that you can see a barbarian's ass hair.

But if I did want to see all that, I'd just get another card and maybe consider getting a CPU with 3.0+ ghz.

PC GAMING MASTER RACE

Freechoice:

Adam Jensen:

ResonanceSD:
how far in advance are you plannign to build?

From the moment I build the PC. But that's just me. I plan and analyze things all the time.

That was a very Jensen response. Have you been to the tumblr?

OT: I can still run Skyrim at 60FPS with a 4 year old card and an average CPU on medium settings. I don't need the ultra realistic graphic "ohmygoditsfullofstars" mod packs that tweak the pixels such that you can see a barbarian's ass hair.

But if I did want to see all that, I'd just get another card and maybe consider getting a CPU with 3.0+ ghz.

PC GAMING MASTER RACE

Wait, your cpu isn't even a P4?

Also

been here?

https://twitter.com/#!/AdamJensenSI :P

The thing I use to game is a 5-6 year old toshiba laptop, 32 bit with vista, 2 gig's of ram and a broken fan that overheats playing LoL. Also, it takes two hours to take apart and another 2 to put back together again, and I don't really have access to upgrades at the moment.

Fun times.

Well, I hunt for a good deal on upgrades. One of the benefits of creating a custom computer. Almost every part can be replaced without problems.

MercurySteam:
Hmmmm

holy fans batman

what cards you got in that big beast?

very impressive, and jealous, although i do love my case dearly so idk if i'll ever give it up..

Matthew94:

Imper1um:
To be honest, I build systems that stand the test of time for at least two years. At the moment, no PC game has "rocked" my system because it just doesn't exist (yet), even though the GFX Cards (plural...2) are 8 months old, and the CPU is 12 months old. The Dual-card setup is working amazingly. Alone, a single card probably could be killed by all the HD Patches I put on Skyrim, but together, the cards are working in tandem which mean my framerate with all HD at Maximum on Skyrim is operating at 76 FPS inside, 49 FPS outside in full view.

When I hit the "limits" of my system, I start researching for a new setup. I find the weakest link (slow RAM, slow CPU, slow GPU) and aim to replace only that component (unless old components are incompatible with new components). If I find that the computer is still underperforming, I perform further upgrades.

2 years isn't very long.

Anyway, what GPUs are you running and at what res to say that a single card wouldn't be enough?

I tried running Skyrim with full HD packs on 1920x on my GTX 460...didn't turn out very well. Put a dual card in there and now it takes the Physics and uses the second card as a Physics card, which is great. Went from 13-29 FPS to 49+.

Dirty Hipsters:
Why in god's name do you need TRIPLE monitors?!

Dwarf Fortress in center screen.
Dwarf Therapist on Right Screen.
Dwarf Stonesense on Left Screen.

>_>.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked